• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

857310_10200253105466803_132763438_o.jpg

Glacier and Meng just bein bros at a buffet

Pavaloo

The Rock's promo's maybe lacking these days, but I find he puts a charisma and energy in his performance that a lot of the roster can't do let alone come close to. That's why errbody gravitates towards him

Toki767

By the time WrestleMania 29 rolls around, Rock will have been back for 3 WrestleManias and the only person to have pinned the man will be Cena. What might be worse is that it's really not going to change anything. People aren't going to magically start cheering Cena. The ones who hate him have already made up their minds. I'm not even saying Punk should beat Rock cause he doesn't really need it that much either.

Just feels like the whole time Rock has been back, it's been a wasted opportunity. The only part of Rock I enjoyed since he came back besides the Punk program were his single segments with Bryan and Cody/Sandow. He should have spent a little more time on the mic with guys like those.

Lunchbox

Banned
Rocks time is more valuable than midcarders

he's here to promote a movie and sell merch, then start filming on fast and the furious 8

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
All Vince seems interested in these days is bouncing from one WM to the next.

If he can pull of a decent buy-rate he figures he can fend off the shareholders for the rest of the year.

Nebula

I'm looking forward to seeing Elimination Chamber. Another questionnaire, another fun weekend at my friends. I've purposefully buggered my sleeping pattern so I am fully alert, and not prone to nodding off during the PPV. MY BODY IS READY!

My sleeping pattern has been buggered since Royal Rumble, and after I spent the month fixing it somewhat...oh well, at least EC is an easy watch.

HEY WRASSLEGAFFUUERS Wheat haopend to the sandman?!? :(O((((((((9999

I missed the return of Drunktropia.

But Sandman got screwed.

Striker

So Dolph Ziggler v. Rock at WM next year?

Nice.
That is what it should be. Either Rock vs. Ziggler, or Rock vs. Cesaro, Bryan or Lesnar. I don't care if he were to face Punk or Cena again. Need something new.

But The Rock is so boring and his whole "I'm back guys, seriously!" talk is annoying. When The Rock shows up, I just wonder if it's a layover until the next flight to whatever movie of the month he's promoting is ready. I literally have zero care for ANYTHING The rock does because it's telegraphed so poorly. We've sat for one year on the FACT that he was winning the title and fighting John Cena at Wrestlemania. That shit sucks.
whatamark.jpg

Imagine where this whole show would be without him. It would be under Cena vs. Punk for the umpteenth time creating more eye-rolling results yet again. Or it could be the ever-so endearing matchup of Punk vs. Ryback, the wonders of that would be, yet again. This, at least, puts Rock in there to face off against both Cena and Punk (I'm assuming) and it allows for them finally end the charade and just get Cena his win. At least for the Punk fans in here, it won't give Cena the opportunity of beating Punk in a one on one match which is something, at the time being, Punk has something over him.

That is what it should be. Either Rock vs. Ziggler, or Rock vs. Cesaro, Bryan or Lesnar. I don't care if he were to face Punk or Cena again. Need something new.

whatamark.jpg

Imagine where this whole show would be without him. It would be under Cena vs. Punk for the umpteenth time creating more eye-rolling results yet again. Or it could be the ever-so endearing matchup of Punk vs. Ryback, the wonders of that would be, yet again. This, at least, puts Rock in there to face off against both Cena and Punk (I'm assuming) and it allows for them finally end the charade and just get Cena his win. At least for the Punk fans in here, it won't give Cena the opportunity of beating Punk in a one on one match which is something, at the time being, Punk has something over him.

I'm cool with Rock being around, but as champion it just seems like such a transparent publicity stunt, so Rock can take the belt on all the talk shows with him. It devalues the belt, and I thought Punk did a nice job of building it up over the past year (even though WWE didn't help by putting Cena in every main event at PPVs). I would say the Rock's desire for the belt helps elevate it too, except that he just wants it to promote movies and WWE just wants it on him to promote WM while he's promoting movies.

Striker

He's got it to promote the company and give it some prestige. Also it's on a big star, Vince loves that. The title use to go to your moneymakers - that times come and left because they've lost all their big stars. The titles have been junk for so long, it doesn't matter if Cena, Punk, Bryan, or Sheamus has it, it won't have a higher honor until the show itself becomes better and the talent pool isn't filled with mostly jobbers (all on the dirty hands of awful booking, tada). It would be nice if they unified both the WWE/World titles, and the US/IC and be done with it. It's been said a million times but it's necessary especially now.

Ithil

Any good the Rock does now in attracting people back or to the product would be undone by a big win for that up and coming superstar John Cena at WM. No one who tuned in because the Rock was there wants to see that, and none will return the next night.

DKehoe

Do people find it that hard to believe that The Rock just loves wrestling? Why does it have to be some cynical ploy on his part?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Do people find it that hard to believe that The Rock just loves wrestling? Why does it have to be some cynical ploy on his part?

Well he doesn't really come back to wrestle or put any guys over, does he?

Doesn't sound like someone who is back because they love This Business™

I need your help Wrassle GAF. I woke up this morning and decided I wanted some wrestling art. Here are some things I've found. Help me choose one of these bad boys.

The poster features 1023 cube characters representing wrestlers who competed in the then WWWF through the then WWF between the dates of April 29, 1963 and December 9, 2001.

The significance of those dates is that Buddy Rogers (#1 on the poster) became the inaugural champion on April 29, 193 and Chris Jericho became the first ever Undisputed World Champion – unifying the WWF and WCW titles – on December 9, 2001. The other 1021 characters all fall between those dates.

il_570xN.386064022_4rid.jpg

il_570xN.386063573_8m4o.jpg

Title Reigns of all WWF Heavyweight Champions from 1983-2002, the golden age of pro-wrestling history. The statistics visualized include each champion’s reign length and number of reigns. Title changes are also documented by event, win method and weight class.

il_fullxfull.336008626.jpg

This 16x20 poster is a celebration of one of my favorite Saturday afternoon pastimes. I have fond memories of them coming on after the cartoons and all of these crazy old school characters.

They include some of my favorites, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, HonkyTonk Man, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Jake the Snake, Ted DiBiase...and many many more. Which one was your favorite? Each poster will also come with a character legend, so you can follow along.

il_fullxfull.406721064_mbfo.jpg

Print of original pen & gouache illustration, "Art Thou Bored", in honor of the late Macho Man Randy Savage

Signed edition
Printed on 11 x 17 Poster card stock paper

il_fullxfull.246389391.jpg

"Gigantic", a portrait of the legendary Andre the Giant, is a signed and dated reproduction of original mixed media artwork by Jeff Mitchell on a heavyweight satin paper.

il_fullxfull.351695767.jpg

Four of wrestling's greatest titans: Andre the Giant, Macho Man Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan, and the Ultimate Warrior join together in this tribute to brotherhood.

Each piece is printed on the beautiful Hahnemuhle Bamboo warm-tone paper. We chose this paper because it is certified archival and is made of 90% bamboo, a naturally renewable material. On top of that, it is gorgeous paper and it really makes the prints come to life.

il_fullxfull.405946419_n91z.jpg

DKehoe

Well he doesn't really come back to wrestle or put any guys over, does he?

Doesn't sound like someone who is back because they love This Business™

All of his appearences have been building to him losing to Cena this year at Wrestlemania. The Rock never gave a shit about losing to anyone and would be fine with putting anyone over, why would he start caring now?

If he loves wrestling then why isn't he....wrestling?

lol

Because him wrestling every week is going to devalue his appearences. The Rock wrestling is a big attraction for PPV buys. If he is wrestling matches on every Raw then people are less likely to pay to see him wrestle when they have already seen it for free. It's what makes the most sense.

Kyoufu

I guess that's just a matter of opinion then, I enjoyed it.

Awful match tbh.

Where are the days when two top wrestlers traded finishers, blows etc.

Don't recall Punk using a Rock Bottom on Dwayne.

Then the crap Shield interference and then the even crappier People's Elbow finish.

What a disappointment.

strobogo

Banned
WWE right now isn't very interesting, but I'm genuinely excited for the next 2-3 years with Claudio, Dragon, Punk, Hero, PAC, Generico, Dean Ambrosia, Tyler Black, etc running shit.

Did you not hear the crack addict story? What was the point? People don't like him because a lot of his work is either filler or uninspired--but people cheer anyway because it's the Rock. Sure it's good for business, but you know who else is good for business? Cena. Same thing, different face. Just because you can sell PPVs and t-shirts doesn't mean you should be able to coast on a subpar performance and charismatic inertia. The best that can be said about the Rock is that he isn't trying to fill his entire appearance list with cookie cutter promos and no thought. He can still tap into that compelling character every so often, capture lightning in a bottle. Sadly, it usually takes Punk acting as foil to get him there. On his own in front of the camera, we get Twinkie tits and crack addicts.

...come to think of it, how is this creating a broader appeal for the WWE?

Yeah his promo this week was bad. But his promo on Smackdown was good. I'm not saying he's 100% pure hits at the minute, but you're greatly devaluing just how much better he is than pretty much anybody else at making people think what is happening is important.

Yeah his promo this week was bad. But his promo on Smackdown was good. I'm not saying he's 100% pure hits at the minute, but you're greatly devaluing just how much better he is than pretty much anybody else at making people think what is happening is important.

Chris Jericho just cut awesome promos on both Del Rio and Big Show this week while also putting both guys over and making the EC match sound like the most important thing going at the moment. He had me almost wanting a Big Show/ Jericho feud for the title at WM. And that's impressive, because I haven't given a shit about the Big Show since... probably since he was tag teaming with Jericho.

I'm not saying Rock doesn't make things sound important, and he has done a good job of talking Punk up and letting him get in some offense, but it all falls flat to me. You can't have a champion who isn't even at half the Raws between RR and WM. I'm not saying he has to wrestle every Monday, but show up! If you're the champ you should be on every Raw, there's no excuse.

Penguin

Chris Jericho just cut awesome promos on both Del Rio and Big Show this week while also putting both guys over and making the EC match sound like the most important thing going at the moment. He had me almost wanting a Big Show/ Jericho feud for the title at WM. And that's impressive, because I haven't given a shit about the Big Show since... probably since he was tag teaming with Jericho.

I'm not saying Rock doesn't make things sound important, and he has done a good job of talking Punk up and letting him get in some offense, but it all falls flat to me. You can't have a champion who isn't even at half the Raws between RR and WM. I'm not saying he has to wrestle every Monday, but show up! If you're the champ you should be on every Raw, there's no excuse.

I thought I was the only one... the way he was talking

I'm just thinking... they wouldn't really do a Show/Jericho match at Mania... but the way he says it.. so much built in history... haha

gurudyne

I have no doubt he can do that--when he's on, he's good. My main complaint is that with Twinkie tits and crack addict, he's both coasting on past popularity because there's no other way I can explain why that was on the go-home RAW for EC and when he coasts like that, it devalues the show itself. Sure, it might be entertaining, but it's also embarrassing. In the "I hope no one is watching me watch this" kind of way. If the point of the Rock is to draw in new fans, throwing out PG is probably a good start, but when he replaces blood and pissed off swearing from people who have in-story reasons to be pissed off with guitar-playing 'look at the swears I'm so cool' and anecdotes about crack addicts, who among these new fans is going to stick around? It's reaffirming some of the annoying preconceptions people have about the WWE.

And again, we have him for a limited amount of time. About half of his appearances have included nonsensical promos that have nothing to do with anything until the brawl happens in the overrun. It's not just a waste of time, it's a waste of an asset the WWE could be using to sell PPVs by building up gravitas and having him engage with the opponent instead of circle jerking the audience.

Striker

Put it this way, you can only do so many of promo tugs with some run in by the heel/face and expect it not to become so stale quickly. If these guys were wrestling every week (making the feud look engaging, writing sparking some memorable moments; to note, I don't think these have been that much), I'll buy into it. Fact is, no matter what happens it's not going to (neither does with Taker), and I doubt it would with Austin, either. Only person that somewhat resembles this feeling is Lesnar, but I'd say part of that is perhaps from him being a heel or silent type.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Thunder 11/15/2000

The only confirmed match for the card is Sting vs Steiner for a shot at the WCW Championship.

vlcsnap-2013-02-16-05h50m14s121_zpsf4c0db17.png

TO THE BACK
Steiner arrives in a bad mood.

Big Vito vs Reno

Stevie Ray is like both Briscoe Brothers mixed together and dipped in chocolate. Booker T is like 8 Biscoe Brothers mixed together, dipped in chocolate, and trying to speak in a foreign language. They are the blackest dudes ever in wrestling and I love it. Stevie wasn't as batshit crazy and unintelligible as Booker was on commentary, but he also wasn't as annoying nearly as often. But they were both genuinely into what they were calling, which is nice. This match was really short. The NBT distracted the ref and Reno hit the Roll of the Dice for the win. Reno calls out Crowbar for Mayhem.

TO THE CEO'S OFFICE.
Flair expects Sanders to defend or relinquish his title, Crowbar vs Bam Bam for the highly prestigious WCW Hardcore Championship tonight, and Lance vs Hugh will still happen for the last time at Mayhem.

vlcsnap-2013-02-16-10h07m59s149_zpsd8dbc501.png

TO THE BACK. Gene is with Team Canada. Lance challenges Booker for the title tonight. Gene says Gunns is a self serving bitch.

Bam Bam Big Yellow vs Crowbar WCW Hardcore Championship

Bam Bamm pulls 3 tables out to start the match. Bammer goes through the first table, then body slams Crowbar on a trashcan. Crowbar tried to slam Bam Bam. Didn't work. Bam Bam was in awful shape for this run. He was in pretty bad shape before the fire thing, but he looks like he hadn't had a single work out in 6 months while he was out. GROSS chair shot that was mostly on the back of Crowbar's head. Yikes. Bam Bam puts Crowbar under a table and was going to splash it, but Mike Awesome came out and shoved Bam Bam off the ropes through the table. Um, what if Crowbar hadn't have rolled out of the way? I don't think Mike was really helping his buddy at all. All he did was just have Bam Bam do the move he was planning on doing earlier. Maybe if he had grabbed Bam Bam's foot or crotched him instead of just shoving him onto the table that Crowbar was under, it would have made more sense. Crowbar retains.

vlcsnap-2013-02-16-10h21m11s98_zpsa867ecbd.png

TO THE BACK. Gene asks Booker about hitting Sting on Nitro and his title defense tonight. Everyone is getting to Booker. He's stick of not getting respeck.

TO THE BACK. Bam Bam attacks Awesome and Crowbar in the back. MIA meeting. They are sad. Chavo suggests they should split up after Mayhem. They argue until the General sets them straight. Stay the course, bitches.

Kwee Wee vs Rey Jr vs Kidman vs Lt. Loco vs Cpl. Cajun vs Prime Time 6 Person 4 Corners Match

Yes. 6 person 4 corners match. Stevie doesn't understand how that works. Tony explains it. I still don't get it. Is this like a tag match where Kwee Wee and Elix don't have partners? Tony says there are 3 YAKS at ringside and Stevie pops huge for it. The YAKS get into it, Wall comes out and tries to grab Gunns. Security sends all 3 YAKS and Wall to the back. We're YAKless. The first 2-3 minutes of the match were spent with the cameras not in the ring at all. Lash and Chavo are DQ'd for pushing the ref while double teaming Elix. Now it is actually a 4 corners match. Kwee Wee eliminates Kidman. He also eliminates Rey after Elix hits a springboard spin wheel kick. Meng distracts Elix and Kwee Wee is the number one contender for the cruiserweight championship.

vlcsnap-2013-02-16-10h37m15s45_zpsc46c2342.png

TO THE BACK. Gene talks with the Boogie Knights. They have a tag match with Konnan. Konnan will have to find a partner. Gene then talks to Sanders. Mike talks about being a vet and how things aren't the same as when he broke in. He also calls Paisley an ape that belongs in a cage. Um. Flair shows up and books Sanders in a title match tonight.

TO THE INTERVIEW. Tenay talked with Buff Bagwell. Buff is frustrated with how the company is going and how he feels he isn't getting what he deserves after 9 years in the company. He just wants a chance. He challenges Jeff Jarrett to a match at Mayhem.

TO THE BACK. Sanders is on the phone with Buff. He's going to do Jeff a solid and make Buff's life terrible. I think Judy beat you to it, Mike.

Lance Storm vs Booker T WCW Championship

I really don't understand why WCW Championship matches don't main event anything. What the hell. This is probably the 6th show in 2 months where a number one contender match was the main event over the title match. I mean, the champion can't even main event Thunder? Some asshole with an air horn won't let the fuck up. Fans popped huge for the Maple Leaf, but even bigger for Booker getting to the ropes. Booker completely no sells the knee work after the hold. Missile drop kick to Lance who was holding a chair. Lance then hit a DDT on the chair. Lance gets caught in a Book End. Booker retains. Gunns slaps him after the match. The rest of Team Canada come out and get taken out by Booker. Gunns then hits Booker with the Canadian flag. Book gives her a Book End and the crowd loses their shit. It's been so long since I've seen a crowd popping for a man hitting a woman that I forgot how weird it is. Stevie cackling his ass off, Tony and Mike being positive about it, and the crowd cheering.

vlcsnap-2013-02-16-10h57m31s170_zpseeee27aa.png

TO THE BACK. Boogie Knights I think are about to pay off Kronik again.

Mike Sanders vs Kevin Nash

Ric comes out and says he'll make this match a non-title match, because his opponent missed the weight limit by a bout 100 pounds. It's Kevin Nash! OMG! Total squash match. Flair had security hold the Thrillers in the back. They made it out anyway and Nash fought them off for awhile.

TO THE BACK.
Trainer checks on Nash.

Boogie Knights vs Konnan/The Cat

Jimmy Hart vs Mancow Twice in a Life Time is signed for Mayhem. I don't want to see Konnan or Cat wrestling. Ever. A ref bump brings Kronik out. They give Konnan High Times. Charles Robinson couldn't hear Kronik's music or see their laser light show? Boogie Knights win.

TO THE BACK. Lex is reading Goldberg's book when Gene walks up.

Buff Bagwell vs Goldberg

This is what happens when you bitch about how you're booked. Buff actually got offense when he hit his double arm DDT, but Goldberg no sold it, speared him, then hit the jackhammer for the win. Goldberg sure made some funny faces.

Sting vs Scott Steiner

I've seen this too many times this year. Not interested anymore. Sting wins with a death drop out of nowhere and looks pissed at the finish. Sting will get a title shot after Mayhem. Midajah won't let him leave the ring. Steiner then attacks him with the pipe. They put Sting in a straight jacket and Steiner just murders Sting with a pipe. Like 10 pipe shots at least. You know, for this giant scary bad mother fucker, Steiners loses all the time and always needs to cheat to win.

vlcsnap-2013-02-16-11h33m12s80_zpsc5c760b3.png

Stevie Ray is like both Briscoe Brothers mixed together and dipped in chocolate. Booker T is like 8 Biscoe Brothers mixed together, dipped in chocolate, and trying to speak in a foreign language. They are the blackest dudes ever in wrestling and I love it.
Stevie wasn't as batshit crazy and unintelligible as Booker was on commentary, but he also wasn't as annoying nearly as often. But they were both genuinely into what they were calling, which is nice. This match was really short. The NBT distracted the ref and Reno hit the Roll of the Dice for the win. Reno calls out Crowbar for Mayhem.

I didn't know Vince McMahon posted here!

zychi

Banned

Have you seen Snitched yet? Planning on seeing the next Fast and Furious movie? How about that body building movie with Mark Wahlberg?Coincidence that they are all coming out when the Rock is appearing on WWE tv?

Don't forget he's been gone almost a year and won the WWE title with no reason to actually be in the match since he didn't win MITB, or the RR. Now he's headlining Wrestle mania(again) as champion, and getting paid more money for random appearances then guys who work their ass off every day.

Or maybe the Rock just loves to Wrestle?

Meanwhile Ziggler has been walking around with the MITB case and hasn't done anything with it, Punk got stuck with a Ryback and Tensai feud because Cena got injured/busy with the Rock.

But the Rock just loves to wrestle?

edit: you look at a guy like Flair or Jericho, who have come back numerous times to promote shit, either a book, show or concert. I know neither are as big as the Rock, but at least both are willing to put young talent over. The closest we've come to that is the Shield hurting Rock at the end of Raw.

Cagey

Banned
Coincidence being that The Rock's full time job is making movies, WWE is a hobby, and he comes back during film breaks...

W1YgxyV.gif

strobogo

Banned
I think it is fair to by cynical when Rock spent most of the past 10 years distancing himself as far away from pro wrestling as he possibly could and tells the wrestling fans that wrestling is his full time job when he's obviously a movie star first.

Now he's finally doing a bunch of action movies and comes back to wrestling to promote them.

Have you seen Snitched yet? Planning on seeing the next Fast and Furious movie? How about that body building movie with Mark Wahlberg?Coincidence that they are all coming out when the Rock is appearing on WWE tv?

Don't forget he's been gone almost a year and won the WWE title with no reason to actually be in the match since he didn't win MITB, or the RR. Now he's headlining Wrestle mania(again) as champion, and getting paid more money for random appearances then guys who work their ass off every day.

Meanwhile Ziggler has been walking around with the MITB case and hasn't done anything with it, Punk got stuck with a Ryback and Tensai feud because Cena got injured/busy with the Rock.

edit: you look at a guy like Flair or Jericho, who have come back numerous times to promote shit, either a book, show or concert. I know neither are as big as the Rock, but at least both are willing to put young talent over. The closest we've come to that is the Shield hurting Rock at the end of Raw.

iod5spkZCDI0z.gif

strobogo

Banned
Unrelated to The Rock, but I'm excited to watch the Best of Nitro Volume 2 without doing write ups and what not for the matches. Just watching wrasslin for wrasslin sake. I may do screen grabs and gifs, though.

If you seriously think that he's only in a ton of movies because of his WWE return or even that they've been timed to coincide with his WWE run, you're an idiot. 3.5 to 4 million people watch Raw each week. That's nothing, especially for a Michael Bay film and Fast and Furious sequel. And it completely overlooks the fact that Rock's movies were already really successful before his return and yes, that includes the Tooth Fairy.

As for his WWE title win, shocking fucking news: The Rock isn't the one booking these shows. If the WWE wanted to make new stars (or even knew how), they would and Rock has nothing to do with that decision.

strobogo

Banned
Oh shit, I forgot how shitty the early Nitro announce crew was. Eric, Mongo, and Brain? Yikes. Eric and Mongo are worse than I remembered and Brain had no one to play off of. Why wasn't Tony the head announcer from the get go on Nitro? He was only the lead announcer for like a decade up to that point for the company, why wouldn't he be the lead on their new TV show?

tj hazuki

I haven't watched TNA since Hardy won the belt from Aries, and before when Aries won the belt, I didnt watch since Main Event Mafia was formed. Gonna watch this week episode since I heard some good things. Lets see.

EDIT: God Wembley Arena makes TNA so much better

Yeah, I'm definitely pulling for Kong to win the Grand Championship. Battle to see who has the better spinning backfist!
It's Kong

Also, Michael Elgin continues to find ways to impress me with his freaky strength, goddamn;

ije2u75vRhX7z.gif
icKw4fUtuNRAC.gif

ilAuELjZIAoMz.gif
iYqgqmDlNKMlw.gif

Top Bottom