• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No Hyouka is sad, but it would've probably only tied Mononoke for me. Dennou Coil and Ping Pong were definitely superior works.

Dennou Coil
Ping Pong
Mononoke

I Am a Hero
Punpun
Aku no Hana

TUSR

Banned
No Hyouka is sad, but it would've probably only tied Mononoke for me. Dennou Coil and Ping Pong were definitely superior works.

Dennou Coil
Ping Pong
Mononoke

I Am a Hero
Punpun
Aku no Hana

pywxHET.png

Haly

I like Hyouka a lot, and it's easily my favorite KyoAni series, but it's very low on the list of "stuff I think is so good that everyone should try it", which is the metric I use when it comes to ranking things in a vacuum.

mankoto

Gundam SEED 12
Flay decides to stay which in turn makes everyone want to stay and ultimately Kira. Considering how she's been acting lately, I wouldn't be surprised if she planned that. Or at least if that didn't work, she'd find some sort of excuse to bring him back.

TUSR

Banned
I like Hyouka a lot, and it's easily my favorite KyoAni series, but it's very low on the list of "stuff I think is so good that everyone should try it", which is the metric I use when it comes to ranking things in a vacuum.

Hyouka definitely isn't for everyone.

Haly

Also I don't know why Wandering Son or Aoi Hana aren't in the manga section, but Aoi Hana is up for anime.

WTF Sugoi???

So Mike, whatcha watching ne...
Rail Wars 01
LOL
So I've been listening to the /filmcast (a film podcast) for hundreds of episodes and suddenly I stumble across a couple of episodes where one of the hosts sits down to watch an anime. It's always fascinating to hear a complete outsider give their opinion on an anime because their unique perspective meant they commented on things a seasoned viewer would take for granted.

Unfortunately, he ended up watching Elfin Lied because that's what happened to be on Netflix. Oh well. My point is that it's a shame we don't get to hear these "outsider" voices more often. Without those opinions and views conversations can end up a little 'insular'.

I can't describe how sad and angry this makes me feel. He'll never watch anime again.

mankoto

Gundam SEED 13
Between that kiss and the episode preview, I'm about to lose my mind. This is not okay. Sai did nothing wrong.

Wasn't the entire point of descending to make sure they didn't get Strike? What was the point in sending it out? That's so counterproductive it hurts. Also, Kira now has a reason to fight?

Log Horizon

I started watching Log Horizon when it first aired but dropped it after a few eps. I don't why since I didn't hate what I saw, but I guess I just lost interest. With Season 2 fast approaching I thought I would go back and bingewatch the whole series. Finished it in 2 days. The first arc is definitely the weakest point of the series, since it's the dreaded "rescue" arc, and in my opinion those are never done well. Going over the initial arc brought me to what the best part of the series is, the excellent world building. Learning so much about the world of Elder Tale and how it operates, as well as the history of the world and how it coincides with its gameness, also seeing how everyone adjusted to this not being just a game but their new home got me really engaged with the plot. Cool battle sequences and generally good animation that made me shocked to find out that it was DEEN of all things that made this. I will also say this: This is one of the few anime out their where I didn't hate any of the characters in it (sans the ones you are supposed to hate). All in all an excellent series. Can't wait to go back into he Database soon.

Log Horizon

I started watching Log Horizon when it first aired but dropped it after a few eps. I don't why since I didn't hate what I saw, but I guess I just lost interest. With Season 2 fast approaching I thought I would go back and bingewatch the whole series. Finished it in 2 days. The first arc is definitely the weakest point of the series, since it's the dreaded "rescue" arc, and in my opinion those are never done well. Going over the initial arc brought me to what the best part of the series is, the excellent world building. Learning so much about the world of Elder Tale and how it operates, as well as the history of the world and how it coincides with its gameness, also seeing how everyone adjusted to this not being just a game but their new home got me really engaged with the plot. Cool battle sequences and generally good animation that made me shocked to find out that it was DEEN of all things that made this. I will also say this: This is one of the few anime out their where I didn't hate any of the characters in it (sans the ones you are supposed to hate). All in all an excellent series. Can't wait to go back into he Database soon.

I'd say the economy, the world building and Shiroe make the series. Shiroe definitely helps because there have been protagonists before that the general population hates/fears, but the fact he continues to stick around in the shadows and just wins at life with tactics is amazingly entertaining

I'd say the economy, the world building and Shiroe make the series. Shiroe definitely helps because there have been protagonists before that the general population hates/fears, but the fact he continues to stick around in the shadows and just wins at life with tactics is amazingly entertaining

Shiroe's one of my favorite protagonists because it's rare to see a shounen protag that uses his brain and underhanded tactics rather than just stab at things. Seeing him go full super villain is immensely entertaining.

Log Horizon

DEEN is the studio behind the upcoming season. It was Satelight which did the first season.

mankoto

Gundam SEED 14
Kinda weird that the first coordinator had to upload how he became one on the net. If it was really like that I wouldn't doubt that he wasn't the absolute first, but the first recorded one.

I'd be able to enjoy this series despite its flaws, but Flay's inferiority complex regarding Coordinators and her hidden agenda is unforgivable.
One of the many reasons why Flay is an unlikable bitch.
fuck-this-thing-cat.gif

Oh hey, that girl from episode 1 is back...
If she's with them, then doesn't that make the professor or whomever an insider and is the one who took the photos?

mankoto

Gundam NOPE 16
For the sake of my sanity can someone tell me, if
Flay is written out of the show somehow? This is torturing my soul.

Kira's God Mods have activated again.

Haly

Hyouka 2 (rewatch):

Mayaka was introduced in this episode. I always liked the Mayaka/Satoshi dynamic. A one sided romance between a relatively plain girl and relatively plain guy, it's not something you see often in anime, or, hell, in fiction. The source material deserves more credit for this than KyoAni, but even so, we've all seen shows or movies where a good source material didn't result in a good adaptation. KyoAni could've turned the characters into caricatures, and they didn't.

One of the things many people commented on while watching Hyouka was KyoAni experimenting with different art styles for certain narration sequences. I wish they would do more of that these days.

For a series grounded in reality, Hyouka frequently ventured into the realm of the fantasy during its wordless metaphors. It had an amazing visual language for serialized television.

Many people who watched Hyouka saw a dull slice of life anime, which isn't an unfair judgement on a surface level. Hyouka, however, didn't win NeoGAF AOTY 2012 off the strength of its plot. It was always the amount of effort KyoAni placed in the little details that set Hyouka apart from other anime.

(Note the clock in the top left.)

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 10

Suffering x 100

Fuck man. I caught feels. It all makes sense now, especially episode 1. This is too sad :(

CorvoSol

Gundam NOPE 16
For the sake of my sanity can someone tell me, if
Flay is written out of the show somehow? This is torturing my soul.

Kira's God Mods have activated again.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FLAY IS NEVER GOING TO STOP

until they get someone even worse in Destiny.

TUSR

Banned
Hyouka 2 (rewatch):
For a series grounded in reality, Hyouka frequently ventured into the realm of the fantasy during its wordless metaphors. It had an amazing visual language for serialized television.

These moments are great because KyoAni is flexing their animation talent. One thing Hyouka did well was setting the mood with their lighting.

Haly

Hyouka 3 (rewatch):
After the fake confession scene
FUCK YOU KYOANUS
, Chitanda asks Oreki to help her retrieve a lost memory. Oreki is initially uninterested, but after seeing Chitanda's desperation, he beings to pity her and relents to her request. There was a small sequence here that I thought was a very nice touch in showing how Oreki gets lost in thought when it comes to Chitanda
moe~

Oreki sips from his cup of coffee.
After a few sips.
Oreki sips again, cup is maybe half full.
Rose-tinted dream sequence.
Oreki tries to sip his coffee, but realizes it's empty. He drank all of it while pondering Chitanda's request and didn't even notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom