• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Quote for new page, great documentary - I don't think I've seen this one before, love Kendo Nagasaki still living the gimmick. What a nut.

Yeah that was amazing!

I only ever caught the backend of British Wrestling when it was on World of Sport, and Pat Sharp (!?) used to host a show that would have WCW highlights too. I had no idea it seemed to be pretty... good?

Ithil

http://t.co/xlssDCVjWK

Looks like Swagger is safe. But this promo is half in-character and half not, making it really confusing.

I think it's to sort of mock the folks taking it so seriously. They want the angle to get attention, but you've got stuff like a Latino organisation slamming them for "engaging in racism on live TV" or something, despite it being a TV show with a villain duo that are racist. When WWE thinks you need to take a step back and not take it so seriously, you are definitely taking it too seriously.

WWE want a hot angle that gets nice media attention, they don't want it to be too negative. Their handling is pretty good so far.

Leva Bates came out for her Last Woman Standing Match against Kimberly dressed as The Scarecrow;

iAn5RVluIctdI.png

I only ever caught the backend of British Wrestling when it was on World of Sport, and Pat Sharp (!?) used to host a show that would have WCW highlights too. I had no idea it seemed to be pretty... good?

Yeah, same here - I didn't really appreciate it at the time, but my earliest memories of wrestling are the World of Sport shows, and I remember that Pat Sharp show too! They used to show Hulk Hogan's Rock & Roll Wrestling after WCW :)

It's only been the past few years that I've gone back and watched a lot of British wrestling from that era, and it makes me sad I wasn't old enough to appreciate it while it was still around.

strobogo

Banned
Kanyon and Eddie look so dead inside in their mugshots. Also, Sunflower sent me a bunch of WCW stuff from the Observer. The next few weeks of shows sound like an absolutely glorious mess of incompetence.

Fun show from SHINE, the main event wasn't great, but did what it needed to do - Rain, leader of new faction Valkyrie, defeated Amazing Kong after interference from her team mates, using the Eddie Guerrero chair spot to get Kong DQ'd. Meanwhile, April Hunter & Made in Sin of Allysin Kay & Taylor Made scored a second win for Valkyrie in a great 6-woman tag match against Tracey Taylor, Su Yung & Mia Yim. Mia was the stand-out here, hitting an awesome lionsault that had the crowd jumping out of their seats. Ivelisse (who was Sofia Cortez in FCW/Tough Enough) made it a clean sweep for Valkyrie in the match of the night as she defeated LuFisto. Really great stuff, and maybe one of SHINE's best matches so far. Elsewhere, Mercedes Martinez fell victim to the Barbie Crusher in a tough fought match against Nikki Roxx, and Jessie Belle from OVW made her SHINE debut against Santana in a real fun match, coming up short as Santana scored with the Shining Star Press.

Looking forward to SHINE 8, which will take place on Saturday, March 23rd at 7:30 EST, featuring a huge grudge match as Reby Sky puts her SHINE career on the line against Jessicka Havoc.

Ozone

I think it's to sort of mock the folks taking it so seriously. They want the angle to get attention, but you've got stuff like a Latino organisation slamming them for "engaging in racism on live TV" or something, despite it being a TV show with a villain duo that are racist. When WWE thinks you need to take a step back and not take it so seriously, you are definitely taking it too seriously.

WWE want a hot angle that gets nice media attention, they don't want it to be too negative. Their handling is pretty good so far.
I just hope this doesn't carry over to the TV shows at all. I liked this video, but if the start breaking kayfabe about it during the shows it'd take away some of the magic that makes this angle so interesting.

Entropia

No One Remembers
There's another version of the Glenn Beck invite that throws kayfabe out the window completely. Not sure if it was linked in the thread besides the other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u9_RcD6WMmM#!

Pretty interesting that they would do this...

EDIT: YO WTF THEY DO THAT IN FRONT OF A GREEN SCREEN?!

lol at the start of the video, I swear Jack Swagger is stopping himself from smiling as he says "And I am Jack Swagger"

I bet these political commentators (Beck, etc.) are gonna be like "omg wrestling is fake!!!!" now as if it's some sort of big revelation.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2000.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 12/4/2000

TO THE BACK. NBT wait for their cue and walk around in the back. They run into Ed Ferrara, who is again dressed as Oklahoma. Sanders wrote a promo for him to say. Ed is worried about protection.

Oklahoma comes to the ring with a punch bowl. They're in Nebraska. This is the most heel heat WCW has had in ages. The punch bowl is the closest Nebraska is going to get to a bowl this year.

vlcsnap-2013-02-22-16h12m12s78_zps7be0c65e.png

Burn. The statement he is making tonight is about SID. Mike Sanders has decreed if Sid steps out of line, security, police, and the National Guard will be all over him. This brings Sid out. Chokeslam! Sanders sends out police. Sid has been arrested.

TO THE BACK. Sid is taken out and put in a car. Steiner and Midajah arrive. Scott wants Sid tonight. Sanders says that Flair had Sid arrested. NO BODY IS SAFEEEE. Paula is with the Animals. Konnan challenges Jeff and the Harris Bros to a Filthy Animal Streetfight for Starrcade.

Recap of Torrie getting hurt and Chavo walking away from the MIA. According to the Observer (thanks to Meltzer and Sunflower), this angle was used as a way to write Torrie out of the show. Apparently, WCW wanted to cut her salary from $250K to $60K and she wasn't really into that. Her contract was ending in early December and they couldn't come to an agreement. Unrelated, that's about what Vampiro got paid and ICP paid him double to be their bass player while he was hurt.

Chavo Guerrero Jr vs Kwee Wee

No more Lt. Loco. Chavo attacks wile Kwee Wee is kissing Paisley. Chavo dominates and then gets a chair. Paisley took it and Kwee Wee hit a spring board sunset flip for a two count. I wish #hardbodiedref would make a decision on his hair. Some weeks it is white, some weeks it is bleach blond, and this week it is jet black. Brainbustah gets Chavo the win.

TO THE BACK. Sanders tells Flair about Steiner being mad about Sid. Flair is going to get Sid out of jail and wants Sanders to beef up security. Wrath is on the phone making a deal. Gene is with MIA. Hugh gets a shot at Steiner tonight. What happened to Torrie was an accident.

Team Canada come to the ring. Lance's rib injury was legitimate. Duggan keeps walking in front of him while he's talking. Cat comes out. He and Lance will be on color.

Elix Skipper vs Crowbar WCW Hardcore Championship

Daffney is back with Crowbar. Crowbar had a bunch of car parts hidden on the ring. Steering wheel and a grill to the gut from Prime Time. YAK FIGHT! Cat starts choking Madden, which makes Lance attack Cat. Duggan accidentally hits Lance with the 2x4. Crowbar hits a gourdbuster on the car grill for the win.

THE FOLLOWING IS STUPID BULLSHIT FROM JIMMY HART. STILL doing this DJ bullshit. I don't understand. This is such a stupid waste of time.

TO THE BACK.
Stacy and David are talking. David wants to know why she checked on him. Ric walks up and tells them to watch out for Steiner.

vlcsnap-2013-02-22-16h37m10s204_zps6adf4ad3.png

He has security take them out. Marie and Reno talk. Marie is hot. Apparently the family turned on Reno when he went to prison.

vlcsnap-2013-02-22-16h37m45s46_zpsba91e142.png

Lex Luger comes to the ring with Goldberg's book. Lex asks for Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker to stand up. Sarge has been a trainer at the Power Plant for a few years when not jobbing on Worldwide. He reads some sarcastic passages about Sarge. Lex finds it odd that Sarge works 15 hours a day and lives in a shack with his family while Goldberg has multiple house and cars. Sarge looks like a midget Brock Lesnar.

vlcsnap-2013-02-22-16h41m30s245_zpsfe41c91f.png

TO THE BACK
. Goldberg arrives. Norman talks with a Nitro girl about facing Goldberg. Steiner shows up and attacks him with the pipe. Paula is with Shane Douglas. He's going to put Hugh in the hospital right next to Torrie. Wall and Hugh talk while Lash and Chavo talk in the background. Chavo is trying to turn Lash. Flair talks to Arn and Finlay at Gorilla about keeping Steiner away from people.

2 Count vs The Insiders

A triple ladder match between the 3 Count/Dragons fall out for the number one contender to the Cruiserweight Championship. How does that work? DDP has a weird new remixed theme. Why would you ever change that theme? Madden took a lot of shots at DDP being old and busted. Big "we want Hall" chants. "I'm the heel announcer. That's what I DO."

o5ts_zps55691ec9.gif

The Perfect Event were watching this in the back. 2 Count only get offense on DDP, of course. Jackknife to Shannon, Diamond Cutter to Shane. Insiders win. Sanders and the Perfect Event come out to shit talk. They ask for Ric Flair to come out. As it turns out, Nash wasn't the legal man AND he pinned Stasiak, who was also not the legal man. Perfect Event are the ones out here, but it's supposed to be Jindrak and O'Haire at Starrcade. Flair strips The Insiders of the championships, but also gives them a rematch. After last week, all promo references to Scott Hall were banned by higher ups in WCW.

TO THE BACK
. Bam Bam busts out of the ambulance Mike Awesome happened to be walking by and attacks.

Reno vs Kronik

Reno is now wearing a singlet. I think this was supposed to be just Crush, but they both beat up Reno and the match was thrown out right away. Marie was watching and ran off. Vito hits the ring and Kronik run out. Marie also bounces to the ring. Vito walks off.

TO THE BACK. Crowbar and Daffney chat. Crowbar has his two Nitro YAKs, which makes Daffney sad. Maybe she shouldn't have been fucking a dude who looked just like Crowbar when she knew Crowbar was super into her. Flair holds a security meeting.

Highlights of Goldberg on Maury.

MI SMOOV vs Goldberg.

SMOOV isn't even half way to the ring when Goldberg's entrance starts. Goldberg whoops that ass. A side note, Goldberg had said in some promotional work that he thought the new streak was stupid.

o5vo_zps20cf8788.gif

TO THE BACK. Steiner gets pumped up.

Jeff Jarrett vs Konnan

Nope. Jeff wins with shenanigans.

Scott Steiner vs General Rection WCW Championship

This was probably a main event on a weekend show in 1996. Hugh gets a lot offense and Scott bails to the floor. Midajah jumps on Hugh's back. He wouldn't back into the corner, so Steiner got the better of him. Steiner gets back on offense with suplexes and clubberings. Steiner puts Hugh in the tree of woe, but wraps his leg the wrong way, which SHOOT injured Hugh's knee.

vlcsnap-2013-02-22-17h39m21s143_zpsce8e45e5.png

Not good for a big dude with a history of knee injuries. Hudson says Hugh "ain't going out like that!" and I lol. Hugh does a pescado! Hugh almost won a few times, but Steiner kicked out of the moonsault. Steiner wins with the Recliner. This was pretty decent and did more to make Hugh look legit than months of matches with Lance. He got WAY more offensive in against Steiner. All of his matches with Lance had him get no offense and hit the moonsault for the win or get no offense and get knocked out by the Maple Leaf.

Steiner grabs the mic and says Flair is out of time. He heads to the back and Shane attacks Hugh at ringside.

TO THE BACK. Steiner attacks Arn at Gorilla.

Arn is thrown to the ring. Recliner on Arn. Finlay holds Flair back from hitting the ring. But not Goldberg. Lex cuts off Goldberg OUTTA NOWHERE. Lol. It's a Bish gif in the making. Goldberg and Sarge are hit with chairs. Security pulls everyone apart. Sid is magically in the ring. We're out of time!

o5vs_zpsdf9c86e2.gif

Of note, this is about the time when Time Warner put WCW up for sale. They were trying to salvage the company as well, but were shopping it around. If it wasn't sold, in the running to take over day to day operations were Tony Schiavone, Terry Taylor, and Johnny Ace. Bischoff was trying really hard to get the company and some people already thought he was back in charge. Russo was told to write storylines that could continue without him, and then most of his stuff was dropped anyway.

These recaps remind that I had no idea who Mike Sanders was or what he did. Yet, he always had a microphone. Sometimes I thought he was OK, other times I was thinking 'what is a Mike Sanders'. To this day whenever I see the name 'Mike Sanders', I still think 'what is a Mike Sanders'.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Also, SHIMMER 53 will be live on iPPV at WrestleCon over Mania weekend! Saraya Knight (c) vs Cheerleader Melissa - Cage Match! Awesome Kong vs Mia Yim! Ayako Hamada vs Athena!

Well good, I have something to watch that night since nothing in Wrestlemania holds any interest to me.

Yeah that was amazing!

I never really had the chance to really see it on the tele back then, but luckily a lot of matches have been appearing on Youtube these past few years. Been great any time I find myself no longer caring about WWE or the like and just want solid wrestling work, it always makes me smile for consistently good work.

http://youtu.be/ehRX4YvSx6c

Hey, why didn't AJ Styles ever work for WWE?

He did a few shows such as Metal. http://youtu.be/XR5tIFlhetw

strobogo

Banned
Almost to the end of the run here. Gonna miss these recaps.

I will be continuing and finishing out WCW's run in 2001.

These recaps remind that I had no idea who Mike Sanders was or what he did. Yet, he always had a microphone. Sometimes I thought he was OK, other times I was thinking 'what is a Mike Sanders'. To this day whenever I see the name 'Mike Sanders', I still think 'what is a Mike Sanders'.

He was a decidedly not above average jerk off. WCW confused "comfortable on the mic" with "good on the mic" and had him talking constantly on shows. He was basically Mr. Anderson before there was a Mr. Anderson. He also came up with the Natural Born Thriller name, but he wanted to use it for himself as the Natural Born Thriller Kid Extreme. WCW didn't go for that, so he came up with Above Average and Disco told him it was a good idea.

Hey, why didn't AJ Styles ever work for WWE?

AJ said in 2001, the WWF offered him a $500/week developmental deal. He didn't feel like moving his entire family from Georgia to Kentucky for $500 a week. He said he was making more with a regular job and working indies on the weekend. So he turned them down and never heard from them again.

I will be continuing and finishing out WCW's run in 2001.

He was a decidedly not above average jerk off. WCW confused "comfortable on the mic" with "good on the mic" and had him talking constantly on shows. He was basically Mr. Anderson before there was a Mr. Anderson. He also came up with the Natural Born Thriller name, but he wanted to use it for himself as the Natural Born Thriller Kid Extreme. WCW didn't go for that, so he came up with Above Average and Disco told him it was a good idea.

Yes. Yes, I like this. This starts to make sense to me as to what a Mike Sanders is.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Thunder 12/6/2000

TO THE BACK. Ric Flair walks to the ring.

Stevie Ray comes to the announce position. But his career is over. Why is he out here? Stevie takes Madden's spot at ringside. Thank god.

Ric Flair enters the ring. Stevie is giving Tenay a bunch of shit for saying his career was over. Ric is a troubled man. Sid and Steiner will not be allowed on the show tonight. He suspends Steiner indefinitely and strips him of the title. Oh shit. Mike Sanders comes out. He thinks it is a bad idea to strip Steiner right before WCW's biggest PPV. Power struggles~! Arn shows up on the Thunder Vision. He tells Sanders to mind his business or he'll slap his shit. Arn doesn't want the title stripped and thinks Steiner should have to defend it. Ric agrees. Ric looks so depressed whenever he's on screen.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-01h27m46s82_zpsfbf8ae44.png

TO THE BACK.
Goldberg and Sarge arrive. Bill says this angle started as business and now is pleasure. Gene talks to Flair. Flair books Sanders against Chavo for the title. Crowbar has something for Daffney. He has some 70s clothes for her. Chavo and Lash talk when Wall shows up and tells Lash that Hugh is looking for him. Wall doesn't like Chavo's attitude.

Knoble and Karagias vs Jindrak/O'Haire

Jamie is taking it to Jindrak until Evan tags himself in. I don't know why WCW bothered with Evan. He was so shitty. Allegedly, Christian York was supposed to be the 3rd member of 3 Count, but something happened and Evan was the closest guy. Even weirder is that they made him the promo guy. He was, somehow, worse of a promo guy than both Shane and Shannon. The cruisers get a ladder out and use it without getting disqualified. Both guys get the super hip toss. Mark does a standing springboard rana followed up with the Seanton Bomb. NBT win.

TO THE BACK. Crush is on the phone making a deal. Same person as Nitro. Paula is with Shane Douglas. I think Paula is wearing a potato sack. Shane got the match with Steiner and Hugh booked.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-01h40m53s22_zps967116cb.png

Sgt. AWALL vs Bam Bam Big Yellow

Daffney is in 60s attire. She's not very happy with it. Crowbar is a 70s guy, but he has Daffney in flowery bell bottoms.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-01h41m49s71_zpsc1a30653.png

Crowbar Solie is on color. Winner gets a Hardcore Championship match. They brawl for a bit until Wall gets thrown over the the table into the announcers. Wall uses Crowbars golden wrench. Mike Awesome shows up to knock Wall and Bammer off the apron and through a table. Wall's music plays, but neither guy got up, so it should have been a no contest.

TO THE BACK. JJ and Harris Bros attack the Animals in the parking lot. Leia Meow is choking the Dragons when Cat and Ms. Jones show up. They're going to have a 6 man against Team Canada. They don't understand English. Cat can't believe he taught them karate for 2 years (it was more like 4 months) and they didn't understand English.

A Sid hype video plays.

TO THE BACK
. Gene is with Buff. Buff will have Alex Wright tonight. Buff threw a big fit that he had to job to Steiner last week on Thunder. He was tired of jobbing to B level talent. He considered Scott Steiner a B talent guy that he shouldn't have to job to. Lol.

Team Canada vs The Cat/Jung Dragons

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-01h54m19s145_zpse9fa905f.png

Lance gets Krang in the Maple Leaf. Kaz breaks it up. Duggan again fucks up and Cat wins with the Feliner on Prime Time. Stevie is such a mark for Cat's dancing. Kaz's big dance move is the machine gun.

TO THE BACK
. Paula Potato is with Team Canada. Lance sends Duggan away. He challenges Cat for Starrcade. Marie and Vito argue about Reno. I swear I remember this angle as her being Reno's girlfriend.

Mike Sanders vs Chavo Guerrero Jr WCW Cruiserweight Championship

I hope Chavo wins, just so I can not see Mike Sanders wrestle. He was a really boring wrestler. Sanders tried a tornado DDT, but it was countered into a Northern Lights. Chavo hits a belt shot, Eddie style, hits a brainbustah, and we have a new champ!

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-02h12m23s181_zpse8b5e1f8.png

TO THE BACK
. Gene is with Chavo. He won a title in one week of a new attitude. Fuck you, Hugh. Sanders is throwing a fit in the back. The Boogie Knights talk. Disco has a plan, but Alex is sick of his stupid plans and will be wrestling by himself tonight.

TO THE INTERVIEW
. Stevie Ray talked with The Insiders. Nash explains how they came together as a team. DDP was out with a back injury and Nash found out Hall was released, so when DDP came back, it just worked out. They talk about Scott Hall a lot. His name was muted every time. DDP just started yoga at this time. Lights were going out during this interview. It looked very unprofessional. They ask Stevie why he's there. Mike Tenay told them he was gone. The story of this interview is classic WCW. All references to Scott Hall were banned. DDP and Nash claimed they hadn't been told this directly, so the plan was to film this interview and put in clips of Hall from the Diamond Studd through NWO days. Because of this, WCW didn't think they needed to reshoot the interview with all the weird lighting issues. But then they realized the Hall ban was real and they wouldn't be showing any clips or allowing Hall's name to be said. By this time, it was too late to reshoot and they couldn't cut it because it would leave a 7 minute chunk missing from Thunder. So what we got was a really unprofessionally shot interview where Scott Hall was a main subject, but had his name muted every mention.

TO THE BACK.
Lex is reading Goldberg's book.

Alex Wright vs Buff Bagwell

Buff totally buried Alex during his promo by saying going from Steiner to Wright was like going from the penthouse to the outhouse. Buff has a new hairstyle and it looks even weirder than his normal hair.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-02h27m46s248_zps24efc1f1.png

Alex is probably my favorite guy since his return. He's been pretty awesome. Disco SHOOTS on Buff bitching about his push. Buff wins with the Blockbuster. Maybe Alex should have hired Kronik or a Harris Brother.

Big Vito vs Bryan Clark

Kronik's logo is totally in Metal Gear font. I hope the person paying for these is Tony Marinara. Crush thinks Vito's name should be changed to "Poop for brains". Yes. Poop for brains. "Can I say poop on Thunder?" Vito has some new gear, but his body type is so weird and he wears a strange singlet anyway. Stevie is HEATED that people keep fucking with his table. It's so weird to me that WWE brought Vito in in 2005. That seems like a long time to wait. Vito appears to hurt his knee. Wrath wins with the Meltdown. Reno comes out to make a save after the match. He gets beaten down. These brothers kind of suck. Marie hits the ring. I bet she's the one paying Kronik to bring Vito and Reno closer together. During the break, the family helped each other to the back.

o6b9_zps8a21ac3f.gif

TO THE BACK. The NBT confront Reno for helping Vito. Reno's hair is so god damn stupid.

Shane Douglas vs Goldberg

"It takes a lot to piss The Franchise off!" "No it doesn't." Stevie is the best. I want him to replace King on Raw immediately. And have Stevie and JBL fuck with Cole all PPV long. And then on Smackdown, they can have Booker and Stevie call some matches with JBL and have JBL be completely exasperated at trying to make sense of what they're saying. It would be the best. Shane heels on the crowd for like 5 minutes. They must have been short on time. Shane puts his chain on before the match and gets a few shots in. Doesn't matter. Lex has Sarge in the Torture Rack on the stage. Bill can't leave the match or his streak ends and he'll be fired. Spear and jackhammer for the win. Goldberg runs to save Sarge, but Lex is nowhere to be found.

o6bi_zpsd11a8d2a.gif

EDIT: YO WTF THEY DO THAT IN FRONT OF A GREEN SCREEN?!

Holy shit! That's the worst break in kayfabe I've personally ever seen! Not the words, not the character breaking "We're actors" bit, but the studio setting. I was all "What the fuck?!" when the graphics turned off and the camera pulled back to show them in a studio. XD

Chikara "Best Of 2012" is available. http://smartmarkvideo.com/chikara-dvd-best-of-2012.html. Pretty awesome list of matches for those of you who don't follow CHIKARA regularly.

20121231chikaradvd-500x500.png

1. Green Ant vs. Mike Quackenbush (1.28.12)
2. F.I.S.T. vs. 3.0 (3.24.12)
3. Archibald Peck vs. Chuck Taylor (3.25.12)
4. Brodie Lee vs. Eddie Kingston (3.25.12)
5. El Generico vs. Sara Del Rey (4.28.12)
6. Meiko Satomura vs. Sara Del Rey (5.20.12)
7. Eddie Kingston vs. Jigsaw (5.20.12)
8. Icarus vs. Gran Akuma (6.2.12)
9. Young Bucks vs. F.I.S.T. (6.2.12)
10. Eddie Kingston vs. Sara Del Rey (7.28.12)
11. ACH vs. Mr. Touchdown (8.18.12)
12. Team ROH vs. Team Sendai Girls (9.16.12)
13. Minami Toyota & Kaori Yoneyama vs. Commando Bolshoi & Tsubasa Kuragaki (9.16.12)
14. Spectral Envoy vs. Team ROH (9.16.12)
15. Gran Akuma vs. The Shard (10.6.12)
16. Colt Cabana vs. Mike Quackenbush (11.10.12)
17. 3.0, Gran Akuma & El Generico vs. Young Bucks & Bravados Brothers (11.11.12)
18. Fire Ant, Green Ant, Mike Quackenbush & assailANT vs. Jigsaw, The Shard, Soldier Ant & deviANT (12.2.12)

trunbuns

That Zeb video was great. I hope that this is a sign that the angle is going to continue because Dutch needs to remain on television. Swagger is convincing as someone who would be taken in by all of this, and they've kept pushing wrestlers who've done worse.

I cannot believe I am hyped for a Del Rio/Swagger fued. If they pull this off in an intelligent and thoughtful manner within the PG framework then hopefully they'll green light more interesting angles going forward.

JR's reaction to the end of Austin/Rock at WX7 is pure gold, paraphrasing here but it reaches an almighty apex when JR is yelling "THEY MIGHT AS WELL URINATE ON THE ROCK!"

Is Chikara referencing something with that dvd cover?

Edit: Also glad Chuck Taylor vs. Archibald Peck is on there. Probably the hardest I laughed at a match this year.

Jamie OD

Is Chikara referencing something with that dvd cover?

Edit: Also glad Chuck Taylor vs. Archibald Peck is on there. Probably the hardest I laughed at a match this year.

It's definitely referencing a comic book cover but I don't know which one. Chikara does that a lot and they do a great job standing out, especially when you see how lousy a lot of the other companies are with their covers. It's not important but it's nice to see the effort put in.

There's another iPPV tonight, PWX present 'Rise of a Champion VIII'

www.highspots.tv - $9.99 - 7:30PM EST

Main Event: Dojo Bros (Roderick Strong & Eddie Edwards) vs Kevin Steen & Davey Richards
PWX Heavyweight Championship 2/3 Falls Match: Adam Cole (c) vs Caleb Konley
Special Mixed Tag Match: Mike Bennett & Maria vs Zane Riley & Amber O'Neil
Grudge Match: Corey Hollis vs Chiva Kid
Singles Match: Adam Page vs Cedric Alexander

Plus, more matches TBA.

Looks like a good show, and I think I get this included in my highspots.tv membership, so I'll definitely be tuning it. Wrestling! YAY!

It's definitely referencing a comic book cover but I don't know which one. Chikara does that a lot and they do a great job standing out, especially when you see how lousy a lot of the other companies are with their covers. It's not important but it's nice to see the effort put in.

I think it's a direct copy of a classic Avengers or Fantastic Four comic, but I can't find the original cover. Seems Quack is Reed Richards, Green Ant is Captain America, Kingston is meant to be Galactus I think...can't make the others out.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Monday Nitro 12/11/2000

They played the same video that started Thunder, which means the events of Thunder are completely meaningless. This show was preempted. No one in WCW knew it was preempted until a fan sent a letter into the Observer saying their guide had something other than Nitro on for Monday. So WCW learned their own show was preempted by reading the Observer.

TO THE BACK. Sanders and Lex made a deal.

CEO Flair comes to the ring. Sid and Steiner can be on the shows, but they can't fight until Starrcade. If they do fight, they'll both be suspended and Steiner will be stripped of the title for real this time. Ric implies that both Sting and Booker could be there tonight. They aren't. Steiner will face Wall for the title tonight. Sanders comes out. He says Flair has a "mad on" for Steiner. Fans were apparently chanting asshole, but since this wasn't a live show, it was dubbed with weird sounds. Sanders books Insiders vs Perfect Event vs Jindrak/O'Haire tonight. This is a big and hot crowd for WCW. Maybe it isn't hot and is just piped in, but it seems like they're into it. Flair books Sid vs Sanders. If any of the Thrillers interfere, they'll be fired.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-03h40m11s161_zps7750a471.png

EARLIER TODAY
. Steiner attacked Lash as he arrived. Wall broke it up and they brawled.

TO THE BACK
. Gene is with Sid. Jindrak and O'Haire took a monitor out of Goldberg's office. Sarge arrived. Disco gave him some shit and Sarge throws him against a wall and screams at him.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-03h42m40s130_zps87856956.png

Team Canada vs Cat/Ms. Jones

"I like that already!" "Why would you say that, Tony?" "Because of the YAKS." Santa is in the audience. Tony claims that the Canadian anthem is the most overplayed song on the shows. Stevie says the most overplayed song is one that is never played on TV. Fuck DJ Ran, is what he meant to say. Cat says if Lance loses, he'll have to sing the US anthem on Thunder. Ms. Jones is not in wrestling gear at all. Gunns hit a dropkick! YAK ATTACK! Ms. Jones with a head kick. Gunns makes a tag while standing on the floor. I don't know why WCW were mad at Lance. That's the only reason I can think to put him with Cat. Prime Time comes out, but gets hit. Duggan throws a 2x4 in, which Cat catches, and uses to beat Lance. Lance will have to sing the Star Spangled Banner on Thunder.

TO THE BACK. Goldberg arrives.

THE FOLLOWING FUCKSHIT IS JIMMY HART BULLSHIT FUCK THIS ASSHOLE.
Jimmy is starting a radio network.

TO THE BACK. Lash is on the phone with Chavo when Hugh comes in. MIA meeting. Thriller meeting. The 3 way tag is now a 4 corners match with Kronik. Reno doesn't like it.

Crowbar and Daffney come to the announce table. Crowbar doesn't even know why he's out there. He knocks on the table with his wrench and Stevie tells him he has to respect the table.

Norman Smiley vs Meng Hardcore Match

Norman has realized that being hardcore is what he does best and offered an open challenge for a hardcore match. Paisley comes out with Meng.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-03h54m40s160_zps499057af.png

Norman actually takes it to Meng. They head up to the DJ Ran area where Norman gets in a fight with Santa. Santa comes in the ring and throws soot at Meng and Norman. The match is called off. Meng puts Paisley and Kwee Wee in the Deathgrip while blinded. Santa reveals himself to be Terry Funk and lays about 8 unprotected chair shots to Meng. He actually broke a metal chair on Meng's head. Then he calls the crowd perverts and says he'll give the crowd 11 hos. He only gave like 7. He calls Crowbar into the ring and challenges him to a match at Starrcade. Crowbar agrees and Terry CRUSHES his head with the chair. Jesus. The sound it made was disgusting.

o7bt_zps1504b91d.gif

TO THE BACK. Sarge confronts Sanders. He wants Lex. Sarge has a fanny pack with a cell phone attached to it. He'll get Lex on Thunder if he does something for Sanders. The Harris Brothers come across table long sandwiches. The Animals were watching and thought it was hilarious because they put laxatives in them. Gene is with Steiner. Scott don't give a fuck about Flair or Sid. Paula is with MIA. Wall will fuck Steiner up tonight. Shane will face Lash tonight.

Mike Sanders comes to the ring not in his wrestling gear. He says he is not medically cleared to wrestle. Sid comes out, also not in his wrestling gear.

Sid vs Mike Sanders

Sid is not a reasonable man. He fucks Sanders up. Chokeslam. Powerbomb. Pin. Sid says something to Stevie that I didn't understand at all. Stevie laughed, though.

TO THE BACK. The Insiders head to the ring. Sid wants keys to a cop car I think and throws the cop/guard. Reno attacks Kronik in a hallway. Vito makes a save. The Thrillers break it up. Vito and Reno hug.

The Insiders vs Perfect Event vs Jindrak/O'Haire vs Kronik

Kronik don't come out. DDP and Kim will be reading Christmas stories at a mall somewhere. Way to keep kayfabe, WCW. They got a divorce, remember? Nash starts and actually moves around and does stuff. The numbers game is too much for them. DDP puts Meat in a sleeper. Jindrak puts DDP in a sleeper. Stasiak does a jaw breaker, which makes DDP do a jawbreaker to Jindrak. Nash comes in, takes everyone out, but gets hit with a flying clothesline. Diamond Cutter on Jindrak. Meat hits DDP with a belt. Chuck pins Nash, who was completely out for a good 2 minutes from a Seanton Bomb.

MOMENTS AGO.
The attack on the Insiders continued. Nash's knee was destroyed on the ring post.

TO THE BACK.
Sid has a minivan. DDP and Nash talk.

Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker vs Goldberg

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-04h20m03s31_zpsa77f2c67.png

What a dick move from Lex and Sanders. Since the monitor was taken out of Goldberg's room, he doesn't know who is in the ring waiting for him. Bill won't do the match. Sarge insists they have to. Lex comes out and says Sarge won't get to fight Lex if Goldberg doesn't do this match. Sarge attacks Goldberg trying to get Bill to do the match. It eventually works. Goldberg hits the spear, but won't do the jackhammer. Sarge forces him to. Goldberg wins. He carries Sarge to the back.

TO THE BACK. Jamie Knoble asks Crowbar, Kwee Wee, Meng, and Daffney for advice. He was bitching about Evan. Then Evan arrives and says Sid is doing something crazy in the parking lot.

Shane Douglas vs Cpl. Cajun

Stevie again gets heated when the action makes its way to the announce table. Chavo brings a chair for Lash to use. Lash doesn't want to use it. Shane had his chain. Lash accidentally hits Shane in the gut with the chair and is disqualified. Hugh runs in to prevent Shane from beating up Lash. Chavo and Hugh argue.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-09h33m51s82_zps9eebb21d.png

All this does is remind me that Knoble and Karagias were allowed to use a ladder in their matches and not get disqualified, but one chair shot to the stomach was enough for Lash to get disqualified. Actually, things like this happen a lot and there are no DQs. Tony made a point of it on the very last show that they've relaxed the rules since Spring. Shane Douglas used his chain right in front of the ref and it was fine. Jeff regularly uses his guitar right in front of the ref and it is fine. Tons of interference and it is totally fine. Lash accidentally uses a chair and it is not fine at all. Who makes these rules?

TO THE BACK.
Jeff wants the Harris Brothers to get to work. They have stomach problems. Sid is now in an SUV. Paula is with Mike Awesome. Mike is bring back Career Killer and wants an Ambulance Match with Bam Bam at Starrcade. Gene is with Jeff and the Hammer Brothers. They're having some problems. "If I move, something's gonna happen." Shit angles in wrestling never get old.

Filthy Animals vs Jeff Jarrett Elimination Match

Big Ron runs back up the ramp. "Runs" being the operative and repeated word. Heavy D makes it to the ring and takes off. Jeff eliminates Konnan in short order. Stevie can never figure out the difference between a face full of stuff and a bronco buster. There is a ref bump, Jeff hits Kidman with a guitar, but Rey hits a sunset flip for the win.

TO THE BACK. Sid has put a lot of cars in a circle, where he can fight Steiner.

Scott Steiner vs Sgt. AWALL WCW Championship

Scott says if Flair does anything to him, he'll go to Flair's house and beat his old ass. I remember that right before the reboot, Wall was starting a feud with Hogan. Then Kidman got the feud with Hogan, Wall did nothing for months, then turned into a goofy face. He puts a table in the ring, but Scott kicks him right in the face. While Steiner's matches weren't usually the best, I do like that he's defending against mid carders. That's something sorely missed in today's wrestling. It's part of what made Taker and Brock's reigns in 2002 so awesome. Wall hits the chokeslam, but gets a t-bone through a table. Recliner for the win. Steiner retains. Sid shows up on the screen and wants Steiner to come outside.

TO THE BACK
. Steiner obliges. They brawl in a circle of cars. Steiner busts out a lot of windows. Sid tries to powerbomb Sid on a hood, but Steiner blocked it. Starrcade is 5 days away. Seems like the quickest build to a show.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-09h55m28s57_zps92d2c9a4.png

trunbuns

JR's reaction to the end of Austin/Rock at WX7 is pure gold, paraphrasing here but it reaches an almighty apex when JR is yelling "THEY MIGHT AS WELL URINATE ON THE ROCK!"

His disgust when Austin shakes Mr McMahon's is amazing.

"I thought I knew him, I thought he was my friend" or words to that effect.

JR is up there as one if the single greatest contributors to the WWE's success in that era. Yes the wrestlers were great but JR made them greater. Sometimes I'm watching RAW and I can't help but feel that the wrestlers are being let down by Cole and King. JBL seems to be trying his hardest but it's the biggest problem with the current product.

strobogo

Banned
His disgust when Austin shakes Mr McMahon's is amazing.

"I thought I knew him, I thought he was my friend" or words to that effect.

JR is up there as one if the single greatest contributors to the WWE's success in that era. Yes the wrestlers were great but JR made them greater. Sometimes I'm watching RAW and I can't help but feel that the wrestlers are being let down by Cole and King. JBL seems to be trying his hardest but it's the biggest problem with the current product.

You can't help but feel that because they are letting the wrestlers down and I think it is an intentional choice from Vince. Cole and King go out of their way to show as little emotion as possible (except when fake laughing) and usually will actually talk negatively about segments. Things that should be sold as crazy and terrible, they just call it as bored as possible. That has to be an intentional choice. When someone gets hyped up, they're immediately talked down.

Top Bottom