• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is amazing. I'm jrqloud

You jerk loud? Green is sound waves?

I've done specific training through my work, but it's so targeted. I'd rather learn on my own terms and get targeted training than do college anyday.

Oh, it would be expressly for academic purposes. I'm perfectly capable of doing practical learning on my own and potentially even attending training if it's interesting to me (attempts to push me towards more sysadmin bullshit will just make me leave).

zeemumu

dark souls 3 talk:

for my solo character I think I'm going to roll herald since I've never really done a proper faith build

my co-op character is going to be start as a thief. I've never really gone full ninja in a souls game either.

of course I'll probably end up respeccing like a madman as certain situations pop-up but this is my intial plan

I'm gonna go with mercenary or herald. My DS1 character was a wanderer-turned knight by the end.

Oh, it would be expressly for academic purposes. I'm perfectly capable of doing practical learning on my own and potentially even attending training if it's interesting to me (attempts to push me towards more sysadmin bullshit will just make me leave).

I've been trying to get experience in programming for games so I'd be able to show that I have some experience to work for a game company in the future. At the same time I feel like it's important to stick to the general stuff that I learn in my classes. It's not gaming specific but it can be used as such. My project a few quarters ago was to make an array-based game in java.

marrec

Banned
Is Encyclopedia Brittanica a valid source?

I'm going to go with yes?

I've just completely abandoned any aspirations for academics at this point. Maybe when I'm 40, but right now I'm too busy. And by too busy I mean I like having free time to play DOTA and other video games.

zeemumu

The Jungle Book as a movie title doesn't make any sense. Then again, The Jungle Movie would be a shitty title. Can't wait to see it, though.

FloatOn

The Jungle Book as a movie title doesn't make any sense. Then again, The Jungle Movie would be a shitty title. Can't wait to see it, though.

yes. I was a huge fan of the book, the disney cartoon and even the jason scott lee live action film.

this new one looks to be hitting all the right notes as well so I'm looking forward to it.

zeemumu

Batman v Superman tonight. place your bets on whether i'll like it

The Jungle Story?

You might. It depends on how much you care about structuring in your movies.

The Jungle Story sounds better than The Jungle Movie but still not quite as good as The Jungle Book. Hmmm, The Jungle Tale? Nah, that sounds like I'm going for a bad pun.

yes. I was a huge fan of the book, the disney cartoon and even the jason scott lee live action film.

this new one looks to be hitting all the right notes as well so I'm looking forward to it.

I wonder how they pitched the concept for Talespin to the network...

"Okay, so it's about Baloo, right?"

"Okay, good so far."

"And he's a pilot."

"...wait wha-"

"And he fights sky pirates."

"I...uh..."

marrec

Banned
The Jungle Story?

Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book: The Movie

Incidentally, googling "The Jungle Book" pulls up everything BUT the Rudyard Kipling book. Which is funny because every other adaptation you would put "book" after the title like "Twilight book" to avoid getting hits about the movie.

I've just completely abandoned any aspirations for academics at this point. Maybe when I'm 40, but right now I'm too busy. And by too busy I mean I like having free time to play DOTA and other video games.

As someone who is closer to 40 than you, I'm quite content to play video games instead, but I'm at least open to it— in the same way I'd be open to a threesome with popular actress. Maybe less open than that.

Timu

dark souls 3 talk:

for my solo character I think I'm going to roll herald since I've never really done a proper faith build

my co-op character is going to be start as a thief. I've never really gone full ninja in a souls game either.

of course I'll probably end up respeccing like a madman as certain situations pop-up but this is my intial plan
I won't do co-op since I go solo on these games. But I tend to be melee focused with a little magic here and there.

zeemumu

Incidentally, googling "The Jungle Book" pulls up everything BUT the Rudyard Kipling book. Which is funny because every other adaptation you would put "book" after the title like "Twilight book" to avoid getting hits about the movie.

That's nothing. Do you know what I saw when I googled The Neverending Story?

Pages‎: ‎448

That's clearly a finite number of pages.

Misha

Banned
You might. It depends on how much you care about structuring in your movies.
I love non-linear narratives. they keep me interested way more than chronological ones do

little do they know "The Jungle Movie" is actually an adaptation of Upton Sinclair's book about the working class working in oppressive conditions just to have their bare necessities

zeemumu

I love non-linear narratives. they keep me interested way more than chronological ones do

Okay then it's just a matter of seeing if they can overload you with plot. If you're fine with the structure and aren't particularly attached to DC then you'll be fine

little do they know "The Jungle Movie" is actually an adaptation of Upton Sinclair's book about the working class not even getting the bare necessities

That explains why they were giving out free hotdogs on the way into the theater.

FloatOn

I won't do co-op since I go solo on these games. But I tend to be melee focused with a little magic here and there.

Assassin might be a good starting class for you then.

I liked dark souls 1 better as a solo game and 2 as a co-op game.

DS2 kind of forced my hand with it's crappy way about increasing difficulty (more mobs).

Halcyon

I figured out why some people are confused by the editing in BvS. Snyder shot that and MoS as if they were live action comic books, which jump around quite a bit. I think the difference is there is no inner monologue explaining things as a comic would. Maybe if he used the Star Wars swipe edit people wouldn't have been that confused.

I thought it was easy to understand.

As an aside. I watched Force Awakens over the weekend and that was my second time seeing it since the theater. I was kinda bored with it honestly. It was fine but I didn't really connect with any of the characters, and I even more-so think Finn is some bullshit.

The only character I care about is Kylo, so i'm hoping to see some interesting dynamics between him and Luke, or him and a slightly more interesting Rey.

Misha

Banned
Okay then it's just a matter of seeing if they can overload you with plot. If you're fine with the structure and aren't particularly attached to DC then you'll be fine

That explains why they were giving out free hotdogs on the way into the theater.

gotham is the only remotely faithful(to what I know of as DC) live action DC anything I've seen so far so I'm used to being let down by weird adaptations

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As an aside. I watched Force Awakens over the weekend and that was my second time seeing it since the theater. I was kinda bored with it honestly. It was fine but I didn't really connect with any of the characters, and I even more-so think Finn is some bullshit.

The only character I care about is Kylo, so i'm hoping to see some interesting dynamics between him and Luke, or him and a slightly more interesting Rey.
TFA seemed less of a stand-alone movie and more of a "sorry for the prequels, this is what we're gonna do now so get used to these characters and this setting ok movie's over"

zeemumu

I figured out why some people are confused by the editing in BvS. Snyder shot that and MoS as if they were live action comic books, which jump around quite a bit. I think the difference is there is no inner monologue explaining things as a comic would. Maybe if he used the Star Wars swipe edit people wouldn't have been that confused.

I thought it was easy to understand.

I like seeing people show off with the force, like with him stopping Poe's blaster bolt. We don't get enough of that because Jedi are pretty conservative with their force usage.

gotham is the only remotely faithful(to what I know of as DC) live action DC anything I've seen so far so I'm used to being let down by weird adaptations

I'm not entirely sure if I'd call Gotham a faithful adaptation.

Misha

Banned
I like seeing people show off with the force, like with him stopping Poe's blaster bolt. We don't get enough of that because Jedi are pretty conservative with their force usage.

I'm not entirely sure if I'd call Gotham a faithful adaptation.

oh its not by a longshot. that was an insult to all the other live action DC stuff

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
All they'll do is tell me something is clearly wrong, and prescribe me a bunch of pills that neither work or are not wanted. I've been on meds before. They didn't work then, they won't work now.

Did you go specifically to a psychiatrist, or a family doc/GP, or a therapist.

It's important to be screened correctly. When I got my first diagnoses it was through a computer survey of like maybe 30 questions, then I had a patient history taken by a therapist. This was at my university campus, so it was great to have both therapists and psychiatrists talk to each other.

I would really suggest getting a proper screening and then figuring out a plan on how to continue treatment, whether through medication or just through behavioral modification (CBT), mindfulness, or a combination

Regarding medication, it's really hard to get a sense of whether a medication is working or not. Sadly, antidepressants and similar drugs aren't the most accurate in terms of response time. it isn't like blood sugar medication or that sort of immediate response. They rely on having a three or so week delay, and that's for the introductory course of the drug. A therapeutic dose might take a lot longer to have an substantial effect. Some drugs might work better than others, or a combination might be needed. This is a ongoing conversation with your prescribing doc and therapist.

Sadly, there is a ton of misinformation about this class of medication on the internet, and a popular movement has sprung to effectively manipulate people off meds. It's not for everyone, but that's a conversation between you and your doctors, not the internet.
Medication is always on a risk/benefit ratio.

My Pill Journey, a good little video on the subject.

I'm really okay when adaptations aren't 100% faithful. If I'm a fan of the original then I've already seen that story, that rendition of those characters. Let adapters put their own spin on it if they feel it will help. That helps keep things fresh!

For example, if Suicide Squad was going to be a shot for shot remake of Assault on Arkham I probably wouldn't go see it. I've already seen it. So I'm more interested in what new they do than in how exactly they are able to recreate the original material.

Timu

I'm really okay when adaptations aren't 100% faithful. If I'm a fan of the original then I've already seen that story, that rendition of those characters. Let adapters put their own spin on it if they feel it will help. That helps keep things fresh!

For example, if Suicide Squad was going to be a shot for shot remake of Assault on Arkham I probably wouldn't go see it. I've already seen it. So I'm more interested in what new they do than in how exactly they are able to recreate the original material.
That's...a good way to put it actually, I'm all for new stuff as long as it's done right.

Halcyon

I would pay lots of money just to see the random bad guy with mask on turn out to be Batman gag play out in live action.

But I agree with you. That's why i'm not whining about "BATMANER DONT KEEL ITS NOT MY BATMAN" like the rest of what I assume are mouth-breathers on the internet complaining about things.

Also tangentially related:

This is what I did instead of working between 2 and 3 today
UgAWLA5m.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been waiting for a 1:1 adaptation of Appleseed for nearly two decades now and all I've got is some fuckass CGI animu that barely got the characters right.

At least the soundtracks were good :_(

FloatOn

I've been waiting for a 1:1 adaptation of Appleseed for nearly two decades now and all I've got is some fuckass CGI animu that barely got the characters right.

At least the soundtracks were good :_(

literally lol'd at this part

the combination of the words "fuckass" and "animu" are hilarious

bravo!

Misha

Banned

I didn't necessarily mean it was a bad thing :p

I definitely liked the dark knight a ton and enjoyed 1989 batman and adam west. also i enjoyed smallville (but that doesn't help the argument :p)

The thing with most live action dc stuff though is they get rid of the things that I like about the characters. so far with joker(kinda), penguin, and riddler they absolutely give the right feeling that i really liked about those characters. (in gotham)

also a live action assault on arkham would suck pretty bad imo. it was okay for a direct to video movie but the characters would need a ton more development for the theater

zeemumu

I don't mind it if they don't do something shot for shot, but if you're going to go way off into left field with your idea then it shouldn't have been something based on an existing franchise in the first place. If you removed the video game scenes and changed the title of House of the Dead it would have nothing to do with House of the Dead (and would still be crap but that's a conversation for another time). Some things are only related to their source materials in name only, and that's usually where I draw the line. You don't have to follow something shot for shot but you have to maintain the essence of the characters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want a live action 1:1 Cowboy Bebop movie. Come at me if you think that's a bad idea.

Does anyone have days where they swear a lot for no particular reason? Like the adrenaline in you just kicks in and all goes right to your vocabulary?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Man of Steel and BvS are both garbage.

I don't want 100% adaptations, but if you are going to use certain characters, you need to be true to them. Why use Superman if he is going to be mopey? What have Batman as a killer? If you want to make a mopey super hero movie you don't use the ultimate symbol of hope. If you want a super hero that kills, you don't use the one who specifically has a mantra not to kill. Make a Manhunter movie or something,

Timu

Man of Steel and BvS are both garbage.

I don't want 100% adaptations, but if you are going to use certain characters, you need to be true to them. Why use Superman if he is going to be mopey? What have Batman as a killer? If you want to make a mopey super hero movie you don't use the ultimate symbol of hope. If you want a super hero that kills, you don't use the one who specifically has a mantra not to kill. Make a Manhunter movie or something,
Batman killing so many people made me mad!!!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
My face is on fire and my voice is shot. Been OC spraying people all day and running them through SRF-B(a basic CQC course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom