• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Windam teaches breakdance
dance-fail.gif

Jobbs

Banned
okay, what Sodden Knight does is this... His attacks are initially highly broadcast. After his health is below a certain point, he'll start doing a leap attack right after casting his spark. Every time. Once you figure that out it becomes fair to avoid it.

As his health gets lower his combos get longer. I've managed to get myself juggled in such a way that it seemed unfair a couple of times.

BTW if you wield the sword with two hands it takes the shield encumbrance off and you can roll normally.

Windam starting a cool dance party

YQ4knLg.gif

okay, what Sodden Knight does is this... His attacks are initially highly broadcast. After his health is below a certain point, he'll start doing a leap attack right after casting his spark. Every time. Once you figure that out it becomes fair to avoid it.

As his health gets lower his combos get longer. I've managed to get myself juggled in such a way that it seemed unfair a couple of times.

BTW if you wield the sword with two hands it takes the shield encumbrance off and you can roll normally.

Hmm, okay. I definitely want to give the game another shot. I just need to approach it from a better frame of mind.

Jobbs

Banned
Hmm, okay. I definitely want to give the game another shot. I just need to approach it from a better frame of mind.

I just beat him on the third try. The first two both came close but he does get REALLY annoying when his health is low. I'll concede you a few things, but let's go to the tape first (which I'm uploading now).

Jobbs

Banned
OK Lili here's my upload of the Sodden Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dm0d9wyieE&feature=youtu.be

What I'll say after beating him twice on two different types of character -- He's *slightly* unfair, but you overstated it. You can figure out his patterns like with most games. The most unfair thing he does is a sudden swing with little/no windup that I've seen him do a few times (but not in this clip).

As you can see, most of the times I was hit I was pretty clearly to blame, and even though I played sloppy i was still able to win. I think the take away is that while you may eat some hits learning what a boss does -- We can debate whether that aspect is good design or not -- But the game gives you enough wiggle room to eat those hits and still win. At least at this point.

I wouldn't write it off just yet. From my other character I've already seen that there are a variety of weapon types and spells and play styles and it seems like a lot of fun. =}

What I'll say after beating him twice on two different types of character -- He's *slightly* unfair, but you overstated it. You can figure out his patterns like with most games. The most unfair thing he does is a sudden swing with little/no windup that I've seen him do a few times (but not in this clip).

As you can see, most of the times I was hit I was pretty clearly to blame, and even though I played sloppy i was still able to win. I think the take away is that while you may eat some hits learning what a boss does -- We can debate whether that aspect is good design or not -- But the game gives you enough wiggle room to eat those hits and still win. At least at this point.

I wouldn't write it off just yet. From my other character I've already seen that there are a variety of weapon types and spells and play styles and it seems like a lot of fun. =}

I regret blowing it out of proportion but I was legitimately fuming at the time.

0:31 you got greedy, hit is your fault
0:51 SK does his first combo and it's a three-string attack. Luckily you were out of the way, because there was no tell on the first attack to signify this would be a different, longer move (unless you've already fought him and taken note of when he transitions into longer combos), and the second and third attacks had a relatively short windup
0:55 greedy again, your fault
1:02 borderline greedy because you took a second swing, but that window was super thin and it would have been hard to get away after just one swing
1:15 bullshit instant turn-around combo attack
1:24 ridiculous string of attacks that give you almost no room to dodge unless you press hard against the left wall or time a roll exactly right
1:30 weird, inconsistent hitboxes
1:41 I think you lost count of the combo or stopped paying attention for a second and went in too soon
1:47 you got greedy
1:51 nice

Agree or disagree?

Jobbs

Banned
I regret blowing it out of proportion but I was legitimately fuming at the time.

0:51 SK does his first combo and it's a three-string attack. Luckily you were out of the way, because there was no tell on the first attack to signify this would be a different, longer move (unless you've already fought him and taken note of when he transitions into longer combos), and the second and third attacks had a relatively short windup
1:02 borderline greedy because you took a second swing, but that window was super thin and it would have been hard to get away after just one swing
1:24 ridiculous string of attacks that give you almost no room to dodge unless you press hard against the left wall or time a roll exactly right
1:41 I think you lost count of the combo or stopped paying attention for a second and went in too soon

Agree or disagree?

I somewhat agree, but I don't agree at 1:15. What he does after his health is lower than a certain amount is string attacks together -- Including off that jump attack. He'll turn around in the middle of the combo. He's going to do his number of swings regardless. That wasn't the start of a new combo after turning around, that was just him continuing his combo.

I don't see the inconsistent hitboxes either. His sword does not become damaging until it's actually swinging down as an actual attack, which I think is a good thing.

Again, I think rather than knitpick some of these things we need to look at the bigger design question. Is it okay to teach people how to fight a boss by having the boss beat them up? This isn't new in games. A lot of games are like this. In this case, the save point is close by, so you aren't punished for dying (unless you die enough that you can't get your souls back? That might be another questionable thing).

A certain expectation that you'll likely take damage or die on your first attempt(s) is sort of built into the Souls games, and this is patterning itself closely off of them.

The final take away is that if I were to keep playing him now, I think I could beat him more and more handily. If his behavior was total bullshit, that wouldn't be the case. You can learn it, and, as we see, you can actually take a ton of hits and still win. You also get ample time to estus whether he's in his late phase mode or not.

I somewhat agree, but I don't agree at 1:15. What he does after his health is lower than a certain amount is string combos together -- Including off that jump attack. He'll turn around in the middle of the combo. He's going to do his number of swings regardless. That wasn't the start of a new combo after turning around, that was just him continuing his combo.

I don't see the inconsistent hitboxes either. His sword does not become damaging until it's actually swinging down as an actual attack, which I think is a good thing.

Again, I think rather than knitpick some of these things we need to look at the bigger design question. Is it okay to teach people how to fight a boss by having the boss beat you up? This isn't new in games. A lot of games are like this. In this case, the save point is close by, so you aren't punished for dying (unless you die enough that you can't get your souls back? That might be another questionable thing).

A certain expectation that you'll likely take damage or die on your first attempt(s) is sort of built into the Souls games, and this is patterning itself closely off of them.

The final take away is that if I were to keep playing him now, I think I could beat him more and more handily. If his behavior was total bullshit, that wouldn't be the case. You can learn it, and, as we see, you can actually take a ton of hits and still win. You also get ample time to estus whether he's in his late phase mode or not.

I'll definitely credit the game for putting the check point right next to the boss fight, something Souls games routinely forgo.

I'm calling that move bullshit because it's not immediately obvious why it happens or how you can be expected to avoid it the first time around. There's no chance for you to learn that the boss will do that otherwise because if you're out of range and he's not going to hit you then he doesn't turn around—he continues his combo forward. So literally the only way you can find out that he'll do that is to be caught by surprise. I think that forcing the player to fail in order to learn is grievous enough, but taking your money on top of that is just rude.

But hey, now I know better. Now I've learned how to hold my own in the fight, so I have incentive to return and give it another shot.

A+.

Jobbs

Banned
I'll definitely credit the game for putting the check point right next to the boss fight, something Souls games routinely forgo.

I'm calling that move bullshit because it's not immediately obvious why it happens or how you can be expected to avoid it the first time around. There's no chance for you to learn that the boss will do that otherwise because if you're out of range and he's not going to hit you then he doesn't turn around—he continues his combo forward. So literally the only way you can find out that he'll do that is to be caught by surprise. I think that forcing the player to fail in order to learn is grievous enough, but taking your money on top of that is just rude.

But hey, now I know better. Now I've learned how to hold my own in the fight, so I have incentive to return and give it another shot.

Well, it's about rhythm, really. Beats. Jump attack, land, swing swing. You can't, obviously, know that his combos get longer as his health gets lower until you see it happen, but isn't that sort of thing often true in these games?

Maybe not the best game to play if your patience hangs by a thread after a difficult day, but I guess I'll just say it is what it is. I think it's fun. ;)

Incidentally, I've somehow gotten a bug where the game is moving in fast motion. :D

FloatOn

Wow. That was intense.

This game needs to get on steam asap

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Windam on the origins of wine

cb098523116d8193cbcc155529594432.jpg

Talking about orgies, I know two people who've been to MFF threesomes and all of them claim they were terrible experiences that left them with no desire to repeat them at all.

Turns out that pleasuring two ladies at the same time you try to enjoy yourself is a logistics nightmare, specially if the ladies are not of the bi persuasion.

Finally locked down a friend coming around on thursday to record some animation reference video.

I can't wait to get the usual "what the fuck I didn't think you lived THIS far away" response, those are always funny to hear :p

FUME5

Talking about orgies, I know two people who've been to MFF threesomes and all of them claim they were terrible experiences that left them with no desire to repeat them at all.

Turns out that pleasuring two ladies at the same time you try to enjoy yourself is a logistics nightmare, specially if the ladies are not of the bi persuasion.

Who'd have thought?

jb1234

All I can think about while watching that is how godawful the music is. I don't think it ever once transitions out of a I to V progression,

Misha

Banned
Just as a suggestion guy, don't send messages on dating sites with just "hi". I mean it's way better than some of the alternatives but it doesn't distinguish yourself from the 10 other people saying "hi". Think more like "I see you like radio head. I'm really hoping the rumors about a new album are true, what's your favorite song of theirs? Mines karma police"
Boom conversation

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oof, I couldn't stand it... No idea just didn't click with me at all.

My exact reaction at nearly every Coen film. I can appreciate them, but they rarely ever do it for me. Burn After Reading is a perfect example of that.

Maybe I should start watching Fargo and see if the TV show is more of my liking.

FUME5

Just as a suggestion guy, don't send messages on dating sites with just "hi". I mean it's way better than some of the alternatives but it doesn't distinguish yourself from the 10 other people saying "hi". Think more like "I see you like radio head. I'm really hoping the rumors about a new album are true, what's your favorite song of theirs? Mines karma police"
Boom conversation

"Hi, I see you have at least one limb and appear to own a cat. How's your evening going?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom