• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Cagey

Banned
You can't help but feel that because they are letting the wrestlers down and I think it is an intentional choice from Vince. Cole and King go out of their way to show as little emotion as possible (except when fake laughing) and usually will actually talk negatively about segments. Things that should be sold as crazy and terrible, they just call it as bored as possible. That has to be an intentional choice. When someone gets hyped up, they're immediately talked down.

But why make that choice? What does it achieve? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just confuses me that if you're right, why it'd be a thing they'd want. A family-friendly program where you try to engage younger kids with monotone voices and subtlety doesn't work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched an ep of S1 NXT while I ate breakfast today.

Heath Slater's Record: 3-0
Skip Sheffield's Record: 0-2

strobogo

Banned
But why make that choice? What does it achieve? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just confuses me that if you're right, why it'd be a thing they'd want. A family-friendly program where you try to engage younger kids with monotone voices and subtlety doesn't work.

I think it is because general public connects wrestling announcers with crazy over the top calls, and it embarrasses Vince.

Ithil

You can't help but feel that because they are letting the wrestlers down and I think it is an intentional choice from Vince. Cole and King go out of their way to show as little emotion as possible (except when fake laughing) and usually will actually talk negatively about segments. Things that should be sold as crazy and terrible, they just call it as bored as possible. That has to be an intentional choice. When someone gets hyped up, they're immediately talked down.

Compare that to NXT commentary, where Regal puts over EVERYONE as being worthy to watch (even jobbers, he points out all their strengths), he concentrates 100% on the match in front of him, he explains how and why they're doing what they're doing (like explaining the effects some of the submission holds are supposed to have), and of course he's funny as hell. His fellow commentator usually just tries to keep up, but I'm sure the new guys they have there learn shitloads from Regal.

Meanwhile you've got King going "goatsgoatsgoats" nonstop during Bryan matches, which serves no purpose but to make the announce team look like unfunny children.

jred2k

Yeah I don't think Vinca gives a shit what they say as long as they get all their app plugs in. They just seem lazy and more worried about putting themselves over than the talent.

Compare that to NXT commentary, where Regal puts over EVERYONE as being worthy to watch (even jobbers, he points out all their strengths), he concentrates 100% on the match in front of him, he explains how and why they're doing what they're doing (like explaining the effects some of the submission holds are supposed to have), and of course he's funny as hell. His fellow commentator usually just tries to keep up, but I'm sure the new guys they have there learn shitloads from Regal.

Meanwhile you've got King going "goatsgoatsgoats" nonstop during Bryan matches, which serves no purpose but to make the announce team look like unfunny children.

The commentary has been horrible even since JR left. He may not have been the best, but he could create excitement about the person, what is happening in the ring and help in selling the damn moves.

Guzim

The two best things Lawler has done on commentary since coming back:
1.) "My ride's here." - when the ambulance came out on Monday Night Raw the night he came back.
2.) Lawler and Titus O'Neil doing commentary was hilarious.

http://fightnetwork.com/news/34700:interview-dutch-mantell-on-fundraiser-for-granddaughter/

Interview with Dutch from November talking about his granddaughter, the accident and a fundraiser that was held. Tough listen that also makes you angry that the guy who killed Dutch's granddaughter was out on the streets. This must have been so hard for his whole family. I'm so glad Dutch is getting this run, it's much deserved and apparently at the perfect time in his life.

gurudyne

Yes in August

Jack Swagger is an idiot asshole.

As for King and Cole, there has to be a better reason they're running commentary into the dirt than Vince's pride. I refuse to believe that a man who has put on such stupid and inventively offensive stuff in the past is ashamed to have passionate commentators.

EDIT: Gaming side claims another--UberTag is down for the count.

-- Glenn Beck responded to WWE's invitation to Raw Monday by saying, "Unfortunately, I am currently booked doing anything else."

Hopefully it's a swerve.

Laserfrog

Freight Train needs to get out of bed.
XlgCIlE.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
http://fightnetwork.com/news/34700:interview-dutch-mantell-on-fundraiser-for-granddaughter/

Interview with Dutch from November talking about his granddaughter, the accident and a fundraiser that was held. Tough listen that also makes you angry that the guy who killed Dutch's granddaughter was out on the streets. This must have been so hard for his whole family. I'm so glad Dutch is getting this run, it's much deserved and apparently at the perfect time in his life.

Thanks for this, this is brutal to listen to. Man...I hope Swagger feels like shit for all this. Real shit.

Watching the AIW event from February 8th, starts off with a great match between 'All Ego' Ethan Page and ACH. Page cuts a good promo before the match and then impressed in the ring as he picked up a big victory over ACH, who definitely helped make Page look great here as he blocked or avoided most of ACH's signature offence. Fun stuff. I really like Page's leaping cutter;

iY3u8foK2Bk58.gif

Page's spinning ura nage finisher;

ibsH7VrEw3OUIK.gif

Freight Train needs to get out of bed.

I really wish the 'Freight Train Texts' twitter would update more often;

https://twitter.com/FiveDollarTexts

"A some people want me to play james brown win day make a movie about him"

"A rob van dam sed 5dollar wrestling ware the big boy play"

"Ok vince nee to stop been jel is of us"

strobogo

Banned
WCW Thunder 12/13/2000

The go home show for Starrcade.

TO THE BACK. Sanders will honor his word and give Sarge Lex in the ring. He's also putting Chavo against the Perfect Event. Ric Flair was watching this. He thinks that sounds like a spectacular show. Wat. Lance must sing the US national anthem. Ric authorizes Sanders to make Steiner/Sid in a no DQ match tonight. He books Sanders against DDP.

Knoble and Karagias vs 2 Count vs Jung Dragons

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-13h29m22s141_zpsb34561e2.png

What the fuck, Konnan has replaced Stevie for the night? Fucking gross. I don't like when promotions run a match that is scheduled for the PPV on the go home show. Sure, this is a ladder match at Starrcade, but still. If they really run Sid vs Steiner, that'd be even more ridiculous. Shane had a good super kick. Vertebreaker on Kaz. A ladder comes into play. This ladder doesn't get the match called off, but Lash using a chair does. Bullshit. Double superplex from a ladder balanced on the ropes. Evan pins Shannon to win the match.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-13h33m02s254_zps71e351dc.png

TO THE BACK.
Kwee Wee and Paisley do an add for a 4 wheeler. Midajah makes fun of them, and Steiner beats the shit out of Kwee Wee. He actually lifted the ATV and dropped a wheel on Kwee Wee's face. Ric talks with Team Canada. Lance doesn't know the words to the US anthem. Duggan will teach him the words. HOOO!

Chavo Guerrero Jr vs The Perfect Event

Chavo was mad that this match was booked because he was trying to get over as a heel. Being a small dude in a handicap match against the heel group undermines that and he wasn't happy about it. Konnan makes gay jokes and said that Chavo won some award as a bar tender. It doesn't surprise me at all that Chavo was a bar tender. Mixologist. Lash wants to help, but Hugh won't let him. Konnan says "General Reaction". That's not his name, asshole. Chavo tries, but is out numbered and loses.

Tony talks to Sid on his phone. Man, they never do this anymore. I remember this being a regular thing on Raw back in the day.

TO THE BACK
. Meng checks on Kwee Wee. He's going to kill Steiner. Bam Bam hits on Marie. She isn't into it. Vito and Reno beat him up. Gene is with Sarge. Duggan is teaching Lance the words to the US anthem. Lex is reading WCW Magazine. A clip of Goldberg in his wrestling gear and a yarmulke on the Man Show. Meng asks Flair for a match with Steiner tonight.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-13h47m59s41_zpsada61fc9.png

Team Canada comes to the ring for Lance to sing. It feels like Lance is feuding more with Duggan than Cat. Cat and Ms. Jones come out to have a picnic. Lance messes up a few times, so Duggan helps. Completely off key and tempo. Cat throws food at them.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-13h53m44s170_zpsc3038a8d.png

The Cat vs Jim Duggan

Duggan won't let the rest of the team interfere. He was about to use the 2x4, but sees a sign saying "We love you Jim Duggan". This makes him hit Lance with the 2x4. He takes off the Canadian colors, but Cat kicks him anyway and gets the win. The Canadians beat Cat after the match. Duggan turns face.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-13h58m04s211_zps0e540edd.png

TO THE POWERPLANT.
A package of Sarge drilling people into puking is shown to a JHV of Down With The Sickness.

TO THE BACK. Gene is with Steiner. Scott yells something. Lex ambushes Goldberg with a bat at his locker room door.

Dewayne Bruce vs Lex Luger

I really can't believe they brought Buddy Lee Parker back in a major angle in 2000. They must have been so hard up for workers if they were using a career jobber in the second biggest angle of the biggest show of the year. Lex is back to his old face music. Sid is on the phone again. He's kind of lost. He's having trouble finding the arena. Sarge dominates until Lex hits him with a wooden bat that was hidden under the ring. Torture Rack for the win. He won't let go after the match because Goldberg is down and out.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-14h09m05s90_zps94f99834.png

TO THE BACK.
Lex hightails it out of the building. DDP is doing yoga and is going to kick the shit out of Sanders, even if he is 20 years older. Gene is with Reno and Vito. They want Kronik tonight. Trainer checks on Sarge. Daffney and David walk around. Crowbar is bummed about having to face Funk. Daffney thinks Crowbar has lost his edge and wants him to change his clothes.

Kronik vs Reno/Big Vito

This is also supposed to happen at Starrcade. Fuck this. Kronik suck. Also, this is supposed to happen at Starrcade. This is the go home show. Why are they running this match? It isn't like an angle match, but a real, full on match. Wrath did an head and arm Tazplex. Jeff jumps the rail and hits Konnan with a guitar. He did the same thing to Stevie Ray a few weeks ago. Well, at least Konnan is gone for the night. Too bad the show is over half done. Kronik win with High Times. So why do we need to see the match at Starrcade? It turns into a pull apart brawl after the match.

TO THE BACK. Thriller meeting. Drastic measures are needed tonight.

TO THE INTERVIEW
. Tenay had a chat with Shane Douglas. Shane gets heated when Torrie gets brought up. He's going to use the US Championship as a stepping stone to the world title.

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-14h31m55s252_zpse29b6b3d.png

TO THE BACK.
DDP gets some water. The Thrillers run into his dressing room. After a break, the Thrillers leave the locker room where we find Nash has been laid out.

DDP vs Mike Sanders

They get into a slap and spit fight. Sid is on the phone again and is still lost. DDP hits the Diamond Cutter, but the Thrillers hit the ring. I thought the Thrillers would be fired if they came out? So are they fired for this? DDP hit another one on Meat and a Stunner on O'Haire. Segment ends with DDP laid out. These guys should all be fired.

Scott Steiner vs Meng WCW Championship

Meng hit a back breaker that looks like it actually broke Scott's back. He stiffened up immediately like a board. This match is boring. Meng selling is weird. YAK ATTACK. Sid arrives as Scott locks on the Recliner for the win. They brawl to end the show. Chokeslam. We're out of time!

vlcsnap-2013-02-23-14h46m59s117_zps084e357c.png

The card for Starrcade:

Sid vs Scott Steiner WCW Championship
Lex Luger vs Goldberg No DQ
General Rection vs Shane Douglas US Championship
The Cat vs Lance Storm
Filthy Animals vs Jarrett/Harris Brothers Street Fight
Mike Awesome vs Bam Bam Big Yellow Ambulance Match
Terry Funk vs Crowbar WCW Hardcore Championship
Insiders vs Perfect Event WCW Tag Team Championships
Knoble and Karagias vs Jung Dragons vs 2 Count Ladder Match

This is supposed to be the biggest show of the year, but everything about it screams holding pattern PPV. Nothing is a blow off match. The only thing that could be is Lex and Goldberg. Just about everything else didn't even start until 2-3 weeks before the show.

Inspired by Strobogo's WCW 2000 rewatch, I decided to give the TEW13 WCW 2001 scenario ago. I thought I'd share the 'booking' with you guys. Appreciate it might be of little interest to anyone, but hey - let's see where this goes!

WRASSLE-GAF BOOKS... WCW 2001 and beyond!

The Story So Far.....

North America

With the territory system a distant memory the pro wrestling scene in North America is just emerging from it's latest war for dominance. Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation is once again the only Global promotion left when the dust has settled after winning the Monday Night Wars against rival WCW and sending the promotion to Cult size in the process. The subsequent dream Invasion angle that many a wrestling fan has salivated over for decades looks to be a distant hope once again as Eric Bischoff looks to breathe life into WCW and heat up the WWF vs WCW rivalry once again.

Meanwhile various indy promotions with different and ranging styles are springing up around the place riding on the success of the industry.

Japan

Rocked by the death of Giant Baba in 1999, the Japanese wrestling scene is still feeling the effects of one of it's true legends passing. The founder of All Japan Pro Wrestling Giant Baba left the ownership of the company to his widow Motoko Baba and had Mitsuharu Misawa appointed as president. However, disheartened with Motoko Baba's proposed direction for the company, Misawa would depart the promotion in May of 2000 to form a new promotion called Pro Wrestling Noah. With Misawa followed all but two native stars (Masanobu Fuchi and Toshiaki Kawada being the only hold-outs), and is considered to be one of the biggest exoduses of talent in the sport's history.

New Japan Pro Wrestling continues it's reign as the number one company in Japan. While Antonio Inoki's booking the past few years seems to be slipping the NJPW name is still considered the most prestigious in the country. The recent influx of MMA crossover stars has spiked ratings for New Japan but many experts have expressed their concern it could do irreparable harm to the product, especially the fact that more and more NJPW stars are trying their hand in an MMA ring.

Mexico

The 90's witnessed Mexico robbed of it's greatest lucha's to the lure of North American money. As WCW and WWF signed hot prospect after prospect, Mexico's two biggest mainstay promotion's CMLL and AAA watched as their rosters were stripped almost bare. Now in the early 2000's both company's have put their future in the hands of young workers and have seen an immediate impact. Large crowds have started to return to events and new stars are being born again. Having learned the lessons of the past Mexican Luch Libre is looking to return to the forefront of professional wrestling.

Australia

It's glory years long gone Australian wrestling returned with a massive bang in the late 90's. Coinciding with the introduction of cable TV in the country the Monday Night Wars drew Aussie wrestling fans back to the sport in droves.

So WCW 'survived' after Bischoff managed to gain control, with support of Fusient Media Ventures. With a $10m budget, a whole host of high wage written contracts, the challenge in front of Owner and Booker Eric Bischoff is to find a TV deal ASAP for WCW, as well as a PPV carrier for the monthly events.

Bill Goldberg, Sting, Scott Steiner & Ric Flair are still on board, as well as Kevin Nash, Booker T (and GAF favourite) DDP!

Titles currently remain around the waist of the previous owners:
WCW United States Heavyweight - Booker T
WCW World Heavyweight - Booker T
WCW World Tag Team - Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire (Natural Born Thrillers)
WCW Cruiserweight - Gregory Helms
WCW CruiserweightTag Team - Billy Kidman & Rey Misterio Jr. (The Filthy Animals)

The WCW Hardcore and WCW World Television titles are currently retired.

As it currently stands in 6 days time WCW are due to put on the Slamboree 2001 show, but there's no clear direction or momentum. Some wrestlers, and backstage guys, will have to go if the $10m dollars is to last long enough. WCW are currently considered 'Cult' level across North America (which is somewhere between TNA and ECW's level during their 'height').

THE ROSTER - Everyone is on a written contract with wages paid monthly (excluding Scott Hudson who is on a Exclusive PPV contract)

Air Paris - $1.8k
Air Styles - $2k
Alex Wright - $4.5
Arn Anderson - $10.5k (Non-Compete clause)
Bam Bam Bigelow - $8.5
Big Vito - $2.3k
Bill Goldberg - $80k
Billy Kidman - $6k (Non-Compete clause)
Booker T - $20k (Non-Compete clause)
Brian Adams - $7.3k (Non-Compete clause)
Bryan Clark - $7.3k (Non-Compete clause)
Buff Bagwell - $13.7k (Non-Compete clause)
Cash - $2.2k
Charles Robinson - $3k (Non-Compete clause)
Chavo Guerrero Jr. - $5.5k (Non-Compete clause)
Chris Harris - $1.5k
Chuck Palumbo - $8.1k (Non-Compete clause)
Crowbar - $3.8k
DDP - $20.4k (Non-Compete clause)
Disqo - $4.3k
Don Harris - $2.3k
Dustin Rhodes - $10k
Dusty Rhodes - $13k
Elix Skipper - $2.4k
Ernest Miller - $5.9k
Evan Karagias - $2.3k
Fit Finlay - $5.4k (Non-Compete clause)
Gene Okerlund - $1k (Non-Compete clause)
Gregory Helms - $4.2k (Non-Compete clause)
Hugh Morrus - $7.1k (Non-Compete clause)
James Storm - $1.5k
Jamie Knoble - $2.4k
Jason Jett - $1.5k
Jeff Jarrett - $15.5k
Jim Duggan - $6k
Johnny Ace - $5.6k (Non-Compete clause)
Johnny Swinger - $2k
Johnny the Bull - $2k
whobettathan Kanyon! - $10.1k (Non-Compete clause)
Kaz Hayashi - $2.5k
Kevin Nash - $80k (Creative Control, Wage Match, No House Shows clause)
Kid Romeo - $2.3k
Kimona Wanalaya - $2k
Konnan - $7.3
Kwee Kee - $2.3k
Lance Storm - $7k (Non-Compete clause)
Larry Zbyszko - $8.2k
Lash LeRoux - $2.1k
Lex Luger - $17k
M.I. Smooth - $2.2k
Madusa Micelli - $3.1k
Mark Jindrak - $5.1k (Non-Compete clause)
Mark Johnson - $2k
Midajah - $2k
Mike Awesome - $8k (Non-Compete clause)
Mike Sanders (wtf is a Mike Sanders?!) - $5k
Mike Tenay - $4.5k
Nick Patrick - $2.8k (Non-Compete clause)
Norman Smiley - $5k
Paisley - $1.7k
Reno - $2k
Rey Misterio Jr. - $7.4k
Ric Flair - $23k
Rick Steiner - $9.5k
Road Warrior Animal - $8.4k
Ron Harris - $2.4k
Scott Hudson - $800 per show
Scott Steiner - $25k
Sean O'Haire - $8.3k (Non-Compete clause)
Shane Douglas - $9.5k
Shannon Moore - $4k
Shawn Stasiak - $5.5k (Non-Compete clause)
Sid Viscious - $16.4k
Stacy Keibler - $4k (Non-Compete clause)
Stevie Ray - $5.8k
Sting - $21k
Terry Taylor - $4k
The Sarge - $3.1k
The Wall - $3.1k
Tony Schiavone - $2.8k
Torrie Wilson - $2.5k (Non-Compete clause)
Vampiro - $7.2k
Vince Russo - $600
Yun Yang - $2.5k

There are a few options currently being considered:

- ANOTHER REBOOT
- Re-join the NWA (which currently has Extreme Canadian Championship Wrestling, NWA: Wildside & Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE under it's umbrella) and adopt the NWA Titles again
- Continue as if nothing happened
- Cull the roster or keep those who remained?
- If a Culling is a comin' who will replace those going?
- Reopen 'The Power Plant'?
- Create a Women's Division?
- Continue running monthly events despite no PPV/TV Deals?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting scenario Luchador - I think you should cut some dead weight in there, some BIG dead weight - namely, Kevin Nash. And make Goldberg no-compete or cut his pay 20k.

strobogo

Banned
I always liked playing those scenarios, but I get so bored of TEW after about 2 months of booking shows. I would immediately get rid of the Harris Brothers, Rick Steiner, Larry Z, Animal, Kronik, most if not all the YAKS, use Lex to get someone over and then fire him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I always liked playing those scenarios, but I get so bored of TEW after about 2 months of booking shows. I would immediately get rid of the Harris Brothers, Rick Steiner, Larry Z, Animal, Kronik, most if not all the YAKS, use Lex to get someone over and then fire him.

It wore me out, doing those. Cool as hell, but it mentally wore me out.

Keep Larry Zbyszko! Shame on y'all.

Top Bottom