• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeitOut

Boy you said it. Because sticking up for sex offenders is not a sign of maturity, and assuming this is true:

Then you should know that. Or maybe not, because older generations had this awful problem of trivializing sexual assault.

The fact that you are taking my comment to say he needs mental help, as defending sexual assault, is immature and disgusting.

It doesn't have to be molestation, it could be drunk driving with no thought of others, wanting start a fight, getting to the core of bad emotions that are buried and make you be terrible to others with no logic barrier, or running through the street naked, etc. All decisions that normally these rational good people wouldn't make but when in blackout drunk mode act like an selfish animal.

Not to mention the more you drink the less intelligence your decisions become and drinking more tends to become one of those decisions and can easily lead to the blackout phase.

And again, billions of people manage to not do this stuff. Billions.

Those drunk drivers? They are already uncaring, selfish and reckless assholes. Drunk fighters? Already aggressive.

Drunk molesters? They were always that person. It's not the alcohol. It's them.

This is a larger philosophical question I guess but I don't believe in such a thing as Good People or Bad People, just people who do good, bad and neutral things.

It shouldn't be a fucking scale, if a person who donates to charity and volunteers at the soup kitchen but sexually assaults someone, it's not like all those good deeds somehow make the action any less traumatic or violating to the victim. They are, full stop, a person who did a bad thing. It's the same with racism--this world is not separated by Racists and Non-Racists, racism is something we all have inside to some degree and we do what we can to notice and account for it.

diaspora

Good people with psychological problems do bad things all of the time. Hence the entire reason why people seek to get them psychological help.

Really disgusted by the number of kids here completely against the idea that someone might need therapy for issues.

Good people don't molest sleeping people, with or without their own issues. Good people with psychological issues, like my own ongoing ones don't fucking sexually assault people when intoxicated.

This is a larger philosophical question I guess but I don't believe in such a thing as Good People or Bad People, just people who do good, bad and neutral things.

It shouldn't be a fucking scale, if a person who donates to charity and volunteers at the soup kitchen but sexually assaults someone, it's not like all those good deeds somehow make the action any less traumatic or violating to the victim. They are, full stop, a person who did a bad thing. It's the same with racism--this world is not separated by Racists and Non-Racists, racism is something we all have inside to some degree and we do what we can to notice and account for it.

Agreed. "Good person who did bad things" is, intentionally or unintentionally, code for "this person isn't that bad"

Negaduck

Alcohol and being drunk is no excuse for shitty actions.

The fact that (at least from the story) she moved to a different bed and he tried it again makes it even worse.

Nothing excuses this and he's a piece of shit. I echo other posters in that I doubt I would be able to be quiet/not be mad enough to get in a fight with the guy.

WadeitOut

Good people don't molest sleeping people, with or without their own issues.

So let's say someone with Downs sexually assaults someone. Because I know of a situation like this. Is this person now deemed bad? Should they not be treated like there is a mental issue?

You people are acting like the kid should just off himself. We know nothing about him from a psychological standpoint.

diaspora

So let's say someone with Downs sexually assaults someone. Because I know of a situation like this. Is this person now deemed bad? Should they not be treated like there is a mental issue?

You people are acting like the kid should just off himself. We know nothing about him from a psychological standpoint.

You're full of shit, he doesn't have downs. Do you even know what downs is? It's a fucking genetic disorder, it's a disability, and as far as it's known there's no mental disability in play, nor is it cited anywhere.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
That' doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions here he should and is but at the same time wouldn't actually finding the root cause of this and helping fix it actually be more productive than just simply punitive actions alone?

I don't think anyone here is saying absolve him of his actions or don't take punitive measures against him but getting people help seems like a much more longterm productive way to deal with this.

You can still help the man, while condemning the actions he took. I.E., he could go into therapy and get rehabilitated over the next few years. While at the same time realizing he fucked up and has to live with the consequences of his actions.

What your saying seems to be making it out like he is a victim, while downplaying the real victim.

WadeitOut

You're full of shit, he doesn't have downs.

No one said he did. But he could have other mental issues that led to this happening. It's okay to say someone did a bad thing and might need help. It's hilarious how much shit I am getting for simply saying that.

Ugh.

He doesn't though. So. But yeah, keep them coming - I can't say that I'm not used to seeing the tried-and-true tactic of "have you thought about it from the perspective of the sexual abuser?" It's also a great tactic for racists, to downplay their actions.

MagnesD3

And again, billions of people manage to not do this stuff. Billions.

Those drunk drivers? They are already uncaring, selfish and reckless assholes. Drunk fighters? Already aggressive.

Drunk molesters? They were always that person. It's not the alcohol. It's them.
Billions plz, This stuff happens everywhere all the time and gets turned a blind eye or is kept between the people involved. Getting blackout drunk is never good ever, best case scenario people pass out when this drunk or drown themselves to sleep in music. This is a huge problem that is hard to make better in the world with alcohol involved.

Krejlooc

Banned

This guy doesnt have downsyndrome. And even if he has personal demons, he still made a choice to act on them, or at least a choice to restrict his inhibition. The reason people with downs syndrome get a pass is because they lack cognition of their actions.

I would expect such an old man to realize this.

diaspora

No one said he did. But he could have other mental issues that led to this happening. It's okay to say someone did a bad thing and might need help. It's hilarious how much shit I am getting for simply saying that.

It's hilarious how you're excusing sexual assault for things that don't actually exist. People with issues go day to day without raping, sexually assaulting, or molesting people.

WadeitOut

It's hilarious how you're excusing sexual assault for things that don't actually exist.

Go back to my original comment. All I said was that he did a bad thing and needs therapy.

That's it. The fact that a comment like that is so volatile is disgusting.

It's hilarious how you're excusing sexual assault for things that don't actually exist. People with issues go day to day without raping, sexually assaulting, or molesting people.

So you're essentially getting someone medical help is excusing their problem. That is sad. From a human standpoint.

Kemal86

This is the stupidest post I have ever read on NeoGAF. Delete your account.

He could be an alien completely unused to earth culture, too.

Why are we making up things that could be true?

MrBadger

You're doing nothing except distract from the situation at hand by using garbage irrelevant comparisons. You decide to get drunk. You don't decide to have downs.

Darryl

Banned
Good people with psychological problems do bad things all of the time. Hence the entire reason why people seek to get them psychological help.

Really disgusted by the number of kids here completely against the idea that someone might need therapy for issues.

I think you're hitting a nerve. I do agree with you though. I got kinda sad reading that panicked private conversation, Dude is probably going to off himself now.

Wadeitout you might want to stop. Its a no fly zone here on this subject.

No need for mental gymnastics. When the guy is clearly a functional human being.

US prison mentality at its best.

It's funny that you automatically inferred I was talking about prison time. I wasn't.

He does deserve some jail time. He committed a serious crime. No, I don't think he should be locked up for life.

He needs mental help. What he did isn't normal. So he shouldn't give himself another chance to do it again. Whether that means he should spend time at a mental institution, or simply never drink so much as a drop of alcohol ever again, I don't know. I'm not a mental health professional, so I'm not going to prescribe the course of action. Prison time isn't how you rehabilitate a sex offender, though. Sex offenders go free from prison and go on to repeat their behavior all the time.

Kuraudo

Banned
People keep talking about the alcohol but this guy probably has some major Foreveralone social anxiety issues that are the real culprit. The alcohol just removed the inhibitions. I don't think this makes him a bad person but he probably does need some sort of therapy.

No. I have social anxiety disorder and have never molested someone. It's a condition which impairs you in particular social situations and usually manifests in an extreme shyness and avoidance. It does not drive you to nonconsensual sexual abuse.

There are of course external factors which will have affected him and led him to this point. Rape culture is an especially insidious part of our society. But trying to excuse his behaviour because it's a systemic problem or because of drink or emotional repression only reinforces that culture. As a society, there are many systemic problems we have to address, but indiviuals are also ultimately responsible for their own actions.

diaspora

Go back to my original comment. All I said was that he did a bad thing and needs therapy.

That's it. The fact that a comment like that is so volatile is disgusting.
The face that you're saying that someone that hasn't demonstrated any need for help for actually needing help instead of incarceration is nothing short of disgusting.

So you're essentially getting someone medical help is excusing their problem. That is sad. From a human standpoint.

Using personal demons, mental issues, and disabilities- none of which have been brought forward as even existing and in your case merging them into a single problem is nothing short of asinine- and yeah, you're using these issues to excuse the behaviour of someone who doesn't- as far as the situation is concerned actually have these problems.

diaspora

This is one of the most pathetic things I have read here so far. I'm out of this conversation. There is no mature discussion to be had here.

You're full of shit, there are people here with their own issues, none of whom- as far as I know have actually molested or sexually assaulted anyone. Issues, which are besides the point considering that they don't exist not having actually been brought forward by anyone involved.

MrBadger

This is one of the most pathetic things I have read here so far. I'm out of this conversation. There is no mature discussion to be had here.

Your contributions to this thread, at this point, are pure fiction and not as insightful as you think they are. And now is not the time for it.

When did I ever say that was not an option? Vikki has all the right in the world to press charges.

Because no one has ever claimed "he shouldn't get therapy", you just decided that people pointing out how someone who sexually assaulted someone in their sleep was a bad person was unacceptable - essentially "won't someone think of the rapist?" angle. Of course there's a lot of people with mental illnesses out there - Jeffrey Dahmer was a pitiable soul who should have received treatment, but he knew that what he did was wrong. He said as much himself. Mental illness isn't a shield for wrongdoing. This player understood that what he did was wrong. Being mentally ill introduces some factors, but if you know what you're doing is bad, you are willingly committing a crime. Stop trying to obfuscate this by introducing a "what if" instead of focusing on the reality of the situation.

When did I? I said We know nothing about him and that he could have psychological issues. That's the comment people are acting like immature children about.

But why are you assuming that at all?

Is your assertion for every rape or other sexual assault case that the person might have mental issues so we should withhold any (non-binding) judgment just in case?

diaspora

When did I? I said We know nothing about him and that he could have psychological issues. That's the comment people are acting like immature children about.

You're inventing "mental issues" that don't actually exist and getting mad that people are saying that he doesn't need treatment for the issues... that haven't been demonstrated actually exist.

WadeitOut

Because no one has ever claimed "he shouldn't get therapy", you just decided that people pointing out how someone who sexually assaulted someone in their sleep was a bad person was unacceptable - essentially "won't someone think of the rapist?" angle. Of course there's a lot of people with mental illnesses out there - Jeffrey Dahmer was a pitiable soul who should have received treatment, but he knew that what he did was wrong. He said as much himself. This player understood that what he did was wrong.

You and others really need to go back and look at my initial posts. Because they have been distorted by some silly game of circle jerk telephone. All I did was say the kid shouldn't be demonized when he could have legitament mental problems.

If people think that is crazy, then there is no room for mature discussion. I really hope some of you get a better viewpoint on life over time.

You're inventing "mental issues" that don't actually exist and getting mad that people are saying that he doesn't need treatment for the issues... that haven't been demonstrated actually exist.

Yeah this never happened. I said he could have mental issues so it doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad person. And I 100% stick to that.

diaspora

You and others really need to go back and look at my initial posts. Because they have been distorted by some silly game of circle jerk telephone. All I did was say the kid shouldn't be demonized when he could have legitament mental problems.

You're saying that someone shouldn't be demonized for a doing an awful thing because of issues that are non-existent at present.

If people think that is crazy, then there is no room for mature discussion. I really hope some of you get a better viewpoint on life over time.

In that case, is this your assertion for every single crime ever committed by anyone? "What if mental illnesses"?

He made clear that he understood it was wrong. If he has mental illnesses, he has mental illnesses while also willfully committing a crime. For the love of all that is good in this world, what about that do you not understand? Mental illness is only a legitimate factor if it would serve to make him unable to appreciate the harm of his actions.

Kuraudo

Banned

Maybe you should educate yourself on said mental issues before throwing them around.

Social anxiety is an excuse for not feeling upto going to a party your friend is throwing. It's not an excuse you putting your hand down a sleeping girl's pants.

The whole mental health aspect is irrelevant to discuss to begin with because he will more than likely receive court-mandated therapy sessions for the type of crime no matter what, so there.

Commonly, you'd get whatever jail/probation sentence and it has some sort of therapy or community work built into it where he'll be discussing his issues plenty.

If you get a DUI for example, you have to attend AA meetings as part of your sentence.

Either way, the fact stands that you're legally liable for your actions regardless of mental issues or substance abuse. If he hasn't hightailed it back to his native country yet, which I highly doubt if his name was entered into police database, he'll face his charges, period.

molnizzle

This player understood that what he did was wrong. Being mentally ill introduces some factors, but if you know what you're doing is bad, you are willingly committing a crime.

Have you ever been blackout drunk before, like to the point that you legitimately can't remember what happened? He might know what he did is wrong after the fact but (if he's telling the truth) then he has no recollection of the event itself.

Not that it's an excuse for his actions, he should know better than to allow himself to reach that point. Just saying that it's not necessarily a given that he consciously committed these acts.

Pastry

Banned
I'm late to this and having trouble keeping up but has he been banned from tournaments yet? I saw that he was dropped by his sponsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom