• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

I have no idea what I'd even want out of panels or vendors tbh

I sorta want to do cosplaying eventually though. I can handle a bit of the social anxiety there (especially if i specifically pic a more stoic or shy character :)) but the idea of the environment that i'd imagine makes me less interested. guess the thing to do is go with friends i'd feel comfortable with a couple times before once again going with friends i'd feel comfortable with to do it
(also here i'm just talking about cons in general. i'd have more interest in a comic or game one for that sort of thing)

this is a current problem for me

I like the idea of cosplaying but I'd only ever want to do it if I could get access to good stuff like:
Batman-cosplay3-06222015.jpg.jpg

I don't have the money time or knowledge to make this happen though.

I can't stand cons. They're the worst. Gaming cons, church cons, screen printing cons, I never want to go to another conference in my life. Stressful, expensive, and most of the good information you could have found online anyway.

I was glad to not be fat for a license picture for a change. My last one was horrendous.

oh haha what a relief! Seriously, never gonna not be impressed at how far you've come. :)

Yay, same height people!.... and more than half the weight... okay, I know you're skinny, but isn't that kind of pushing it?
I suppose you get that a lot though.

That's the joke. I wrote in a bunch of erroneous information because the attendant didn't care. In real life I'm 5'6", 130 lbs and naturally brunette.

Misha

Banned
Yay, same height people!.... and more than half the weight... okay, I know you're skinny, but isn't that kind of pushing it?
I suppose you get that a lot though.

*COUGH*
I'm the perfect height for my gender, 5'6", which is at the edge of the range for normal (standard deviation) heights for women.

(I remembered that post because that means I'm outside of the normal height for women :( )

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I've only been to a single conference and it was for Cocoa devs. It ended up being a great time to make connections and learn, but I'm not a huge extrovert so it was exhausting as hell.

Misha

Banned
I like the idea of cosplaying but I'd only ever want to do it if I could get access to good stuff like:

I don't have the money time or knowledge to make this happen though.
I'd only pick something that is fabric based. fortunately lots of recent female superhero costumes are awesome (spider gwen, batgirl, ms marvel etc) and theres a lot more options
I can't stand cons. They're the worst. Gaming cons, church cons, screen printing cons, I never want to go to another conference in my life. Stressful, expensive, and most of the good information you could have found online anyway.

I had no idea there were church cons and wouldn't the screen printing thing be more of a trade show?

I can't say I have any interest in doing any professionally. just as a backdrop to hangout and stuff

Halcyon

oh haha what a relief! Seriously, never gonna not be impressed at how far you've come. :)

I've been to just the 1 comic convention. I think i've mentioned it as it was with my mom in Columbus. I could smell Jobbs's feet from the convention center.

It was kinda neat, but kinda weird. I didn't fit in. I saw alot of boobs and William Shatner and said hi to Lou Ferrigno, Ray Park, and Sean Astin who were just milling about unattended.

----

I'm pretty happy with my current cut. I put on a little bit of sympathy pregnancy weight moreso than I was expecting but I got it all pretty much under control now.

IQJouiNl.jpg

(I remembered that post because that means I'm outside of the normal height for women :( )

What, there's nothing wrong with tall women. Why would that upset you? I was just being playful.

I had no idea there were church cons and wouldn't the screen printing thing be more of a trade show?

I can't say I have any interest in doing any professionally. just as a backdrop to hangout and stuff

Is there a significant difference between a conference and a trade show? Either way there are hundreds of booths to browse, dozens of panels to sit in on, and everybody there has something to sell you or a new improved way to live your life that you've been missing out on.

I don't know why I completely missed the idea of a joke there. I realized it at first and then got tunnelvisioned into the weight thing. :\

also, 180 cm is 5'9 apparently, so that's a thing (where are my goddamn heeeeeeeeels). Good thing that going to Eastern Europe fixed that where you're suddenly capable of going "FI FA FO FUM" and it would be totally legit. :>
(don't actually do that though)

Misha

Banned
What, there's nothing wrong with tall women. Why would that upset you? I was just being playful.

I'm mostly joking. I just find it jarring everytime i hear that when it always felt like i've been fairly average my entire life. people around me (guys and girls) seem to keep closer to the human average rather than gender averages. I generally like my height though (5'8)

Is there a significant difference between a conference and a trade show? Either way there are hundreds of booths to browse, dozens of panels to sit in on, and everybody there has something to sell you or a new improved way to live your life that you've been missing out on.

well a con and a trade show definitely. conference and trade show i think there is but i'm not entirely sure of the distinction. I do know that with trade shows though everyones looking to buy, sell, or just scope out products
tbf I haven't been to any, I just heard about them from other people like my dad who as a salesperson used to go to trade shows all over the world

MutFox

Banned
Haha, cons, yes, most of them you can get the info online. :p
Though I've never been to a gaming con, would wanna go at some point.

MutFox

Banned
I'm mostly joking. I just find it jarring everytime i hear that when it always felt like i've been fairly average my entire life. people around me (guys and girls) seem to keep closer to the human average rather than gender averages. I generally like my height though (5'8)

5'8 is a good height. :p
I'm 5'11, which feels fine to me too... :D

Misha

Banned
Haha, cons, yes, most of them you can get the info online. :p
Though I've never been to a gaming con, would wanna go at some point.

what like google to see if they've had any arrests for sexual assault or terrorist threats? :p

5'8 is a good height. :p
I'm 5'11, which feels fine to me too... :D
The way I've always seen it, I never have to crane my neck particularly hard to talk to anyone. 99% of the population is +/- a foot from me

marrec

Banned
well a con and a trade show definitely. conference and trade show i think there is but i'm not entirely sure of the distinction. I do know that with trade shows though everyones looking to buy, sell, or just scope out products
tbf I haven't been to any, I just heard about them from other people like my dad who as a salesperson used to go to trade shows all over the world

In my experience, Conferences have an educational element to them, with talks and workshops, while Trade Shows are all about buying and selling.

April 8th and there's a blizzard outside.

I've been to just the 1 comic convention. I think i've mentioned it as it was with my mom in Columbus. I could smell Jobbs's feet from the convention center.

It was kinda neat, but kinda weird. I didn't fit in. I saw alot of boobs and William Shatner and said hi to Lou Ferrigno, Ray Park, and Sean Astin who were just milling about unattended.

----

I'm pretty happy with my current cut. I put on a little bit of sympathy pregnancy weight moreso than I was expecting but I got it all pretty much under control now.

IQJouiNl.jpg

Got damn now I want some gains myself.

E: baseball caps are so go goddamn stylish, even da gawd himself, Shinji Mikami wears them. #SoDamnFine

Misha

Banned
Went to the next floor for the restroom since all the toilets are clogged. The toilets are fine here but somehow it smells worse. How do you make that happen?

marrec

Banned
I have done nothing today work-wise.

Buying shit on amazon and listening to weird tribal music.

At least half of my working time is working to figure out how I can do less work.

Can't wait for this weekend, I'm going out to the Tanger Outlet mall and it's going to be fun looking at all the clothes I -can't- wear because no one stocks Tall sizes in stores.

zeemumu

Did you get a good picture at least?

When I last renewed my license my attendant either didn't care or wasn't paying attention because they let me put all sorts of erroneous information on the record. I had to wait in line for four hours but it was worth it to be 5'10", 90 lbs and blue haired.

My last picture was back when I was like 16 or 17 and still had my cornrows. I keep my hair short now so it's gonna be a weird transition.

I have no idea what I'd even want out of panels or vendors tbh

I sorta want to do cosplaying eventually though. I can handle a bit of the social anxiety there (especially if i specifically pic a more stoic or shy character :)) but the idea of the environment that i'd imagine makes me less interested. guess the thing to do is go with friends i'd feel comfortable with a couple times before once again going with friends i'd feel comfortable with to do it
(also here i'm just talking about cons in general. i'd have more interest in a comic or game one for that sort of thing)

There's plenty of cool stuff from vendors. The Ash Ketchum hat that I was wearing in that Halloween costume pic that I posted a while back was from one of the vendors of a con that I went to a looooong ass time ago. That was also the con that introduced me to The Walking Dead because it was the same day that the first episode aired (Halloween). You never know what you find in the exhibit hall. Sometimes you buy a bag of replica rupees, sometimes you dump nearly $100 on stuff at the D23 Expo.

As for the anxiety, it can be a little overwhelming if you go on your own and you've never been to a con before (Anime Expo is a bigger con at the LA Convention Center so there are a ton of people) but overall I think you'll be fine if you go with friends. There's no pressure to have to cosplay. If you want to, great. If not, no worries. Not everyone is wearing a costume and your costume doesn't have to be insanely good, either. But keep in mind that people may want to take a picture of you if you cosplay. They'll typically ask you first but it's just something to be aware of.

You can use google to find out if there are any cons going on in your area. I still want to go up north for PAX because I've never been. Gaming conventions are harder to find for me. E3 is industry people only and Blizzcon is expensive as all hell.

Hey, are we doing something with Skype or discord?

We've had a FakeGAF Skype for years.

That's the joke. I wrote in a bunch of erroneous information because the attendant didn't care. In real life I'm 5'6", 130 lbs and naturally brunette.

I got lazy and just re-used the info from the last time I got a license. I'm probably taller than 5'11" by this point.

Halcyon

At least half of my working time is working to figure out how I can do less work.

Can't wait for this weekend, I'm going out to the Tanger Outlet mall and it's going to be fun looking at all the clothes I -can't- wear because no one stocks Tall sizes in stores.

We're going to Grove City Outlets probably in a few weeks if the weather is in any way warmer. I don't look good in "brand name" clothes though so I probably won't get anything for myself.

zeemumu

:(

I was under the assumption there was one.

You aren't missing much. Me, Dragonz, Windam, and YKN (and occasionally TDM) are the only people who still post in there, and it's mostly YKN discussing politics while Windam raves like a madman.

I really need to go to D23 Expo again.

Misha

Banned
Haha, you know what cons I meant! XD
same ones I'm talking about. I've just heard a lot of bad news over the years (but i'm making a joke anyway)
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat
https://bitchmedia.org/post/how-big...-big-survey-sdcc-emerald-city-cosplay-consent
There's plenty of cool stuff from vendors. The Ash Ketchum hat that I was wearing in that Halloween costume pic that I posted a while back was from one of the vendors of a con that I went to a looooong ass time ago. That was also the con that introduced me to The Walking Dead because it was the same day that the first episode aired (Halloween). You never know what you find in the exhibit hall. Sometimes you buy a bag of replica rupees, sometimes you dump nearly $100 on stuff at the D23 Expo.

As for the anxiety, it can be a little overwhelming if you go on your own and you've never been to a con before (Anime Expo is a bigger con at the LA Convention Center so there are a ton of people) but overall I think you'll be fine if you go with friends. There's no pressure to have to cosplay. If you want to, great. If not, no worries. Not everyone is wearing a costume and your costume doesn't have to be insanely good, either. But keep in mind that people may want to take a picture of you if you cosplay. They'll typically ask you first but it's just something to be aware of.
I'm not much of a trinket kind of person. pretty much has to be practical and high quality. craft fairs and such are boring for me for that reason

you know I think i'd really be interested in one for western animation.

cosplaying would be literally half the reason i'd want to go to a con tho. I mean i'd do it on my own but that doesn't sound like much fun
We're going to Grove City Outlets probably in a few weeks if the weather is in any way warmer. I don't look good in "brand name" clothes though so I probably won't get anything for myself.

thats like 15 minutes from where i live

zeemumu

Is Windam a legit shit head or is it just an act?

I never interacted with him too much.

It's like a Batman Bruce Wayne thing. You don't know which one's the alter ego anymore.

I'm not much of a trinket kind of person. pretty much has to be practical and high quality. craft fairs and such are boring for me for that reason

you know I think i'd really be interested in one for western animation.

cosplaying would be literally half the reason i'd want to go to a con tho. I mean i'd do it on my own but that doesn't sound like much fun

There are ones that are a combination of everything. Wondercon was pretty much a combination of tv, cartoons, anime, and gaming. The creator of Invader Zim was there. I got him to sign my comic book. Then I got one of the artists for the Steven Universe comic to sign another comic book as a gift for my friend.

Misha

Banned
I live like 30 minutes northeast. I'd rather shop in Erie, but /shrug
we rarely ever go to grove city anymore. usually south side works or ross park mall if we're going somewhere since they have some more specialty stores like ll bean

plus theres way too many canadians

Good thing there's internet and online gaming! :D

Though for solitary outdoor experiences, got myself a motorcycle. :p

last time I played a non-hearthstone game online was probably 2012
There are ones that are a combination of everything. Wondercon was pretty much a combination of tv, cartoons, anime, and gaming. The creator of Invader Zim was there. I got him to sign my comic book. Then I got one of the artists for the Steven Universe comic to sign another comic book as a gift for my friend.

Can't say I'd travel beyond the tristate area for that so I'd probably miss most of the good stuff (steven universe primarily)

Halcyon

we rarely ever go to grove city anymore. usually south side works or ross park mall if we're going somewhere since they have some more specialty stores like ll bean

I don't particularly like any of the stores and it's not any cheaper than just going to a mall, but the mrs likes a few places.

We went to the ross park mall over christmas. I like Nordstroms and Cheesecake Factory so that's enough of a reason to go.

The buffalo mall is pretty nice as well, but that was more of a thing I did when I actually lived in Erie.

Kevyt

Skype's garbage

Get into Discord

Way better

I second this... but inb4 "some people have been there for two years, and we're too far in to quit" but like... gaygaf had a skype group, with people there for over 5 years and everyone moved to Discord...

Just sayin'....

Discord is way better. \o/

marrec

Banned
I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a customer who was simply too stupid to be using our product.

My blood pressure has raissssed.

MutFox

Banned

last time I played a non-hearthstone game online was probably 2012

Us Canadian's aren't too bad... :(

I just started playing a lot of Rocket League.
Personally, I haven't seen harassment on the scales of MOBA's or FPS games.

I actually think most people don't know the mic option exists.
Prefer it that way, nice relaxing experience for myself. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom