• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

legacyzero

Banned
If any UK gamers REALLY want this on Steam, you can buy the game from Amazon.com using a US billing address and if you type the code into Steam, you'll have your game.
But its not Steamworks. So really the only way to have it on Steam is to buy it on Steam or have it gifted as far as I cam tell

Edit: oh you edited lol

Launching through Steam opens up Uplay anyway :(

That is weird. I never used Uplay before. So the actual game downloads in a different client? If so, what is the point of it being on steam lol

EDIT: just downloaded uplay...what is this mess. Why do I need some weird video player just to edit my avatar...

Nizz

Unless the 360 version runs differently, I gotta tell you that the console versions run terrible. Its like the framerate doesn't even get past 25fps or something. Then you have all sorts of other visual problems like low low res depth of field, bad LOD, etc etc

PS3 version does not run at 30. That's a bald face lie. I already mentioned earlier it's mid twenties.
So Ubisoft pulled a fast one again? Seems like they did the same thing with Assassin's Creed 3, that Boston demo video of the game pre-release runs nothing like that in the retail version from what I've heard.

I guess it was the PC version being played with a PS3 controller at E3. I thought there was no native Dualshock 3 support on PC? I remember people mentioning that was why it was possibly actual PS3 footage on both occasions (AC3 and FC3).

NBtoaster

So I've seen the quote "It's like Skyrim with guns". Is this true?

It's similar to Skyrim in that there's some random events that can happen around the map, and wildlife and factions interacting with each other. I don't think the game accomodates aimless wandering well, you should have a goal and work towards that.

Eideka

Banned
So Ubisoft pulled a fast one again? Seems like they did the same thing with Assassin's Creed 3, that Boston demo video of the game pre-release runs nothing like that in the retail version from what I've heard.

I guess it was the PC version being played with a PS3 controller at E3. I thought there was no native Dualshock 3 support on PC? I remember people mentioning that was why it was possibly actual PS3 footage on both occasions (AC3 and FC3).

Wait for Digital Foundry verdict.

Native/official support no, but there are many ways to get the DS controller to work on PC. A lot of people here use it for PC gaming though the 360 is more widely used.

dan2026

360 version on the GiantBomb quick look, seems to be garbage.
Sub 30 fps and a crap ton of screen tearing.

Wish I had a better PC.

Guys like I said, it's not like the foliage is completely static, the larger plants and quite a lot of the undergrowth stuff DOES react to player movement etc. I wouldn't let it put you off buying the game anyway.
It's more than just that. Are there any good videos of night time stalking gameplay, preferably with some fire involved. Someone mentioed it earlier but I wish they kept the enemy banter about your whereabouts. Eventhough the voices were always so loud and it made it sound like they were right beside you, it was still a nice touch.

syoaran

Ok, so all the positive buzz around this has sold me on a day1 purchase. I'm in the UK and looking for a digital copy, any recommendations?

NBtoaster

It's more than just that. Are there any good videos of night time stalking gameplay, preferably with some fire involved. Someone mentioed it earlier but I wish they kept the enemy banter about your whereabouts. Eventhough the voices were always so loud and it made it sound like they were right beside you, it was still a nice touch.

Enemies still do that.

SJRB

Gold Member
Goddamnit even the sidequests and minigames are awesome.

The knife throwing guy in the village is great, he swears like no other when he misses and I win. Really makes me laugh. The minigame itself is pretty fun too. As is the sniper challenge, which is basically duck hunt.

This game man, this game.

Enco

Ok, so all the positive buzz around this has sold me on a day1 purchase. I'm in the UK and looking for a digital copy, any recommendations?
Seems like GMG is the best source.

I've decided that I'll buy this game closer to Christmas after I sort out all this work I have right now. I can't wait.

edit: anyone know when or where I will be able to buy the soundtrack?

edit 2: released on iTunes on the 4th of December. £8.99. Pretty ridiculous pricing.

all the negativity surrounding the console versions have me rethinking whether to pick it up now.

360 is my only option sadly. =/

is the IQ and performance a detriment to the experience?

Divius

I hate it when you get captured in a cutscene.

Still enjoying it. Having lots of fun. Hunting animals, hunting pirates, exploring, hanggliding etc.

The bow is so cool to use.

edit: alright I've played enough for today. TOMORROW I'M HUNTING DINGO'S

Deband

Anyone know how you enter a key on Uplay? This thing has been a nightmare from the moment I bought it. Downloading this and installing that :(

Nizz

Wait for Digital Foundry verdict.
I wonder if it'll go up soon, since Europe got the game first anyway?

all the negativity surrounding the console versions have me rethinking whether to pick it up now.

360 is my only option sadly. =/

is the IQ and performance a detriment to the experience?
PS3's my only option but people have been praising the game so much I feel like it'll be worth it anyway. I had a good time with Far Cry 2, I thought that ran well. If FC3 is the same I'd be fine with it. :)

Same here.

I'm curious if Ubi will do to FC3 what they did with the first FC; release it on the nextgen systems also only more optimized.

PS3's my only option but people have been praising the game so much I feel like it'll be worth it anyway. I had a good time with Far Cry 2, I thought that ran well. If FC3 is the same I'd be fine with it. :)

Same here. I love this IP and IQ and performance be damned, I'll probably get it regardless. 0.o

Pimpbaa

I'm curious if Ubi will do to FC3 what they did with the first FC; release it on the nextgen systems also only more optimized.

Far Cry 1 on consoles was the real Far Cry 1. It was a drastically changed linear spinoff compared to the open world pc version.

Id say the crafting is more "inventory space upgrades" rather than actual crafting like what Skyrim has.

Besides the medical pointy sticks.

I thought you could craft ammo types as well?

Far Cry 1 on consoles was the real Far Cry 1. It was a drastically changed linear spinoff compared to the open world pc version.

No what i was saying is ubi released it on the og xbox and then again on the 360 only more optimized and slightly altered gameplay IIRC. I was postulating whether they do the same with FC3

I hate the sound design in this game - did they even have someone in charge of mixing? The shit obtrusive UI is further amplified by horrible low-bit sound effects - every time you load up the map screen you get a swooosh and a crackle, every time you mouse over a location, every menu change, every submenu, every selection... Worst part is there are absolutely no volume controls for this shit, and it's mixed obnoxiously loud.

Same goes for the music - I had to switch it off just outside the tutorial as it drowned out the ambience of the game almost completely.

Enco

I hate the sound design in this game - did they even have someone in charge of mixing? The shit obtrusive UI is further amplified by horrible low-bit sound effects - every time you load up the map screen you get a swooosh and a crackle, every time you mouse over a location, every menu change, every submenu, every selection... Worst part is there are absolutely no volume controls for this shit, and it's mixed obnoxiously loud.

Same goes for the music - I had to switch it off just outside the tutorial as it drowned out the ambience of the game almost completely.
Low bit rate audio is unacceptable. Is this on the PC version? I've only heard about it on the 360 version.

The car horn in Sleeping Dogs had an awful quality and it made me cringe every time I heard it. I'm not a big audiophile but damn clean audio is important.

the audio has always ben laughably bad in the FC games since ubi took over the IP. in FC2 it felt like they had 20minutes of studio time to record 5 hrs of dialogue. All the NPC's spoke ridiculously fast in that game.

KaiserBecks

After a couple of hours of playing, I am slightly disappointed. The shootouts are a lot of fun. I like how enemies behave and the cover system works surprisingly well. But I expected a lot more in terms of graphics and physics, especially considering the system requirements. I think the cry engine still beats dunia. Far Cry 3 has its moments and so far is very likely to end up being better than Crysis, but I hope that people mod the crap out of that game. It does support mods, doesn't it?

Ledsen

There are EIGHTEEN towers? God damned. I gasped when I saw "4/18" after climbing the latest one. Holy shit. I was thinking 7-8 based on how big I assumed the map to be... guess I was wrong!

Top Bottom