• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Banged my head on the plane four times, too.

So you were banging huh?
66781f3f60.gif

How dope? Like I said, I've played almost everything Ska studious has put out and nothing ever really clicked with me.

This dope.

(please bear in mind I've had a long day with a lot of shit going wrong so I'm not really in good, patient frame of mind, so it's entirely possible I have a very flawed and skewed perception of the game right now)

This game fucking sucks. The hitboxes are awful. The telegraphing is incredibly inconsistent, sometimes huge wind-ups that take eternity and other times instant combos that would have been impossible to see coming. The character movement is terribly broken, like randomly not being able to roll through bosses/enemies for no god damned reason. It's way too easy to get pinned against a wall and then have an enemy infinite you to death, especially thanks to the aforementioned broken as fuck rolling. Difficulty is completely random depending on if the enemies decide to do a really easy attack or a five-string ultra combo thanks to some invisible dice roll.

But hey at least I got to put fun blue hair on my character.

Jobbs

Banned
Curious how far in you've played? I've killed a couple bosses and gotten to level 12 (I think?)

I haven't noticed the major hitbox problems some are reporting nor do I think based on what I've seen so far that the game is unfair. It's the kind of game that encourages you to stand back and watch what the enemies do before going ham.

I've also been impressed by some of the variety and depth I've noticed in the game so far. I don't have a final verdict, obviously, but it seems promising.

Curious how far in you've played? I've killed a couple bosses and gotten to level 12 (I think?)

I haven't noticed the major hitbox problems some are reporting nor do I think based on what I've seen so far that the game is unfair.

Let's just say that the Sodden Knight has killed me so many times that the game decided if I ever beat him I won't even get my salt back. Because that makes sense.

FUME5

Yeah, what I was afraid of.

Ska's art style doesn't really allow for tight mechanics in my experience, so wasn't sure how'd they'd mix what is (in my opinion) a necessary looseness with Souls type gameplay.

Jobbs

Banned
Let's just say that the Sodden Knight has killed me so many times that the game decided if I ever beat him I won't even get my salt back. Because that makes sense.

I almost got him on my first try then got him on my second try. He does broadcast his attacks and you can figure out what he's going to do by watching him. You're simply wrong in your criticism if it's based on that fight.

Yeah, what I was afraid of.

Ska's art style doesn't really allow for tight mechanics in my experience, so wasn't sure how'd they'd mix what is (in my opinion) a necessary looseness with Souls type gameplay.

I wouldn't write it off. We're not all in agreement here. It feels pretty full featured as a 2D Souls game and the combat is fun (my opinion!).

The art style is a bit questionable of course and that's a to each his own thing. I can live with it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I almost got him on my first try then got him on my second try. He does broadcast his attacks and you can figure out what he's going to do by watching him. You're simply wrong in your criticism if it's based on that fight.

Also the rolling thing isnt it basically on open windows with the boss fights? I believe I heard someone saying that.

Consider this event. Sodden Knight is on the left side and charges up his electric attack. I run away halfway across arena and then jump over the electric surge as it passes by me. Right the same time as I jump, the Sodden Knight lunges at me with his leaping attack with the huge hitbox that extends slightly past the tip of his blade. I'm already in the air so I can't do anything about it. The attack sends me flying and because I'm a knight class with a big huge shield and heavy armor it takes forever for me to stand back up, by which time time the Sodden Knight is almost upon me again, and he's charging up a smash attack. If I try to block it I take damage. If I try to roll out of the way I can't because there's a wall behind me and he's standing too far for me to roll past him, especially if the rolling glitches out. So I get hit by him again. Then I'm at the mercy of whether he decides to attack me again right away or gives me some room to breath.

That's not some odd occurrence. That's the kind of shit that happened every other battle with him. I don't doubt you had little difficulty with the boss. You got lucky.

Jobbs

Banned
Consider this event. Sodden Knight is on the left side and charges up his electric attack. I run away halfway across arena and then jump over the electric surge as it passes by me. Right the same time as I jump, the Sodden Knight lunges at me with his leaping attack with the huge hitbox that extends slightly past the tip of his blade. I'm already in the air so I can't do anything about it. The attack sends me flying and because I'm a knight class with a big huge shield and heavy armor it takes forever for me to stand back up, by which time time the Sodden Knight is almost upon me again, and he's charging up a smash attack. If I try to block it I take damage. If I try to roll out of the way I can't because there's a wall behind me and he's standing too far for me to roll past him, especially if the rolling glitches out. So I get hit by him again. Then I'm at the mercy of whether he decides to attack me again right away or gives me some room to breath.

That's not some odd occurrence. That's the kind of shit that happened every other battle with him. I don't doubt you had little difficulty with the boss. You got lucky.

Do I need to start a new game to try this dude again to see what's up?

Maybe the problem is the knight class and the general idea of a "heavy tanker" character. You say she is slow to get up and roll? Take the armor off and try that way. I've really honestly had no trouble avoiding enemy attacks, and indeed little trouble avoiding Sodden Knight. I didn't get lucky. I dodged his attacks and didn't commit to things that would get me hit. I'm playing a light armor character (cleric).

Do I need to start a new game to try this dude again to see what's up?

Maybe the problem is the knight class and the general idea of a "heavy tanker" character. You say she is slow to get up and roll? Take the armor off and try that way. I've really honestly had no trouble avoiding enemy attacks, and indeed little trouble avoiding Sodden Knight. I didn't get lucky. I dodged his attacks and didn't commit to things that would get me hit. I'm playing a light armor character (cleric).

Yeah but honestly what kind of game design is that? Hey, here's a default RPG character with default armor but in order to play well you're going to have to take it all off, which you would already know if you've played Dark Souls.

I just don't have the patience for the game. When beating a boss means doing chip damage and praying you don't get accidentally caught in one of its inescapable combo attacks then I'm not having fun.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah but honestly what kind of game design is that? Hey, here's a default RPG character with default armor but in order to play well you're going to have to take it all off, which you would already know if you've played Dark Souls.

I just don't have the patience for the game. When beating a boss means doing chip damage and praying you don't get accidentally caught in one of its inescapable combo attacks then I'm not having fun.

I'm making a knight class character and I'm gonna try up to sodden knight and see what happens. Maybe there's more going on that I didn't notice in my first pass. I'll record the results and if they're interesting I'll upload em.

edit: yeah the starting gear gives me a "fat roll" (as they called it in dark souls). I can't take it ugh

I'm making a knight class character and I'm gonna try up to sodden knight and see what happens. Maybe there's more going on that I didn't notice in my first pass. I'll record the results and if they're interesting I'll upload em.

I'll be interested to see that for sure.

I mean, I beat Father Gascoigne on my first try without even much of an effort, but he's supposedly really hard. I think sometimes games just break (for better or worse), but it's really hard to shake that first impression.

Also I had a lousy day and am in no mood to have my patience tried.

Jobbs

Banned
I'll be interested to see that for sure.

I mean, I beat Father Gascoigne on my first try without even much of an effort, but he's supposedly really hard. I think sometimes games just break (for better or worse), but it's really hard to shake that first impression.

Also I had a lousy day and am in no mood to have my patience tried.

Gascoigne took me a few tries but I didn't know about the music box.

I mentioned the fat roll above -- Like, I'll keep it on just so I can re-create the lili experience and try to experience the hatred you experienced, but if I take it off I can get a good roll. I'm guessing you can raise your encumbrance such that you can wear heavy armor witjhout a fatroll, ala souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom