• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

Sanic

What kind of platformer is this, exactly? People keep bringing up discovery. How do you advance through the content?

EasyMode

What kind of platformer is this, exactly? People keep bringing up discovery. How do you advance through the content?

You advance by collecting cubes to unlock new areas, like the stars in 3D Mario games. There are regular cubes and anti-cubes. Collecting the former is just a matter of platforming and keeping your eyes open. The latter are found by solving the game's puzzles -- this is where the community aspect comes in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I might just have to hook my Air up to my TV for this one. Though it would look smaller and crappier. My TV input would be 720 but would be stretched to 1366x768. While my laptop will be 1440x800. Does the game scale well? Eh, it'll probably look fine no matter what.

Playing this last summer on the 360 was an absolute joy. Love this game. Please give it a shot. And avoid as much help as you can.

I'll be watching this thread for the reactions the next few weeks. Wish I could experience it for the first time all over again.

daxy

So close! Don't think the download will be especially long, but it makes me wonder why you can't pre-load every game the day prior to launch.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ron-paul.gif

Exciiite?

Tayaya

Bought a copy of this last week... been patiently waiting for this day to come! Workday needs to end now so I can go home and get crackin'.

I never played the 360 release after all the stories about it being very buggy and deleting player saves and things like that, but there's not a soul around that hasn't told my it's anything but brilliant and one of their favorite games.

Vexxan

Just here to say that picture in the opening post is fucking fantastic.

Good luck with the puzzles, first-timers!

daxy

I've no clue what to expect. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.
Boo, installing the directX stuff is taking longer than the actual download.

Oh god, the game looks amazing
irVFN2BGPsVmB.png

Might wanna put that picture in a quote to avoid it stretching the page, however pretty it is ;)

Add me to the group please...should be Concierge on Steam. Bought it last night. Never played the 360 one. Really looking forward to it.

I've no clue what to expect. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.
Boo, installing the directX stuff is taking longer than the actual download.

Might wanna put that picture in a quote to avoid it stretching the page, however pretty it is ;)

Thanks for the tip. just quoted it. I'm way to accustomed to posting it like that because of the Screenshot thread :p

daxy

Is it normal that fullscreen isn't fullscreen? I'm playing at 1650*1050 but seeing black borders.

I'm getting the same on 1600x900 :(

1920x1080 on my other screen looks fine, but I get some tearing here and there even with vsync forced through nvidia control panel.

derExperte

I would suppose that happens because you're playing with a 16:10 resolution, and the game wasn't design around that.

Then I would only see borders on the top and bottom, I should have mentioned I have them all around. Also the menu says I'm playing with a recommended res.

HoosTrax

I haven't been following this since I preordered the game a few weeks ago -- the game is indeed 1080p fullscreen compliant I assume?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, shit, the game has the same "skipping" problem as the 360 version. There is a constant, subtle hitching effect present 100% of the time while scrolling. I suspect most people won't notice it but it's really damn annoying to my eyes. Can't believe it's still here.

:\

Well, shit, the game has the same "skipping" problem as the 360 version. There is a constant, subtle hitching effect present 100% of the time while scrolling. I suspect most people won't notice it but it's really damn annoying to my eyes. Can't believe it's still here.

That's really disappointing. I got over it but it's incredibly distracting if you're sensitive to stuttering.

derExperte

Never played the 360 version and noticed it instantly.

I'm fine with letterbox, meaning black at the top and bottom. But I really, really hope what I have right now is only a bug. edit: 1600*900 works better, less black.

Coconut

Banned

If its like the 360 version it'll be very noticeable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuu.. My laptop apparantly can't handle it (dual core 2ghz, no dedicated gpu). I suspected this would happen, and indeed it crashes at launch.

Going to have to wait till I have access to my desktop then. :/ shit, was so ready for this right now

daxy

Oh my word. I found a thing. I don't know what it is and whether this is something we talk about yet in the group :x

I randomly found an anti-cube while I was just looking around in a certain area. What is this magical thing, I want to eat it.

daveo42

Banned
Fuuu.. My laptop apparantly can't handle it (dual core 2ghz, no dedicated gpu). I suspected this would happen, and indeed it crashes at launch.

Going to have to wait till I have access to my desktop then. :/ shit, was so ready for this right now

Bah, I was hoping to get some time in on my laptop during a short vacation. I guess it'll be there when I get back, but I was expecting to at least play on a laptop.

Ce-Lin

yep, seems streaming it's hard-coded and they didn't bother to tweak it for PC... come on the VRAM alone in my GPU (7950 Boost 3 GB) can keep 5 times the full REZ code+assets... incredibly lazy, and as you said, incredibly annoying !

also take a look at the GPU usage... less than 5% @1080p, shaders and memory clocks throttle down to Office usage levels (spreadsheet confirmed), also the game seems to stress just 1 core of the system... and barely... lol, it's the most direct port ever.

fix the damn stuttering / hitching !!! I bough the PC version just to play WITHOUT that, thought silky smooth 1080p 60 fps was a given... not the 360 version again...

I have the stuttering and the game uses a lot of CPU.

I have the stuttering as I said and the CPU usage on my 3570K is barely 8%... and the game is just "taxing" one core...

is not that bad but it's there... constantly... annoyingly... come on now !

Coconut

Banned
Bah, I was hoping to get some time in on my laptop during a short vacation. I guess it'll be there when I get back, but I was expecting to at least play on a laptop.

Yeah that's lame sounds like they just copy and pasted the raw code.

iavi

It's not at all that bad, and I consider myself pretty sensitive to hitches in frame-rate.

---

It is a pretty bare-bones port, though. Not Dark Souls barebones, but barebones

daxy

Side note, it looks like the achievements have spoilers in them once they're unlocked and their description becomes visible, so don't check on those of others I'd say?

louiedog

There's a thing that happens very early in the game. I kind of wish I'd experienced for the first time on PC rather than the 360. It would have been a whole lot cooler and maybe more impactful as it's inconsistent with console gaming.

Top Bottom