• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not? it's a perfectly legitimate way to make money. It's not like it's child labor or something. Nobody is forcing anyone to live in a particular place. Often times renting a room from a private landlord is much cheaper than renting an apartment from an apartment company.

it sounds like your problem is that you don't like people making money and that you have a problem with earning it yourself.

Nope, my job pays decently enough, and I'm fine with people making money. I just don't think people should make money purely because they already had money. I mean this is basically one of my biggest issues with capitalism, people privately owning capital means that they can use that capital to obtain more capital, so the people with the most capital can keep on earning more and more while the people with nothing can't do shit about it. It's a positive feedback loop that only really helps those who don't need the help. And don't take this as me thinking everything about capitalism is garbage, some very good things have come out of it and it's infinitely better than what came before, but there are fundamental things about it that I really dislike.

rRZFurc.png

Really love this guy's freckles.

I had to crop because it's a nude.

Misha

Banned
Nope, my job pays decently enough, and I'm fine with people making money. I just don't think people should make money purely because they already had money. I mean this is basically one of my biggest issues with capitalism, people privately owning capital means that they can use that capital to obtain more capital, so the people with the most capital can keep on earning more and more while the people with nothing can't do shit about it. It's a positive feedback loop that only really helps those who don't need the help. And don't take this as me thinking everything about capitalism is garbage, some very good things have come out of it and it's infinitely better than what came before, but there are fundamental things about it that I really dislike.

I'm assuming you feel the same about any apartment complex and rental company?

I'd much rather pay an individual than one of them if given the choice

zeemumu

This comic, man...

Why would you do that to the corpses of Punisher's family and then put it on television? Reputation doesn't mean shit when you're marked for death.

zeemumu

So this girl is fairly attractive but she's the best friend of someone I hate don't care for and from her Tumblr I'm getting a clingy feeling. I should stay away, right?

Halcyon

I'm surprised I don't have freckles. My mother is a straight up ginger.

So this girl is fairly attractive but she's the best friend of someone I hate don't care for and from her Tumblr I'm getting a clingy feeling. I should stay away, right?

Hit it and quit it homie.

Marrec, I'm about 3/4 way through Hard Boiled and man...I can see why this is your favourite Murakami joint.

I prefer Kafka only because of it's pacing but man Hard Boiled Wonderland is a damn blast to read through.

Only Murakami I've read so far is Norwegian Wood.

It was depressing. But I enjoyed it. It seems to be his most mundane work, but there's still this undercurrent of slight surrealism throughout.

And don't take this as me thinking everything about capitalism is garbage, some very good things have come out of it and it's infinitely better than what came before, but there are fundamental things about it that I really dislike.

Would a good, progressive tax system (including not stashing money in Ireland or Panama or wherever) make things OK in your book? It makes things more palatable to me. I am not familiar with the UK, but I think it's appalling in the US how little the rich are taxed compared to Canada.

It was depressing. But I enjoyed it. It seems to be his most mundane work, but there's still this undercurrent of slight surrealism throughout.

That's next on my list for sure.

There's something oppresively hollow about his writing while at the same time dreamy that hooks me by the cheek.

marrec

Banned

Norwegian Wood is a pretty good book but ya, for a Murakami book it's so mundane. Compared to his other works it is probably his most grounded, even his autobiographical book.

If you enjoyed Norwegian Wood you would probably really like The Wind-up Bird Chronicle as it's also very approachable like Norwegian Wood. I personally like his more esoteric stuff like Hard Boiled Wonderland and Dance, Dance, Dance.

Marrec, I'm about 3/4 way through Hard Boiled and man...I can see why this is your favourite Murakami joint.

I prefer Kafka only because of it's pacing but man Hard Boiled Wonderland is a damn blast to read through.

I think it's a perfect example of Murakami showing all his strengths in characterization and surrealism mixed with a large dab of sci-fi that we don't really ever get to see again until IQ84 (which isn't as good).

Kafka's great, but Wonderland was a fucking revelation for me.

That's next on my list for sure.

There's something oppresively hollow about his writing while at the same time dreamy that hooks me by the cheek.

The protagonists in Wonderland and A Wild Sheep Chase (and Dance, Dance, Dance obviously) and many of his other works have this abstracted film noir stylization that is perfect to populate his surreal worlds with. Ugh, I'd honestly love it if he went back to the smaller style novels like Dance, Dance, Dance instead of these big epics like IQ84 and Kafka.

very good opinions

I'm with you there in agreement, the story hinges on these two characters rather than characters being swept up with the driven situation.

I get vibes of bio-cyberpunk (like how the mind goes through the shuffling technique) from HBW which I REALLY want more of in general

Sneaky edit : I enjoyed 1Q84 but I felt that the two book structure really hurt it in the long run which led to the last few chapters rushing to "wrap that shit up".
I agree with you where it's good but not GREAT.

And yeah I love his shorter more "intimate" stories (although I stand with my love for Kafka haha). I really hope that we get an official release of the short story collection collab between him and Itoi. Apparently it's absolutely batshit insane.

Double edit : I see those recommendations YKN! haha consider them noted :D

marrec

Banned
Just to throw some random book recs out there.

I guess the general theme is literary and makes me crie evry tiem. A Little Life is seriously torturous by the end. Still not over its ending nearly a year later.

I've read Fates and Furies and The Remains of the Day from that list, well, listened too anyway.

I'm not reading too much Fiction these days as I'm voraciously tearing through all of Audible's non-fiction category, mostly history. I've been able to build a very thorough understanding of the late 19th and 20th centuries.

Once I'm done with this obsession I have a huge backlog of Fiction to get through :(

Misha

Banned
@marrec fyi fiction is usually lowercased. The last line made me think you were borrowing books from your sister for a minute :p

marrec

Banned
@marrec fyi fiction is usually lowercased. The last line made me think you were borrowing books from your sister for a minute :p

Ya I have a problem with needlessly capitalizing Words.

Unrelated; I'm super part of the problem, I'm going to buy Worlds of Final Fantasy just because it looks so adorable.

Symphonia

Banned
I kind of owe you guys an apology for my attitude over the last couple of weeks. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I've had a lot on my plate. My friend moved, my social life has been cut right down, I'm losing out on sleep, I'm getting older, and I haven't really achieved anything with my life. I'm two years from turning 30 and what do I have to show for my life? Nothing. At all. I just hate myself for not making the most of my life and now I'm at a point where its too late to do anything about it.

But I will get over it in time. I just need to take each day as it comes. I need to face facts that I done goofed with my life. The sooner I accept that, the better. I just wanted to apologise for the way I've been in here. I'll try and stop.

Hope you can forgive me.

FloatOn

I kind of owe you guys an apology for my attitude over the last couple of weeks. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I've had a lot on my plate. My friend moved, my social life has been cut right down, I'm losing out on sleep, I'm getting older, and I haven't really achieved anything with my life. I'm two years from turning 30 and what do I have to show for my life? Nothing. At all. I just hate myself for not making the most of my life and now I'm at a point where its too late to do anything about it.

But I will get over it in time. I just need to take each day as it comes. I need to face facts that I done goofed with my life. The sooner I accept that, the better. I just wanted to apologise for the way I've been in here. I'll try and stop.

Hope you can forgive me.

no worries!

it's never too late to make a change for the better. I was married to my ex for 7 years and when the divorce came it basically and predicatably ruined me. 6 months later my kidneys failed so as you can imagine I was in a pretty bad place.

this all went down about a year ago and since then I've been able to turn things around somewhat. I'm not saying this to brag but to give you an example that change for the better is possible.

it takes time and being around good people but it will get better. most of all though never tell yourself it's too late. I mean hell man, you are only 28. I'm 33 and I consider myself to be pretty young despite what I've been through.

keep your head up.

zeemumu

Hope you can forgive me.

No worries. It's not too late to change shit until you're dead. Just start on something now and don't worry about thinking that it's too late to accomplish anything because you're in the process of accomplishing something. If I can paraphrase from the bible for a moment: stop worrying about what's behind you or you'll end up salty. That's how that story goes, right?

marrec

Banned

Hope you can forgive me.

Hey, you're only 28 and there's a long, long time before you can start lamenting the lack of action in your life. Make a change now, get busy livin, and don't look back. You're young as hell and just entering the start of your physical and mental prime.

There are some old farts in this thread who are just getting on with doing something big and important in their lives, it really is almost never too late. You didn't goof and there's nothing saying that 10 years from now you won't be exactly where you want to be.

Also, no need to apologize, most of us are assholes here.

FloatOn

Hey, you're only 28 and there's a long, long time before you can start lamenting the lack of action in your life. Make a change now, get busy livin, and don't look back. You're young as hell and just entering the start of your physical and mental prime.

There are some old farts in this thread who are just getting on with doing something big and important in their lives, it really is almost never too late. You didn't goof and there's nothing saying that 10 years from now you won't be exactly where you want to be.

Also, no need to apologize, most of us are assholes here.

yes to all of this but especially the bolded.

truer words never said on fakegaf

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm downloading Borderlands: The Handsome Collection now so I can play through it with my brother this weekend. We blocked out the whole weekend so we won't be interrupted. I don't think I can properly express how excited this makes me!
Lili I love Borderlands but that's too much Borderlands. At least play Tales from the Borderlands after 2 instead of the pre-sequel. :D
I love how you don't even mention that you win the tournament. Or that you won the semis and the finals undefeated, and went 11-3 in the finals, the largest point margain and the highest score of the night.

This motherfucker

N2KOK9V.gif
I did say we took the crown haha. And great gif, what a guy.

Misha

Banned

Hope you can forgive me.

Theres two things that I think are important to remember when you consider age:

Age is relative. What we are keeping track of is how many years we're on the earth instead of what stage in our life we're at.

A fulfilling life doesn't need to be defined by anything in particular. Its important to enjoy yourself and experience the day to day. Achievements are nice, but they're only one aspect of what makes a life worth living

Its definitely hard to remember those with how western culture is but for me at least, its liberating to recall those from time to time :)

My coworker and I took the crown tonight in the 2v2 tourney I mentioned! Free shirt and booze yeeee.

Can watch the archive at showdowngg's twitch. We didn't play on stream until later.

The match to watch is at 2:26:00 where it's my coworker and I (team LuPe) against Space Puppies. They were the second best team in the tourney but we met in the semis. Really close games.

Fuck it was fun, and met a ton of new people to play with. Fun as hell!
Thats so awesome man. Congrats.

Rocket League is amazing. Its probably the longest I've ever played a game steadily everyday. We had some fake gaf games going a while back.

Symphonia

Banned
No worries. It's not too late to change shit until you're dead. Just start on something now and don't worry about thinking that it's too late to accomplish anything because you're in the process of accomplishing something. If I can paraphrase from the bible for a moment: stop worrying about what's behind you or you'll end up salty. That's how that story goes, right?
I can see where you - and everyone else - is coming from, but I just feel like a failure. I look at my friends and they have their own homes, they're married, have kids, a successful job, etc. Then I look at me, and I see...nothing. I live in a flat, I've been single for nearly six years, I haven't seen my daughter in two years, and I work in a phone shop. I mean, Jesus, I have to question my very existence each and every day when I wake up. I ask myself why I'm here, why I'm alive, and would anyone suffer from me dying. And the answer is I have no purpose, and no-one would miss me. And then it takes every inch of restraint within my body to not kill myself.

I can see where you - and everyone else - is coming from, but I just feel like a failure. I look at my friends and they have their own homes, they're married, have kids, a successful job, etc. Then I look at me, and I see...nothing. I live in a flat, I've been single for nearly six years, I haven't seen my daughter in two years, and I work in a phone shop. I mean, Jesus, I have to question my very existence each and every day when I wake up. I ask myself why I'm here, why I'm alive, and would anyone suffer from me dying. And the answer is I have no purpose, and no-one would miss me. And then it takes every inch of restraint within my body to not kill myself.

We'd miss you. I can tell you that with full confidence that everyone in this thread likes having you around. And don't apologise, you have nothing to apologise about. You've done nothing wrong.

Have you spoken to your GP about any of this? Please do if you haven't, you don't deserve to feel like this.

so uh, i got my new iphone and for the first time im using the dedicated messenger app.

Didnt realise this app saves all your sent pictures from way back in an easy to access folder. So my cock pics i sent to my ex ages ago are easily viewable if i give anyone my phone

great

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I'm getting older, and I haven't really achieved anything with my life. I'm two years from turning 30 and what do I have to show for my life? Nothing. At all. I just hate myself for not making the most of my life and now I'm at a point where its too late to do anything about it.

Bah, do not think so. I am almost 31 and haven't achieved anything in my life, other than engineering diploma with which can I only wipe my butt, because there are no available jobs around here.
And I am still living at parents house, been single for over a year and my social life is quite boring.

But I believe that better times are around the corner. I hope so :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
so uh, i got my new iphone and for the first time im using the dedicated messenger app.

Didnt realise this app saves all your sent pictures from way back in an easy to access folder. So my cock pics i sent to my ex ages ago are easily viewable if i give anyone my phone

great

You can send me the pics
clock-eyebrow.gif

zeemumu

You can't deem yourself a failure based on other people's lives. Everyone's got their own life and their own pace at which they do things, but progress is inevitable.

Halcyon

great

My wife has a few floating around on hers and they got saved to her cloud. She uses an old iphone for music at her business which she runs with her sister.

You can see where this is going.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

great

Pretty easy to delete.

Also, that's why SnapChat is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom