• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Fallout 4] Modding "Fallout 4". Mods and discussion within

BPoole

Man, wouldnt this game lend it self well for a zombie survival mod?

Just replace all baddies with ghouls.

Make them super powerful so when they hit you they'll often get the bite animation (and you die)

Make it so that they hardly ever die of body shots but headshots take one or two.

Have a fuck ton of those ghouls roaming around.

Have raiders function as rival survivors.

Build settlements so you are Rick Crimes in the flesh.

I would love this.

I am no modder, but I wonder how hard this would be.
I wouldn't be surprised if a mod just like that was made where you could orchestrate which enemies attack your settlements. Like you could pick you want 25 ghouls to attack (or any other type of enemies). This could already be done in a way just by using the console commands to spawn enemies.

Has anyone done a comparison between Vivid Landscapes and Commonwealth HQ Landscape Overhaul? I am rolling with Vivid Landscapes, but I am considering moving to Commonwealth after watching a video online.

Any thoughts?

All I can tell you is that I ended up removing the Commonwealth HQ landscape textures because they clashed so much with any objects or surfaces that were not retextured. Like piles of leaves, rocks, etc. IF there were any original textures next to those higher res textures then everything looked off.

I'd rather a scene look cohesive than have SOME stuff be higher res. Eventually there will be enough texture mods out there to pick and choose the best stuff for every object in the game. At least that was the case for Skyrim.

AColdDay

V1.2 Patch. Notes are now on Update History:

nJMd2qM.png

I am kind of copy-pasting this everywhere, to help people.

I posted this on Reddit, because I dealt with it during the beta patch. But here is an easy way of dealing with it, if the new patch breaks your mod support:

I'm seeing a lot of people talk about how the new patch disables mods, and a lot of people are posting to start the launcher, then go into Nexus Mod Manager re-enable the mods, then press play but there is an even easier method:

The easiest solution I've found is to install Fallout 4 Script Extender and launch that instead of the main launcher. When you use the launcher it overwrites your mod settings (I've heard even if you have it set to read-only) With the script extender you get the advantage of skipping the intro videos, and you don't have to fiddle with NMM everytime you want to launch the game.

If you are unfamiliar with Fallout 4 Script Extender, it is a product from a team that is the heart behind some of the greatest mods for Bethesda games. Each Bethesda game since Oblivion has had a script extender and allows modders to go above and beyond even the GECK to create mods. It is simple and safe to use, you download their package, install it to your Fallout 4 directory, and click f4se.exe to launch your game. It doesn't do much now, because we don't even have the basic mod tools available to us now but you can bet that if you get heavily into modding, you will be using it to play FO4 anyways.

After playing the game a metric ass-ton, as soon as a level cap mod comes out, or a very balanced damage mod, I'll be using it. With all the talk of the improved shooting mechanics (it is better), things really start to get wonky level 50+, especially in the areas (late game) where you are fighting large groups of enemies. They hardly damage you at this point, but you also barely damage them, even with maxed out weapon perks and fully upgraded weapons. My one character is over level 70 (damn idiot perk), and I can stand in front of certain same level enemies with an explosive shotgun and just shoot and shoot and shoot. Incredibly boring, and that's on very hard. No way I'd play on survival and nerf my damage even more.

Ninja sneak attacks can waste everything, but why play every character the same way?

Your problem is that you're at end game level using an outdated weapon meant for mid game,of course enemies are gonna be bullet sponges.I had 5/5 non-auto rifles/big guns after lvl40-50ish and stuff died so fast on survival difficulty with my 700 dmg gauss rifle/gatling laser (including legendary mirelurk queens/deathclaw alphas or w/e theyre called) the challenge was completely gone.I wasnt even playing a stealth character,so the damage had the potential to be way higher actually if i bothered to crouch down and had the right perks

Spinifex

Regarding the new patch and it breaking mods:

I think perhaps the easiest thing to do is open the folder where Fallout is installed (probably C:program Files (x86)Steamsteamappscommonfallout4)

1. Rename Fallout4Launcher.exe to Fallout4LauncherOriginal.exe
2. Copy and Paste Fallout4.exe
3. Rename the new Copy of Fallout4.exe to Fallout4Launcher.exe

This will simply bypass the launcher altogether when opening from Steam, etc. It's the launcher that screws up the plugins.

If you would like to change settings, graphics, etc (not like you do that often) use one of the many good INI editors.

Your problem is that you're at end game level using an outdated weapon meant for mid game,of course enemies are gonna be bullet sponges.I had 5/5 non-auto rifles/big guns after lvl40-50ish and stuff died so fast on survival difficulty with my 700 dmg gauss rifle/gatling laser (including legendary mirelurk queens/deathclaw alphas or w/e theyre called) the challenge was completely gone.I wasnt even playing a stealth character,so the damage had the potential to be way higher actually if i bothered to crouch down and had the right perks

Each weapon type should be valid, especially when a game has moddable weapons. On this character I'm using max assault rifles, combat rifles, combat shotguns, with crazy explosive mods that apply damage with each pellet, or two projectiles per shot. You're basing your opinion on this by using the most insanely powerful weapons in the game as an example. I waste most everything, but then do a mission, or hit up an area where all the sudden things have TONS of health. Like more than a full clip of explosive 5.56 in the face. I'd just rather get hurt more, and do more damage overall. Mods will come out that do that.

Vex_

Banned
Each weapon type should be valid, especially when a game has moddable weapons. On this character I'm using max assault rifles, combat rifles, combat shotguns, with crazy explosive mods that apply damage with each pellet, or two projectiles per shot. You're basing your opinion on this by using the most insanely powerful weapons in the game as an example. I waste most everything, but then do a mission, or hit up an area where all the sudden things have TONS of health. Like more than a full clip of explosive 5.56 in the face. I'd just rather get hurt more, and do more damage overall. Mods will come out that do that.

This. I think I am gonna go back to normal after trying out survival mode. It just wasn't fun. I mean, I was smashing... But I kinda had to cheat the ai because they could one shot you a lot.

So I went down to very hard. No dice. They didn't one shot me, but they seem to have an enormous amount of health. Broke my immersion when I sneaked a supermutant with a point blank shotgun to the head.

Now I'm on hard and it is hit or miss. My 6 crank (max power) laser musket one shots some baddies (even body shots) but then some weird raider survivor will tank every shot I throw at him (head shots or not) and gank me.

Not hard, just tedious.

So now I guess I go back to normal until a mod comes out that balances survival (realistic damage like NV and f3 popular mods) to make it so I do deadly damage to them, and they do deadly damage to me.

rbanke

Is the 'place in red' cheat engine table the only way to place items anywhere? I watched a video of it and it seems really clunky. The hassle with lining things up is the only thing that keeps me from really building anything.

RE4PRR

This. I think I am gonna go back to normal after trying out survival mode. It just wasn't fun. I mean, I was smashing... But I kinda had to cheat the ai because they could one shot you a lot.

So I went down to very hard. No dice. They didn't one shot me, but they seem to have an enormous amount of health. Broke my immersion when I sneaked a supermutant with a point blank shotgun to the head.

Now I'm on hard and it is hit or miss. My 6 crank (max power) laser musket one shots some baddies (even body shots) but then some weird raider survivor will tank every shot I throw at him (head shots or not) and gank me.

Not hard, just tedious.

So now I guess I go back to normal until a mod comes out that balances survival (realistic damage like NV and f3 popular mods) to make it so I do deadly damage to them, and they do deadly damage to me.

To be fair a Super Mutant should be able to take that shotgun to the face at point blank and laugh at you. They've been made weak ever since FO3 because you can encounter them so early, classic games it would take energy or big guns to hurt them.

There's already mods that fix survival. I personally use this, for 1:1 damage, not you do 1/2 and they do x2. It's been heavily expanded on since first release where it was just the above, now includes dozens of options for different damage rates for you and enemies.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/?

To be fair a Super Mutant should be able to take that shotgun to the face at point blank and laugh at you. They've been made weak ever since FO3 because you can encounter them so early, classic games it would take energy or big guns to hurt them.

There's already mods that fix survival. I personally use this, for 1:1 damage, not you do 1/2 and they do x2. It's been heavily expanded on since first release where it was just the above, now includes dozens of options for different damage rates for you and enemies.

Just the mod I was going to recommend. Works really well.

Anustart

I had high hopes for the radio mod I installed that added songs. But, it made the existing songs sound like shit and had the effect of making conversations impossible to hear as well.

Yeah, the patrolman glasses was cool at first glance then I realized that it sucks. I've been using the black-rimmed glasses since then.

Nice. I put a few hours in on survival with this, and I like it. Started with 100% and 200% damage, then bumped enemy damage to 250%. Going to take a while to find what's optimal.

Shredderi

Jesus that first one is really laughably bad. I know cries of N64 textures are hyperbole but goddamn if that isn't close.

Yass!! After playing for 50 hours and then not playing for two weeks while I've been playing other games, going back to my continue my save seems hard after a long break, so at this point I'll propably wait for enough essential mods to come out before starting from the beginning.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
After playing the game a metric ass-ton, as soon as a level cap mod comes out, or a very balanced damage mod, I'll be using it. With all the talk of the improved shooting mechanics (it is better), things really start to get wonky level 50+, especially in the areas (late game) where you are fighting large groups of enemies. They hardly damage you at this point, but you also barely damage them, even with maxed out weapon perks and fully upgraded weapons. My one character is over level 70 (damn idiot perk), and I can stand in front of certain same level enemies with an explosive shotgun and just shoot and shoot and shoot. Incredibly boring, and that's on very hard. No way I'd play on survival and nerf my damage even more.

Ninja sneak attacks can waste everything, but why play every character the same way?
There's a great mod that lets you do double damage against enemies in Survival mode. You'll die quickly, but the enemies aren't bullet sponges and are more fun to fight.

I think the new update may have messed with the mod, but it should be working soon if it isn't already.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/333/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D333%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D3384325&pUp=1

Edit: the mod mentioned above might be even better, ignore this post.

Nice. I put a few hours in on survival with this, and I like it. Started with 100% and 200% damage, then bumped enemy damage to 250%. Going to take a while to find what's optimal.

Fallout 4's A.I is just shit. Enemies basically run and shoot with insane accuracy. They never run out of ammo too. And you can't peak from cover because they will endlessly shoot the area in front of the cover where you will peak; just peak a little bit and they will shoot any visible pixel that you show.

I also noticed that the auto-peak mechanic when you are behind cover is just bad; it forces you to overexpose yourself. That peak mechanic looks like teleportation at times--it makes enemies randomly teleport behind cover.

If I recall correctly, there were engine commands to control the A.I in Crysis1. I wonder if we can mod the A.I in Fallout 4 to be a little bit less ridiculous. Making the A.I NOT bum-rush your face while running and shooting would be a great start.

Spyware

Anyone's mods not working at all with the new patch?
The launcher wipes the plugins.txt (in User/AppData/Local/Fallout4), which is where it looks for what plugins/mods to load. Bypass the launcher (by renaming the .exes or use F4SE and I'm sure there are other ways too) or set plugins.txt to read-only after installing the mods (but you'll have to redo that from time to time) and it should work.

Edit: Or just update the NMM as above, nice! I din't know they had patched it.
They should probably look at the beta patches for the NMM updates instead since we beta users have had this exact patch and "problem" for a lot longer.

Probably just to show that it works :p

Of course... we've had ReShade DOF for a while now so it's not really a big deal. And ReShade DOF looks great.

Probably just to show that it works :p

Of course... we've had ReShade DOF for a while now so it's not really a big deal. And ReShade DOF looks great.

True, but I don't think reshade compares to the quality that a game specific ENB can provide. Can't wait for ENB ambient occlusion, and volumetric clouds/fog.

Vex_

Banned

thanks for that.

I had high hopes for the radio mod I installed that added songs. But, it made the existing songs sound like shit and had the effect of making conversations impossible to hear as well.

yea I noticed that as well. I just turn it off during conversations tho, game really needs those extra radio songs, vanilla radio lacks new songs, its like what, 6 new ones or something? I normally just hear the fo3 songs.

True, but I don't think reshade compares to the quality that a game specific ENB can provide. Can't wait for ENB ambient occlusion, and volumetric clouds/fog.

No.... it doens't. ReShade is a toy compared to ENB. But the DOF implementation is good.

I'll bet that ENB AO suffers from the same problem as ReShade's.... in that you can see it through fog which looks terrible. Always had that problem in Skyrim too.

Doesn't ReShade DoF mess up the HUD when looking at the sky though? Or did they fix those kind of problems?

HUD? People use DOF for anything other than screenshots?

=P

have those ENBs finally gotten to the point where I no longer need to turn off the steam overlay? NV had you doing that and it wasn't worth it since I use the overlay to chat quite often.

Man, I still don't know how to even use a ENB.

Tried in Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New vegas.

Ive watched hella videos and each one telling me to download some files, drag em to some folders, and I do that shit step by step, and I've not once seen anything change in my game.

So I just gave up on using any ENBs.

I just want a simple mod that give me depth of field.

RE4PRR

geeze all these reshade packs look like garbage in comparison, ENB is still king.

Yeah Reshade is decent to an extent, but if there's an enb option always go for that.

Boris is now constantly adding new stuff to the beta builds, and he's even updating it compared to the older versions in terms of new techniques. Plus you get the added benefit already with it adding enboost.

I've attempted the most popular reshade just to see a difference but I get like a 7fps drop and it's too sharp, all I can see different is that it's not washed out.

I was looking forward to that True Storms mod, but it seems like the weather is overdone. At least in my game, there's a dust storm or fog so often. May have to remove it and wait to see if a version that just replaces the rain (plus t-storms) comes out, since that is very nice.

Vex_

Banned
New survival mod.

So I currently have my damage multiplier set to 1.0 (normal), and my enemies set to 2.0(survival) on my custom survival set up.

That plus the other benefits in difficulty that come with survival regularly makes this one of the best games this year for me.

Man, bullets are actually dangerous now. And boss battles... DAMN! LAWD HELP ME LAWD JESUS!

on another note, Fatmen are lethal to me and anyone else who is near the blast radius.

Feels good man

TheRed

Loving the DoF in the new EnB even while playing, not just for screenshots. Will try the new survival stuff when I start a new character.

Top Bottom