• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Welcome To The New Era (Beta Version 1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

I'm watching Wrestlemania for the Wyatt Family entrance. I might stick around for the rest of it, or I might put on WM17 and then go huddle in a corner and cry.

Ithil

No he's not. He's not getting pushed at all.

What, Batista is going to win the title and drop it in a month? Nobody is gonna get close to that title untill at least July or SummerSlam. It'll be SummerSlam unless Batista is taking some time off for promotion of the Marvel movie in August.

He's in one of the top matches at Wrestlemania with someone the WWE consider one of the biggest stars. He has major screentime and angles every week. He's now talked up on commentary heavily. He's kept strong in matches. He has a new line of merchandise just out that they're promoting a lot.

Just because he's not WWE champion this second doesn't mean he's not getting pushed. Dolph Ziggler isn't getting pushed.
It's not as strong as it should be, but there is a strong push.

Aiii

So not worth it
Do you guys think it's all those Slim Jims that finally made Randy Savage's heart give up?

He's in one of the top matches at Wrestlemania with someone the WWE consider one of the biggest stars. He has major screentime and angles every week. He's now talked up on commentary heavily. He's kept strong in matches. He has a new line of merchandise just out that they're promoting a lot.

Just because he's not WWE champion this second doesn't mean he's not getting push. Dolph Ziggler isn't getting pushed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNJQyXKiqI

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So am I wrong? First time they dim the lights for when he came out.

It's a sign! GIMME MY SPOTLIGHT!

Sunny you play Hearthstone?!

Gimme your tag you swine, I'll bury you with my totally shit decks!

And they combined the spotlight stuff with the pyro since he's been back. I remember noting it when he returned.

Sunflower1718

Do you guys think it's all those Slim Jims that finally made Randy Savage's heart give up?

No. Gorgeous George's vajinga sucked 10 years out of him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Divas matches are there to move more beer and merchandise before the main events bro.

You'd put Batista on last? Stoop that low.

Title match goes on last. Didn't we, one of these years, look at previous Manias and the title match is always on last? Or am I just wrong?

jmdajr

Title match goes on last. Didn't we, one of these years, look at previous Manias and the title match is always on last? Or am I just wrong?

A few off my head that were not title matches

Hogan/Sid
Cena/Rock
HBK/Taker
Piper/Mr. Wonderful vs Hogan/Mr.T
LT vs BamBam

So. They can do it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Well, one of the world titles the previous decade. That saved them a few times when the dominant belt had a shitty feud.

Either way it's happened a ton. Would have happened more if they didn't have two belts recently.

UberTag

The difference between CM Punk and Daniel Bryan is CM Punk was expected to leave in July, after WM, while Daniel Bryan is in the early stages of a new push.
Ummmm... no. This is exactly the same thing.
CM Punk lost to Triple H AFTER renewing his contract. He also had the terrible feud with Kevin Nash AFTER renewing his contract.

CM Punk was not expected to leave for two more years. There is no difference.

Also, from last night's Observer (regarding the WWE Home Video library not being available on the Network during the 7-day trial):

Meltzer: I've been talking to people who do it for UFC and it's the same thing. It's not like you just push a button and it's there. It's a process.

Alvarez: Especially when you have to edit out "Antonio" whenever Cesaro comes to the ring.

Meltzer: Well, they're not going to do that but... <chuckles>

Alvarez: Actually, they did on the NXT show.

Meltzer: <incredulous pause> Did they?

Alvarez: Yeah!

Meltzer: The last NXT show I saw they were still calling Cesaro "Antonio".

Alvarez: Well, apparently the one that's up on the Network, the "Antonio" has been edited off.

Meltzer: Well, I didn't watch it on the Network. I watched it on Hulu. So that's different. But if they put it on the Network and ...

They EDITED out "Antonio"?!? <sigh> Oh god. That is ... I mean, it's like I get it but, I mean, of all the things to worry about. I mean, seriously. That's ... oh my god. It's like they worry about ... like... like... they've got a WrestleMania championship match nobody wants to see and they're spending their time editing "Antonio" out of an NXT show that nobody watches? Oh my god.

Nice. I'll add you guys tonight when I get home.

Prepare to be tackled!

And Bryan is clearly getting pushed, but we want him to have the belt, aka the endgame

On to something more pleasant: for the ROH/NJPW show in the Hammerstein, would I better off getting a lower balcony row 2 seat or a side box seat? It's been ages since I've been to a show there, and I think I just got GA last time.

I went with first row lower balcony seats. I wasn't taking any chances of getting a shitty seat lol

Marvel

could never
Yep, he's gonna beat Triple H to open the show and then work his way into the championship match and win that too. Then he'll run in on the Brock and Undertaker match and DOUBLE KNEE both of them and knock them out. Oh and I forgot he's gonna be the tag team champion after he beats the New Age Outlaws

9/10

Would buy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, Flair vs Perfect was so good. I loved Perfect. Heenan is wonderful in this too.

Raw64life

I can't imagine the last match at Mania being a heel vs. heel title match with neither heel being the kind of heel smarks will cheer for. I mean they HAVE to know the crowd is going to shit all over this right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did Heenan even have a week he wasn't wonderful, at least in WWF? Just always seemed to be on top form.

Not really, no. As wonderful as Heenan is, he fits a very specific timeframe. Mid 90s Heenan doesn't compare to early 90s Heenan in WWF - it just fit the product better.

Vince and Jesse might just be the best. Jesse is so goddamn good at being a shit.

Nameless

You'll have to know that I'm not a fan of Big E either. It doesn't matter how many moves Bray has as he's a promo guy. That's his strength, and I would be fine with him just managing. Brine has plenty more moves than Roman has.

The thing is sig moves are supposed to be highlights. ALL Roman has is signature moves. You can't book main events off big spots. He has zero pacing. He's that kid who plays wrestling games and gives himself max finishers.

Well Reigns is look guy: He looks like a big deal physically, has natural swagger in the ring, and delivers the moves he does have with satisfying impact. That's his strength, and he at least deserves a chance to build upon it.

I know Bryan has plenty of moves. But how many matches is he distilled down to a symphony of dropkicks and spamming the side kick? Rarely does anyone get to display robust movesets, especially in TV matches. While you could very well end up being right about Reigns, until they let him carry matches I don't know how you can come to those conclusions. He's looked fine up against guys who aren't as green as he is.

jred2k

I hope this is Taker's last year. I know it probably won't be, but he's done everything he can. He obviously still gets a huge reaction, but his matches just eat so much time out of the show that could be better spent somewhere else.

I'd really like to see a comparison of Undertaker's and HHH's longest entrances vs. the time allotted to the longest Divas matches. I would guess there has maybe been 1 or 2 women's matches that have gone longer than their longest entrances.

Cagey

Banned
The internet turning on Roman Reigns will be a travesty.

On to something more pleasant: for the ROH/NJPW show in the Hammerstein, would I better off getting a lower balcony row 2 seat or a side box seat? It's been ages since I've been to a show there, and I think I just got GA last time.

GA lower balcony and get there early works fine.

jmdajr

I hope this is Taker's last year. I know it probably won't be, but he's done everything he can. He obviously still gets a huge reaction, but his matches just eat so much time out of the show that could be better spent somewhere else.

I'd really like to see a comparison of Undertaker's and HHH's longest entrances vs. the time allotted to the longest Divas matches. I would guess there has maybe been 1 or 2 women's matches that have gone longer than their longest entrances.

Cena Taker will be the last one. They could even do maybe a Bryan/Taker or Wyatt./Taker before that.

Stone Cold said Taker should retire when mania is at Cowboys Stadium vs John Cena. Retirement match. 100,000 people.

Hasney

May have to pick something out of the archives next, maybe some ECW. Can't be arsed with modern day Superstars.

Glad I haven't had any problems with this on PS4 like some people have had though.

UberTag

Stone Cold said Taker should retire when mania is at Cowboys Stadium vs John Cena. Retirement match. 100,000 people.
Can't wait until Cena ends the streak to retire Taker.
It'll be either him or Reigns. I'm actually leaning more towards Reigns unless he completely flops apart from The Shield.

It's the match I most want to see personally. I want to see Bray beat Cena clean like he did Bryan.

Man that would be great.
It's nice to want things. The fact that they wasted no time setting up the "Cena overcomes the odds" aspect of this feud should tell you otherwise.

Cagey

Banned
He's always been the worst wrestler and Dean just got hotter than him in the past couple of months, we'll be fine.

The worst of that group is still worlds better than much of the roster, but he's very entertaining in a way that smarks aren't predisposed to like unless the performer is in the super-cool-heel role.

Internet kinda sucks.

Marvel

could never
It's nice to want things. The fact that they wasted no time setting up the "Cena overcomes the odds" aspect of this feud should tell you otherwise.

Nope.

dO5kWDL.jpg

lol.

The worst of that group is still worlds better than much of the roster, but he's very entertaining in a way that smarks aren't predisposed to like unless the performer is in the super-cool-heel role.

Internet kinda sucks.

I thought Daniel Bryan's universal popularity finally disproved this bullshit?

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I can't imagine the last match at Mania being a heel vs. heel title match with neither heel being the kind of heel smarks will cheer for. I mean they HAVE to know the crowd is going to shit all over this right?

Despite the stupidity of the match itself, I can see where that would be a conscious effort.

If you put it on earlier, there's no way for fans to have a small glimmer of hope that Bryan can still be inserted(I doubt that would even happen during the actual mania, but some people will still believe.), not to mention that the match could be so bad it brings the remaining card down, so that's not exactly a risk worth taking.

But I think the main reason why they would put that match at the end is because it's the title, and right now, the title needs anything it can get when it comes to having prestige. The WWE has done a bang up job when it comes to making the belt not really matter, be it the 12 second title reigns from 2007-2010, Punk being shafted for Cena in 2011-2012, and Rock walking right in to win the belt immediately in 2013. Now they started realizing this in 2012, and that's why they gave Punk a really long title reign. Starting near the end of 2012, the belt went on last for all pay-per-views. And since Wrestlemania 29, the belt has always been the main focus of RAWs major storyline.

And quite honestly, despite the wrestlers in the main event, I too, want the belt to be in the main event. If the belt means you are the best wrestler in the business, than make sure you book it that way. And the only way to do that is to make it the main event for all PPVs. ALL of them.

Cagey

Banned
I thought Daniel Bryan's universal popularity finally disproved this bullshit?

Your bolding misinterpreted my post.

he's very entertaining in a way that smarks aren't predisposed to like unless the performer is in the super-cool-heel role.

The implication isn't that it's "heel or bust" for the "smark" crowd, but that the "smark crowd" isn't typically going to like a wrestler with the powerhouse style of Reigns (or Sheamus) unless they're heels. Exceptions to the rule exist, of course, but they don't disprove the rule.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
-- Batista will cut a promo on SmackDown this week telling the world what he really thinks. It's being billed as "Batista Unlashed & Uncensored."

Aw yeah

No he's not. He's not getting pushed at all.

What, Batista is going to win the title and drop it in a month? Nobody is gonna get close to that title untill at least July or SummerSlam. It'll be SummerSlam unless Batista is taking some time off for promotion of the Marvel movie in August.

He'll be walking around with the belt for those promos

DMczaf

-- Batista will cut a promo on SmackDown this week telling the world what he really thinks. It's being billed as "Batista Unlashed & Uncensored."

Aw yeah

He's going to cut Cena's planned promo for next week. Get ready for Preacher Batista. And then Hood Batista. And then ANGRY BATISTA.

Scottify

Who else, besides Orton, has had a beef with Batista that could interject some life into his return? I can't think of anyone...

Didn't you hear that one guy last night yelling "You Suck" at D-Bry during his promo last night?

HE'S GOTTA BE FROM THE INTERNET!

I just assumed that was jmdajr stanning for Triple H

Your bolding misinterpreted my post.

The implication isn't that it's "heel or bust" for the "smark" crowd, but that the "smark crowd" isn't typically going to like a wrestler with the powerhouse style of Reigns (or Sheamus) unless they're heels. Exceptions to the rule exist, of course, but they don't disprove the rule.

Again, I don't think this is even remotely true and there's some serious bias going on if you think it even approaches the rule. Sheamus has never been disliked for his style, he's a damn good hoss. People dislike Sheamus because his character is basically if a douchey 11 year old Shazam'd himself into a big Irish man.

Mark Henry is well liked post Hall of Pain, sure we liked him more as a cool heel but he just hit the perfect character strides. Liking him more as one thing doesn't negate the other.

Big E is still liked despite looking evergreen in his recent matches.

Further to that, it's remarkably stupid and lazy to treat the IWC as thought it's a hivemind. There are things that the majority will dislike more/less than what the company is intending, but that's because we have eyeballs and earballs and pay enough attention to form an opinion.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Total Divas S2 "spoilers"

Eva Marie starts up a friendship with new cast member Summer, who both bond over being the new girl. Eva Marie, who's becoming more and more popular with WWE fans, also secretly eloped with her boyfriend and her family is not going to be too thrilled when they find that out. Brie, meanwhile, is planning her wedding to Daniel Bryan, which is getting overshadowed by her twin sister, Nikki, whose on a break with her ex, John Cena.

As for Nattie? She's going to be in the center of lots of the feuds this season, one with Summer (Nattie doesn't like how quickly she's risen to fame), and another with Ariane, who confronts Nattie about acting inappropriate at the Bella twins' birthday party. Uh oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom