• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutFox

Banned
I really enjoyed the 1st part of Star Wars TFA.
Basically until Han Solo shows up and then the movie just doesn't feel the same.

The pacing was great up until that point too...

And are we talking about heavy details about Episode VII now? Can we not wait until at least the 18th when I'll probably get my BD copy? I've held out for this long without seeing the movie.
Do you have something against theaters?

I don't want to be insensitive but we're talking about the biggest event in nerd culture in years, and the biggest box office hit since 2009's Avatar. There ought to have been ample opportunity to see the film and especially plenty of imperative, so it follows that the vast majority of people who haven't seen it yet are those who simply don't want to, or who have had other things that they considered more important and thus forfeit their original window by choice. It's extremely selfish to implore that that the vast majority censor their conversation simply because one or two people would rather not hear it.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Do you have something against theaters?

I don't want to be insensitive but we're talking about the biggest event in nerd culture in years, and the biggest box office hit since 2009's Avatar. There ought to have been ample opportunity to see the film and especially plenty of imperative, so it follows that the vast majority of people who haven't seen it yet are those who simply don't want to, or who have had other things that they considered more important and thus forfeit their original window by choice. It's extremely selfish to implore that that the vast majority censor their conversation simply because one or two people would rather not hear it.
I thought I would be better off if I watched it in the comfort of my own home for this one. I wasn't really that excited for this one like most people are.

I actually hate heights. But I wasn't about to do the Marines or the Army and the Navy didn't interest me either (mostly because my parents kept telling to do it and I have no interest sailing around on a cramped ship).

I thought I would be better off if I watched it in the comfort of my own home for this one. I wasn't really that excited for this one like most people are.
Well that's what I'm saying. In your lack of enthusiasm, you opted to forgo seeing the film before its plot and secrets had been absorbed into public culture and conversation. It's unfair to only care about a movie when it suits you and then ask others to bend around your peculiarities.

Maybe I have a hard time understanding because spoilers don't bother me, and there have even been times when I've sought out spoilers intentionally (Game of Thrones S5, Batman v Superman). But I also just love talking and sharing culture with people.

Misha

Banned
I wish I was the kind of person who could just say they wanted to do something and go out and do it. things just take a lot emotionally out of me...

Maybe I have a hard time understanding because spoilers don't bother me, and there have even been times when I've sought out spoilers intentionally (Game of Thrones S5, Batman v Superman). But I also just love talking and sharing culture with people.

I'm the kind of person that reads the last page of the book a quarter of the way through cause I think it provides interesting context (also it tells me if its worth keeping up with)

Well that's what I'm saying. In your lack of enthusiasm, you opted to forgo seeing the film before its plot and secrets had been absorbed into public culture and conversation. It's unfair to only care about a movie when it suits you and then ask others to bend around your peculiarities.

Being fair

Doing this isn't particularly hard

Halcyon

My "I hate neogaf" gauge is rising as i'm browsing OT.

Why can't people on the internet just express their views without being condescending twats. Like every comment is being judged by a panel at a dunk contest. OOOOHHHHHH SNAPP SON.

I'm too old.

zeemumu

Why can't people on the internet just express their views without being condescending twats. Like every comment is being judged by a panel at a dunk contest. OOOOHHHHHH SNAPP SON.

I'm too old.

Gotta get those quotes, son.

I wish I was the kind of person who could just say they wanted to do something and go out and do it. things just take a lot emotionally out of me...

I can do that with instant decisions (like going to the movies) but not with stuff that takes constant commitment. That requires a bit more thought from me because I'm going to have to plan out time.

Consequently I'm mulling over resubscribing to loot crate. That doesn't take commitment from me as much as it does commitment from my bank account. If I do it I'll only keep the stuff I want.

I do a lot on a whim. I think it helps that growing up I was allowed to think nothing was impossible. It can be hard to balance impulsiveness and careful judgment sometimes, but I'm getting better at it.

I'm too old.
No, you're not too old. I had to install a thread-hiding plugin a few months ago because otherwise much of OT is too oppressive, antagonizing and discouraging.

FloatOn

Ditching school tonight due to emotionally draining work circumstances. I'm tapped out mentally right now. I think I may spend the rest of the evening watching cartoons and playing video games.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
And are we talking about heavy details about Episode VII now? Can we not wait until at least the 18th when I'll probably get my BD copy? I've held out for this long without seeing the movie.

If you haven't seen the biggest movie of the past decade in the three and a half months since release you can't really play the spoiler card. That's on you.

zeemumu

About a month ago, my best friend decided it was finally time to go see episode VII. The only reason she hadn't gone sooner was because she hated crowded theaters, and she had managed to dodge spoilers that entire time. So we're in the theater, and this family with 3 kids walks in and sits down behind us. The kids wouldn't shut up and had clearly already seen the movie because they were discussing spoilers before they happened. My friend spent the rest of the movie in a bad mood after one of the kids let it drop that
Han Solo dies
long before that scene had happened in the theater. It was then that I realized that all spoiler bets were pretty much off and that you shouldn't bring children to movie that they've already seen. The world is dark and cruel and full of spoilers.

What I'm saying is go see it now.

FloatOn

If you haven't seen the biggest movie of the past decade in the three and a half months since release you can't really play the spoiler card. That's on you.

Lilith said the same thing. I'm sure this guy already feels bad enough as it is. I hate to see people ganging up on people in our friendly thread so I guess what I'm calling for here is for people to be more cognizant of what has already been expressed.

Halcyon

Lilith said the same thing. I'm sure this guy already feels bad enough as it is. I hate to see people ganging up on people in our friendly thread so I guess what I'm calling for here is for people to be more cognizant of what has already been expressed.

You shut your hole float and drink your cough medicine.

Now let's get back to skull fucking the Star Wars Johnny come latelys

Granadier

Eh, I posted before reading the whole thread.

Misha

Banned
I do a lot on a whim. I think it helps that growing up I was allowed to think nothing was impossible. It can be hard to balance impulsiveness and careful judgment sometimes, but I'm getting better at it.

I was actually way too cautious and would read spoilers and such to control the way I experienced the media.

Brrr... I picked a lousy day to ride my bike to work. Not gonna stop raining for several hours. What the heck SoCal.

I just put new dye in last night too, so that's going to fun cleaning up when I get home.

We've lost past Fakers here due to open spoilers.
Just gonna leave that here.
I'm glad you said this. The last thing I want is for people to feel uncomfortable browsing or posting here.

I was actually way too cautious and would read spoilers and such to control the way I experienced the media.
There's something comforting about knowing, especially if you feel like it's something you should know. Not to defend my earlier behavior, but I liked TFA a lot more the second and third time. It's like a comfort food, something you know intimately and have vast familiarity with, so the not knowing so much really irked me on my first viewing.

Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but it's how I approached it.

MutFox

Banned
I'm glad you said this. The last thing I want is for people to feel uncomfortable browsing or posting here.

Was hoping they would come back, but they never did. :(
It was some game of thrones spoiler if I remember correctly.

I don't mind spoilers if they're hidden, cause it's my fault if I click it...
Sometimes I just have to click though... :|

There's something comforting about knowing, especially if you feel like it's something you should know. Not to defend my earlier behavior, but I liked TFA a lot more the second and third time. It's like a comfort food, something you know intimately and have vast familiarity with, so the not knowing so much really irked me on my first viewing.

Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but it's how I approached it.

One of the main problems I have with spoilers is that you're only ever going to get that first time through a story, with any surprises, once. Like, you can't take back that knowledge. So things like The Wire, which improves on subsequent rewatches, the first time through without spoilers is still significant because you won't expect certain deaths to happen and stuff, and if you have them spoiled then you'll never really get to have that initial "Wait holy shit" moment executed in it's purest form.

Was hoping they would come back, but they never did. :(
It was some game of thrones spoiler if I remember correctly.

I don't mind spoilers if they're hidden, cause it's my fault if I click it...
Sometimes I just have to click though... :|

Who's this? I can't remember

Good evening, you sexy fuckers.

ZrXgNsp.gif

Granadier

Girl matches with me on Tinder.
Has "send me dick pics" in bio.
Asked me if I liked her just to send pics.
Say no, was gonna send Dick Cheney.
Unmatched.

Guess she wanted to see dong.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Misha

Banned
And I don't wanna be an old man anymore
It's been a year or two since I was out on the floor
Shaking booty, making sweet love all the night
It's time I got back to the good life

FUME5

Oh god, the seas are crazy today. So much puke everywhere

I would have thought people who enlisted in the navy would have their sea legs.

I'm too old.

I'm older than you junior. And just remember you have a banging wife and could take most of these nerds in a fight.

Girl matches with me on Tinder.
Has "send me dick pics" in bio.
Asked me if I liked her just to send pics.
Say no, was gonna send Dick Cheney.
Unmatched.

Guess she wanted to see dong.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Why didn't you represent for the standard GAF 7' squad?

Also, why did a writer from IGN start following me on Twitter? Who have you been talking to Jobbs?

FUME5

We have a lot of new people and plus the seas are exceptionally insane.

Insane enough that even you are a little green around the gills?

I want to marry all the trolls in Witcher. they're so cute.

I may have had a sudden insight into your dating woes.

A friend posted on Facebook about message requests, had a look at mine and see a message from one of my good friends from highschool, hope she's not too pissed with the 9 month response time...

FloatOn

Had a few bites of shrimp fried rice and a vegetable spring roll for dinner. I don't even feel like eating.

Pretty sure I'm just going to call it a night early. I need some good sleep and some delicious cold brew in the morning.

Worked really sucked today guys.

FUME5

Had a few bites of shrimp fried rice and a vegetable spring roll for dinner. I don't even feel like eating.

Pretty sure I'm just going to call it a night early. I need some good sleep and some delicious cold brew in the morning.

Getting drunk first thing in the morning? I like your style, Florida Man.

Nah, I'm just sleepy. As soon as I get off watch I'm hitting the shower and my rack.

Figured you'd be staunch.

Kevyt

Debating if I should go to the bar tomorrow for my birthday or stay at home and play video games/watch Netflix.

Maybe I could get free drinks if that bar has that type of promotion but I don't like alcoholic drinks.

I'm wondering if bars have non-alcoholic drinks.

Well at least you had a tasty dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom