• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
Most men's clothes are so boring overall compared to women's.

Time to start cross-dressing.

giphy.gif

zeemumu

I'm not big into wearing hats. But there's this guy on my campus who always wears an Indiana Jones fedora. It's jarring because of how much it sticks out

Misha

Banned
Not as much in cold weather.

I'd actually argue that cold weather is where it shines the most. so many different things to layer. its not like you have to wear tights and dresses and other cold things all the time

though i suppose you more mean that mens clothing has mroe variation in the winter than women having less. still a huge discrepency though

speaking of cold: i'm really cold rn

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Misha

Banned
i guess the one thing i didn't ask is: is wearing a beanie in 90 degree weather okay? last year family members kept bugging me with "aren't you too hot?". if i could claim its for the fashions then that would be something

Turin

Banned
This is California though. Cold weather means hoodie.youve got the casual light hoodie, the chance of rain hoodie, and the arctic tundra hoodie.

I see. I lost the one hoodie I liked 5 years ago. Never bought another one. RIP, beige hoodie.

I'd actually argue that cold weather is where it shines the most. so many different things to layer. its not like you have to wear tights and dresses and other cold things all the time

though i suppose you more mean that mens clothing has mroe variation in the winter than women having less. still a huge discrepency though

speaking of cold: i'm really cold rn

The latter is what I meant but touché.

marrec

Banned
Most men's clothes are so boring overall compared to women's.

Time to start cross-dressing.

That's why I like to have funky looking socks and a wide variety of shoes and a multicolored closet with different style and color for undershirts, t-shirts, buttonups, and pants.

Because, really, our overall style is extremely limited. The best we can do is mix a herringbone suit-jacket with a v-neck and chinos to get a little crazy.

Also, holy shit I might have deficient autobiographical memory, this article describes a lot of how I view my past.

http://www.wired.com/2016/04/susie-mckinnon-autobiographical-memory-sdam/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The stereotypical gamer thread on gaming side is gold.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I made myself cry the other day just to see if I could.

Whenever I need to cry I think about the ending of Children on Men
while stabbing myself in the hand with a ball point pen.

Misha

Banned
Also, holy shit I might have deficient autobiographical memory, this article describes a lot of how I view my past.

http://www.wired.com/2016/04/susie-mckinnon-autobiographical-memory-sdam/
the way i experience memory is definitely different from other people i know. occasionally i'll remember a short snapshot erhe i can sort of place vague information but details are awful but for the most part i only recall feelings(both emotions and sensory but not visual or as much auditory). like a certain humidity and temperature immediately relates to the time i was playing civilization 2 while my sister was watching cartoons. and not the actual scene of that situation, how it felt to be in that situation

and i can't trigger them on their own, i need to recreate the conditions around that time

I definitely don't have that though going by how its described in the article

Jobbs

Banned
Whenever I need to cry I think about the ending of Children on Men
while stabbing myself in the hand with a ball point pen.

things that made me cry that I can think of off hand:

• Room
  • Bioshock 2 good ending
  • The Last of Us
  • These Final Hours
  • Something in Lord of the Rings when I saw it in the theater but I forget what, probably more than once
  • Only Yesterday
  • Whisper Of The Heart
  • Grave of the Fireflies

I know there's more

Misha

Banned
for some reason this didn't really hit me the way it hits most people. I just hate pixar characters and don't find them relatable or interesting.

for some reason i decided to actually watch that rn. only got 2 minutes in before the tears

heck the music is almost enough ot do it at this point

also its weird to lump all pixar characters together unless your problem is the art style

Halcyon

I watched Room a few weeks ago.

I didn't cry and I didn't particularly find the movie that gripping especially after a point.

Jobbs

Banned
for some reason i decided to actually watch that rn. only got 2 minutes in before the tears

heck the music is almost enough ot do it at this point

coming of age stuff fucks with me, things with kids fuck with me, redemption/sacrifice can fuck with me... many general sad things can fuck with me if presented artfully.

Grave of the Fireflies is a movie about
a brother and little sister trying to survive in WW2 Japan, and everything goes wrong and everyone's awful to them and one dies then the other dies
and that's it. That's the movie.

marrec

Banned
The stereotypical gamer thread on gaming side is gold.

Holy shit thank you for bringing this to my attention it's so good.

the way i experience memory is definitely different from other people i know. occasionally i'll remember a short snapshot erhe i can sort of place vague information but details are awful but for the most part i only recall feelings(both emotions and sensory but not visual or as much auditory). like a certain humidity and temperature immediately relates to the time i was playing civilization 2 while my sister was watching cartoons. and not the actual scene of that situation, how it felt to be in that situation

and i can't trigger them on their own, i need to recreate the conditions around that time

I definitely don't have that though going by how its described in the article

That's odd, when I recall past events I can almost never associate those events with feelings, they're just snapshots, but I rarely even remember specific events and it seems like everyone else remembers things with stunning clarity.

Like, I specifically remember being sad when my ex and I broke up last year, but I don't feel that feeling when I think of it, I just remember that I was sad at the time. I don't remember specifics or anything either.

My autobiographical memory isn't as bad as the one from the article, but I'm thinking it's definitely worse than what seems like most people.

Hell, I didn't feel regret as an emotion until just this last year. Never knew what it felt like, even though I objectively knew I had plenty of opportunity to feel it.

zeemumu

• Room
  • Bioshock 2 good ending
  • The Last of Us
  • These Final Hours
  • Something in Lord of the Rings when I saw it in the theater but I forget what, probably more than once
  • Only Yesterday
  • Whisper Of The Heart
  • Grave of the Fireflies

I know there's more

Some of mine are a little silly:

• Sonic Adventure 2 ending
  • Crisis Core ending
  • Toy Story 3 ending
  • Teen Titans "How Long is Forever"
  • The Good Riddance montage of Friends despite me having never seen the show outside of the intro
  • First 10 minutes of Up
  • Castaway when he loses Wilson
  • Les Miserables when Eponine dies, when she sings "On My Own", and the ending
  • Elite Beat Agents Christmas Level
  • Meet the Robinsons ending and "Little Wonders" in general
  • I Am Legend when the dog dies and Will Smith loses it and tries to get the mannequin to say hello to him
  • Marley and Me ending
  • The realization that Air Bud died
  • Abandoning a Chao in Sonic Adventure 2

• Room
  • Bioshock 2 good ending
  • The Last of Us
  • These Final Hours
  • Only Yesterday
  • Whisper Of The Heart
  • Grave of the Fireflies

I know there's more

I've never cried at any films or TV

Part of The Wire came close but that's it

FloatOn

has a musical performance ever made you cry?

I weeped this past weekend when I watched Has Zimmer perform music from Interstellar.

Misha

Banned
coming of age stuff fucks with me, things with kids fuck with me, redemption/sacrifice can fuck with me... many general sad things can fuck with me if presented artfully.

Grave of the Fireflies is a movie about
a brother and little sister trying to survive in WW2 Japan, and everything goes wrong and everyone's awful to them and one dies then the other dies
and that's it. That's the movie.
coming of age movies don't do anything for me most of the time because i really couldn't relate to most people at that age
That's odd, when I recall past events I can almost never associate those events with feelings, they're just snapshots, but I rarely even remember specific events and it seems like everyone else remembers things with stunning clarity.

Like, I specifically remember being sad when my ex and I broke up last year, but I don't feel that feeling when I think of it, I just remember that I was sad at the time. I don't remember specifics or anything either.

My autobiographical memory isn't as bad as the one from the article, but I'm thinking it's definitely worse than what seems like most people.

Hell, I didn't feel regret as an emotion until just this last year. Never knew what it felt like, even though I objectively knew I had plenty of opportunity to feel it.

the thing that i find funny with people that seem to visually remember stuff is they often get them wrong. i might recall the events in a check list of sorts and when we compare and then fact check, it often turns out they embellished and i was right.

a lot of the time my memories do lack associated specific named emotions but thats cause I usually don't feel much excitement or anything else for events. vacations for example, i don't get. they're just a thing to do. i can't relate to my family who are so set on "making memories"

but i do feel a breeze and go "yes, this reminds me of the mountains" or something. sometimes i don't even know what the feeling i'm recalling is related to. It just seems like other people i talk to don't get it
Damn y'all cry a lot.

tbh i cry at pretty much any movie with violin music. doesn't take much. though for hardcore tears streaming down my cheeks, it takes up for les miserables or something like that.

marrec

Banned
the whole thing was prefaced by a lecture on gravity waves by Kip Thorne and so the weight of that content plus the transcedent beauty of the music broke my defenses.

I'm not ashamed

Ya, definitely don't be ashamed, stuff hits people emotionally in sometimes completely unexpected ways.

That said, I have made a schema connection in my head between "interstellar" and "rolling my eyes" so I don't think even the most powerful performance of the, pun intended, out of this world score by Hans Zimmer would elicit anything out of me but a slightly less exaggerated eyeroll.

FloatOn

Ya, definitely don't be ashamed, stuff hits people emotionally in sometimes completely unexpected ways.

That said, I have made a schema connection in my head between "interstellar" and "rolling my eyes" so I don't think even the most powerful performance of the, pun intended, out of this world score by Hans Zimmer would elicit anything out of me but a slightly less exaggerated eyeroll.

why didn't you like Interstellar?

marrec

Banned
why didn't you like Interstellar?

It was overly long and overly wrought with a cloying plot that I found more funny than emotionally engaging and awful characters.

The visuals were nice though and Matt Damon was a welcome respite from the movie up to that point.

the thing that i find funny with people that seem to visually remember stuff is they often get them wrong. i might recall the events in a check list of sorts and when we compare and then fact check, it often turns out they embellished and i was right.

a lot of the time my memories do lack associated specific named emotions but thats cause I usually don't feel much excitement or anything else for events. vacations for example, i don't get. they're just a thing to do. i can't relate to my family who are so set on "making memories"

but i do feel a breeze and go "yes, this reminds me of the mountains" or something. sometimes i don't even know what the feeling i'm recalling is related to. It just seems like other people i talk to don't get it

I feel the same about the phrase "making memories" though I will say that vacations are dope if only because you can go have fun with specific people in new situations.

Sounds like your autobiographical memory is similar to mine, though I don't have any specific feeling associative memories from smells or other physical sensations except petrichor, which reminds me of New Mexico as a whole.

tbh i cry at pretty much any movie with violin music. doesn't take much. though for hardcore tears streaming down my cheeks, it takes up for les miserables or something like that.

*sad violin music*

TBH after I split with my ex I was super emotionally unstable, almost crying at pretty much everything.

zeemumu

The ending scene of Titanic really does make me crie evry tiem.

Did she die and meet up with all of the other souls in Purgatory so they could cross over together because the Titanic was such an important moment in her life or was it just a dream?

My campus is having an edible insect tasting. I...should I do it? What if it's roaches and I can't hold it down?

sD7Vtcu.gif

Misha

Banned
I feel the same about the phrase "making memories" though I will say that vacations are dope if only because you can go have fun with specific people in new situations.

Sounds like your autobiographical memory is similar to mine, though I don't have any specific feeling associative memories from smells or other physical sensations except petrichor, which reminds me of New Mexico as a whole.

*sad violin music*

no idea if this relates but it seems like a lot of people seem to like to tell me i did things that i never did. like one that sticks with me is my one friend telling me i watched happy gillmore with him. I'm almost certain that the only time i ever saw the movie was on tv at home and not the entire thing but he insists that i saw it with him. he also claims when i was at his house once that i told him "make me a sandwhich" but i think he's referring to one time where he made himself a sandwhich and put the stuff away and i was just standing there waiting for food since normally when you're a guest at someones house they make you food.
my dad also tells me i say or think things that i don't but that might be more subconscious gaslighting. actually all that might be. would explain why i don't enjoy being with that friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom