• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Man, there were a bunch of CZW shows from about Feb-April 2001 I had in the rewatch, which were just brutal. People's skin being ripped off by barbedwire all over the ring. Some guy being thrown off the top of some little camera stanchion to the floor before. Yet, despite how crazy it was, it was still better then XPW. I can't put my finger on it, really. XPW was just vomit inducing, while CZW was like that car crash intrigue thing going on.

Yet, despite how crazy it was, it was still better then XPW. I can't put my finger on it, really. XPW was just vomit inducing, while CZW was like that car crash intrigue thing going on.

I think those early CZW shows hold up well because the promotion had a sort of cult-mentality to it. They have their own defined style across the card and a bunch of workers who, while not great, we're hungry to wow the crowd and steal the show. XPW...if they had a style, fuck knows what it was. A mix of shitty deathmatch wrestling and washed up ECW 'stars' struggling to put on anything resembling a good match. Ugh.

I think it helped that the guys in CZW looked like lunatics. The guys in XPW just looked like fat people with metal band t-shirts on. The only person I liked in XPW was the Homeless Guy.

Also, found another show to add to the 2001 timeline!

World Wrestling All-Stars
Inception:
10/26/2001

card:
Ladder Match for International Cruiserweight Title: Juventud Guerrera vs Psychosis
Dog Collar Match: Konnan vs "Road Dogg" Brian James
Hardcore Match: Devon Storm vs Norman Smiley
Open Invitation Battle Royal
Guitar-On-A-Pole Match: Jeff Jarrett vs Nathan Jones
Triple Threat Match (tournament, round 2)
Lumberjack match (tournament, round 2)
Black Wedding Match: Vampire Warrior vs Luna Vachon
WWA World Title / Steel Cage Match (tournament finals)

This means I have the following to 'look forward to'.

August - WWF, XPW - Damage Inc.
September - WWF, IWA-MS Barbed Wire Bombs & Blood, HWA, OVW
October - WWF, WWA, APW - King of the Indies,
November - WWF, XPW - Retribution
December - WWF

Then on to 2002, which I personally can't wait for! CHIKARA, CZW, ROH, TNA and I'm hoping Puro and Lucha shows are easier to obtain too.

The only person I liked in XPW was the Homeless Guy.

Homeless Guy Jimmy was legitimately the one entertaining aspect of XPW. No idea what happened to the guy, I always liked the gimmick.

Mr. Luchador said:
Ladder Match for International Cruiserweight Title: Juventud Guerrera vs Psychosis

Ooh, that could be pretty good.

Mr. Luchador said:
Guitar-On-A-Pole Match: Jeff Jarrett vs Nathan Jones

Dear god, I bet that's awful.

Mr. Luchador said:
Then on to 2002, which I personally can't wait for! CHIKARA, CZW, ROH, TNA and I'm hoping Puro and Lucha shows are easier to obtain too.

All the big NOAH shows from around then should be easy enough to find, but NJPW & AJPW weren't in the best state for much of the 2000's, so I don't often see many shows from that era online. Although, Rudoreels.com and ivpvideos.com should have a bunch of stuff from around then.

And you got your hands on some HWA? Nice! Quite a few good wrestlers came through there, not least Nigel McGuinnes & Dean Ambrose.

Yeah, had to double check that Guitar on a Pole match twice. I hope it's as terrible as we all seem to think it'll be.

Only managed to find 1 month's worth of HWA shows. There are a few months worth of OVW shows available. Will have to step up the search!

Aiii

So not worth it
Everyone knows that wrestling matches get better the second you put something on a pole.

Just imagine how great Monday's main event would have been if it was a WrestleMania Sign On A Pole match! It would've been the undisputed best main event in Raw History!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hardcore Match: Devon Storm vs Norman Smiley
Open Invitation Battle Royal
Black Wedding Match: Vampire Warrior vs Luna Vachon
WWA World Title / Steel Cage Match (tournament finals)

Exciting! Juvi Juicy Juice vs Psicosis is a great match. They hate each other IRL though ;(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When's the next Avatar Rumble Sun?

Maybe before Mania. Might not be a Ramble. Might be a smaller thing. I'm not sure. I don't think we'll ever have a turnout like we did for the first AAAAND not everyone wants a sacrificial avatar. Maybe we can work something else out.

Maybe whoever wins it, we make some floating-head smilies of theirs and use them on the forums for a month.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it was definitely fun, probably some of the most fun I've had here. Everyone was invested in their entrant. Could you imagine how fun the Royal Rumble in WWE would be if people were invested in each wrestler?

Zandig's gonna win whatever's next though.

Let's do this.

Female rumble.

In a modern WWE game? woah there pal, can't be having divas in matches that could contain men, better wait until the old feature becomes a new feature again in like 5 years time.
Though you could probably do one of those 6 person battle royales with them.

Forgot to mention, AAA Canada/Next Generation Wrestling put up a version of their last show for free. They had issues editing the video in time so rather than delaying the iPPV they just released the hard camera footage for free and will put together a proper DVD at a later date.

You can watch it here:
http://www.nextgenerationwrestling.tv/#!video/cyo5

The majority of the event is a twelve man tournament for the first NGW World Championship, with three fatal-four way qualifying matches each with two men advancing to a six way elimination match for the title.

Qualifying matches were:
Teddy Hart vs John Morrison vs The Young Bucks
Sonjay Dutt vs Samuray Del Sol vs Jack Evans vs Flip Kendrick
Harry Smith vs Kevin Nash vs Brian Cage vs Trent Barretta

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot to mention, AAA Canada/Next Generation Wrestling put up a version of their last show for free. They had issues editing the video in time so rather than delaying the iPPV they just released the hard camera footage for free and will put together a proper DVD at a later date.

You can watch it here:
http://www.nextgenerationwrestling.tv/#!video/cyo5

The majority of the event is a twelve man tournament for the first NGW World Championship, with three fatal-four way qualifying matches each with two men advancing to a six way elimination match for the title.

Qualifying matches were:
Teddy Hart vs John Morrison vs The Young Bucks
Sonjay Dutt vs Samuray Del Sol vs Jack Evans vs Flip Kendrick
Harry Smith vs Kevin Nash vs Brian Cage vs Trent Barretta

I'm actually gonna wait on this, I had a friend who saw the raw footage and said it was absolute butt - so I'll wait for the DVD release. Apparently that event was white hot. Did you go to this one too Pepsi?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
someone start a Be The Booker contest.

List every Wrestlemania 29 match correctly before the upcoming Raw and win something.

nobody will win because it's 6 weeks before the biggest show of the year and only 4 matches are booked

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
someone start a Be The Booker contest.

List every Wrestlemania 29 match correctly before the upcoming Raw and win something.

nobody will win because it's 6 weeks before the biggest show of the year and only 4 matches are booked

That's actually...a really good idea. I just need to figure out an ante. Maybe put "Booked By ____" with the username in the blank on their avatar for a month, in front of their normal av?

I'm actually gonna wait on this, I had a friend who saw the raw footage and said it was absolute butt - so I'll wait for the DVD release. Apparently that event was white hot. Did you go to this one too Pepsi?

I did. The main event and qualifiers were amazing and there was a pretty great triple threat tag as well.

Only real issue was that attendance was already down quite a bit from the January show, really hope they can maintain the fans they had this time.

jobber

That's actually...a really good idea. I just need to figure out an ante. Maybe put "Booked By ____" with the username in the blank on their avatar for a month, in front of their normal av?

you could offer cash and prizes because no one will have all 10 matches right before Monday.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Will set up a "Book Wrestlemania" event in the Community forum I suppose? This way it stays out of the usual crap. If you all are up for it.

Ah, I'll just do it here. Official version forthcoming.

jobber

Will set up a "Book Wrestlemania" event in the Community forum I suppose? This way it stays out of the usual crap. If you all are up for it.

Ah, I'll just do it here. Official version forthcoming.

If someone gets every match correct, then we know who the WWE informant is.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2001.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 1/15/2001

Shit got weird at Sin. A fan pepper spray Goldberg and now Goldberg is fired. Sid exploded his leg and Animal was the mystery man. A ref put his hand in the front of Shane Douglas' tights.

TO THE EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE. Ric Flair celebrated with Totally Buffed, Animal, Jarrett, and Steiner after Sin.

vlcsnap-2013-02-26-23h59m27s227_zps7e78ba09.png

We start out with Tony and Scott being upset and sad that they got SWERVED and WORKED. Then they show slow mo replays of Sid's leg breaking. FUCK. They really needed to zoom in and slow mo that shit? Fucking gross. Just hideous. No pictures or gifs of that.

Totally Buffed come out in suits. Former R&B Security bring out a coffin. This is for Goldberg's career. Inside the coffin is a spear, a jackhammer, and Goldberg's book. That's actually pretty funny. In typical WCW fashion, this starts out good and then goes on way too long until it becomes terrible. They say some words about Bill and ask if anyone else has anything to say. Out comes Jeff Jarrett. He brings his guitar to a funeral in lieu of flowers. Jeff has his Owen voice on. Jeff says Bill never beat him. They bring out Scott Steiner. The funeral dirge has been playing for 12 minutes now. Scott says there will be no rematch with Sid. No shit. He and Midajah spit in the coffin. Goldberg's music hits, but Flair and Animal come out of the locker room.

vlcsnap-2013-02-27-00h21m01s107_zps0378919a.png

A full 15 minutes into this, they take a break and come back. Why did Ric Flair turn heel? How does that make sense at all after the past 3 months of him in charge? Ric says this is the greatest collection of the greatest wrestlers in wrestling HISTORY. There is not a single person in the ring besides Ric Flair that can be considered great. I mean, I like Scott Steiner and Lex was good pre-WWF, and Jeff was a dependable mid card guy, but none of them are excellent let alone the greatest collection of all time. "Big Poppa Pump gonna tear her up after the show!" Now they have 2 large heel stables. But one is old guys and one is rookies. As CEO, it seems to me that purposely screwing Booker, Sting, and Goldberg and having them injured or retired are terrible business decisions. Flair is just rambling and not even making sense anymore. It's like a TNA promo. Kevin Nash comes out. Jesus Christ, this is 22 minutes in of this shit. Is Russo booking this? He's not on Flair's team. He's literally going to kill Steiner and Flair tonight. DDP also comes out. And Rick Steiner! Now Cat is out. He books Nash and Steiner tonight. This went 26 minutes without the commercial break. Fuck.

oueb.gif

TO THE BACK.
The Magnificent 7 talk with Crowbar and Daffney. Crowbar can't join the group. Flair wants him on the team.

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Crowbar WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Only a half hour into the show before a match happens. Crowbar is clearly over the weight limit, but he was a Cruiserweight Champion during 2000. Chavo had a great plancha once upon a time. ADR does it best now. Chavo has a lot of flashy and high flying offense for a heel. I feel like Crowbar showed he could be higher up than the CW division. I think he should be bumped up to the US Championship level. He definitely flipped the switch in the last month or so of 2000 when they let him cut real promos. Crowbar tries to backdrop Chavo over the top, but Chavo just bounces off the rope. It was hilarious. Crowbar could have won the match, but decides to get a chair. Didn't work out for him. Chavo retains with the brainbuster.

oueo.gif

TO THE BACK. Totally Buffed talk with Bam Bam. They want him to join. He's in. This group is getting worse by the segment.

2 Count vs Filthy Animals

I see the bookers learned that after 25 minutes of old dudes talking, it'd be a good idea to have two matches with fast, young guys in a row. This is pretty much a Texas Tornado match. They've all been in the ring going full pace spot after spot. Dive sequence ends with Shane doing his frog splash cross body. Shannon got back dropped off the apron over the post. Super rana from Kidman gets 2. Sugar Smack! Terrible name for a superkick. Vertebreaker is reversed into a Kid Krusher. Fun full on cruiser sprint. Team Canada run out and attack the Animals. Lance challenges Kidman to face Awesome in a hair vs hair match. Really, one night of build out of nowhere for a hair match? So goofy.

TO THE BACK. Cat is talking with Kronik. They want a title shot against the Thrillers. Team Canada attack Kidman in a garage. Ric talks with Chavo. Chavo thinks things have been working out for him on his own. Sanders walks in and sits down for a chat. He didn't mean anything personal during his commissioner days. Totally Buffed try to recruit Hugh. He's speechless.

Kronik vs NBT WCW Tag Team Championships

Kronik are back to full faces again. They showed up as a team last April as heels. They turned face about a month later. They kind of turned semi-heel before going full face again. Then they turned heel around October. Now they're full faces again. The Thrillers had been wrestling less than 2 years and were clearly better than both members of Kronik who had been around over a decade at this point. Crush was trained by Fujinami and Inoki. Can you believe that shit? Those two produced Crush. And Sarge trained Wrath. Seanton Bomb put Crush out. Champs retain.

TO THE BACK. The Animals and trainer check on Kidman. Kidman can't wrestle. Konnan is going to replace Kidman. In a hair vs hair match. Konnan is bald. Hair vs Hair. A bald guy. O'Haire is mad at Meat and Jindrak for interfering in their match. Dissension in the ranks! Sanders says there is strength in honor. What?

Konnan vs Mike Awesome Hair vs Hair

Again, Konnan is bald. What does he have to lose in this match? Flair pops up on the screen and says Kidman will still get his head shaved if Konnan loses. Well, some god damn logic? On Nitro? For reals? Konnan does a pretty reckless looking top rope DDT. He was losing his balace and just pulled Awesome down. It got the win. Awesome will lose the mullet!

oufg.gif

TO THE BACK. Chavo doesn't want to be enemies with Hugh anymore. Mike holds parts of his mullet as Lance says they will get revenge.

The Cat vs Bam Bam Big Yellow

Cat's new thing is saying he does everything for the people and he can do anything if the people support him. Oh my god, what are you doing WCW? WCW pls. Stop. Cat easily wins with the Feliner in a mercifully short match.

Shane Douglas vs General Rection WCW US Championship

They're going to have a hard time having a worse match than last night. Shane hits the Plunge, but it was more like a normal fisherman suplex. Shane had a hard time getting his chain out of his knee pad. You'd think the ref would check that specifically after the night before. Chavo hits Hugh with the chain and Shane retains. The ref KNEW something was off and weird, yet counted the fall anyway.

TO THE BACK.
Tenay is with Hugh. He's sick of being General Rection and Hugh Morris and now he's going to end Chavo's career.

Scott Steiner vs Kevin Nash WCW Championship

WCW really needs Sting and Booker back. They get into it right away. I thought maybe they'd have a half hour promo first. Nash has his working boots on. He's FIIIIRRRRREEEDDDD UPPPPP. Fuck you, Mark Madden. I'm glad that fat cunt got fired. Luckily for Nash, this match was short. Nash was about to win when the rest of the 7 hit the ring. DDP, Rick, and Cat run down, but WE'RE OUTTA TIME!

vlcsnap-2013-02-27-01h37m20s77_zps8dea0f84.png

This show. What the fuck. This is the new WCW? The first few shows started out promising, but this was awful. Like, as bad as anything I saw in 2000. There are so many problems. WHY on earth did Ric Flair turn heel? Why did he go to such lengths for 3 months to make Jeff and Scott's lives miserable if he was on their side the whole time? Why would the CEO who is trying to turn the company around purposely get rid of the top 3 faces and draws in a time when they desperately needed draws? Why wouldn't the higher ups at Time Warner can Flair immediately for such behavior? Why did the give him the position at all after his time as president? You know, when he actually thought he was the president of the United States and had to be institutionalized? If he's doing it for the power, that doesn't make sense since he has complete control over the company as CEO. He could have done this 3 months ago if he wanted to. Why would he build up Animal as the biggest thing ever? Does anyone give a shit about Animal without Hawk? Where was Hawk? Why would Buff be best buddies with Lex when Lex turned on Buff when he returned? Why are Jeff and Buff in the same stable when they were feuding just a few weeks ago? What about earlier in the year when Steiner repeatedly made fun of Flair and Jeff tied to end Ric's career? Or a few weeks ago when Steiner tried to permanently cripple Arn? Why is Flair trying to get more people to join the "new WCW" when every wrestler on the roster answers to him anyway? Why did that opening segment need to be a half hour long? Why in that half hour segment did no one once mentioned why Ric Flair turned heel? Why are Cat and Bam Bam featured wrestlers? Where is Tank Abbott? Where is Kanyon? Why is Konnan in more matches suddenly? Why does Chavo half turn 3 times a week? Why would Palumbo and O'Haire suddenly be upset that the other Thrillers helped them win a match? Why have we not once been updated on Booker or Sting's injuries?

I don't think i've ever seen so many questions of confusion in one paragraph, I think I counted 25 altogether.
I think that says it all about WCW 2001.

Aiii

So not worth it
The big talk backstage at Tuesday night’s WWE Smackdown tapings is what some of the wrestlers who were at RAW are describing to us as a “total shoot” in which Vince McMahon stormed out of the arena at the conclusion of RAW because of the piledriver spot John Cena and CM Punk did in their match last night.

It is being said that at one point, Arn Anderson (who was the producer of the match) was concerned about losing his job. John Cena apparently smoothed things over with Vince, who was already in his limo leaving by the time Cena came back into the Gorilla position after the match.

While the piledriver aired on WWE’s own YouTube channel, it is not known how many were aware of Vince’s anger over the spot, which we have been told is being described as something that got “lost in the translation.”

Come on Vince, they were setting up WrestleMania for you, think of all the money you'll get!

Finally watched Punk vrs Cena.

Great match and FUCK at the piledriver. It looks like your basic run of the mill piledriver but for a few seconds I thought Punk just killed Cena.

When was the last time someone did a piledriver on WWE? Did HBK do one during one of his taker matches?

One thing that's pretty great about a lot of the supposed "rules" of the PG-era (piledriver ban, blood etc.) is that when they are bent or broken the reaction is so much better than when those things are happening on every show multiple times a night.

The piledriver was a perfect spot for that match and Vince should get the fuck over it.

Of course, this is how they set up Punk/Taker.
Next week Punk comes out ranting about his loss in typical heel fashion but soon moves onto Vince McMahon complaining about his piledriver, then he goes off on one of those small fourth wall breaking promos about the situation and sells the brutality of the piledriver, after all this he says that until he gets in the WM main event he will piledrive a wrestler and potentially end their career each and every week.
So for the next few weeks jobbers like Alex Riley and Yoshi Tatsu fall victim to the Punkdriver, JR is back on commentary just to sell the sheer brutality of the piledriver. With 2-3 weeks left until WM Punk claims that he has the most fatal piledriver of all time and no one, not even Vince McMahon can stop him.
*GONG*
The fans shit themselves with hype and the Underbaker comes out and details the superiority of the tombstone piledriver, and thus the match is set, Punkdriver versus the Tombstone at Wrestlemania.

And because Harry demanded it, Piledriver on a pole match.

Penguin

Finally watched Punk vrs Cena.

Great match and FUCK at the piledriver. It looks like your basic run of the mill piledriver but for a few seconds I thought Punk just killed Cena.

When was the last time someone did a piledriver on WWE? Did HBK do one during one of his taker matches?

That's part of the appeal.

I hope WWE learns this
One of the reasons table spots do nothing for folks nowadays is because they happen all the time. Avoid them for like half a way and pull it out in a big match and see the difference in reactions.

Same with blood.. think Brock bleeding would have been a stronger story.. if it wasn't like Brock who looks like the Hulk on steroids.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vince being mad at the piledriver is part of the story

Cousteau

Strangely, reading about bad wrestling tv shows with long intervals between commercial breaks and moon sized plot holes, is oddly fascinating.The fact that they happened well over a decade ago only adds to the intrigue.
Think I'll go fix myself a turkey/bacon/swiss sandwich.I liked those back then too.

Top Bottom