• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

Corvo's breakdowns really make me want to take part in this.

I should probably find more anime that I like before ruining the entire medium for myself though. Ho-hum.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That thing was by no means a giant robot. Whatever that abomination was, a giant robot it was not. No way would the crackpot writer endorse giant robots. I mean yeah he gave Juna a bow when he didn't approve of violence, but a machine? Not a chance.
Remember, Kawamori is of Macross fame. In fact, there's multiple Arjuna cameos in Macross Zero and the show itself has much in common!

Look at the staff credits for both shows. Writer and director.

Miyukichi Zetsuen no Tempest Miyukichi

So this was an almost incredibly mediocre urban-fantasy whatever show. It just kept going downhill after three people were arguing in the same spot in a forest for 3-4 episodes but that second half was all dumb. The cringe-inducing chumminess throughout that second half of the show was like watching the ending to Darker than Black 2 spread across 12 episodes.

Literally the only reason to watch. HAKAZE DA GODDESS.

CorvoSol

Corvo's breakdowns really make me want to take part in this.

I should probably find more anime that I like before ruining the entire medium for myself though. Ho-hum.

I find it particularly painful when a show I like begins to suck, or when something awful happens to a franchise I like. This is why, pedophilia and incest or not, Nisemonogatari still isn't as bad as Astral Ocean, which will now and forever be the single worst anime I have ever watched.

I'd say I only currently hate Nisemonogatari as much as I do Attack on Titan. It's a considerable amount of hate, mind you, but it doesn't arrive at the levels of undying, unapologetic, unforgiving hatred I feel for Astral Ocean.

Because I hate Astral Ocean. I hate it more than anything.

Remember, Kawamori is of Macross fame. In fact, there's multiple Arjuna cameos in Macross Zero and the show itself has much in common!

So basically never ever watch Macross Zero ever.

fertygo

Stay stronk Corvo, its will paid off when you reach this.

Kaikimonogatari -21

i8OLGce.jpg
'
Stupid sexy Kaiki, I can hear his Shinichiro Miki all day long.. and all of that MANSERVICE.

But Hanekawa LOLOLOLOL, You can't seriously rocking that Ulala (Persona 2)looks.

Kuroko no Basket 2 11

CZRbBKel.jpg

That breakdown was almost as good as throwing puppies.

It could have been better and lasted longer just due to all the focus spent on it.

Samurai Flamenco - 10
Somehow SF went from being a show that I felt indifferent about in the beginning to the one show I look forward to most each week. I have absolutely no idea where this show is going to go next, and I find that incredibly exciting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm conflicted here.

On the one hand, he worked on Eureka Seven and Vision of Escaflowne.

On the other he also worked on such gems as Stardust Memory and Rah Xephon.

Most perplexingly, if he can make such awesome mechanical designs, how in the world did he so royally fuck up that thing in Arjuna?
Teaching the world was more important.

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy: The Bebop 07
Man can they get a bounty alive at least once? God.
Another good episode. Still not as exciting as 05 but good none-the-less.
Spike's character has been the most interesting so far which makes sense I guess.

Jupiter Jazz is one of my favorites. dont remember what number it is.

I knew I could count on you. :)

Of course man. Nekomimi is how I roll.

Hidamari Sketch: 01

Snow bunnys all the way down.

A nice beginning episode, setting the mood of the show. Nice, calm, and cute. Perfect.

You just started perfection. Enjoy!

CorvoSol

Teaching the world was more important.

Obviously I needed to know about babies feelin' it when pregnant ladies have sex.

NISEMONOGATARI 9-11 AND FINAL THOUGHTS

It is my endeavor, here, to provide some honest thoughts on this series without breaking down into my usual strain of lengthy expletives and heated invective. As such, I will do my very best to dispose of my most obvious complaints before moving on to something resembling a more level-headed review of the show. Allow me to further state that, all dramatics aside, I really did only finish this series for two reasons: I really wanted it to be better than it was and I really hate leaving things half done.

Now, to the very most obvious complaints, shall we? The incest is a bit of a split road for me. I don't presume to really know what it is like to have a kid sister, since both of my sisters are my elders, but as someone who has sisters it strikes me as, and always will, odd than anybody over the age of 5 will ever view their sister in romantic terms. That said, I will note that I feel there were two different branches of incest jokes in this series. The former was centered on Karen, was less "funny haha" and more "fuck me haha". I was not okay with the incest around Karen because it felt less like a joke and more like a fetish. The second was centered on Tsuhiki and felt more like a joke and was mitigated further by the fact that Araragi points out that he feels nothing of that sort for his sister and the fact that
he's forced to prove that his feelings for her are familial after her identity is revealed.
In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that the revelation
"She's not really my sister!" lead almost immediately to a "it's still not hot" and Araragi asserting "but basically she still is my sister."
So the incest, and I confess it surprises me to hear myself saying this, was not as bad when it centered on Tsuhiki as when it did Karen.

Obvious complaint the second is the pedophilia. Yes,
Shinobu becomes a real girl trademark at the end of the show
but that really wasn't the case during
their creepy as all fuck shower scene,
and yes, Araragi's teasing of Hachikuji walks a fairly fine line of being similar to that, but as with Tsuhiki, it comes across much clearer that, creepy talk aside, Araragi is just teasing Hachikuji, whereas
he takes a full on bath with Shinobu. And lengthy shots of everything.
The one is played for laughs and the one is very much so not. Now, here is where I suppose that one might say "Oh so rape or murder are okay as long as it is a joke?" and I grant the merit of the argument, but I'm not so humorless as to condemn a joke I do not find guilty of containing sufficiently malignant intent.

So there are my two obvious complaints with the very most reasonable concessions I can make and without any expletives and furious commentary made. Mostly because you've all heard what wrath I have to expend on them already. Moving on, then, to the rest, shall we?

Let me say that between Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, Nisemonogatari is hilariously inferior, even without the above. First of all, the pacing in Nisemonogatari is horrible. The first arc, which is the location of almost all of Nisemonogatari's myriad sins and failings, lasts a full 7 episodes. Sure, in a Shonen anime an arc can easily last 70. I'm no stranger to dragging things out, I watch Gundam and deal with Tomino pacing every single day. But the severity of a hurricane does not decrease the severity of a tornado. Karen Bee goes on for several episodes before we ever even see Karen and her issue, and when we finally do the entire thing is jumbled as all get out. In fact, when Araragi's kidnapping is thrown in, the whole arc is just all out of order in a way I haven't seen since Haruhi (and for the record, Haruhi's out-of-order style was awful, not cute or clever). I've already said this of episode 4, but that particular episode really wrecks the train of thought, throwing ideas like short-haired-confidant Hanekawa at you in the same moment it handwaves Karen, the arc's central character, and her issue. Without the Karen Bee arc Nisemonogatari would be many, many times better.

The lesson is not learned in Tsuhiki Phoenix, either. Tsuhiki has almost no real screen time and her issue is more of a side fact to the whole throw-down with the new girls. To be fair, Tsuhiki Phoenix has the emotional high point of the entire show, so there's an impressive amount accomplished in the three episodes geared to her. On the other hand Tsuhiki Phoenix has a tooth brush so there's that.

Of the characters introduced in Nisemonogatari, Kaiki is without contest the best. He forms a good, natural foil to Araragi as the only other male character in the show. He has a lot in common with Oshino, too, but his sour demeanor is what really sets him apart. The one and only reason to wade through the Karen Bee arc is to meet Kaiki. The girls introduced at the end are so unimportant and uninteresting that I cannot be bothered to remember their names. It's really a shame that Kaiki was stuck in the Karen Bee arc and they got the Phoenix arc to themselves.

As to Araragi's sisters, I will only comment on Tsuhiki. I have nothing polite to say about Karen, as everything related to her, her arc, and her toothbrush is as dead to me as death can get. Tsuhiki was okay, her comical protection of her brother and propensity for wielding sharpened objects was in some ways better than Senjougahara's intense need to poke people in the face with pencils. Shinobu . . . as a character Shinobu is enjoyable, but there are a lot of things about the way her character was ahem introduced to us that I don't like.

The animation remained enjoyable, and this show continues to fascinate me as the only show not entitled "Gankutsuou" to be able to not make me cringe automatically at the sight of CG in an anime. Character design was, for the most part, on par, although the two girls introduced at the end, particularly pose girl, were not really up to the show's snuff.

Two final notes to wrap this up: of all the bizarre and uncomfortable fetishes in the show, I would like just a moment to mention that it is obvious the people in charge have a thing for feet. There are a LOT of closeups of girls toes and stuff. It's pretty weird and just thought I'd throw that out there for the one of you still listening.

The change in hairstyles was almost universally unwelcome. While Kanbaru getting longer hair was much welcome, Hanekawa cutting hers and the random shot of Senjougahara's hair being shorter at the end were not okay at all. I was indifferent to Sengoku's new bangs style and I hate Karen all around so whatever. She can't be less appealing anyway.

I would probably die if Hachikuji changed hairstyles, though.

So there's that. Nisemonogatari is a much worse show than Bakemonogatari, and if you are at all interested in watching it, I recommend you skip directly to episode 9. You miss out on Kaiki, but you save yourself from so, so much worse.

Araragi just has awesome taste when it comes to women.

So there's that. Nisemonogatari is a much worse show than Bakemonogatari, and if you are at all interested in watching it, I recommend you skip directly to episode 9. You miss out on Kaiki, but you save yourself from so, so much worse.

Episode 8 is one of the best things I've ever watched, rarely does anime go into that kind of insane territory.

Log Horizon 11

this show is at its best when it doesn't focus on combat but on economics, discussions and politics. Shiroe continues to be one of the better protags this season, and the round table people are damn interesting. The beach side of the story doesn't seem like it'll bring much to the table besides comedy and maybe a bit of character development, while the royal ball looks way more interesting.

co1onel

One thing I think I missed, when did the bus accident actually happen? Chronologically when it was brought up in the story or was everything from the first season a part of the world created by Kyosuke? Did Kud ever really exist?

Everything we've seen up until now has taken place in the world created by Kyousuke. IIRC, the world Kyousuke made is repeating the semester before the Bus accident. As far as other people like Kud existing in the real world, you'll have to watch and find out, but there have been hints if you've been watching closely.

fertygo

Everything we've seen up until now has taken place in the world created by Kyousuke. IIRC, the world Kyousuke made is repeating the semester before the Bus accident. As far as other people like Kud existing in the real world, you'll have to watch and find out, but there have been hints if you've been watching closely.

Maeda Jun writing, folks.

cajunator

Banned
I wonder what the chances are that they adapt White Album 2 Closing Chapter. It's going to be a shame if two more episodes (and no ending) are all we get.

yami4ct

Summer Wars

Glad Toonami gave me an excuse to rematch this. It's definitely grown on me after a second go. I've gone from really liking it to loving it now. I still don't think it reaches the same heights of Wolf Children or The Girl Who Leapt through Time, but for what it is, it's an amazing film.

Crocodile

Summer Wars

tumblr_mxgu0vQgNc1r8iz23o4_250.gif

knowshon-cries-2.gif

Fantastic movie. The main protagonist was annoying beta occasionally (he had his moments of awesomeness too to be fair) and there was a moment or two when I thought the CGI was off-putting. I was also pretty annoyed by some of the plot contrivances - "Oh snap its only X minutes into the movie, we can't have the antagonist lose yet! Quick make up some dumb reason why he doesn't!"

However the payoff was well worth it and everything else about the movie was superbly done.

Also, Summer Wars >>>>>>>>>>>> Wolf's Chilren IMO

Bombless

You missed a couple replies Cajun-kun, Corvo already finished :p

Corvo, I agree with your review. I forced myself beyond ep 8 because I wanted to finish it. Took me a while to motivate myself to start Monogatari afterwards, but I'm glad I did, it is MUCH better.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Summer Wars
Absolutely loved the movie, great action, lovel yOST, fantastic animation and the film just had alot of heart, it was great. Watching with toonamigaf just made it that much better.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hey you know, that's really great, but TEETH.

FUCKING TOOTH BRUSH.

LITERALLY. HE FUCKED HER. IN THE MOUTH. WITH A TOOTH BRUSH.

I MEAN THAT IS SOME PANTY AND STOCKING WITH GARTERBELT SHIT.

TEETH.

Is this the most amazing scene I have ever seen? The most heinous? The most creative? The most horrifying? Is this the greatest nuclear fireworks display of all time? Do I hate this show more than I hate Gundam AGE and Sword Art Online and Pocket Full of Rainbows and Rah Xephon and Arjuna combined?

I THINK I VERY WELL MIGHT. Mostly because I LIKED this show.

Now I don't know what the fuck to do because my night ends with a guy mouth-fucking his kid sister with a goddamn tooth brush. I'm going back to giant robots where I know it is safe.
Most excellent, and yes we were referring to this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom