• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Log Horizon 1
Seems alright. Everyone already has their levels capped so nobody will be learning any new moves I suppose. Only weird part is that Shiroe denied to join a guild saying he isn't ready to be in one yet, and yet he asked Akatsuki to join him earlier in the episode.

Mr.Jeff

2uvacVc.png

How to summon a missing Gundam pilot.

Gundam Wing - 05
So 5 episodes in and we still have zero ideas about why the Gundam pilots are down here aside from blowing shit up. Aside from that, there are some really nice visual cues in the show such as this one were after Gundam pilot leaves after destroying the pilot's suit, the cross hair from her suit pans down out of sight.
Then for no reason you have this scene. You know, because they're both so busy and all.

Basically, get to the fucking point already.

Are there any good shows airing this week? It feels like a total wash.

Well, it's impossible to say what will be good before it airs, but here's what I think is noteworthy and when it starts airing:

Thursday (10/2): Denki-Gai no Honya-san, Amagi Brilliant Park, Gundam Reconguista in G
Friday (10/3): Garo, Donten ni Warau
Saturday (10/4): Log Horizon S2, Magic Kaito 1412, Fate/stay Night
Sunday (10/5): Seven Deadly Sins, Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Monday (10/6): Mysterious Joker, Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis, Yowamushi Pedal S2
Tuesday (10/7): Akatsuki no Yona
Wednesday (10/8): Gundam Build Fighters Try, Parasyte
Thursday (10/9): Shirobako, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Saturday (10/18): Mushishi Zoku-Sho part 2

I suspect Keiichi Sato doesn't like working with "anime" writers. He made Tiger & Bunny with Masafumi Nishida, who writes for TV dramas, movies, and stage plays. In fact, T&B is the only anime he ever wrote for. Ikuko Takahashi who wrote Asura is also a stage writer who occasionally writes for anime. Tomohiro Suzuki wrote the Saint Seiya movie, and before working on a few T&B episodes, he was also a former TV drama writer.

In fact, I read an interview where they talked about the Saint Seiya movie and how Sato's directive from the start was to not make an anime style CG movie, but rather one that feels as much like a live action film as possible. That actually explains a lot with regards to how the movie looks. Lol.
Very interesting. Maybe he's aware how poor the writing in Karas is.

The Wind Rises

Finally got round to watching this. I was very impressed. I'm assuming that Jiro is supposed to be on the autistic spectrum, I hope I'm not mistaken.

I love the way everything is considered and there are so many events in this period that the show tackles. The simple section of Jiro attempting to give some cake to some kids said so much. There are so many references to the time period that give it that authenticity. Sanatoriums for tuberculosis, Japanese people copy everything, the Oxen moving the planes all these elements make the film really ground itself in your mind as a realistic depiction of Japan at that time, with it's faults and it's beauties.

The characters feel real, Honjo and Jiro feel like real bros. The romance is very... Japanese but still very thoughtful. Jiro's actions towards his wife can be considered selfish but at the same time we understand deeply how dire the situation is.

The animation is breathtaking, the attention to detail and the subtle folds and flow of clothing had my jaw on the floor. The double eyes because of the glasses just made me wow.

The entire war period is so fascinating as a modern viewer as we have the perfect objectivity, but I am glad they did not fall into that trap. Whilst Jiro acknowledges that Japan cannot win the war the film never has the characters break into an unnatural criticism of the nation's war effort. WW2 was evil, but it was one caused by humans each person living out their lives with its ups and downs and trials and successes. Necessity is the mother of all invention and the unfortunate fact is that in times of war is when the people create the greatest things. By not shying away from that but instead showing the failure and growth of Jiro till he finally created his masterpiece, even if that was a weapon that would be used to cause heartbreak and suffering for others.

The dream sequences are probably the only part I am not a major fan of, but even they allow an incredible amount of introspection and self-analysis which allow the story telling to flourish.

10/10

Berserk - 21

It's happening. After a swordfight and failed sudoku attempt it happened. I'm happy for you ;_;
Now Im starting to wonder if E01 may not be something Griffith made to anger Guts as I was thinking all along, but it's the rescue mission.

jgminto

Well, it's impossible to say what will be good before it airs, but here's what I think is noteworthy and when it starts airing:

Thursday (10/2): Denki-Gai no Honya-san, Amagi Brilliant Park, Gundam Reconguista in G
Friday (10/3): Garo, Donten ni Warau
Sunday (10/5): Seven Deadly Sins, Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Monday (10/6): Mysterious Joker, Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis, Yowamushi Pedal S2
Tuesday (10/7): Akatsuki no Yona
Wednesday (10/8): Gundam Build Fighters Try, Parasyte
Thursday (10/9): Shirobako, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Ah, G-Reco is airing this week. That's one show at least. Everything else I care about is next week.

Sailor Moon 39

I seriously wanted to kill myself watching this, our entire cast of main characters were useless and our monsters were useless, kunzite was a moron who left when he had won, and everyone had to get bailed out by evil Tuxedo Mask. This is by far the worst episode of Sailor Moon I've seen, also I have to thank shard for clarifying that Minako becomes the ditz to help diversify her, as right now it seems like her personality is "imma girl" and I never know how she'll react during any scene

OceanBlue

Saturdays are going to be pretty fun. Shame that Mushishi is three weeks away though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
On of the mistakes they did with Minako is introducing her during one of the plot critical portions of the show and thus there we never any time to develop her. In fact, I believe it is episode 42 in which we finally get her background as Sailor V.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just got back from the premiere of F/SN. It was done really well. Faithful to VN readers. Was 45 mins or so covering the prologue.

Jex

[Space Dandy] - Finale

This was a very entertaining send off to the series. A never ending series of twists, turns and utterly crazy action set pieces that really paid homage to a number of over-the-top finales within the medium of anime. A real feast for the eyes. A spectacle in the truest sense.

Unfortunately, the entire thing fell rather flat for me. While I'd say it was a decent episode of Space Dandy it was several points off 'great'. The best episodes of this show have either had a solid emotional core (see the recent Scarlet episode) or have shown the audience something new and beautiful (Yuasa's episode, the Planet of the Dead etc). They're unique and interesting in a way that captivates the audience.

This finale was just a load of fun action set pieces. They were great, but I didn't really find anything satisfying there. The unique hook at the end was really something that's been explored in a more interesting way recently (Samurai Flamenco).

Like everyone else I have my own favourite episodes from this show, but I'm not quite sure on all the fine details yet.

jgminto

With all the stuff and impressions I've seen from Tomino I feel like I should probably be more scared than excited.

Copypasting my short thoughts of FSN Prologue here:

The first episode was an almost verbatim adaptation of Fate/stay night's Prologue, which meant that storywise it was primarily Rin being a screwup and Archer continuously reminding her that she's a screwup. It had a much softer and lighter feel than Fate/Zero due to the all snarking going around, but it made the mandatory Nasuverse exposition more tolerable at the very least. The characters also were more vibrant and animated in comparison to the somewhat stiff animation from Fate/Zero's Episode 1, which also contributed to that feel.

This episode also had a lot of different background shots, as if ufotable really wanted to flaunt their digital photography prowess. Lots of various scenery showcased here during Rin's tour of the city, and basically whenever Rin moves from one location to another in general. These actually looked great. On the other hand, the use of the dynamic camera for some scenes were kind of a mixed bag.

As for that Lancer vs Archer scene, the choreography and animation really showcased the weight and speed of that fight. You really get a sense of how crazy these battles between heroes actually are, and the fight itself was easy to follow still (for me, anyway). There was a prerecorded QA session with Miura, Sudou, and Kondo where they stated that one of the key things they really wanted to focus on for this new FSN was the animation, and this first episode really drives that point home.

Oh yeah, the music was great.

Space Dandy 10

A sweet episode. I liked how the time loop matched Meow being stuck in his past on his home planet. It's always nice to see these kind of sci-fi tropes being done not just for the hell of it but also to underline the characters and themes going on. To quote Jexhius from his above finale review, there was an "emotional core" to this episode, particularly in the relationship between Meow and his dad, that made it resonate for me. A couple jokes didn't work (that
lesbian
thing was so random), but it wasn't an episode that relied on its humor so it wasn't really a problem.

In the LNs of Fate/Zero we actually get an explanation for
Lancelot
being a crazy berserker and the fight doesn't end in such a weirdly edited way.
That's a shame. I didn't find their confrontation all that satisfying in the anime so that would help explain why.

Sailor Moon 40

So what happens when this girl gets to heaven and finds her old lover and the angel chick together? Will she turn back into a monster?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Space Dandy] - Finale
Unfortunately, the entire thing fell rather flat for me. While I'd say it was a decent episode of Space Dandy it was several points off 'great'. The best episodes of this show have either had a solid emotional core (see the recent Scarlet episode) or have shown the audience something new and beautiful (Yuasa's episode, the Planet of the Dead etc). They're unique and interesting in a way that captivates the audience.

This finale was just a load of fun action set pieces. They were great, but I didn't really find anything satisfying there. The unique hook at the end was really something that's been explored in a more interesting way recently (Samurai Flamenco).
When you're dealing with callbacks to try and create a circular logic for the series it's inevitable that it's not really going to hit the creative highs Space Dandy reached for in its more abstract episodes. Like, the finale's surfing sequence was kind of neat in the context of the visual information overload the rest of the battle delivers, but in actuality Space Dandy has done way better stuff with surfing in episodes where that's the focus. For a show that was often exciting because it was overly ambitious it sure ends on a predictable and straightforward note.

mankoto

Log Horizon 2
I'm surprised with how far into detail they went with the explanation on moves and even classes.

Despite with not wanting to be involved in Guilds, he's going to go help one out since the guild is too weak to fulfill their current mission. It's interesting though, yes, Shiroe is the strategist, but in his mind he waa trying to see if the guild could handle it only before offering to do it himself. Didn't expect that actually.

The show seems promising so far. Although I could live without the OP.

Tribe Cool Crew Episode 1 – The Moves of Fate! The Two Meet!

Thus far best start to an anime this season, the ost is on fire always and the special things they do with the backgrounds when Hanae is into it and Rhythm too. We need dance offs and such.

Clov

The Tatami Galaxy 01

Stick with it! The first episode might seem dense because the the amount and speed of the dialogue, but you get used to it since it's less of a problem in later ones. It's a brilliant and wonderful series, one of my all time favorites (if not my absolute favorite). Hope you enjoy the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom