• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukinari

Honestly after all the horror stories over the years from GDQ im not even shocked by this kind of stuff anymore. Its like nobody gives a shit when they attend these events.

MUnited83

For you.
Lol oh to be young. You need to use the word because you condemn the subject of the article to being guilty before all the facts get out there. In this case the guy admitted fault but if he was innocent you would be a giant asshole for automatically condemning someone as guilty without all the facts. That's why you use the word alleged

"Lol oh to be young " and "wait for all the facts" on a thread where we already know the dude admitted to it. For someone trying to be condescending by telling people they must be young, one would think you're old enough to know how to read at least.

Have you ever been blackout drunk before, like to the point that you legitimately can't remember what happened the night before? He might know what he did is wrong after the fact but (if he's telling the truth) then he has no recollection of the event itself.

Not that that's an excuse. I personally avoid heavy drinking because I know that I become a bit of a motherfucker once I black out. Luckily I don't sexually assault people, just fight them. =P

I'm not addressing the drunkenness of the person, because getting drunk can't be an excuse. Drunkenness is a privilege, and you assume all responsibility for what you do while drunk. So while yes, he probably wasn't aware of his actions, in hindsight he demonstrated that he understood them, and in his decision to get -that- drunk, he definitely assumed responsibility.

Alavard

When did I? I said We know nothing about him and that he could have psychological issues. That's the comment people are acting like immature children about.

Do you jump in with suggestions of psychological issues in response to reports on every crime, or just sexual assaults on women?

mtodavk

Not that it's an excuse for his actions, he should know better than to allow himself to reach that point. Just saying that it's not necessarily a given that he consciously committed these acts.

He made the decision to drink as much as he did. Drunkenness shouldn't even be part of the discussion. He needs to be punished for what he ultimately chose to do and he needs to receive help when he's there.

BigDug13

Have you ever been blackout drunk before, like to the point that you legitimately can't remember what happened? He might know what he did is wrong after the fact but (if he's telling the truth) then he has no recollection of the event itself.

Not that it's an excuse for his actions, he should know better than to allow himself to reach that point. Just saying that it's not necessarily a given that he consciously committed these acts.

I've been blackout drunk before, lots of times actually, and I've never crawled into bed with some chick and started putting my hand up her shirt and down her pants. nothing even close. Like that's WTF levels of assault. I firmly believe that what you do when you're blackout drunk are all things you are capable of doing when you're stone cold sober and it's judgement that keeps you from doing those things sober. If you're doing those things drunk, you have a warped sense of desires and boundaries.

petran79

Banned
the irony is that Smash is perhaps the only fighting game where female characters are treated equally and modestly, without any fanservice or boobs or underage innuendo

diaspora

Whenever I've gone to political conventions I've usually saved money by rooming with several other people (like 8 people in a 2-bed room), but when stumbling or carried in blackout drunk I haven't actually crawled into bed with any of the women I'm rooming with and molested them, let alone twice. The only reason alcohol is in the discussion at all is because he's citing it not because any idiot thinks it's a legitimate reason.

diaspora

not gonna lie, something about this is really humorous

I mean, it's pretty par for the course. Liberals have both the best discourse and the best liquor industry hospitality suites. The worst thing I know has happened thus far is a guy got blasted and punched a security guard.

the irony is that Smash is perhaps the only fighting game where female characters are treated equally and modestly, without any fanservice or boobs or underage innuendo

That's got nothing to do with anything. You saying a street fighter player is more likely to pull this shit cus their game has more skin on show? C'mon man.

Lynx_7

If a drunken husband beat up his wife and children and then blamed it on the alchohol, I'm pretty sure most people would agree he is in no way justified or excused for his actions. If you're old enough to be drinking in the first place then have some fucking self-control and know your limits ffs.
I hope Vikki can put this behind her and not let it affect her enjoyment of the game or the scene. I also hope Hyuga finds some help and wish no harm upon him.

bannedjlkfh.png

Real talk, is this even a thing? I live in Brazil and tried looking into whether there are any known Smash or FGC community at all where I live (Rio de Janeiro) but have had no such luck finding anything.

Audioboxer

Whenever I've gone to political conventions I've usually saved money by rooming with several other people (like 8 people in a 2-bed room), but when stumbling or carried in blackout drunk I haven't actually crawled into bed with any of the women I'm rooming with and molested them, let alone twice. The only reason alcohol is in the discussion at all is because he's citing it not because any idiot thinks it's a legitimate reason.

Yeah the only thing I'd do is fall asleep on the floor or in the bathtub or something.

This guy is a fucking asshole, and deserves to be prosecuted for sexual assault.

Korezo

I'm stuck at the part where the boyfriend is in the same bed and room but never notices anything??? Was he blacked out drunk to?

Yeah this never happened. I said he could have mental issues so it doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad person. And I 100% stick to that.

We don't need to figure out whether or not he's a Bad Person, all we need is to know that he did a horrific thing, and deserves to be called out for it, and punished, if necessary.

No one said he should off himself or that he's history's greatest monster or anything crazy like that. If there are underlying mental issues that are causing this, then by all means he should work on them and not repeat what he did here.

But none of this means he should be absolved of responsibility for his actions, nor should anyone be blamed for ostracizing him in the face of his actions. Nor should we automatically blame some kind of unknown mental condition he may or may not have, because what it reads as is an attempt to foist the responsibility onto some kind of unknown condition rather than asking him to take the blame for his own actions, actions he was fully conscious were wrong.

And the further problem with trying to blame it on some medical condition he may or may not have is that it reads like what happens in many other assault cases to try and either a) remove responsibility from the person doing the assault or b)blame the victim of the assault.

"Maybe it was because he was drunk" or "Maybe it's because he's mentally ill in some way" isn't that far removed from "But what if she led him on?"in terms of attempting to deflect the blame from the person doing the assault.

anothertech

Well, by all accounts then, unfortunately, yes, that does make you a bad person.

You are now someone that deserves to be on Megan's law, and someone that better stay the fck away from our daughters.

We don't need to figure out whether or not he's a Bad Person, all we need is to know that he did a horrific thing, and deserves to be called out for it, and punished, if necessary.

No one said he should off himself or that he's history's greatest monster or anything crazy like that. If there are underlying mental issues that are causing this, then by all means he should work on them and not repeat what he did here.

But none of this means he should be absolved of responsibility for his actions, nor should anyone be blamed for ostracizing him in the face of his actions. Nor should we automatically blame some kind of unknown mental condition he may or may not have, because what it reads as is an attempt to foist the responsibility onto some kind of unknown condition rather than asking him to take the blame for his own actions, actions he was fully conscious were wrong.

And the further problem with trying to blame it on some medical condition he may or may not have is that it reads like what happens in many other assault cases to try and either a) remove responsibility from the person doing the assault or b)blame the victim of the assault.

"Maybe it was because he was drunk" or "Maybe it's because he's mentally ill in some way" isn't that far removed from "But what if she led him on?"in terms of attempting to deflect the blame from the person doing the assault.

/thread as far as I'm concerned

diaspora

It's not far because it's in the same bracket of bullshit.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Why are hypotheticals coming up in here? We have the facts. This man sexually molested a woman twice. He was stopped and then tried again. There's no need to try arguing nuances here. He's a creep.

I like her, but many people will argue Palutena is nothing but fanservice. And they're right to a degree. There's a lot of unnecessary pandering with her character and Samus in her zero suit is another example. As well as Shulk LOL
And besides this is hardly relevant.

Some people are taking the time to talk about how ESAM got angry on Twitter (ESAM is the brother of NickRiddle, the guy who kicked Hyuga out of the room) instead of the actual situation. Priorities.

Darryl

Banned
I've been blackout drunk before, lots of times actually, and I've never crawled into bed with some chick and started putting my hand up her shirt and down her pants. nothing even close. Like that's WTF levels of assault. I firmly believe that what you do when you're blackout drunk are all things you are capable of doing when you're stone cold sober and it's judgement that keeps you from doing those things sober. If you're doing those things drunk, you have a warped sense of desires and boundaries.

Yea, maybe. But there's nothing here to indicate he was violent or even that the girl would've been in trouble had she been alone. Nothing to indicate it was planned or premeditated. I can't say I'm not confounded by the community reaction. This shouldn't be something the world needs to know about. This should be something the known parties and the police should've talked about. Hard to say what kinda impact alerting social media like this will have on his life. He will never get a good job again, or do much of anything important. He may have just needed to quit drinking.

petran79

Banned
That's got nothing to do with anything. You saying a street fighter player is more likely to pull this shit cus their game has more skin on show? C'mon man.

It does not matter today anyway since both are considered equal fighting games, but SF has the stigma of being played in those shady arcades in the 90s, while Smash derives from a kid friendly Nintendo console.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Real talk, is this even a thing? I live in Brazil and tried looking into whether there are any known Smash or FGC community at all where I live (Rio de Janeiro) but have had no such luck finding anything.

There's your problem.

Everything's São Paulo-based.

Platy

Not trying to be insensitive here, but how can the USA be 17% when South Africa, one of the very worst on the globe according to that page, had in 2012, 127.6 reported rapes per 100,000 people in the country? Even if only one in ten were reported, that'd still barely be above a percentile. I do understand that's just for one year, though...

Not trying to trivialize one of the most terrifying things a person could go through - I'm just curious about the stats. Some of these SA facts, though... I wish I hadn't read them.
"In 2013 a study of 1991 grade nine boys at 46 secondary schools in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth found that 17.2% had raped."

REPORTED rapes and interview about how many people are raped will ALWAYS be a diferent number. We live in a culture that
1- rapes goes unpunished
2- people still blame the victim
So it is VERY common that most rapes goes without an actual report.

Wait what does that have to do with anything. lol

Smash is a game where the diversity in women means that women are more welcome to play by default since they can choose a cute fully dressed women or a tough fully armored women if they want to play and feel represented.

anothertech

Yea, maybe. But there's nothing here to indicate he was violent or even that the girl would've been in trouble had she been alone. Nothing to indicate it was planned or premeditated. I can't say I'm not confounded by the community reaction. This shouldn't be something the world needs to know about. This should be something the known parties and the police should've talked about. Hard to say what kinda impact alerting social media like this will have on his life. He will never get a good job again, or do much of anything important. He may have just needed to quit drinking.
Sexual abuse is JUST as bad as physical abuse.

There's a website called Meganslaw that keeps a permanent record of people who do these types of atrocities, and for good reason. Drinking is not a fcking excuse for these types of actions.

Your view on the subject is wrong sir.

This is just sad.

Kuga

Actions have consequences. More importantly, this story may deter other sexual assaults. Hiding away the problem isn't going to help prevent it in the future.

Does he deserve to have his future potentially ruined because of some incredibly stupid drunken actions? Maybe not, but not talking about the problem isn't the right way to address the issue either.

I don't follow the the Smash community but I'm guessing the victim and BF are young and just getting out there. I would never let a stranger into my room with my girlfriend least of all. Glad someone was conscious enough to stop it.

IDK if anyone has said it, but Hyuga is absolutely not a stranger to any of the people that were in that room. They knew him.

Alcohol is such a terrible drug. Not sticking up for the guy as I don't even know him or what game he plays, but I doubt someone would do this kind of shit if they weren't really damn drunk. Why is this drug legal again?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

That's where you're wrong. This is definitely something the world needs to know about, not only so that shit like this stops happening, but so that victims who are afraid to talk about what they've been through actually come out to do it.

E92 M3

Alcohol is such a terrible drug. Not sticking up for the guy as I don't even know him or what game he plays, but I doubt someone would do this kind of shit if they weren't really damn drunk. Why is this drug legal again?

LOL

Most well-adjusted humans don't act like dickbags under the influence.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I agree with the people in here saying that this is no excuse. Alcohol is disinhibiting, but it does not make you do things you dont want to.

Ya might want to read the last few pages. :v

If you're referring to my posts, I wasn't at all trying to use mental illness to absolve him of guilt.

There's a huge difference between being outright insane, a true psychopath, vs. being a sex offender. You can plead insanity with the former, you can't with the latter.

I do think you have to have something off in your brain to be a sex offender. Not to the point of being incapable of reason or recognizing you've done something wrong, though. Plenty of sex offenders are fully aware they're doing something wrong.

My point is, legal punishment and mental help aren't mutually exclusive. He should get both. Preferably whichever keeps him away from potential victims the soonest.

Ferr986

Of course this shit needs to know. It's the only way that we can be sure that more people don't do it, showing how molesting people will get you in trouble, also to show that victims are safe to talk about it. If we hide it, it will keep happening.

Also wtf at the girls wouldnt've been in trouble if she was alone? really?

If you're referring to my posts, I wasn't at all trying to use mental illness to absolve him of guilt.

There's a huge difference between being outright insane, a true psychopath, vs. being a sex offender. You can plead insanity with the former, you can't with the latter.

I do think you have to have something off in your brain to be a sex offender. Not to the point of being incapable of reason or recognizing you've done something wrong, though. Plenty of sex offenders are fully aware they're doing something wrong.

My point is, legal punishment and mental help aren't mutually exclusive. He should get both. Preferably whichever keeps him away from potential victims the soonest.

I'm referring to the guy who complained that people were calling him a bad person, the banned guy. I didn't see your posts.

Boke1879

I get drunk and millions of others get drunk. It doesnt make me molest someone. And if someone acts this way while drinking then they shouldn't drink.

It's no excuse. You broke the law and violated someone. Drunk or not it's against the law.

Hopefully this isn't inappropriate to ask, but in your experience do you have any control over yourself when you are drunk? I have never drank enough alcohol to get intoxicated and never want to.

MrBadger

I don't think anyone here is actually defending what this guy did. At least I hope not.

We've had a lot of "I don't condone this, but" in this thread

I get drunk and millions of others get drunk. It doesnt make me molest someone. And if someone acts this way while drinking then they shouldn't drink.

It's no excuse. You broke the law and violated someone. Drunk or not it's against the law.

Yeah, this. It's on you to determine what your limit is. Doesn't matter if you would have done it sober or not. You still did it and it's your fault. Anyone who's gotten drunk and done stupid shit will understand that.

molnizzle

Hopefully this isn't inappropriate to ask, but in your experience do you have any control over yourself when you are drunk? I have never drank enough alcohol to get intoxicated and never want to.

Depends on how much you drink. After a certain point you will straight up "black out" and are essentially unconscious.

Agreed.

We've had a lot of "I don't condone this, but" in this thread

I just think some people get defensive because they themselves may have done some things while drunk that they deeply regret. I know I have.

wheeplash

95% of my female friends would lose their primary social interaction ... that's a start.

So the victim should have just kept silent. Think of the feelings of the guy that molested her.

Any other advice for how sexual assault victims should deal with being sexually assaulted? Have to think of the molester first, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom