• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

DDP has taken Johnny Swinger under his wing!

The Great American Bash 2001
18,007 @ Pepsi Center.

Pre-Show: The Mamalukes v Air Raid
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Air Raid defeated The Mamalukes in 9:39 when Air Paris defeated Big Vito by pinfall with a Diving Leg Drop. (D-)

Pre-Show: Kwee Wee v Mike Awesome
In an extremely short match, Mike Awesome defeated Kwee Wee in 2:59 by pinfall with an Awesome Bomb. (D-)

Pre-Show: Road Warrior Animal v Dustin Rhodes
In a match that had some good action and average heat, Dustin Rhodes defeated Road Warrior Animal in 15:17 by pinfall with a Bulldog. (C)

Pre-Show: Hugh Morrus v Kanyon
In a match that had some good action and average heat, Kanyon defeated Hugh Morrus in 10:29 by pinfall. (D+)

---

Match: Chavo Guerrero Jr. v Johnny Swinger
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Johnny Swinger defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr. in 7:56 by pinfall with a Swing Thing. (D)

- A video recap shows the highlights of Shannon Moore, Kaz Hayashi, Jamie Noble and Gregory Helms. It's an advert for the Cruiserweight Division 'WCW - Gravity is denied'. (E+)

WCW Crusierweight Title Match: Shannon Moore v Kaz Hayashi v Jamie Noble v Gregory Helms (c)
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Shannon Moore drew with Kaz Hayashi, Jamie Knoble and Gregory Helms in 12:00 when the referee was forced to rule a no contest when all hell broke loose. (D+)

- Eric Bischoff appears on the rampway, applauded the 4 Cruiserweights. He goes on to talk about how in the past he never really gave the division it's due. However, all that is changing, he's a changed man. He promises. He promises that WCW will be more about amazing in-ring action, and less about egos.
The crowd start to buzz. The camera focuses in on a figure watching on from above... It's STING! He's watching Bischoff. (C+)

WCW Tag Title Match: Kronik v Natural Born Thrillers (C)
In a match that had some good action and average heat, Natural Born Thrillers defeated KroniK in 15:02 when Sean O'Haire defeated Bryan Clark by pinfall with a Double Superkick. Natural Born Thrillers make defence number 1 of their WCW World Tag Team titles. (C-)

- Gene Okerlund is in the ring. Booker T's music plays and joins him. Booker starts to explain where he was on last Saturday's WCW Saturday Night. He was ready to accept Scott Steiner's challenge, when he was attacked from behind by Rick Steiner! (c-)

- Scott and Rick Steiner appear on the rampway and start a verbal argument with Booker T. Booker T agrees to fight them tonight in a tag match. (C)

- A video package plays showing the highlights from the last 2 weeks in the 'Fight for the Gold' matches. (D)

- Gene Okerlund interviews Billy Kidman, who is due to face Lance Storm for the US Title. Billy Kidman says that he has to win, as he can't stomach another Lance Storm 'Canadian Title' reign. (D)

- US Title Match: Billy Kidman v Lance Storm
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Billy Kidman defeated Lance Storm in 14:33 by pinfall with a Shooting Star Press. Billy Kidman wins the WCW United States Heavyweight title. (C-)

- Billy Kidman celebrates, when a flash video package plays of a familiar colourful mask... when it finishes Billy Kidman remains in the ring looking around. He slowly nods, as if understanding what's happening, before leaving (D)

- A highlight package replays the last 2 weeks. It shows Booker T's promise to be a fighting champion, Scott Steiner calling out Booker, before destroying Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Lex Luger coming out to save Duggan and finally the events from earlier in the PPV. (C+)

- Main Event - Tag Match: The Steiner Brothers v Lex Luger & Booker T
In a match that had some good action and average heat, Lex Luger and Booker T defeated The Steiner Brothers in 20:08 when Booker T defeated Rick Steiner by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. (B-)

- Scott Steiner grabs Lex Luger and locks in the Steiner Recliner, as Rick Steiner grapples Booker T out of the ring (C+)
- Scott Steiner continues his beatdown on Luger, as Rick Steiner rejoins him. They both leave the ring as Booker T manages to get back to his feet to try and save Luger. (C-)

End Show (C+)

Buyrate: 1.23

Popularity increased in 13 regions. Lost in 3 others.
Main Event was ruined by... a lack of selling! Not really surprising considering Lex Luger, Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner were involved! Had a little laugh to myself at how quickly the 'ratings' dropped when Luger was involved! Think it's time to take GAF advice on board and look to use him to get a younger star over. Quickly.
A whole bunch of people on the roster have minor morale issues at not being involved on the PPV.
With the short 2 hour TV time and PPV (I totally forgot about... how WCW of me) out the way, the long term storyline can begin. Seeds were planted in the PPV.

Can Eric Bischoff be trusted?
Who was Sting watching? And Why?
A new era for WCW is on the cards. Is the world ready for a more 'modern' style of wrestling?
The Mystery King is ready for his return. Is Kidman ready for Mysterio?

I love this. Keep us updated!

Ridley1.1

Neo Member
Ok guys, bare with me beceause I'm new here.

Short introduction: I'm dutch, a friend of Aiii (regular here untill he was banned, but he's coming back) and a follower of rasslin' for about a decade now. Earlier wasn't really a possability in Holland, luckaly the internet came about.

I have to say, why is there so much negativity about the current state of the WWE? If I only compare it to two year ago, a lot of great things are going on. First of all, CM Punk finally got the push he deserved, but beceause he lost the title after freaking one and a half year people bitching?? Because he's just gonna feud with Taker now? That's really bad why? It's gonna be a great feud I'm sure and @WM30 Punk WILL get the main event. This year Cena Rock is just better on the card. And I have to say, the feud and match last year didn't disapoint. Compare that too Cena - Miz @ WM27, man what a improment. And damn, that match last night between Punk and Cena, it was gold (just short of their MITB 2011 match). I'm really loving the WWE right now.

Also, I really enjoy what is happening with the shield right now. I can only presume that there will be another amazing match @WM with them and a couple of the biggest names (after last night it will probably involve Orton and Sheamus). Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns are making an impact that feels the same as what the Hardy's, Dudleys and E&C brought to the table.

I'm sorry guys, I can really enjoy the WWE right now. Even Daniel Bryan still makes me laugh every week, although I would love to see him in a big singles feud again.

McNei1y

There's negativity because wrestling fans enjoy complaining about the product as much as when the product is good.

I'm just mad at the predictability and how Cena and co. continue to get better matches than the up and coming talent. I'll bitch about that every week until there's change.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Short introduction: I'm dutch, a friend of Aiii (regular here untill he was banned, but he's coming back) and a follower of rasslin' for about a decade now. Earlier wasn't really a possability in Holland, luckaly the internet came about.

I have to say, why is there so much negativity about the current state of the WWE? If I only compare it to two year ago, a lot of great things are going on. First of all, CM Punk finally got the push he deserved, but beceause he lost the title after freaking one and a half year people bitching?? Because he's just gonna feud with Taker now? That's really bad why? It's gonna be a great feud I'm sure and @WM30 Punk WILL get the main event. This year Cena Rock is just better on the card. And I have to say, the feud and match last year didn't disapoint. Compare that too Cena - Miz @ WM27, man what a improment. And damn, that match last night between Punk and Cena, it was gold (just short of their MITB 2011 match). I'm really loving the WWE right now.

Also, I really enjoy what is happening with the shield right now. I can only presume that there will be another amazing match @WM with them and a couple of the biggest names (after last night it will probably involve Orton and Sheamus). Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns are making an impact that feels the same as what the Hardy's, Dudleys and E&C brought to the table.

I'm sorry guys, I can really enjoy the WWE right now. Even Daniel Bryan still makes me laugh every week, although I would love to see him in a big singles feud again.

First up, welcome goddammit welcome! Aiii sent you eh? Well...this explains a lot.

It's fun to complain and armchair quarterback things, WWE is the biggest target because it aspires to be the ultimate #1 company - so it's easy to pick them apart.

It doesn't help that NJPW shits on WWE at every opportunity, on every level. So people draw comparisons.

Josh Alexander hits a Spinning Tombstone on Davey Vega from AIW's 'Conspiracy Theory' show;

i5j9mva5E8fwl.gif

Really impressed with both guys here - Davey Vega is a great young wrestler who's been putting on consistently good matches in AIW. His striking is a bit on the weak side, but he's very smooth in the ring, while Alexander is a real beast in the making. Would love for PWG to bring in some of the AIW guys.

Sunflower said:
It doesn't help that NJPW shits on WWE at every opportunity, on every level. So people draw comparisons.

Firstly, welcome Ridley :)

Secondly, for me, I think what Sunflower points out there is my biggest problem with WWE - it's not New Japan, lol. But, to be honest, WWE is something I'm probably always going to watch, or at least keep tabs on, regardless of what I think of the booking. There are a lot of things to be happy about in WWE as of late, and certainly a lot more to be hopeful for than there was 5 years ago.

This Friday, Absolute Intense Wrestling make their iPPV debut with an all-women's show as they present 'Girls Night Out 8', live worldwide via iPPV;

ijRJZ9ppq1xlu.jpg

March 1st - 16:30 PST | 19:30 EST | 00:30 GMT | 01:30 CET

http://www.smvod.com/premium-video/aiw-girls-night-out-8-march-1-2013-live-ippv - pre-order, $14.99

. AIW Women's Championship Match: 'AK47' Allysin Kay (c) vs A Mystery Opponent
. Climb the Ranks Ladder Match for no.1 Contednership: ??? vs ??? vs ??? vs ???
. Climb the Ranks Qualifier #1: Kimber Lee vs Athena
. Climb the Ranks Qualifier #2: Veda Scott vs Leva Bates
. Climb the Ranks Qualifier #3: 'Crazy' Mary Dobson vs Annie Social
. Climb the Ranks Qualifier #4: Sassy Steph vs Addy Star
. Tag Team Attraction: The Social Network (Nikki St. John & Heidi Lovelace) vs Angeldust & K.C. Warfield

Plus more matches to be signed.

Video Hype;

. AIW Girls Night Out 8
. Girls Night Out 8: The Road So Far
. Veda Scott talks GNO8
. Kimber Lee talks GNO8
. Sassy Steph talks GNO8

Looks like it's going to be a great show. Support indy wrestling, folks, and women's wrestling, too, while you're at it!

Would be great if Kay's mystery opponent is Mia Yim and we get a rematch from their awesome cage match at GNO7, or Hailey Hatred vs Allysin Kay would be pretty awesome too.

As for the Ladder match, I'm predicting it'll be Athena vs Veda Scott vs Annie Social vs Sassy Steph. All the qualifying matches look good and, to my mind, Mary Dobson is the only weak link, so pairing her with another brawler like Annie is a good move. Should be a real fun show :)

I'm really looking forward to being live and in person for this. Could be the best GNO show that AIW has done yet. I'll be sure to let you guys know how many freaks show up trying to buy the ladies outfits.

Ridley1.1

Neo Member
Aiii just teased me that people talk about wrestling here. Problem is, in the freaking Netherlands there is nobody to do that with. It's is even really looked down upon. It's a wonder that they gonna do a Raw houseshow here in April, I really fear for a empty / silent arena. Allthough I'm gonna make as much noise as possible.

Striker

I'm just mad at the predictability and how Cena and co. continue to get better matches than the up and coming talent. I'll bitch about that every week until there's change.
Aka eight years ago, which is when the WWE was last watchable on a consistent basis (Smackdown).

strobogo

Banned
Booking the angles and specific times for everything is what really kills my enjoyment of TEW. I wish there was a mode where you do the general office stuff and creative, but don't actually have to lay out shows to the minute. Picking angles is so tedious.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really looking forward to being live and in person for this. Could be the best GNO show that AIW has done yet. I'll be sure to let you guys know how many freaks show up trying to buy the ladies outfits.

Oh you'll be there in person? Bitchin man. Enjoy. I would!

Aiii just teased me that people talk about wrestling here. Problem is, in the freaking Netherlands there is nobody to do that with. It's is even really looked down upon. It's a wonder that they gonna do a Raw houseshow here in April, I really fear for a empty / silent arena. Allthough I'm gonna make as much noise as possible.

It'll be fun man. Don't sweat it. People here look down on wrestlin' talk too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Aka eight years ago, which is when the WWE was last watchable on a consistent basis (Smackdown).

Yknow something I found? The HHH/Orton feud from abouttttt 3 years ago, in 09, pre-mania, was drawing above a 4.1 rating consistently. Man, those were good days.

Ridley1.1

Neo Member
NJPW, now and then I watch a match, wich are mostly great, but it never grabs me. It's just too japanese for me or something, can't really put my finger on it.

Has Japanese gaming ruined Japanese Rasslin'for me??

strobogo

Banned
That's a great looking piledriver. I see Brian Adams doing a TERRIBLE and dangerous looking piledriver in the WCW stuff. That's how it should be done.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NJPW, now and then I watch a match, wich are mostly great, but it never grabs me. It's just too japanese for me or something, can't really put my finger on it.

Japanese gaming ruins a lot of things, one of those being the majority of your social skills so watch out :p

All hail the stars and bars

Omega

Banned

welcome

who gives a shit about a Taker feud. He can barely wrestle anymore. Chunk also probably isn't even going to win. So what's the point? Don't give me the "he'll look strong" excuse because no. A loss is a loss and that's how majority of people will see it. Losing to 40 year old Taker who looks as beat up as Foley isn't impressive no matter what happens

Even if he loses, who cares. Wins and losses do not matter in the WWE.

Remember Shaemus being "buried" by a returning HHH, Nexus, and that feud with Santino? Exactly.

I don't understand what is up with the AIW ring. Looks like they are wrestling on trash bags.

Seriously, I wish they'd invest in some proper canvas mats. It just looks wrong as it is.

If we get a match anywhere near as enjoyable as Kay vs Yim was, it's sure to be a belter of a show. I'm a sucker for tournaments too, and ladder matches. Also, lol at the freaks. That amazon wish list/ring-worn gear stuff weirds me out.

Japanese wrestling is definitely an acquired taste, and the language barrier really doesn't help.

Still, if New Japan isn't your thing, there's always DDT;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAg_wIDRnG8

Welcome dude :: shakes hand:: have you tried CHIKARA? Good in ring action, the best storylines in wrestling, and kick ass characters await you if not.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If we get a match anywhere near as enjoyable as Kay vs Yim was, it's sure to be a belter of a show. I'm a sucker for tournaments too, and ladder matches. Also, lol at the freaks. That amazon wish list/ring-worn gear stuff weirds me out.

Japanese wrestling is definitely an acquired taste, and the language barrier really doesn't help.

Still, if New Japan isn't your thing, there's always DDT;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAg_wIDRnG8

DDT is a hoot. Worth watching just to see what ideas they have.

Regarding the language barrier, I've never once had an issue following what was going on due to it. I just...don't hear it. I just don't hear the commentary. Am I alone?

Ridley1.1

Neo Member
welcome

who gives a shit about a Taker feud. He can barely wrestle anymore. Chunk also probably isn't even going to win. So what's the point? Don't give me the "he'll look strong" excuse because no. A loss is a loss and that's how majority of people will see it. Losing to 40 year old Taker who looks as beat up as Foley isn't impressive no matter what happens

Every year the first WM HBK match I've expected not a lot and every time he proves me wrong...

Striker

Yknow something I found? The HHH/Orton feud from abouttttt 3 years ago, in 09, pre-mania, was drawing above a 4.1 rating consistently. Man, those were good days.
What were the ratings post-Mania? ;)

Smackdown in 09 was decent, probably the last okay show until SummerSlam when Jeff left.

Every year the first WM HBK match I've expected not a lot and every time he proves me wrong...

Yeah, I don't get why people think Taker suddenly doesn't understand how to work a match. 4 years in a row he's had a great one without having to do a whole lot physically, especially last year.

Omega

Banned
Come on, that's just Cole. And why the hell can't he see the diffirence between a STF and a crossface??
at least he tries to call out moves so I can't even call him out. King just slurps Cena and makes goat jokes.

JR needs to come back. He made WWE so much better. he commentated and actually sounded like he cared

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
at least he tries to call out moves so I can't even call him out. King just slurps Cena and makes goat jokes.

JR needs to come back. He made WWE so much better. he commentated and actually sounded like he cared

Make Cole the heel GM. Put JBL on commentary full time with Mick Foley and a good play by play guy.

Regarding the language barrier, I've never once had an issue following what was going on due to it. I just...don't hear it. I just don't hear the commentary. Am I alone?

I kind of zone out on the commentary for the most part, but I love it when they get so excited over a huge move (AHHHHHHH!!! LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!). Also, I find myself picking up words here and there, like you sometimes hear someone in the crowd shout out 'Abunai!' when a wrestler's about to get attacked from behind or take a big bump, which means 'look out/dangerous'.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What were the ratings post-Mania? ;)

Smackdown in 09 was decent, probably the last okay show until SummerSlam when Jeff left.

Around 3.62 averaged for Q3 2009. I was looking for specifics but came up dry (I'm at work) :(

Omega

Banned
Yeah, I don't get why people think Taker suddenly doesn't understand how to work a match. 4 years in a row he's had a great one without having to do a whole lot physically, especially last year.
Those Triple H matches were mediocre. Only reason Taker/HHH II seemed decent is because the rest of WM28 was shit.

It's also hard to care about a match when you know the outcome. Example, main event last night could have went down as one of the most memorable matches ever, instead it was hard for anyone to care because CENAWINSLOL.jpg

Ridley1.1

Neo Member

Not heel Cole is sometimes even funny. And he and JBL make a good duo. Even King has had a few good moments since his comeback from death.

Jup, the announcing even improved in the WWE over the last years.

Yeah same. I think he can put on a great match with Punk....I just really wanted that triple threat. What bothers me the most is "Once in a lifetime" happening twice in one years time. I wouldn't have cared if Cena won a triple threat match, I mean the guy hasn't had the belt in forever, granted that hasn't removed him from being the main event. But he had to have it back at some point. He probably won't hold it for very long anyway.

Ridley1.1

Neo Member
Those Triple H matches were mediocre. Only reason Taker/HHH II seemed decent is because the rest of WM28 was shit.

It's also hard to care about a match when you know the outcome. Example, main event last night could have went down as one of the most memorable matches ever, instead it was hard for anyone to care because CENAWINSLOL.jpg

Yup, Cena was going to win it, that was certain. And still, the 9 count of Cena, the piledriver, the million kick outs by Punk, it made me forget that fact.

Great match.

Yeah same. I think he can put on a great match with Punk....I just really wanted that triple threat. What bothers me the most is "Once in a lifetime" happening twice in one years time. I wouldn't have cared if Cena won a triple threat match, I mean the guy hasn't had the belt in forever, granted that hasn't removed him from being the main event. But he had to have it back at some point. He probably won't hold it for very long anyway.

I would have liked the triple threat too Probably more than the Taker match. But I have faith the Taker match will still be good. Taker should make Punk look bad ass.

Taker should make Punk look bad ass.

I really do hope so, because that Hell in a Cell match they had was probably the most underwhelming HiaC ever.

Actually, I remember Sheamus/Orton (I think?) being pretty bad. Had that spot where Sheamus hit a backbreaker across his knee on the steps, as if that was supposed to make it hurt more.

Top Bottom