• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
People going gaga pre-walk n talk phase makes me get that Christian bale confused face

Follow your dreams!

it's not all bad.

one of my vivid, tactile memories of my nieces when they were babies was holding them and their little warm forehead against my chin. And their tiny hands grabbing at my face and stuff.

Baby bday parties are cute. My daughters 6yo party was a goddamned nightmare

something specific happen or just the general chaos?

All I want to do is yell "DICKS!" as many times as I can and as loud as possible on the top of my house.

Maybe even wave a flag that says "FUCK YOU!" that is made out of rainbows and old flannel.

I wanna yell random JerkCity quotes at trees and throw glass containers of spoiled mayo at the bourgeois in town.

I want to wear Lebron's old Heat Jersey, while wearing underwear and point at random people and yell "SOON!"

Dark Souls is kicking my ass and I'm not having fun. I think I need to take a break. The good news is I scheduled a Fellowship of the Ring viewing for my LotR-naive friend next weekend, so that should be fun.

Yeah but we're dudes. We never will. She has a chance.

women aren't intrinsically better at picking up signs. Some of my girlfriends have been extremely naive to boys trying to flirt with them, and I've been told the same for me.

The only real difference is with the patriarchy and expecting men to make the first move.

My friends in highschool used to play the penis game all the time.

I remember winning this game a few times.

zeemumu

Dark Souls is kicking my ass and I'm not having fun. I think I need to take a break. The good news is I scheduled a Fellowship of the Ring viewing for my LotR-naive friend next weekend, so that should be fun.

women aren't intrinsically better at picking up signs. Some of my girlfriends have been extremely naive to boys trying to flirt with them, and I've been told the same for me.

The only real difference is with the patriarchy and expecting men to make the first move.

I do remember one of the instances where it was blatant to me that i was being flirted with and I shut them down because they were being rude throughout most of the day. It's kind of a pre-req that you can't shit on me and THEN flirt with me.

And yeah, if you're on a losing streak in DS, take a break and come back. If you get pissed and start charging in you won't get anywhere. How far'd you get?

I love everything about Xenoblade Chronicles X, but why, oh god, why do the humans resemble creepy anime dolls?

I want to purchase it so bad, but why is it so creepy anime dolls in it?

I don't want to encourage that.

I'm stuck on Vordt of the Boreal Valley.

I know this shouldn't affect me as much as it does, but it pisses me off when translators and people in charge of naming things use names with easily traceable lineage to something that doesn't make any sense in context.

The word boreal is a seldom-used synonym for freezing or arctic (hey, there's another one!). It comes from the name of the Greek god of north winds, Borealis. That's why we call the famous radioactive northern lights the Aurora Borealis, because it's the light of the north winds. So why is there a valley in Lothric named after a Grecian deity? It's as if some lazy translator went to thesaurus.com and searched up synonyms for frozen and called it a day without checking what the word actually means.

At least with arctic the word is common enough parlance to ignore that arktos is the Greek word for bear and it's a reference to our constellations (ursa minor and major).

Will it be the extended version?

hell yes. I haven't touched the theatrical cut in over a decade

zeemumu

I know this shouldn't affect me as much as it does, but it pisses me off when translators and people in charge of naming things use names with easily traceable lineage to something that doesn't make any sense in context.

The word boreal is a seldom-used synonym for freezing or arctic (hey, there's another one!). It comes from the name of the Greek god of north winds, Borealis. That's why we call the famous radioactive northern lights the Aurora Borealis, because it's the light of the north winds. So why is there a valley in Lothric named after a Grecian deity? It's as if some lazy translator went to thesaurus.com and searched up synonyms for frozen and called it a day without checking what the word actually means.

At least with arctic the word is common enough parlance to ignore that arktos is the Greek word for bear and it's a reference to our constellations (ursa minor and major).

I just hid under him until he popped phase two then dodged when appropriate.

As for the name, yeah they probably just looked up boreal and decided that it would work well for a cold place, but given how that place actually looks you could probably argue for the context if you tried hard enough.

Jobbs

Banned

hell yes. I haven't touched the theatrical cut in over a decade

will we be treated to a salt & sanctuary style meltdown? :)

honestly the game seemed overwhelmingly hard at first, but then got manageable as I became accustomed to its rhythm -- until a ways later in the game when there's a significant difficulty spike (which I hit yesterday and which is what has really been testing my patience).

On the bright side, the game does have "difficulty settings", in its own way. Summoning. There's even an NPC to summon right before that boss you're at -- Lion Knight Albert or whatever. His summoning sign is back near where you enter the big stairsteps area (the ajoining area between the fatty knight and the steps). Remember you have to be in kindled form to see signs.

Beyond the NPC, who can alone make the fight way easier, there are sure to be numerous player signs.

I don't find the game to be a lot harder or any harder necessarily than the Bloodborne DLC, which you finished. You probably just need to acclimate to it.

I should probably swallow my pride and summon someone. It feels like cheating, but then again so much of the game is kiting enemies and taking advantage of stage geometry that the AI is bad at navigating.

There probably won't be a full-blown meltdown. Probably.

Jobbs

Banned
I should probably swallow my pride and summon someone. It feels like cheating, but then again so much of the game is kiting enemies and taking advantage of stage geometry that the AI is bad at navigating.

There probably won't be a full-blown meltdown. Probably.

Man.. The sass. I was actually impressed by the AI. It seems more reactive than any of the games to date.

There's incredible enemy/location variety and for the most part it's very artistically strong, with some areas later on particularly standing out in their gorgeousness.

As far as summoning.. PLease don't feel any shame in that, there are some bosses later which were so insanely hard I don't understand what human could do it without a summon, and indeed I had to

Misha

Banned

From my experience, guys are easier to read cause they get drunk and tell you "you're cute" a million times

Jobbs

Banned
From my experience, guys are easier to read cause they get drunk and tell you "you're cute" a million times

you don't think women don't do this?

sometimes women DRAPE THEMSELVES ON YOU LITERALLY

(not often, mind you, but it has happened)

Jobbs

Banned
I did say "from my experience" but that was a joke.

oh I getcha

you mentioned drunk dudes calling you cute, well, drunk women do all kinds of shit to guys too, trust me. everybody be horny, not just dudes

I know that's not every setting. sometimes people are just acquaintances/friends and things are a bit less clear, but there are still signs you can pick up on, I wouldn't say there's any real difference between men and women in this regard, the signs may differ a bit but they are there

just as one example, if a chick laughs a lot at everything I say and pays close attention to my words and actions and reacts to them visibly, I usually take that as meaning she's interested. You can also intuit a lot from eye contact and what happens with it

in that vein if I use body language that is parroted back at me that is often a sign as well

none of this is 100% since some people really just are engaging/friendly without being romantically interested.. but in most cases if a lot of the above is going on it's a good clue

Man.. The sass. I was actually impressed by the AI. It seems more reactive than any of the games to date.

There's incredible enemy/location variety and for the most part it's very artistically strong, with some areas later on particularly standing out in their gorgeousness.

As far as summoning.. PLease don't feel any shame in that, there are some bosses later which were so insanely hard I don't understand what human could do it without a summon, and indeed I had to

sass is my middle name you god amongst gamers you

that's exactly the kind of person you don't want attention from though :(

Jobbs

Banned
Good. I don't want your mate to question what happens to Saruman once you reach Return of the King.

I felt like the saruman shit in ROTK extended was completely unnecessary to the story. There's a reason a lot of that shit was cut.

A coherent narrative that flows is largely attributed to editing and untrimming the fat to sell another thingy doesn't necessarily make the movie better

Good. I don't want your mate to question what happens to Saruman once you reach Return of the King.

Saruman? Oh, you mean the guy who in the books is held prisoner in the Tower of Orthanc until Treebeard grows a pussy and lets him go. The guy who travels all the way up north to Erabor and The Shire just to piss in the hobbits' porridge. The guy who installs a bunch of nasty rules and shirrifs [sic] in Hobbiton and then goes by the name Sharkey.

Sharkey, more than just being a hokey name, would have no meaning to the hobbits. Almost none of them have been to the sea and nor did they mingle with seafarers. Legends of sharks would be wholly nonexistent if they even exist in Arda. That'd be like Saruman naming himself after the Rathgar from Star Wars.

edit: yeah, Jobbs knows what I'm talking about. Gandalf gives some lame Christianese speech to Frodo about confronting Saruman being the mission he's been trained this whole time and it's all very weird.

edit 2: fun fact, the elven ships Frodo and Gandalf leave on at the end are essentially spaceships. Not bullshitting. In the beginning Arda was a flat world, like a disk, at the center of its universe. In the western lands the high elves lived in peace and harmony for eons. Then suddenly the men of Numenor (Aragorn's ancestors) grew super jealous of the high elves being able to live forever, and they thought it was something to do with the magical lands that they lived in, so they started an assault on the elves in what was basically a hostile takeover. They lost of course, but in order to prevent this from ever happening again the elves had God remove them from the world. So the elf land was pulled out of the world and the planet was bent around into an oblate spheroid like Earth is, and the elven land just sits up in space on its own. Also Numenor sank under the ocean which is why the men of old have faded. So the reason men and everyone can't get to the undying lands anymore is because they don't have magical flying boats.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like Lord of the Rings would have been substantially more interesting if Ganondorf was in it instead of in Zelda games.

Jobbs

Banned
They weren't aggressive so much as kinda pathetic. I pretty thoroughly friendzoned them forever and that's pretty much what they were expecting so it wasn't really a big deal

I only tell women they're cute when they get angry

just kidding

That's actually not something i say to women unless already really comfortable with them. It too easily can sound unintentionally condescending

zeemumu

Thanks for the items, Patches. Unfortunately, I've got a streak going of killing you in every Souls game that I've played so far and can't afford to break that streak now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
gEtfYHf.png
I swear to God American showers are the most random thing in the universe. But specially the older kind seen at places such as hotels. This is some of the shit I've stumbled upon during my travels:

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK?

The worst part is that in pure hotel fashion, water only has two real settings: balls freezing cold and boil to your death. Fidgeting the controls to get the temperature right is borderline suicide. And by the time you finally learn them, you've returned home or go to a different place with a new and exciting (and probably weirder) tap. Even simpler models like this one...

... are absurdly hard to operate.

Meanwhile in the civilized world (read: Papa's Abode)

Right knob gradually and safely regulates temperature. Left knob gradually and safely regulates water pressure. The end.

What if I like hitting the signals with a baseball bat?

Increased chances of success? Restraining order? Time to roll that d20.

Misha

Banned
I only tell women they're cute when they get angry

just kidding

That's actually not something i say to women unless already really comfortable with them. It too easily can sound unintentionally condescending

I actually prefer cute but yeah its definitely context sensitive

I swear to God American showers are the most random thing in the universe. But specially the older kind. This is some of the shit I've stumbled upon during my travels:

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK?

The worst part is that in pure hotel fashion, water only has two real settings: balls freezing cold and boil to your death. Fidgeting the controls to get the temperature right is borderline suicide. And by the time you finally learn them, you've returned home or go to a different place with an even weirder tap. Even simpler models like this one...

... are absurdly hard to operate.

Meanwhile in the civilized world (read: Papa's Abode)

Right knob gradually and safely regulates temperature. Left knob gradually and safely regulates water pressure. The end.

Increased chances of success? Restraining order? Time to roll that d20.

nervous sweat just looking at this. I hope my future bf just has a bucket with holes in it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The "absurdly hard to operate" one is actually really easy. Pull toward you to increase pressure and twist to change temperature.

The straightforward knob ones and two knob ones are definitely awful though

The one I found was bizarre because it didn't operate in normal monoblock fashion like you described (which is the most common in Europe), but required some very hard to tune orbit-like movement that didn't make nearly as much sense. IIRC the lever went nearly all the way upwards instead of just stopping in the middle, and being an hotel shower, it jiggled like a motherfucker. It was a complete surprise because it actually looked familiar, yet it operated in the most absurd way.

Of course, it's still a vast improvement over the giant fuck you to good industrial design that is the classic British sink:

inUUNfh.jpg

why

Jobbs

Banned
I actually prefer cute but yeah its definitely context sensitive

I was reflecting on this and I think I'm a quite reserved on paying physical compliments to women unless I'm either involved with them or have a certain rapport that permits it

Food poisoning is not fun.

what'd ya eat bruh

and I agree... I had bad food poisoning when I was 17 -- from something that was in some rice I had at a place -- and it took years, YEARS before the thought of rice didn't disgust me.

I just remember shitting and throwing up for a day and wanting to die and rice became associated with that

zeemumu

My shower's a game of The Price is Right. The lever can only turn counter-clockwise so you have to get it to right point without going over or you'll have to go all the way around and face the freezing cold and scalding hot settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom