• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

I'm still trying to understand how Reigns proved anything.

Is looking good the only requirement to main event mania?
I enjoyed when Trips talked about him last night "Sometimes fans get this idea in their head that we are 'pushing' someone." Big Show made him look strong last night.

Cagey

Banned
He was written to win the Royal Rumble. What did he mean was "what has he done to convince the writers he deserved such writing"

Balls, Austin was more ready for the title in 97 than he was in 98.
I know what he meant and it's a bad question symptomatic of problems with today's fans.

UberTag

O50PiXb.gif

Best news all day.
I sort of want to see Slater wrestle under his Clem Layfield persona.

jmdajr

Is Reigns more or less deserving than Diesel or Big Show?

I think this would be less of an issue if he was a heel. He could fast track like Sheamus and Del Rio, and no one would think it's a problem.
Because fuck Cena!

Verendus

Banned
Crowd still behind Roman Reigns. Do you know why? Because they still balee.

Shameful behaviour by people upset at this truth. Just shameful.

kiguel182

He did win Superstar of the year!

Well fair enough. He also beat Orton that one time.

He won the Royal Rumble.

Kayfabe wise, sure. But kayfabe wise Bryan also is owned a rematch so he also should get a chance at it.

I enjoyed when Trips talked about him last night "Sometimes fans get this idea in their head that we are 'pushing' someone." Big Show made him look strong last night.

The talk about Reigns was the worst part of the interview. He just circled around the question. "It's not about working hard or anything".

Sephzilla

Yeah, the Reigns part was definitely the weak part of that interview. Trips was totally dancing around the fact that the fans at the Rumble saw through all of that shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno folks

I get the feeling as a bunch of wrestling fans, we can't possibly legitimately tell anyone who deserves what

We deserve a shovel ful of shit. I can say that much confidently. So buckle up, Teddy.

Striker

Kayfabe wise, sure. But kayfabe wise Bryan also is owned a rematch so he also should get a chance at it.
Was Orton ever given a re-match from that 'Mania? Should note I hate how these feuds/matches last several months so we see the same stuff months on end.

Here's a question: How would you feel about the rumble next year being for the title, ala 1992?

I think it would be great, mainly because it would kind of eliminate one of the big issues with the match currently: There's only so many (read: two) people that are actually going to win it and headline Wrestlemania.

Toki767

He also tried to downplay Bryan's lack of a push saying fans are coming up with theories about why he isn't getting pushed as the main guy even though everyone knows why he isn't getting pushed as the main guy.

The first 15-20 minutes of the interview was pretty cringeworthy. It did get better later on though.

jmdajr

Well the working hard I understand. It's like in Monsters University where Mike worked hard at beings scary but it didn't matter. The fucker was not scary no matter what.

So working hard will get you results from some and not others.

Still, the not having the right look bias is a problem. It shouldn't matter if the guy can perform in the ring and be charismatic too. Ugly dudes can score chicks too man.

Cagey

Banned
Bryan should get a title shot independent of the Rumble storywise.

Deserve is weird. Wrestling is entertainment. I don't care who deserves something based on work rate or putting in dues. I want entertainment. If that syncs up with a guy "deserving it", awesome. If not, and it's still entertaining, the latter is all that matters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer the Rumble being for a title opportunity, not a title. If it's a title, it's even more telegraphed on certain tiers.

If anything, I think we need a mid-year Rumble. It'd take away from the fun of the January one, but it could be far more believable. Much like having 2 MITB matches was nice because someone you didn't expect wins it more often.

Streaming Progress Chapter 13 thru my Xbox one and thus far I'm enjoying it immensely. Do they have a big cult following online like a ROH, CZW, Evolve? Only thing I dislike so far is the tiny looking ring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Streaming Progress Chapter 13 thru my Xbox one and thus far I'm enjoying it immensely. Do they have a big cult following online like a ROH, CZW, Evolve? Only thing I dislike so far is the tiny looking ring.

Small cult following. I loved PROGRESS 13 a lot. There's not a lot of us that enjoy it, but we enjoy it with a fever and the only prescription is another PROGRESS show.

Who are the standouts you really enjoy watching?

Paracelsus

I know what he meant and it's a bad question symptomatic of problems with today's fans.

No it's not. Straight from the Nose's mouth, in Punk's dvd

“The title doesn’t make the guy, the guy makes the title…the guys who have a long-term value in that role are the guys that are there not because of that Championship. They get that Championship because they are there.”

Reigns doesn't even deserve to be the Batista in an Evolution.

kiguel182

Bryan should get a title shot independent of the Rumble storywise.

Deserve is weird. Wrestling is entertainment. I don't care who deserves something based on work rate or putting in dues. I want entertainment. If that syncs up with a guy "deserving it", awesome. If not, and it's still entertaining, the latter is all that matters.

I agree with that. I'm not saying this guy deserves because he works hard, I'm saying someone deserves it because it makes sense story wise.

What sense does it make Reigns vs Lesnar? What's the story? None.

Reigns barely did anything as a singles wrestler and then, out of nowhere, main-events Mania. Is just a sloppy story because he looks good.

Heroman

Banned
honestly I dont care about the story reasons or whether someone deserves it or not all I want is a good match and that some reigns hasnt sold me yet.

Sephzilla

The one thing that it feels like WWE refuses to accept is just that if they would have given Reigns one more year and in the meantime actually given the most over guy on the roster the proper Road to WrestleMania push, this whole thing wouldn't have happened. It's one of those situations where the most predictable outcome was still the best outcome to go with.

Verendus

Banned
I'm looking forward to Reigns vs. Bryan. I balee Reigns will win, but it's a match I didn't expect. And certainly not at a PPV like Fast Lane.

Baby girls will protect the Roman Empire.

jmdajr

What is Vince's chart for what's important in a wrestler?

1) Looks
2) Charisma
3) Promo ability
4) Work rate

Where would he rank something like... dependability?

Sephzilla

What is Vince's chart for what's important in a wrestler?

1) Looks
2) Charisma
3) Promo ability
4) Work rate

Where would he rank something like... dependability?

Low considering the champ is someone who already walked away from the company once and might again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing that it feels like WWE refuses to accept is just that if they would have given Reigns one more year and in the meantime actually given the most over guy on the roster the proper Road to WrestleMania push, this whole thing wouldn't have happened. It's one of those situations where the most predictable outcome was still the best outcome to go with.

They don't have to accept it. People will continue to watch. Let them tell their story.

Also I find it fun that WWE is managing kayfabe here and how - Triple H really alluded to a lot of it. You being mad at WWE itself (and countless others being mad as well) truly IS all part of the plan.

Small cult following. I loved PROGRESS 13 a lot. There's not a lot of us that enjoy it, but we enjoy it with a fever and the only prescription is another PROGRESS show.

Who are the standouts you really enjoy watching?

Previously because of this thread I had YouTube'd clips of various guys but this is going to be the first complete show I've seen. On match 2 at the moment but I thought Rampage Brown looked solid in the 1st match. Robbie X vs Pete Dunne has thus far been fun and well executed.

kiguel182

One year would've made wonders for Reigns. Especially at what is probably going to be the biggest Mania yet.

Sephzilla

They don't have to accept it. People will continue to watch. Let them tell their story.

Also I find it fun that WWE is managing kayfabe here and how - Triple H really alluded to a lot of it. You being mad at WWE itself (and countless others being mad as well) truly IS all part of the plan.

But their story is shit right now and they could be telling a much better one.

I really don't believe its "all part of the plan". That sounds like more spin-doctoring stuff in order to justify Reigns.

Against other jobbers? And without ever closing a show or being a focal point of it?

It isn't set in stone that he would face other jobbers. A jobber loses in less than 5 minutes, so give them say, a 12 minute match. Surely there wouldn't be any complaints about jobbing if it was a good match. Alot of the cynicism of the way a cruiserweight division would work out seems to be less about what it could be and rather what the WWE would make it.

Verendus

Banned
One year would've made wonders for Reigns. Especially at what is probably going to be the biggest Mania yet.
It's fine. Reigns can beat either Cena, Rock, or even Daniel Bryan in the main event of Wrestlemania 32. There are plenty of options there to elevate him even further.

kiguel182

If it's part of the plan then it doesn't work for me. I won't give them my money and that's what I care about.

I'll give money to a product that makes me happy and that's ultimately what I care about.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But their story is shit.

You're really wrapped up in it, posting about it, and this thread (and last month's) has been at a breakneck pace. I think they're doing just fine.

It's all a work. Why wouldn't it be? WWE itself is the "heel GM" to "smarks" who are being worked as well. Everyone on the inside is aware. WWE has managers to manage how these things grow and report on things and they react accordingly.

Your legit frustration with WWE is all a part of the plan. I promise.

Sephzilla

You're really wrapped up in it, posting about it, and this thread (and last month's) has been at a breakneck pace. I think they're doing just fine.

It's all a work. Why wouldn't it be? WWE itself is the "heel GM" to "smarks" who are being worked as well. Everyone on the inside is aware. WWE has managers to manage how these things grow and report on things and they react accordingly.

Your legit frustration with WWE is all a part of the plan. I promise.

I really doubt it. That's like trying to say that Daniel Bryan was always in the WM30 main event plan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really doubt it. That's like trying to say that Daniel Bryan was always in the WM30 main event plan.

He was! Didn't you read that story that shitty ol' whatever, Bleacher Report did? With Bryan on strings?

Top Bottom