• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
h8XGMVH.png

IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS ONE OF THESE GIRLS IS GOING TO
LOSE.

Place your bets AnimeGaf!!!

Loser to be inelligible for Smash.

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episode 25

That was some pretty dark stuff. It's definitely a message which needed to be sent though. The feel good super heroic action climax happened in ep23, so that leaves the more painful and disturbing consequences of war on a personal level to be portrayed here. I honestly don't want to say too much, since spoilers and all, but the episode was really effective. Even though a bunch of the animation in the second half felt kinda rushed and unfinished, the direction was good enough to deliver the points which mattered. War begets war, warwongers will never let go, and in the end, victory can be so hollow when you realize how fragile the things you want to protect really are. The subtitle for the episode is perfect - "The Forever War".

----

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episode 26 (End)

What a perfect ending. My favorite stories are those which come full circle and allow all the deeds and experiences of the characters to play a part in coming together to define the conclusion itself. This doesn't just feel like the conclusion of the long journey, but it feels like a summation of the essence of the journey itself for all the characters involved. It felt like the Yamato itself followed the thoughts, hopes, and dreams of the entire crew, and provided a worthy reward for everyone who survived. In one way or another, every major character found closure in their character arcs, allowing their stories to come to a satisfying conclusion while also being a sort of new beginning for whatever journeys they might have ahead of their lives in the future.

lpeieIC.gif

Ay0VcZJ.gif

utKYWkM.gif

duckroll

Were you watching the TV version or the BD version?

BD. It's not like it's actually "unfinished", it just lacked polish towards the end. It's clear they were literally dying making the episode due to the time constrains though. There were over 10 character animation directors. >_<

I didn't find it really distracting though, because I was too busy being glued to the screen. What a fucking amazing series.

Pooya

While the character designs aren't exactly exciting they do a fairly good job of updating and modernising the original designs without straying too far from what made them iconic. There's not a lot of wiggle room there unless you want to be really bold like, say, Fujiko show whatever it was called. I think they're pretty clean and attractive, for the most part:

Now these are actually quite good, there is something really wrong with those others.

something probably gone wrong in that episode.

Happiness Charge Precure will be directed by Tatsuya Nagamine (Heartcatch Precure, One Piece Film Z, Saint Seiya Omega S2) and written by Yoshimi Narita (Yes! Precure 5, Saint Seiya Omega S2). (Source)

HappinessCharge time. Same pictures you've seen before, though, so it's not really anything new, just fancier.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/happinesscharge_precure/
http://asahi.co.jp/precure/happiness/

Finally, some non-scan images of LOLLIPOP HIPHOP AND MACADAMIA HULA DANCE

Happiness Charge Precure will be directed by Tatsuya Nagamine (Heartcatch Precure, One Piece Film Z, Saint Seiya Omega S2) and written by Yoshimi Narita (Yes! Precure 5, Saint Seiya Omega S2). (Source)

WHOO---

Wait, Saint Seiya S2 and Y5!?

FUCK! THe best we can get is probably meaningful relationship building. Ugggggh

Space Brothers 73:
Another inspiring episode of Space Brothers where people can make dreams into reality. The windshield display idea was actually pretty cool, and I didn't really see it coming at first. It's actually a pretty logical way of solving the problem, and seems like a realistic 'five minutes in the future' type of technology for the show. The flashbacks to Mutta's time at the car company also really showed how he was still a dreamer who was working hard to make things happen even when he wasn't actually pursuing his original dream of going to the moon

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh. I disliked the one episode I saw and probably part reasons thats argued. About my life that I brought to the material. And so I could see it as a kind of rorschach test. Plus I fucking loath cringe comedy.

The weirdest thing to me about the episode though was the use of Wolf Children as a platform for a hate screed against so called 'furries' and how the film creeped them out a bit because of its furriness. But then I generally dislike the hate furries get on the internet. Especially since the folks who are sexually aroused by anthropomorphic animals are just the sharp end.
I like Watamote because of how sharp it is, although in hindsight it gets a bit repetitive since no one in the show shows any sign of growth. I don't see it as a comedy as much as it is a satire, like Flowers of Evil.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episode 26 (End)

What a perfect ending. My favorite stories are those which come full circle and allow all the deeds and experiences of the characters to play a part in coming together to define the conclusion itself. This doesn't just feel like the conclusion of the long journey, but it feels like a summation of the essence of the journey itself for all the characters involved. It felt like the Yamato itself followed the thoughts, hopes, and dreams of the entire crew, and provided a worthy reward for everyone who survived. In one way or another, every major character found closure in their character arcs, allowing their stories to come to a satisfying conclusion while also being a sort of new beginning for whatever journeys they might have ahead of their lives in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/lpeieIC.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Ay0VcZJ.gif

http://i.imgur.com/utKYWkM.gif

With all that applause, are you saying that Yamato 2199 26 is like Evangelion 26?!

Quasar

So a new Seitokai Yakuindomo 2 PV is online.

After an inital 'yay' from me, I remember the gags got tired part way through S1. So I do have to wonder if we'll get new gags or will it just be more of the same.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So a new Seitokai Yakuindomo 2 PV is online.

After an inital 'yay' from me, I remember the gags got tired part way through S1. So I do have to wonder if we'll get new gags or will it just be more of the same.
If the slow trickle of OVAs were any indication, they'll have jokes that last an entire season before reaching a punchline and lots of individual sex jokes. It's main advantage is that it goes through jokes like there's no tomorrow, but it's all down to girls being perverted.

duckroll

For my Yamato 2199 bros, I would really recommend the articles on this site: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/?s=2199&submit=Search

There's a mix of translated and original content featuring interviews and articles about 2199 in general. Some great stuff there.

Of particular interest would be the these.

Interview with the director of ep9 and ep19: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/428/
Interview with one of the writers: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/794/
Interview with the producers: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/86/

Some awesome quotes which I think shows...

a) The importance of passion:
Overall, everyone there loves Yamato and that’s why they made it. Someone might have their opinion and someone else might disagree with it, and there might be a huge argument, but after that the answer is going to be really good and solid.

b) The importance of having a good team and trusting them to help you:
Morita: The first proposal that was presented by director Izubuchi faithfully reproduced all of the original 26 TV episodes. The writing team overturned it right away. (Laughs) This would be a work of the 21st Century, and viewers wouldn’t find the Gamilas image from about 40 years ago to be convincing.

Since director Izubuchi has an intensely strong feeling for Yamato, he said, “can’t we just make it as is?” But the writing team kept up solidarity and said, “they are completely different in the latter half,” and as a result of their discussions, the current direction for 2199 was made.

c) The importance of having producers who know what the fuck they're doing:
Gunji: In addition, I think that each character has a purpose. Then I think there are a few places where an important factor of 2199 is “good and evil dualism.” For example, Hilde is excited when Dessler makes a speech in Episode 8. He’s the ruthless dictator who drove her father to his death, but Hilde is a daughter who gives her enthusiastic support. Although it looks glittery on the surface, it has the cynical complexity of reality.

It isn’t said out loud, but it’s interesting when you get a glimpse of that glitter. At the beginning of Episode 15, the Garmillas national anthem is used as a “melody of destruction” by Gimleh, but it comes out as a symbol of unity in Episode 19. Looking at something like Shulz’s death, I think there are a lot of people who view the Zaltsians with pity as they’re ruled by the Garmillas. However, in other scenes, there are also Zaltsians who support Dessler, and in Episode 19 there are some who boast, “We’re Garmillans” who participate in the battle.

Quasar

I like Watamote because of how sharp it is, although in hindsight it gets a bit repetitive since no one in the show shows any sign of growth. I don't see it as a comedy as much as it is a satire, like Flowers of Evil.

Another show I didn't like (for tone mainly). For me and it was mentioned by Justin was the whole no-one intervening to save the poor girl, who should be in therapy and probably medicated. The last straw for me was her blackmailing her brother to do stuff or she'd kill herself.

Kazzy

As a satire, it's fairly directionless, as the case could be made as to what it's portraying (or deconstructing), is only touched upon in the most superfluous of ways. It's really blighted by that inconsistency, as any shift in tone just seems extremely wrought. That's not to mention that any earnest attempt at character development is undercut by the formulaic nature of each episode - something which runs contrary to having those kinds of lasting changes.

Jex

I don't know why people are watching all this fake Christmas anime nonsense:

[Tokyo Godfathers]

Now that's still the definitive Christmas anime movie. So gosh darned good!

Satoshi Kon, you were too good for the anime industry :(

If the slow trickle of OVAs were any indication, they'll have jokes that last an entire season before reaching a punchline and lots of individual sex jokes. It's main advantage is that it goes through jokes like there's no tomorrow, but it's all down to girls being perverted.

They'll just go through the manga material until there's no more left!

Hell, maybe they'll adapt the managaka's other series and see if anyone notices.

sonicmj1

A satire that goes after people with intense social anxiety would be picking too easy a target. It's not particularly compelling.

Flowers of Evil isn't exactly humorous, but it's also a lot more unsparing in its social critique. Everyone is implicated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Another show I didn't like (for tone mainly). For me and it was mentioned by Justin was the whole no-one intervening to save the poor girl, who should be in therapy and probably medicated. The last straw for me was her blackmailing her brother to do stuff or she'd kill herself.
Eh, if you want to isolate yourself, it's fairly easy to do. Given that, in Canada, there have been at least two high profile suicide of teenaged girls, I can see how people in a position of authority could just let someone fall through the cracks.

Like, there was that one teacher and the stuco president who show signs of caring about her, but it's nothing to the extent that it would drastically change the nature of the series.

Which leads to...

As a satire, it's fairly directionless, as the case could be made as to what it's portraying (or deconstructing), is only touched upon in the most superfluous of ways. It's really blighted by that inconsistency, as any shift in tone just seems extremely wrought. That's not to mention that any earnest attempt at character development is undercut by the formulaic nature of every episode - something which runs contrary to having those kinds of lasting changes.
... the problem of the text being a manga, which needs to basically produce something on a schedule and keep going indefinitely in order to keep a career going. In this way, it becomes basically a case of showing awkward scenario after awkward scenario. My understanding is that at this point in the manga, they managed to add another
girl for dual awkwardness

If this book were like Fap Note, I'm sure you'd see much more of an arc anyway.

For my Yamato 2199 bros, I would really recommend the articles on this site: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/?s=2199&submit=Search
I blame you for this:
Riivw8j.jpg

And this:
L3kGnh8l.jpg

This is like when people told me that there were Aria doujin or that Santa Claus wasn't real!

They'll just go through the manga material until there's no more left!

Hell, maybe they'll adapt the managaka's other series and see if anyone notices.
Well, can you really run out of ways for girls to be perverted?!

A satire that goes after people with intense social anxiety would be picking too easy a target. It's not particularly compelling.

Flowers of Evil isn't exactly humorous, but it's also a lot more unsparing in its social critique. Everyone is implicated.
I feel like both texts are aimed directly at the type of person who would read a comic book in the first place. Watamote is pretty much the anti-shoujo. Hell, Tomoko even brings up Kimi ni Todoke and draws comparisons to herself and Sawako.

And I feel like Aku no Hana pokes at Kasuga and his superiority complex. At least in the so-called "first part" anyway. Again, much like what happens in Fap Note.

[

Well, can you really run out of ways for girls to be perverted?!

Well, we really don't want the dreaded animated original content or something like that!

Though, I wouldn't mind if his other series gets adapted since this time there's slightly more equal opportunity perversion between both genders.

Quasar

Eh, if you want to isolate yourself, it's fairly easy to do. Given that, in Canada, there have been at least two high profile suicide of teenaged girls, I can see how people in a position of authority could just let someone fall through the cracks.

Like, there was that one teacher and the stuco president who show signs of caring about her, but it's nothing to the extent that it would drastically change the nature of the series.

I was thinking more family intervention with teacher aid. And yeah I realise kids can and do fall through the cracks (I'm not unaware of kid suicide rates), but I get less than zero entertainment value watching that. Which is why I said fuck this show with episode one. Also despite being a shy geek at school I did not relate in any way to the anger in the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was thinking more family intervention with teacher aid. And yeah I realise kids can and do fall through the cracks (I'm not unaware of kid suicide rates), but I get less than zero entertainment value watching that. Which is why I said fuck this show with episode one. Also despite being a shy geek at school I did not relate in any way to the anger in the show.
I think the show is making fun of her anger and her need to escape through her nerdom. Of course, it also takes the time to remind us of how sad she is as well, so there's also a comment on making us as culpable for her isolation as she is.

Last live action thing i watched was PGSM. Figured the medium peaked there and never looked back.
Live action Ace wo Nerae!

syoaran

Steins Gate Movie

I'm not sure I liked it. A lot of the film was enjoyable, but I felt it thematically fell apart at the end. Final shot was beautiful though, despite a fairly nonsense plot in the last 15mins.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
oh damn, that sounds good
So good.

In fact, they went ahead and used the same actress for Attack No. 1, which is basically Ace wo Nerae but with volleyball. lol

Well, we really don't want the dreaded animated original content or something like that!

Though, I wouldn't mind if his other series gets adapted since this time there's slightly more equal opportunity perversion between both genders.
Boys aren't allowed to be perverted in anime! Even in echii, they are pure!

In the spirit of christmas, our family chocolates were taken from an anonymous person :/

EDIT: HaCHa info translated by the LJ community

Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely: The protagonist whose redeeming features are her happy-go-lucky attitude and smile. When people who feel troubled or depressed want to be left alone, she unintentionally meddles in their issues. Though she is awkward/tactless, and her attempts at helping others often end in failure, she thoroughly looks to the positive and is skilled at seeing the good in people. She has an interest in cute fashion, but her fashion sense isn&#8217;t very good&#8230;

Shirayuki Hime/Cure Princess: Located in a small country on Earth, she is the princess of the Blue Sky kingdom, and its future queen. To save the Blue Sky Kingdom from being totally ruled by the evil organization of the Phantom Kingdom, she becomes a Pretty Cure, except she is easily scared and will immediately try to escape from in the middle of fights. Because of her shyness she never had friends, but Megumi became her first friend. She loves pretty and cute things and her fashion sense is extraordinary!

Cure Fortune: An unidentified and aloof Pretty Cure. She helps the weak and has a strong sense of justice and a gentleness when she consoles people. With her sense of duty as a Precure and her excellent fighting skills, she goes on her own to bring down the Saiark one by one.

Cure Honey: Please look forward to her introduction &#9834;

Ribbon: Hime&#8217;s mediator/agent/manager, as well as Cure Lovely and Cure Princess&#8217;s fairy partner. Every so often, Ribbon uses their adorable voice and cute face to utter bitter/sharp words! Ribbon is a more gutsy person/stronger character than Hime.

http://precure.livejournal.com/2535076.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom