• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

That's pretty much it. I liked it quite a bit then but right now I don't remember much from it. It doesn't leave any lasting impression.

I think what hurts it is that the premise has already been done 5 million times before in anime. It's better executed than most, but it still does absolutely nothing new or original.

My opinion on it might be hurt unfairly by watching it in tandem with Mushishi, which similarly deals with supernatural creatures but does it in actually interesting ways and has far more thematic depth.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gundam Build Fighters ep.1-25

eaC3eiol.jpg

JoeFu

Banned
Lol just finished Ai Mai Mi : Musou Catastrophe. Such a stupid and amazing show. What was the point of it? Doesn't matter. It's hilarious.

I think I liked the first season more? Maybe?

cajunator

Banned
With everybody here anticipating Parasyte, you just know that Funi will pick it up.

is Parasyte similar in nature to Shadowstar Narutaru?

Wow you guys weren't kidding, the outtakes to dubbed Berserk is hilarious. I spit my drink at nanana BATMAN

This is the hidden treasure of the Berserk dub. Ihowever it may have ruined Berserk because I always expect Griffith to break into song in serious moments.

CR has picked up InouBattle.

I'm actually looking forward to it.

My squees are ready.

Surely the boss woman has fallen for him and that's why she gave him the promotion. All the other females he's encountered has done so.
Yeah, that's got to be the reason, doesn't it. He certainly hasn't done anything to actually deserve it! Sure, in eps, uh, 3 and 5 I think he does a couple of slightly useful things, but he's still mostly useless, and main girl still gets a lot more done, but all she gets is (mostly) wrongly criticized for it. It's really stupid. I kind of like her anyway, though... it's probably one of the reasons I haven't abandoned the show for good yet.

Quasar

With no anime to watch my reading of Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance continues. Finished volume 11.

*insert vaderno.gif*

cajunator

Banned
What a bizarre series of anime to vote on. What kind of list includes:

- Aoi Hana

- Strike Witches

- Mononoke

- SAO

- Simoun

that list is pretty solid except SAO.
Simoun I didnt expect to see.

So I've been listening to the /filmcast (a film podcast) for hundreds of episodes and suddenly I stumble across a couple of episodes where one of the hosts sits down to watch an anime. It's always fascinating to hear a complete outsider give their opinion on an anime because their unique perspective meant they commented on things a seasoned viewer would take for granted.

Unfortunately, he ended up watching Elfin Lied because that's what happened to be on Netflix. Oh well. My point is that it's a shame we don't get to hear these "outsider" voices more often. Without those opinions and views conversations can end up a little 'insular'.

Interestingly, any time Ive heard casual or non anime fans talk about Elfen Lied it was positive.

Yeah, that's got to be the reason, doesn't it. He certainly hasn't done anything to actually deserve it! Sure, in eps, uh, 3 and 5 I think he does a couple of slightly useful things, but he's still mostly useless, and main girl still gets a lot more done, but all she gets is (mostly) wrongly criticized for it. It's really stupid. I kind of like her anyway, though... it's probably one of the reasons I haven't abandoned the show for good yet.

Hey now. That main security guy at the station just wants everybody to do as they're told and not be proactive in preventing crime so he can go on to a better position. ;P

cajunator

Banned
I'm convinced Jexhius is misspelling Elfen Lied on purpose now.

He has to be. He is way too consistent with it.

One day there will be a Hyouka BD set that I can buy.

That day will come
when you import the japanese version cause there wont be a US one

Our Japanese Pop Culture class is now talking about hentai. Lord help me.

Well..hentai IS japanese pop culture

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 10

Suffering x 100

Fuck man. I caught feels. It all makes sense now, especially episode 1. This is too sad :(

This is probably one of my favorite anime episodes ever. It explaines so much and singlehandedly elevated the series to one of the best.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's the general exponential growth of craziness. It's starts off as a fairly pedestrian Saturday morning show aimed at children and then devolves more and more into insane premises that you thought about when growing up. Seeing things that are impossible occur in stupendously elaborate ways is too entertaining.

I will see if it will be able to top J-Decker in its due course, now that was a damn fine anime series, and probably the most underrated one I have ever watched.

cajunator

Banned
Perfect Blue

Well that was...interesting. I really don't know what to say but... damn. Possibly the best mind screw film I've seen.

I might need to make an LTTP thread later becuase I think I might have a lot to say about this film once I've fully wrapped my head around it.

If you enjoyed that one check out Millennium Actress. Kon's best work by far.

Hnnnnnngh
this show did have its moments
its one of the most overrated shows though.

Thats...a hercules beetle!

cajunator

Banned
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 11-12 END

Damn. What a ride. Based on GAF impressions I knew it wasnt going to be a light series but it totally exceeded my expectations. Lovely music, great storyline and build up though I'm fairly confused about how it ended.

So uh...what happened in the last 18 minutes of the final episode?

Are the girls alive again? Why is Sayako the only dead one? Is Kyubey good now and working with Homura? I'm really confused.

I think it ended quite beautifully. A bit open ended but the show could only be like that. Skip the first two movies since they just rehash the series. Movie 3 takes the franchise in a very controversial direction (but an inevitable one imo)

Steins;Gate - 9

This show has excellent pacing.

At first, the time leaping changes had been relatively small (with the exception of what happened in episode 1). I love how major they've been getting and how slowly and subtlety it all happens so you don't notice right away. Like, we've gone from
changing a man's gender (still don't know if that actually happened, but still assuming that it did) to literally stopping big anime culture from entering a city all together, all being revealed right at the end of this episode.

And the preview for episode 10 is very concerning. Looks like
SERN's gonna be making its move soon.

The story does begin to kick into high gear about that time. You also might fall in love with Kurisu but thats normal.

Oh yay, SHIROBAKO is 2 cour show
IiHeQU7.jpg

2 whole cours? YESSSSSSS

Goldfish Warning! Episodes 1-46

I've been watching this for the last month or so and now I have to stop due to the fact there aren't any more episodes subbed (There's 8 episodes left as of this post) but I'll just give my impressions of it anyway.

Goldfish Warning! is the story of a girl called Chitose Fujinomiya who suddenly loses her entire fortune after the death of her father and gets kicked out of Tokai Academy (A school for rich kids), the only possession she has left is a pink goldfish called Gyopii. She's discovered by the students of the rundown Inaka Junior High where she's nursed back to health. The school has both people and farm animals amongst its students that cause tons of trouble. Anyway after finding out that her father also left her a small fortune she becomes the owner of the entire school. The rest of the series follows her trying to force her trying to make everyone into refined people like her and also to get back at Yurika Sugodaira, the Student Council President of Tokai Academy.

Goldfish Warning! was the show that the majority of the Sailor Moon staff were working on before Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon was the replacement for Goldfish Warning!'s timeslot) and it really tells just with how the characters look most of the time. If I were to put it simply, Goldfish Warning! is basically just like the more comedic episodes of Sailor Moon but with no overarching plot as the entire series is all half episode stories. Seeing as I really enjoyed the more humourous side of Sailor Moon, this series hit the spot for me. If you didn't like episodes of Sailor Moon like Episodes 20, 31, 37 or 40 this may not be the series for you (give a it a shot anyway!). It's really underwatched, possibly due to the fact that it has not been completely subbed but I think more people should try it out even if you end up like me waiting for more episodes of this to get released!

In my opinion Goldfish Warning! is even funnier than most anime comedies out nowadays. this manages to be consistantly funny for 46 episodes, while there are some anime that have aired recently with episodes that can't even make me crack a smile and they're only 12-13 episodes and you'd think that with its length, Goldfish Warning! would have lost its charm after a while.

This series comes highly recommended from me. Hopefully this post gets more people to watch it!

goldfish27bigcvjpk.png

The End...for now.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 102

Not the first show of the new season, nor even a new show, but the first "new season" of the new season that I'm watching. I've been saying for months that introducing Akari when they did made the transition to her as the main character of season 3 less abrupt, more natural, and the audience is ideally welcoming to her presence. Plus all the great side characters like Principal Orihime and Johnny are still there. There's a few new music cues, a whistle-happy opening, and a new Aikatsu phone to sell, but otherwise, things are as they have been and shall be.

Having Akari's room be wrecked early into the episode by a bad rainstorm is a quick and easy way to get her a room with a more plot important character, and I'm glad that Sakura is still going to be a major presence in this season. She never did much in S2, not as much as I would've liked. It's also seen that there's one more girl who's going to join Akari's circle, known neither in name nor brand. Sumire and her fortune telling is alright, but right now I need more time to get to know her. I'm mostly riding off the goodwill that she has by being a fan of Yurika, and everybody loves Yurika. Ichigo wasn't even "gone" for that long before making a return appearance in episode 2.

Another year of idols, and to that I say, bring it.

TUSR

Banned
Ordered Ranma 1/2 4, KLK 3, KLK 4, and Steins;Gate as a present for my brother.

Only came to ~$230.

rip wallet

This is probably one of my favorite anime episodes ever. It explaines so much and singlehandedly elevated the series to one of the best.

I think it ended quite beautifully. A bit open ended but the show could only be like that. Skip the first two movies since they just rehash the series. Movie 3 takes the franchise in a very controversial direction (but an inevitable one imo)

I agree, episode 10, and the revelation that Homura
pretty much made things even better for QB
during the beginning of episode 11 really elevated my opinion of this show. Basically revealed that
this wasn't really Madokas story, but Homuras.
Very clever stuff.

I'm a little wary of watching Rebellion now :x

That's pretty much it. I liked it quite a bit then but right now I don't remember much from it. It doesn't leave any lasting impression.

It was a solid series but it would have been better if it had a full season to flesh stuff out. IIRC the last 3-4 episodes were anime original so it was totally rushed and didnt really make sense and left a bunch of plotholes. The middle part with Yukine's fall and redemption were excellent IMO.

CorvoSol

So here is a question what makes GoGaiGar so good?

I haven't seen any other show in the Brave series, but GaoGaiGar is nice for a couple reasons. First off, though, note that it's REALLY formulaic, stock footage etc. But its also a really nice show that begins with this really innocent, happy world that it slowly tears down over the series. There's sort of a cumulative effect over the course of the show. Like hero gets a new special, new bad guys thrash him, he gets even better new attack, so that by the end the heroes are doing some really crazy fun stuff.

It's not -the best- mecha anime of all time, but its a good one if you can get past the MOTW formula for much of the show. The second half of the show through Final was some good moments.

Midonin

Denki-Gai 01

"I read a doujinshi like that once," the series. A work com with the flavoring of otaku culture in its premise. Stuff like this, the Akiba-type stuff (though not necessarily as direct about it as this) is what makes anime feel like anime, to me. Like here. There's not much "fanservice" in the sense that people would use it, but there's no denying that lewdness is part of these characters' everyday lives. They have their fetishes, their nicknames, their stock types (many of which are the type to do stock, those books ain't gonna move themselves), and I'm still feeling a pleasant hang-out kinda feeling from the show.

Getting a Comiket-story this early is kinda surprising, but the two shorts format has been proven to work before. Each story has a tighter run time to tell itself, and the comedy mostly worked, because it's about the essence of what anime can be when it works with its elements instead of trying to fight against them. I wouldn't call it new, but if this is the first thing I see in this new season, then the days ahead are looking bright.

Taketatsu's OP and the cast's ED are both pretty easy listening.

Nafe

Gundam Build Fighters ep.1-25

eaC3eiol.jpg

Super fun show! Best Commercial Ever!

The whole Gunpla and kids show information initially made it seem not really something of interest to me and I was just not going to pay it any attention. Seeing some screenshots and gifs from others though and it at least looked really good. Giving it a shot and I thought it was fun right from episode 1. Unfortunately I haven't seen much Gundam, so I didn't get most of the references. I didn't even know who Ramba Ral was,haha.

I was curious about Aila right near the beginning and was even going to make an avatar of her but at that time there was only about two artworks of her just as she looks in the opening. :(
Fortunately now though after her time in the show, there's all kinds of pictures. :)
I hope to see at least a cameo of her, but hopefully more, at least like with China where she's a bit older and in Paris.

Elia Jyrkiainen and Aila Ilmatar Juutilainen please

Zach was mentioning her to me I think as a way to get me to watch Strike Witches. I quickly looked her up and wasn't there two girls from Finland? I thought she had a sister or friend or something.

Goldfish Warning! Episodes 1-46

I've been watching this for the last month or so and now I have to stop due to the fact there aren't any more episodes subbed (There's 8 episodes left as of this post) but I'll just give my impressions of it anyway.

All right! Another person was watching this show! :)
I got a little busy so I'm actually only on episode 14 or something I think.

In my opinion Goldfish Warning! is even funnier than most anime comedies out nowadays. this manages to be consistantly funny for 46 episodes, while there are some anime that have aired recently with episodes that can't even make me crack a smile and they're only 12-13 episodes and you'd think that with its length, Goldfish Warning! would have lost its charm after a while.

This series comes highly recommended from me. Hopefully this post gets more people to watch it!

I agree as well that it's still a really funny and entertaining show. I was watching it at about an episode a day and every day it was one I was looking forward to. Would also like to mention again that it indeed is underrated and more people should really give it a try. :)

cajunator

Banned
Ordered Ranma 1/2 4, KLK 3, KLK 4, and Steins;Gate as a present for my brother.

Only came to ~$230.

rip wallet

Youve made a wise decision.

I agree, episode 10, and the revelation that Homura
pretty much made things even better for QB
during the beginning of episode 11 really elevated my opinion of this show. Basically revealed that
this wasn't really Madokas story, but Homuras.
Very clever stuff.

I'm a little wary of watching Rebellion now :x

It was a solid series but it would have been better if it had a full season to flesh stuff out. IIRC the last 3-4 episodes were anime original so it was totally rushed and didnt really make sense and left a bunch of plotholes. The middle part with Yukine's fall and redemption were excellent IMO.

I like that twist too. Madoka seems like a run pf the mill mahou shoujo but quickly sets itself apart.
you should watch the third movie with an open mind to the possibilities.

mankoto

Gundam SEED 21
How in the world did Cagalli aboard a moving ship on foot? Let alone finding the hangar and getting in the cockpit with no problems? You'd think there would be a lock on it or something...

I agree as well that it's still a really funny and entertaining show. I was watching it at about an episode a day and every day it was one I was looking forward to. Would also like to mention again that it indeed is underrated and more people should really give it a try. :)

It was your post that made me give it a shot. So thank you for that!

Finished it just in time for all the Gundam this season (and 0083 and 8th MS Team which I'm watching next).

TUSR

Banned
I checked back home and apparently a 100$ order got lost :(
What? From RightStuf or postage?

That sucks. They will probably (hopefully) replace anything for you.

I keep seeing Madoka talk in here and I keep trying to not buy figures.

$200 Homura figure or new hockey/snow shoeing equipment.

ill probably buy both options

/XX/

It was your post that made me give it a shot. So thank you for that!
Our very Mr. Reg-chan sure must be smiling right now enjoying your conversation and his legacy in here, wherever he is on that transcended plane of life beyond this community... soon to be ready for a new re-incarnation and coming, to help us at this worldly place on next January for the task of spreading again Saviour Ikuhara's teachings.

cajunator

Banned
What? From RightStuf or postage?

That sucks. They will probably (hopefully) replace anything for you.

I keep seeing Madoka talk in here and I keep trying to not buy figures.

$200 Homura figure or new hockey/snow shoeing equipment.

ill probably buy both options

Rightstuf shipped it, tracking number says ups delivered it but its nowhere to be found.

JoeFu

Banned
gifcam and hidamari sketch is going to ruin me. I just feel like gifing whatever I see lol

widefacing water!
ibhA8eh2HGHDci.gif

loop
ibpLxxkySJnLeP.gif

sorry for
wide
filesize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom