• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who seeks justice and will attempt to not kill people unnecessarily, but will kill if he has to. Where's that hero? Are there any of those? That actually seems far more interesting

Deus Ex games let you decide how it should go. There's got to be at least one other.

The arkham games steadily got worse over time

Nah. AA is missing tons of stuff that makes the mechanics in AC superior. The open world I'm not a fan of but everything else is tight. AO has the best story. AK looks stunning but I'd say not that much better than AC in pure gameplay.

I don't mind the tank fights because they control well but they are superfluous.

Misha

Banned
Batman is a detective and a ninja, not a tank commander god fucking damnit.

And how fuuucking convenient that all the badguy tanks are unmanned drones. All the badguys have to do is put pilots in those things and Batman is fucked

Speaking of: How come comics only seem to explore two extremes in heroes... Heroes with a "no kill code" (batman, daredevil, etc) and "antiheroes" who slaughter all the badguys (the punisher, red hood, whatever).. What about a happy medium? Someone who seeks justice and will attempt to not kill people unnecessarily, but will kill if he has to. Where's that hero? Are there any of those? That actually seems far more interesting

I'm 90% certain there are a lot of examples, and probably a lot of the same characters you assume are all goody goody

not comics by my avatar appeared to be a pragmatist type that wants the best for as many people as she could
till they made her do what trump wishes he could

(I screwed up the spoiler text at first so reread if it sounded like it made no sense. if it still seems like it makes no sense then well....)

Jobbs

Banned
I feel you brah. did they try to apologize for all the dumb shit they did? that's how much ex dreams usually go but even on dream level it's not believable so I'm always like "wat".

I had the reverse dream once, kinda

I'm 90% certain there are a lot of examples, and probably a lot of the same characters you assume are all goody goody

not comics by my avatar appeared to be a pragmatist type that wants the best for as many people as she could
till they made her do what trump wishes he could

(I screwed up the spoiler text at first so reread if it sounded like it made no sense. if it still seems like it makes no sense then well....)

I don't know who your ava is and I'm not sure what trump wants.. I guess he wants to get rid of muslims and mexicans? or something?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Batman is a detective and a ninja, not a tank commander god fucking damnit.

And how fuuucking convenient that all the badguy tanks are unmanned drones. All the badguys have to do is put pilots in those things and Batman is fucked

Speaking of: How come comics only seem to explore two extremes in heroes... Heroes with a "no kill code" (batman, daredevil, etc) and "antiheroes" who slaughter all the badguys (the punisher, red hood, whatever).. What about a happy medium? Someone who seeks justice and will attempt to not kill people unnecessarily, but will kill if he has to. Where's that hero? Are there any of those? That actually seems far more interesting

Daredevil kills. Not a lot, but he has killed when he had to. The X-Men also have quite a few murders under their belt. Particularly under Cyclops and Storms' reigns with the team. Generally only Professor X had the no killing thing. A major plotline was Psylocke fighting her enjoyment of killing and Wolverine has a LOT of murders under his record.

Halcyon

After my ex had an affair I had nightmares for about a year where I ended up screaming at her and crying out "how could you do this to me".

Those dreams were actually really good motivators for me when I'd be at the gym.

zeemumu

After my ex had an affair I had nightmares for about a year where I ended up screaming at her and crying out "how could you do this to me".

Those dreams were actually really good motivators for me when I'd be at the gym.

For some reason I picture you wearing a Tommy Wiseau wig while punching a bag and yelling "Why, Lisa, why?!"

Misha

Banned
I don't know who your ava is and I'm not sure what trump wants.. I guess he wants to get rid of muslims and mexicans? or something?

my avatar is from legend of korra

She initially strong armed people into accepting her rule over them where she'd control goods and services and distribute them where necessary since the country was fractured and essentially in anarchy. It worked really well at first though some people were upset that they didn't have any choice and the situations weren't exactly good for long term private property. Eventually it turned out that she built a big wall around the country to keep out immigrants and put the rest in slave labor camps and built a super weapon to try to take over the neighboring country.

but before that last part she seemed to be the kind of person thats doing things for the benefit of others despite their wishes which is an interesting grey area

Korra on the other hand, sided with a small group of leaders who were trying to force the country to accept an incompetent monarch for seemingly no good reason

my SO having an affair is like already my worst nightmare :S must've been some fucked up times for you man

zeemumu

my avatar is from legend of korra

She initially strong armed people into accepting her rule over them where she'd control goods and services and distribute them where necessary since the country was fractured and essentially in anarchy. It worked really well at first though some people were upset that they didn't have any choice and the situations weren't exactly good for long term private property. Eventually it turned out that she built a big wall around the country to keep out immigrants and put the rest in slave labor camps and built a super weapon to try to take over the neighboring country.

but before that last part she seemed to be the kind of person thats doing things for the benefit of others despite their wishes which is an interesting grey area

Korra on the other hand, sided with a small group of leaders who were trying to force the country to accept an incompetent monarch for seemingly no good reason

She was the type of leader who would disappear people, though. That was her whole deal: that it worked out on the outside but internally it was a place of horrors. Also she attempted to murder her own fiance for the chance to kill Korra.

Jobbs

Banned
I had a girlfriend I basically lived with and we both cheated on eachother

not my proudest moment

I was very young though

Daredevil kills. Not a lot, but he has killed when he had to. The X-Men also have quite a few murders under their belt. Particularly under Cyclops and Storms' reigns with the team. Generally only Professor X had the no killing thing. A major plotline was Psylocke fighting her enjoyment of killing and Wolverine has a LOT of murders under his record.

I think my picture of Daredevil was colored by hte Netflix series, where he actually got Elektra critically injured because he had to stop her from delivering a killing blow to a badguy

my avatar is from legend of korra. there's a lot there to unpack

wow.. isn't that a nickelodean show or something

Misha

Banned
She was the type of leader who would disappear people, though. Also she attempted to murder her own fiance for the chance to kill Korra.

doing those things could easily have been morally grey but they wanted her to be an out and out villain so the reasoning ended up being dumb

Halcyon

my SO having an affair is like already my worst nightmare :S must've been some fucked up times for you man

it was hard but I'm glad it happened considering where I'm at now.

If it happened again for some reason I think my brain would explode. I should bring flowers home..

Jobbs

Banned
and I thought you were a good christian boy :,l

I was in a dysfunctional relationship and 19 years old, (and my girlfriend was 25 at the time!) surrounded by destructive people and destructive behavior. we had a pot roast on the porch for an entire summer. it was metal as hell.

when I kinda got out of the christian stuff in my late teens I went through some serious acting out

Halcyon

I was in a dysfunctional relationship and 19 years old, (and my girlfriend was 25 at the time!) surrounded by destructive people and destructive behavior. we had a pot roast on the porch for an entire summer. it was metal as hell.

when I kinda got out of the christian stuff in my late teens I went through some serious acting out

Like just a chunk of meat on the porch? did it rot. Did you lick the rot.

Misha

Banned
wow.. isn't that a nickelodean show or something

yeah. two fo the previous villains were actually more messed up though way more black and white

one tried to depower everyone with powers since he had a traumatic experience when he was younger and didn't believe people could be trusted (though he turned out to be a hypocrite)

another was an anarchist who believed the monarchies of the time prevented individuals from having freedom and that the avatar's power was too much for one person to hold so they tried to get rid of the avatar

its disappointing though that for all of them they tried hard to make them villainous and go overboard instead of just following their ideology to something that makes sense. its like they wanted them to go and murder children or something everytime they looked sympathetic

also the other main villain was sorta dumb. he just wanted to basically summon their devil/cthulu/w/e

True, but then Korra would have had no reason to get involved with the plot.

she had no reason to in the first place. they retroactively justified her and especially tenzin's actions

Jobbs

Banned
Like just a chunk of meat on the porch? did it rot. Did you lick the rot.

yeah.

when I was 19-20 I lived with 2 other guys in this house with a lot of other people always coming and going. There was a fight over a pot roast once so the one guy just put it on the porch, then everyone just defiantly left it there, and it got worse and worse until maggots and stuff yeah

I'm remarkably boring now though. No girlfriend swapping or cheating or maggots or anything. I don't have any patience for nonsense.

yeah. two fo the previous villains were actually more messed up though way more black and white

one tried to depower everyone with powers since he had a traumatic experience when he was younger and didn't believe people could be trusted (though he turned out to be a hypocrite)

another was an anarchist who believed the monarchies of the time prevented individuals from having freedom and that the avatar's power was too much for one person to hold so they tried to get rid of the avatar

its disappointing though that for all of them they tried hard to make them villainous and go overboard instead of just following their ideology to something that makes sense. its like they wanted them to go and murder children or something everytime they looked sympathetic

also the other main villain was sorta dumb. he just wanted to basically summon their devil/cthulu/w/e

it's so much to unpack and my head is so fried already :: sizzle ::

isn't the main character a lesbian or something?

zeemumu

Sigh, Amon was so cool

latest

I'm running on a stream of motivation. I need to use it up before I get lazy again.

zeemumu

It's okay. I doubt shyamalan saw either too

Not after what he did to Ozai.

And Katara. She's useless in the movie.

I can discuss ATLA all day, Legend of Korra slightly less so (I'm better at discussing the villains), and everything The Last Airbender did wrong.

I've never actually seen the cartoon or the movie :(

You might like the show. The animation's solid, the characters are complex and interesting, and the setpieces are really cool.

If I had to rank the Korra villains, it'd probably be
tie between Amon and Kuvira for 1st, then Zaheer and anti-team Avatar, then what's his face and his red glowing manta ray.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Halcyon

I've seen the first season of the cartoon. I didn't much care for it. It's a little too Asian for my taste.

I did however like the ThunderCats remake and wish it would have lasted longer.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vaping culture confuses me

Why are they so obsessed with 90's Pokemon and Windows 95?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom