• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Striker

Here's a question: How would you feel about the rumble next year being for the title, ala 1992?

I think it would be great, mainly because it would kind of eliminate one of the big issues with the match currently: There's only so many (read: two) people that are actually going to win it and headline Wrestlemania.
They had like 5-6 people that match that were jobbers or low card guys. It was even missing Bret and Mr. Perfect who were injured, and Ultimate Warrior came back a few months later.

But those Rumbles where it is filled with tons of big names is extremely rare. WWE won't have one of those for quite a while now.

I didnt watch RAW last night, and I dont know if it was said, but when Roman kills Bryan, he should cut a promo to all the boos and say "Didn't mean to Reign on your parade.."

jmdajr

They don't have to accept it. People will continue to watch. Let them tell their story.

Also I find it fun that WWE is managing kayfabe here and how - Triple H really alluded to a lot of it. You being mad at WWE itself (and countless others being mad as well) truly IS all part of the plan.

I don't know if WWE is that smart to use reverse psychology, but it could be like the Howard Stern thing. People hated him and still listened..just to hear what he said next.

If the fans are pissed off will they watch more..or less? I mean originally people watched because they hated kayfabe bad guys get their ass kicked, but now they watch because they legitimately hate the creative team??? and want to see what they do next?

Again, it's more likely a scenario of fucking things up and constantly fixing them. But who knows. End result is the same.

kiguel182

It isn't set in stone that he would face other jobbers. A jobber loses in less than 5 minutes, so give them say, a 12 minute match. Surely there wouldn't be any complaints about jobbing if it was a good match. Alot of the cynicism of the way a cruiserweight division would work out seems to be less about what it could be and rather what the WWE would make it.

Nah, I don't agree either way.

Doesn't matterr the length of the match. What it matters is that it's a limiter to those guys. It says "because of your size you are not main-event material". WWE isn't a real sport so I know they aren't there for competitive reasons.

Unless you book it like UFC where each weight class main-events PPVs and is made a big deal off then it screams "midcard for life" and of course it will never be booked this way.

So just use the IC strap to do what you are saying. There's no need at all for an artificial weight class.

jmdajr

Tackling this Fuck Reigns we love Bryan issue with a 1 on 1 match the right thing to do. Just take on the problem head on and just deal with however the fans react.

Where is the PPV?

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Don't go working yourselves into a shoot, marks.

I'm sorry, I just really fucking love that Hogan tweet so, so much.
P3XEQpO.jpg

Verendus

Banned
I'd just like to point out the injustice of the fans, The Authority, the jabroni marks, and how Roman Reigns has yet to falter in the face of all this adversity.

UberTag

Also I find it fun that WWE is managing kayfabe here and how - Triple H really alluded to a lot of it. You being mad at WWE itself (and countless others being mad as well) truly IS all part of the plan.
Until fans start holding them accountable for that approach, I can't fault the WWE for pursuing it. Just like I can't fault Ubisoft for churning out essentially the same game 4 times a year so long as people keep buying them in record numbers. In many ways, marketing and fostering an indentured loyalty in your brand trumps everything - be it workrate, giving your consumers what they say they want, logical storylines, competent commentary or anything else.

Tackling this Fuck Reigns we love Bryan issue with a 1 on 1 match the right thing to do. Just take on the problem head on and just deal with however the fans react.

Where is the PPV?
Memphis

Toki767

Where is the PPV?

Memphis. It used to be a pretty major wrestling city, so Reigns is probably screwed.

WWE will see who gets the bigger reactions going into Fast Lane by making Bryan and Reigns fight. Will the guy that has been given every opportunity to succeed in Reigns, including keeping the shield entrance, being allowed to cuss, never losing(he lost last night by interference, but that was his first singles loss ever in WWE, atleast since separating from the shield), and being made to always look strong or the guy that has had to fight his way up against announcers burying him, being fired twice, always losing, and always being made to look like a geek. Who will the fans choose?

Paracelsus

Memphis. It used to be a pretty major wrestling city, so Reigns is probably screwed.

Don't know. Didn't people boo Bryan yesterday after that worked shoot right after the match?

SEE? NOW WE TAKE HIM DOWN BECAUSE YOU WANT ME TO GO TO WRESTLEMANIA, RIGHT?

I think they may have found the crack in the wall.

Toki767

Don't know. Didn't people boo Bryan yesterday after that worked shoot right after the match?

Denver is pretty different from Memphis. I don't think there were ever any major wrestling promotions in Denver.

I say do a screw job finish at Fastlane, make the Mania match a 4 way and then put the belt on Rollins. Then build up a respect feud between Bryan/Reigns as they both chase Rollins for the gold. Get both guys over and build Rollins to be a strong as hell champion.

Nah, I don't agree either way.

Doesn't matterr the length of the match. What it matters is that it's a limiter to those guys. It says "because of your size you are not main-event material". WWE isn't a real sport so I know they aren't there for competitive reasons.

Unless you book it like UFC where each weight class main-events PPVs and is made a big deal off then it screams "midcard for life" and of course it will never be booked this way.

So just use the IC strap to do what you are saying. There's no need at all for an artificial weight class.

Perhaps I am being idealistic about a cruiserweight division. I know that size is a stigma in pro wrestling and under current management and hell even future management we would probably never see something like a cruiserweight belt main event a PPV. Most of my desire stems from WCW and japanese junior divisions.

As for putting the IC belt in that position, ideally I would have the IC belt winners be booked in a way that would "test" if their ready for the main event, since they would be exposed more and have more mic time. And let's be honest, there's a chunk of guys who are never going to have "it," but are still talented enough to be used otherwise.

UberTag

I say do a screw job finish at Fastlane, make the Mania match a 4 way and then put the belt on Rollins. Then build up a respect feud between Bryan/Reigns as they both chase Rollins for the gold. Get both guys over and build Rollins to be a strong as hell champion.
Putting the belt on Rollins remains an option no matter what match plan they go into Mania with so long as he has the briefcase. I like your idea a lot, though. Would help Reigns a ton.

Verendus

Banned
There ain't no mark
Can hold my boy down
There ain't no mark
Can hold my boy down

When he hears that ring bell sound
He's gonna walk right through the crowd
Ain't no mark
Can hold my boy down

Kaladin

Friends....hear me.

WWE saw the spectacle of the Raw After Mania and made it into a spectacle they create and promote.

WWE also saw the spectacle of the Yes movement and how the fans directed them to the product they wanted at Mania.

Do you guys not think that Roman Reigns being booked as the Rumble winner is working into them trying to book the fans into a frenzy AND therefore duplicating the success of last year's Mania on their own?

They see something happen spontaneously and then try to recreate it themselves. I guarantee Roman winning the rumble was meant to incite reaction from the fans because they want to be able to have that kind of reaction but in a controlled environment where they have planned story angles directed by where the crowd reaction goes.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of that reaction. Even Meltzer didn't bring it up, and it was my big take away from the show. Vince was probably cackling like a maniac when he heard dem boos.
Anything other than a 1-on-1 match is going to depend on if Lesnar stays. They aren't throwing away the Streak rub.

jmdajr

Well right now Reigns has become a punching bag with no redeeming qualities.

On one hand you kind of feel bad for him, but it's also..if you can't stand the heat, etc.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Perhaps I am being idealistic about a cruiserweight division. I know that size is a stigma in pro wrestling and under current management and hell even future management we would probably never see something like a cruiserweight belt main event a PPV. Most of my desire stems from WCW and japanese junior divisions.

As for putting the IC belt in that position, ideally I would have the IC belt winners be booked in a way that would "test" if their ready for the main event, since they would be exposed more and have more mic time. And let's be honest, there's a chunk of guys who are never going to have "it," but are still talented enough to be used otherwise.
I've always seen the junior in those divisions to reflect status and rank rather than weight class.(think junior/senior)

Was that just me, or did it mean something totally different?

Toki767

Friends....hear me.

WWE saw the spectacle of the Raw After Mania and made it into a spectacle they create and promote.

WWE also saw the spectacle of the Yes movement and how the fans directed them to the product they wanted at Mania.

Do you guys not think that Roman Reigns being booked as the Rumble winner is working into them trying to book the fans into a frenzy AND therefore duplicating the success of last year's Mania on their own?

They see something happen spontaneously and then try to recreate it themselves. I guarantee Roman winning the rumble was meant to incite reaction from the fans because they want to be able to have that kind of reaction but in a controlled environment where they have planned story angles directed by where the crowd reaction goes.

You would be giving Vince McMahon way too much credit there. Not even Triple H gave him that much credit last night.

I had no idea there was really a Chyna gangbang video out there. There is one of her with 9 guys with one pretending to be Iron Shiek, one is Mene Gene, one is John Cena, there is a Rock, etc. I watched a few of her videos and all of them are horrible. She is a horrible lay and the guys seemingly can't stay hard while banging her.

UberTag

I've always seen the junior in those divisions to reflect status and rank rather than weight class.(think junior/senior)

Rey-Mysterio2.jpg

I still see the word "Heavyweight" embedded in that big gold belt Mysterio's holding up with his name on it.
Clearly it's not just you.

Historically yes, junior divisions in Japan referred to weight. NJPW however has recently booked their junior division as more of a "stepping stone," which is unfortunate.

Yakuza 4 is free on PS+ today, I've never played the other games and know nothing about the series. Do I download it?

It has a series recap which explains everything you need to know about the plot when it comes to previous games. However the beginning is slow and the game is very japanese (I mean culturally, not as some weird synonym for perverted) so if that doesn't appeal to you then I suppose not. Then again it's free so just do it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yakuza 4 is free on PS+ today, I've never played the other games and know nothing about the series. Do I download it?

Yes. It's a great game and there's pretty comprehensive recap videos for Yakuza 1-3 included that do a great job of filling you in on what you missed.

Kaladin

You would be giving Vince McMahon way too much credit there. Not even Triple H gave him that much credit last night.

I could see Stephanie do it as head of creative and get Vince to sign off on it. Think about it...if you had something big like the Yes Movement happen before your eyes and change the shape of the product. Wouldn't you want to try and capture that same emotion again, but in an environment you controlled?

Think about who Roman was in the final four with....Big Show, Kane and Dean Ambrose. We can even through Rusev in this conversation.....no one who would ultimately be hurt by being thrown out by Reigns. There was one person the crowd would get behind, and he left the Rumble quickly, to test the waters and see what kind of reaction they would get.

Trust me friends.....they were smiling when they heard the boos at the Rumble....smiling and celebrating.

jmdajr

Roman Reigns’ loss to Big Show on Monday Night Raw this week was the first time in his WWE career that the soon-to-be WrestleMania main-eventer was pinned in singles competition.

Hmmmm.

edit:Prior to Monday night, his last pinfall loss in a one-on-one match was in 2012, when Reigns lost to Leo Kruger (now Adam Rose) in FCW.

I could see Stephanie do it as head of creative and get Vince to sign off on it. Think about it...if you had something big like the Yes Movement happen before your eyes and change the shape of the product. Wouldn't you want to try and capture that same emotion again, but in an environment you controlled?

Think about who Roman was in the final four with....Big Show, Kane and Dean Ambrose. We can even through Rusev in this conversation.....no one who would ultimately be hurt by being thrown out by Reigns. There was one person the crowd would get behind, and he left the Rumble quickly, to test the waters and see what kind of reaction they would get.

Trust me friends.....they were smiling when they heard the boos at the Rumble....smiling and celebrating.
Ahahahahhahaha

Roman Reigns’ loss to Big Show on Monday Night Raw this week was the first time in his WWE career that the soon-to-be WrestleMania main-eventer was pinned in singles competition.

Hmmmm.
And it was off a chokeslam, right? Not even the punch that barely anyone has kicked out of. Pretty hilarious.

Top Bottom