• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still playing Danganronpa primarily.

It's quite addictive now.

latest

FloatOn

Why the fuck would you want to spend time reading a video game when you could actually... you know, PLAY a video game?

Choose your own adventure books are for children

FUME5

Is that good? I mean it sounds good, but I do not know this Lenny person.

It's terrible man, she's only using me for sex because she can tell I'm a good dude. I wonder if she knows about the GAF average.

Cheers Marrec, I look forward to not trying to go forever to assuage my dumb male ego.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Why the fuck would you want to spend time reading a video game when you could actually... you know, PLAY a video game?

Sometimes you want story and sometimes you want gameplay. Its not that complicated.

FloatOn

Sometimes you want story and sometimes you want gameplay. Its not that complicated.

My time is limited so I try to play games that have both. I shouldn't have to pick one over the other.

Also, most visual novels are anime trash are they not? I'm convinced anime games only exist for people that pride themselves on being quirky or whatever. It's like have some damn self-confidence, you don't need weird shit to make you unique.

Telling people what they ought to enjoy is even more for children!

no u

But seriously, I'm just asking the question. People are free to enjoy their lesser forms of entertainment all they want.

Vazra

My time is limited so I try to play games that have both. I shouldn't have to pick one over the other.

Also, most visual novels are anime trash are they not? I'm convinced anime games only exist for people that pride themselves on being quirky or whatever. It's like have some damn self-confidence, you don't need weird shit to make you unique.

It's fine if you don't like the genre and the art style but there are mature stories and while a lot of them are anime there are some that don't follow the anime tropes and the traditional dating sim styles many expect. There is a lot of things that can be experienced there in the visual novel genre narrative wise and usually well crafted for most of the part. Some of these games implement gameplay mechanics and some are directly focused to their story which is nothing wrong. Its fine if you want a balance of gameplay and story but to just discredit a genre because its not your cup of tea seems simply ignorant if you ask me and childish just because it doesn't click with you.

The same way you trash talk the visual novel genre the same thing can be applied pretty much to any genre cause in every one of them there is plenty of subpar or trash with the few games that shine through in such thing. It's fine to have preferences but just because you are not a fan of something it doesn't mean you are right in saying that thing sucks.

EDIT: Also calling it lesser form of entertainment is your opinion. Plenty of things with gameplay can be unenjoyable or plainly mediocre. But you do you boo.

FloatOn

:: eagerly awaits dark souls 3 aka video game messiah ::

:: feels sorry for dudes compelled to read waifu stories ::

:: enjoys cool breeze sitting on top of high horse ::

zeemumu

Sometimes people don't want to play the game for the gameplay. Sometimes they just want an experience with a decent story and interesting characters that they can invest their time into. You can always go to the movies for that, but there's a sense of agency in playing games when you influence the story yourself instead of watching it entirely from and outsider's perspective. I feel like that was the appeal of Telltale Games. They were by no means gameplay heavy, but that's not why we played them. We played them because of the possibilities left open by us influencing the path that the story took. It got old when we realized that those paths almost always led to the same outcome, killing its main appeal.

I'm so chill right now I'm not sure I can stand up

It's been lightly raining all day over here. I brought my dog in and I've been alternating between running errands and sitting on my computer in my pajamas. DMV went faster than expected.

FloatOn

That's why you're single ¯_(ツ)_/¯

lol single by choice currently

sorry I struck a nerve bae <3

edit - for clarity and solidarity I only half believe my own rant. I get in these judgmental twat moods sometimes because I'm so polite irl.

Vazra

I took my pants off and kicked the cat out of the room

the cat wants to sit in my lap all the time and it's too weird if my pants are off

Cats are interesting. They only want to deal with people in their own terms. It's kinda cool tbh.

FloatOn

Yo i love when you express an opinion and people try and shit on your personal life

/s

Remind me to not talk about girls here ever

zeemumu

Cats are interesting. They only want to deal with people in their own terms. It's kinda cool tbh.

A little. They really aren't anyone's pets. As far as they're concerned you're their roommate who handles all of the thumb-based stuff. But at the same time I'm not big on that. My friend has a cat that I've seen maybe 3-4 times in all the times that I've hung out at her house. If I'm going to have a pet, I don't want a pet that chooses when to materialize itself in this plane of existence.

Jobbs

Banned

earlier the cat puked, and it couldn't be bothered to just puke in an empty space on the floor.. had to puke right on my nice braided USB cable

had to clean up + knew I'd never feel okay about the USB cable again so I threw it away

this is PRECISELY one of the times I wish to god I had no animals

Vazra

A little. They really aren't anyone's pets. As far as they're concerned you're their roommate who handles all of the thumb-based stuff. But at the same time I'm not big on that. My friend has a cat that I've seen maybe 3-4 times in all the times that I've hung out at her house. If I'm going to have a pet, I don't want a pet that chooses when to materialize itself in this plane of existence.

I find the cats interesting but I wouldn't want to have one. I prefer dogs because they actually look for you and do silly stuff to get your attention and interact with them. The annoying process is teaching them what is alright to do or not around the house but usually after 1 year in the house it shouldn't be much of an issue. (At least with our dogs that is)

earlier the cat puked, and it couldn't be bothered to just puke in an empty space on the floor.. had to puke right on my nice braided USB cable

had to clean up + knew I'd never feel okay about the USB cable again so I threw it away

this is PRECISELY one of the times I wish to god I had no animals
Ugh. Thankfully the only thing I had to deal with my dogs was just them trying to steal my socks or shredding paper towels if I misplaced them.

FloatOn

Sometimes people don't want to play the game for the gameplay. Sometimes they just want an experience with a decent story and interesting characters that they can invest their time into. You can always go to the movies for that, but there's a sense of agency in playing games when you influence the story yourself instead of watching it entirely from and outsider's perspective. I feel like that was the appeal of Telltale Games. They were by no means gameplay heavy, but that's not why we played them. We played them because of the possibilities left open by us influencing the path that the story took. It got old when we realized that those paths almost always led to the same outcome, killing its main appeal.

Yeah, I played and actually really enjoyed the first season of the walking dead. I feel like these games have the bare minimum amount of gameplay hooks to still be interesting.

Side note: I recently bought that D4 game that is supposed to be like a Japanese version of a telltale game. Maybe one day I'll play it.

Misha

Banned
I tried to sing once in a lifetime on rock band but they only let you do the backup singers :(

Also I never got into sailor moon cause I didn't like the artstyle. Cardcaptor Sakura instead

Also gameplay is the worst part about games

zeemumu

I find the cats interesting but I wouldn't want to have one. I prefer dogs because they actually look for you and do silly stuff to get your attention and interact with them. The annoying process is teaching them what is alright to do or not around the house but usually after 1 year in the house it shouldn't be much of an issue. (At least with our dogs that is)

My dog was spending the day dropping his bacon ball in my lap to get me to throw it while I was playing video games.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, I played and actually really enjoyed the first season of the walking dead. I feel like these games have the bare minimum amount of gameplay hooks to still be interesting.

Side note: I recently bought that D4 game that is supposed to be like a Japanese version of a telltale game. Maybe one day I'll play it.

tonight I've been painfully slowly working my way through the bloodborne DLC with my gimped bloodtinged character. I finally killed the first boss.

once I'm tired of this I plan to play some ori enhnaced edition. If my niece comes over over the weekend I'm sure it'll be pokken tournament humiliation and smash

Vazra

Seriously though 999 and VLR are masterpieces of visual storytelling.

They made interesting characters and while some of the character designs leave something to be desired they have well crafted personalities and they are not too predictable in the way the outcomes will be and those twists hnnnng.

My dog was spending the day dropping his bacon ball in my lap to get me to throw it while I was playing video games.
Mine usually just jump to my bed and lay next to me as I play. Occasionally demanding to be petted but nothing too intrusive.

Also I never got into sailor moon cause I didn't like the artstyle. Cardcaptor Sakura instead
This was my thing back in the day. I have a soft spot for it still despite of it being Harem pandering.

Telltale Game of Thrones season 1 was a mess. And the amount of possible scenarios the finale had. Can't wait to see how they streamline it all into only one outcome. I will not buy Telltale Game of Thrones season 2 (at full price.)

At least they seem to be updating their engine for that new Batman game. Probably still gonna be shit tho. Polishing a turd only does so much. Just ask Bethesda about their "new" engine.

Vazra

Telltale Game of Thrones season 1 was a mess. And the amount of possible scenarios the finale had. Can't wait to see how they streamline it all into only one outcome. I will not buy Telltale Game of Thrones season 2 (at full price.)

At least they seem to be updating their engine for that new Batman game. Probably still gonna be shit tho. Polishing a turd only does so much. Just ask Bethesda about their "new" engine.

I didn't like Telltale Games much by the way the interface and interactions were. Life is Strange got the movement and UI down IMO and I hope Telltale in ways improve their interactions with the world. They have a good writing team that gets affected by the way those games play. Wolf Among Us and TWD were alright. GOT I dont feel much interest towards it but I may get Tales of the Borderlands at some point.

Misha

Banned
I didn't like Telltale Games much by the way the interface and interactions were. Life is Strange got the movement and UI down IMO and I hope Telltale in ways improve their interactions with the world. They have a good writing team that gets affected by the way those games play. Wolf Among Us and TWD were alright. GOT I dont feel much interest towards it but I may get Tales of the Borderlands at some point.

Tales from the borderlands sorta goes in the opposite direction from life is strange but its way better off for it. A lot more action scenes and such so it works

FloatOn

tonight I've been painfully slowly working my way through the bloodborne DLC with my gimped bloodtinged character. I finally killed the first boss.

once I'm tired of this I plan to play some ori enhnaced edition. If my niece comes over over the weekend I'm sure it'll be pokken tournament humiliation and smash

Sounds fun.

I liked Ori despite being completely mediocre at precision platforming games. I wussed out in the last dungeon. Maybe one day I'll finish it but probably not.

Dark Souls 3 and maybe Street Fighter 5 are the only games I will occupy myself with until I take a break from school or graduate.

I really want to play Witcher 3 soon though.

Vazra

Tales from the borderlands sorta goes in the opposite direction from life is strange but its way better off for it. A lot more action scenes and such so it works

I will eventually get on it but Telltale Engine bugs slowed down my hype. Are the interactions with the world better than previous Telltale Games?

I have Ori and the Blind Forest (thanks Em xoxo) but I haven't downloaded it yet.

I'm tempted to just wait for the Definitive Edition to come to PC and pay the $5 to upgrade before I play it.

Jobbs

Banned
I have Ori and the Blind Forest (thanks Em xoxo) but I haven't downloaded it yet.

I'm tempted to just wait for the Definitive Edition to come to PC and pay the $5 to upgrade before I play it.

Load it up and reflect on its transformative beauty

There's really nothing else like it visually

And oh shit i keep forgetting the EE isn't on PC yet. I'm enjoying one of the incredibly rare tangible perks of being an XB1 owner

FUME5

Playing Bunker Punks and probably get in some RE6, maybe some Halo 5 and another (12th I think) attempt at a XCom 2 Ironman run.

zeemumu

I tried out Life is Strange but something felt off about the dialogue. Everyone usually goes straight to Walking Dead Season 1 when they think of good Telltale games, which I understand. It was a really good story and most of the characters were well written. I feel like The Wolf Among Us gets tossed off to the side, though. That game was solid. I really liked the noir feel and the drastically different personalities of the characters, and even though Bigby was basically just a gruff Wolverine type, I thought it was cool that he's technically a wolf. You're playing as a detective wolf. And not just a regular wolf. The Big Bad Wolf. That's amazing! It helps that I have a bias towards recreations of fairy tales.

FloatOn

There have been a bunch of indies that have come out recently that I've been desperate to play too but this whole not having free time thing is a major cock block.

One day I'm just going to binge on all this cool shit I missed.

Misha

Banned
I will eventually get on it but Telltale Engine bugs slowed down my hype. Are the interactions with the world better than previous Telltale Games?

Imo yes. Theres a few really really good sequences.
I tried out Life is Strange but something felt off about the dialogue. Everyone usually goes straight to Walking Dead Season 1 when they think of good Telltale games, which I understand. It was a really good story and most of the characters were well written. I feel like The Wolf Among Us gets tossed off to the side, though. That game was solid. It helps that I have a bias towards recreations of fairy tales.

TWAU is way better than walking dead season one. Theres things I would change but its an upgrade in every way

Also life is strange is my favorite game ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom