• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Welcome To The New Era (Beta Version 1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
AJ was able to get over and create a character on main WWE. It's just that you need to actually fight for that spot ten times as hard as a good male would need to.

It's like being a small guy in WWE, but even harder, but not undoable.

In their case, I suppose it helps that there's at least 3 of them, if not more, coming up at the same time and so they have good people to work with on a regular basis.

No Cameron vs. AJ Lee on PPV for Paige, Bayley and Emma... I hope! Lets watch some Bayley vs AJ: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13htq0_wwe-nxt-2013-08-21-bayley-vs-aj-lee_sport

Sblargh

Banned
Rewatching NXT ArRIVAL, and in span of one minute in Zayn/Cesaro the commentary team calls an exploder suplex, Blue Thunder bomb, Koji clutch and stretch muffler. It's refreshing.

I don't know what they think ignoring moves on the main roster does, it doesn't make it more "accessible" it just makes the commentators look clueless and untrained.

Speaking of it, what is the name of Paige's submission at the end of her match?

Just an incredible show. Paige is just so goddam gorgeous. Not feeling the lipstick. Only thing fake about her is her eyebrows. Had the best women's match put on by The E in The Cena era. Her and Emma could definitwly get over. Trips needs to push ghem on ghe main roater, look afyer them, tell commentators to shit up. Adrian Neville is a star. The Ascension, Bo Dallas and Mojo Rawley are just fucking completely awful. Im not looking forward to Mojo's push on ghe main roater in two years or Rusev's over the summee. Wasted potential by not showing Corey Graves, Bailey, Solomon Crowe or Enzo Amore.
Will order Paige's shirt. Emma not p though....

Kaladin

I said last night that submission was pure Death Ray, I actually think that match had Sara Del Rey's influence all over it.

Last night, everybody got to see what indie wrestling fans have been raving about for the past years on a larger scale than any indie can hope to produce.

XenoRaven

When Emma and Paige start wrestling on the main roster, they will need to either wrestle against each other, Summer Rae, AJ, or Natalya and that's it. No one else. And no "can't show up the boys" bullshit.

Aiii

So not worth it
When Emma and Paige start wrestling on the main roster, they will need to either wrestle against each other, Summer Rae, AJ, or Natalya and that's it. No one else. And no "can't show up the boys" bullshit.

5 people are more than enough for the women's division. No need to have 10 people in there with only one segment per show available to them.

Plus Bayley, so six.

Kaladin

As much as people talk about the wrestling last night, I can't say enough about the presentation.....and that's college students running the program. Those kids need to be called up to the main roster ASAP.

Not to be picky, but Regal called it the Scorpion Cross Lock, which just sounds so much cooler.

With Leather results dubbed it the Rampaige, but I don't know if that's the official name or not.

Ithil

Not to be picky, but Regal called it the Scorpion Cross Lock, which just sounds so much cooler.

With Leather results dubbed it the Rampaige, but I don't know if that's the official name or not.

The Rampaige was the name of her cradle DDT finisher, which was much better than the Paige Turner which lacks impact and is awkward to set up.

Aiii

So not worth it
Guys, watching 96 WCW made me realise how cool a move the Texas Cloverleaf was, I remember Dean taught it to someone in WWE, but can't for the life of me remember who it was, who?

Ithil

They really gave Adrian Neville the ball yesterday. New theme song, big hype package for him, and a new "theme" for his entrance and titantron, which seems to be a sort of computer scan/analysis thing, which looks pretty cool.

He's got all the wrestling skills one could need, but while he's improved at talking and showboating he needs to get a whole lot better if he's going to be a star beyond the mid card. I hope he really throws himself into the role of NXT champion and does as much to improve as possible, I want to see him succeed.

Ithil

All its three marquee matches delivered, it had a MOTY candidate, gave great introductions and hype to its biggest prospects and champions, had great commentary and production, and was entirely focused on the matches and wrestlers.

Given it's supposed to be a developmental show, the training ground for the "big leagues", I would say yeah, it was pretty great.

Aiii

So not worth it
Last night, everybody got to see what indie wrestling fans have been raving about for the past years on a larger scale than any indie can hope to produce.

Missed this, you are somewhat correct. But it's quite obvious WWE's training definitely has positive influence on these wrestlers. Plus the obvious difference in sheer production quality (like not having lights directly in your camera), from which the indies could really learn a lesson.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Arrival wasn't THAT good.

Minus the CJ Parker-Mojo Rawley match and the Rusev squash (Which I couldn't see because of network issues.), that show was the best thing I've seen in a while. The presentation (Commentary in particular.) & match quality really kept me glued to my chair for the whole time. It was THAT good.

I did want an Enzo and Big Cass segment though.

You're just mad the crowd made fun of Batista!

I love that Batista's return has forced fans to up the creativity in their chants. Bootista and Better Than Batista are two amazing chants.

Ithil

Missed this, you are somewhat correct. But it's quite obvious WWE's training definitely has positive influence on these wrestlers. Plus the obvious difference in sheer production quality (like not having lights directly in your camera), from which the indies could really learn a lesson.

The Sami/Cesaro match greatly benefited from WWE's slower pace, but it didn't go too slow as to drag, it went at an ideal pace. It also ended up helping that many of the moves do not get done in regular matches.

It's what HHH was talking about in his NXT conference call, when asked for advice for indie wrestlers, and he said that while the huge moves are impressive, if there's no story, it's like those big 200 million dollar summer blockbusters with amazing special effects, but the film is crap because there's no substance or story. Slow down and use the big moves properly. None of the shit AR Fox does.

strobogo

Banned
I think Cena is a lot more likable and human on Total Divas. Guy has OCD and has been living his lifestyle for so long that he doesn't even know how to have a normal relationship outside of wrestling anymore. It's sad.

The way I see it, NXT is the culmination of:
A motivated and hungry leader (HHH wanting to run an indie, but also use it to get everyone truly TV ready and prepare for the future)
A motivated and hungry talent roster
A motivated and hungry production crew (students who paid a whole hell of a lot of money to go to Full Sail, so they get credit and true working experience in it)
And money.

Money's kind of the important one here :p

RE: Lights in cameras, to avoid that you need to be able to hoist/hang a rectangular or circular light truss to the rafters of the venue you're in, which approximately zero indies have the budget to do that, or run in places that allow it.

So we blowin it out!

Ithil

Actually the Sami/Cesaro match reminded me more of a high level NJPW match. A faster pace than standard WWE and more big moves, but still much slower and more measured than a stereotypical US indies match. They even had two fighting spirit spots.

McNei1y

I really need to see the Cesaro vs Zayn match in HD. I watched on some shaky cam quality on youtube... but damn it was awesome from what I saw. Zayn's selling was incredible. He was BROKEN IN HALF

Ithil

The way I see it, NXT is the culmination of:
A motivated and hungry leader (HHH wanting to run an indie, but also use it to get everyone truly TV ready and prepare for the future)
A motivated and hungry talent roster
A motivated and hungry production crew (students who paid a whole hell of a lot of money to go to Full Sail, so they get credit and true working experience in it)
And money.

Money's kind of the important one here :p

RE: Lights in cameras, to avoid that you need to be able to hoist/hang a rectangular or circular light truss to the rafters of the venue you're in, which approximately zero indies have the budget to do that, or run in places that allow it.

So we blowin it out!

Triple H has talked about this, that he tries to keep it in perspective that this is a training ground and meant as a stop gap before the real show, but he does get excited and probably carried away at times with basically running his own promotion.

DiscoJon

Banned
tumblr_mmg8pgdlbF1s37joxo1_250.gif

RHuHq.gif

Ithil

I really need to see the Cesaro vs Zayn match in HD. I watched on some shaky cam quality on youtube... but damn it was awesome from what I saw. Zayn's selling was incredible. He was BROKEN IN HALF

And it's not just about his great bumping, he really looks like he's in pain and struggling to get up. Even stuff like after the punch exchanges and German suplex to Cesaro, before he runs at Cesaro in the corner, he's holding his jaw in pain, from the punch exchange, something that's normally brushed off.
Just really detailed wrestling.

McNei1y

And it's not just about his great bumping, he really looks like he's in pain and struggling to get up. Even stuff like after the punch exchanges and German suplex to Cesaro, before he runs at Cesaro in the corner, he's holding his jaw in pain, from the punch exchange, something that's normally brushed off.
Just really detailed wrestling.

Yeah. I really liked how he (from what I saw on the shitty quality) was holding his mouth too as if a tooth was loose or something from the big boot.

Triple H has talked about this, that he tries to keep it in perspective that this is a training ground and meant as a stop gap before the real show, but he does get excited and probably carried away at times with basically running his own promotion.

It's that kind of enthusiasm that helps NXT way more than it hurts, if it hurts at all!

It's as much a training ground for him as it is the roster, but his training is... A bit longer.

There are a lot more things in play when he runs the real show, but this is him unfiltered. And it's gooooood.

RE: Arrival, Cesaro/Zayn and Emma/Paige both delivered in spades. The rest was meh, but serviceable.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sami zany just crumbling form throne uppercuts was amazing. Then kicking out at 1.
Then getting blasted by another uppercut .

Pure storytelling.

That moment was enhanced so much with the commentary marking out about Sami kicking out at one.

Cole should take notice.

Kaladin

Yes, yes it was.

I agree...my point was, that Arrival was an indie style wrestling show, with the same performance level and a lot of the atmosphere indie fans love, but the skill levels of the wrestlers is above the indie level and production is way beyond what an indie can produce.

I would argue that NXT Arrival made it that much harder for WWE fans to go to the indie product, just because of how well that level of wrestling was produced for the first time last night.

jmdajr

Show last night had a great crowd and atmosphere. Not sure if we will ever get Attitude era levels again, but I feel we are close. More and More older cats showing up.

McNei1y

Show last night had a great crowd and atmosphere. Not sure if we will ever get Attitude era levels again, but I feel we are close. More and More older cats showing up.

I loved the wildness of Attitude crowds. I mean people running around in the stands crazy whenever there was a chair headshot or a Jeff Jarrett guitar shot.

Aiii

So not worth it
I agree...my point was, that Arrival was an indie style wrestling show, with the same performance level and a lot of the atmosphere indie fans love, but the skill levels of the wrestlers is above the indie level and production is way beyond what an indie can produce.

I would argue that NXT Arrival made it that much harder for WWE fans to go to the indie product, just because of how well that level of wrestling was produced for the first time last night.

Oh yeah, definitely. I hope they end up doing one of these every other month or so.

Anyone from wrasslegaf want to hook me up with the current humble indie bundle. I want to try FEZ and the Swapper.

I'd just do it myself but my card wont work on their site.

Will buy you something on steam for whatever the beat the average is. Its around $5. Its always $5.

Sokantish

Anyone from wrasslegaf want to hook me up with the current humble indie bundle. I want to try FEZ and the Swapper.

I'd just do it myself but my card wont work on their site.

Will buy you something on steam for whatever the beat the average is. Its around $5. Its always $5.

I got you

And this is why it will never get that "good" again. It's the same problem Vince had in '93 or so, not being able to let the old era die. Bringing back Hogan, Beefcake, etc.

Once he decided to cut all ties with the '80s, there were a few bad years, but eventually, they found new stars and exploded all over again.

They will never explode again until they stop bringing out HHH, Taker, Cena, Orton, Outlaws, Batista, Big Show, Kane, etc. and start pushing new, fresh guys. The crowd is CLAMORING for guys like Bryan, Punk, etc., yet we still had the goddamn Big Show main eventing PPVs in 2013, and even worse, he was shoehorned into Bryan's program and took his spot.

In a night where just about everyone upped their game and show versatility the pieces of fuxking cunt shit The Ascension were still limited to chops, slaps, punches, rest holds, running into peoples, rest holds, the fall of man and rest holds. Release them already. Brain Christopher wrassled circles arouns them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom