• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 |OT| JOIN THE CLUB

Mascot

i feel like every yr my love/hate relationship with fifa begins sooner and sooner..

For me, FIFA has always been about the online experience, so for me, FIFA is all about what lag the game hands me at the start of a match. Over the past few nights I've been playing a series of five matches against the same friend online. One match can be fast, responsive and controllable for me, then the next match a slow, unresponsive lag-fest with misplaced passes, ballooned shots and zombie team mates. Every now and again we'll have a game where its great for both of us, and this is where FIFA shines. But there's no consistency whatsoever. I'll win one match 7-2 then lose the rematch by a similar margin.

When FIFA is performing well there's no other game I'd rather play, but when it's bad it's a TV-demolishingly frustrating experience.

adelante

When FIFA is performing well there's no other game I'd rather play, but when it's bad it's a TV-demolishingly frustrating experience.

Seriously... No other game is this rage-inducing and that's probably due to the nature of football games. If I concede a goal early, there's a possibility I'd have to spend the remainder of that match trying HARD to penetrate my opponent's defense and score. With every failed attempt to net a goal, I get sooo heavily invested in the game. And I'm not the sort who wants to quit a match halfway so that probably makes it worse lol (even when I'm down 5-0 I'll still keep playing) At least with competitive shooters, I can always take my time, kill other players who aren't as good, and claw my way up the score list.

Mascot

Seriously... No other game is this rage-inducing and that's probably due to the nature of football games. If I concede a goal early, there's a possibility I'd have to spend the remainder of that match trying HARD to penetrate my opponent's defense and score. With every failed attempt to net a goal, I get sooo heavily invested in the game. And I'm not the sort who wants to quit a match halfway so that probably makes it worse lol (even when I'm down 5-0 I'll still keep playing) At least with competitive shooters, I can always take my time, kill other players who aren't as good, and claw my way up the score list.
I've got no problem with losing heavily while being outplayed (or even dominating a match and losing due to bad luck) so long as the playing field is level. That's football. My problem with Fifa is that the online connection often heavily favours one of the players and massively disadvantages the other ('host advantage' is probably the best analogy). This inevitably results in one player skill-moving their way quickly around the pitch scoring at will, while their opponent simply chases shadows. I *think* the net code in 13 seems to have improved a bit since Fifa 11, but the problem definitely persists. It's a real shame, as it can totally ruin the experience if you are on the receiving end of it.

Keio

For a Finer World
Now that we are discussing lag, is there some kind of a "lag cheat" some players use?

I played in the Gold Cup final against a very low-skill player, but every time the player tried a lobbed through pass the game would pause, a "throbber" would appear like a lost connection for some seconds until play would restart. Same would happen some times also when he was playing a cross or a pass into the box as well.

Once the game was playing great until I went 1-0 down and the game started lagging completely. I managed to score a lucky shot from somewhere around 30 yards – and the lag magically disappeared.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Mascot

Now that we are discussing lag, is there some kind of a "lag cheat" some players use?

I played in the Gold Cup final against a very low-skill player, but every time the player tried a lobbed through pass the game would pause, a "throbber" would appear like a lost connection for some seconds until play would restart. Same would happen some times also when he was playing a cross or a pass into the box as well.

Once the game was playing great until I went 1-0 down and the game started lagging completely. I managed to score a lucky shot from somewhere around 30 yards – and the lag magically disappeared.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I've heard of players having laptops open and F5-ing web pages to induce lag to try to piss their opponents off into quitting. Unfortunately for some people winning is more important than having fun and respecting their opponents.
If you really want to get depressed at the mental state of Joe Gamer try googling 'lag switch'.

adelante

I've got no problem with losing heavily while being outplayed (or even dominating a match and losing due to bad luck) so long as the playing field is level. That's football. My problem with Fifa is that the online connection often heavily favours one of the players and massively disadvantages the other ('host advantage' is probably the best analogy). This inevitably results in one player skill-moving their way quickly around the pitch scoring at will, while their opponent simply chases shadows. I *think* the net code in 13 seems to have improved a bit since Fifa 11, but the problem definitely persists. It's a real shame, as it can totally ruin the experience if you are on the receiving end of it.
The frustrations I laid out was about playing the game in laggy circumstances actually heh. You're right, in normal conditions I wouldn't be so easily agitated but when it lags, and because this is football, that means I've to put up with connectivity issues for an entire match. At least in other games, there are ways I'd be able to go around problems of lag in case the game suddenly decides to throw me in a match full of people from the other side of the globe (by picking and killing noobs in COD, spray with a high-capacity mag to make up for less accuracy, etc). It has gotten better in FIFA 13 because I've never experienced a laggy game that gets progressively worse or unplayable. When I jump into a match that's less responsive than usual, I always think Im able to put up with it and keep on playing past the 5min mark. That is until I concede a stupid goal because my all defenders couldn't react instantaneously. Then I feel like throwing the controller at the screen haha

Mascot

The frustrations I laid out was about playing the game in laggy circumstances actually heh. You're right, in normal conditions I wouldn't be so easily agitated but when it lags, and because this is football, that means I've to put up with connectivity issues for an entire match. At least in other games, there are ways I'd be able to go around problems of lag in case the game suddenly decides to throw me in a match full of people from the other side of the globe (by picking and killing noobs in COD, spray with a high-capacity mag to make up for less accuracy, etc). It has gotten better in FIFA 13 because I've never experienced a laggy game that gets progressively worse or unplayable. When I jump into a match that's less responsive than usual, I always think Im able to put up with it and keep on playing past the 5min mark. That is until I concede a stupid goal because my all defenders couldn't react instantaneously. Then I feel like throwing the controller at the screen haha
It can be a nightmare. The only reliable test I've found is by trying a couple of skill moves in the first five minutes. If they can't be pulled off as per normal, then chances are the connection will suck.
There's no accounting for players who have others in their household who start streaming movies halfway through a game though. You can't do much about that except knuckle down and try to keep things tight.

Maybe not here, not sure what you're implying anyway but a decent in-depth discussion can be had (for those looking for tips and such): http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68962&page=20

I was just joking because of Menelaus' comment. I'll end up playing Career Mode at some point. Especially now that I won Div1 in UT; I really wish they had a single match - online option for that. For now I'm just doing Custom H2H games so I can start getting more familiar with some of the teams I'll play seasons with.

Keio

For a Finer World
I've heard of players having laptops open and F5-ing web pages to induce lag to try to piss their opponents off into quitting. Unfortunately for some people winning is more important than having fun and respecting their opponents.
If you really want to get depressed at the mental state of Joe Gamer try googling 'lag switch'.

This is one of those things that is close to making me want to stop playing. OMG. I've been giving the finger to the screen, cursing so much my wife has closed the door to the living room, but I've never even contemplated cheating in FIFA.

I mean if you cheat, does winning feel like winning? When I finally got the Gold Cup in UT by scoring a 90+ minute winner (3-2) after coming back from 1-2 down... You can't have a feeling like that if you know you'd cheated to get there.

Elfish

Anyone here plays it on PC? How does it compare to the PS3 version?

I've got the PS3 version but only had LAG with a few games and some stuttering online.
But it doesn't happen that often.

PC version is already patched then?

If you have a decent PC, then the PC version is the one to get. Better graphics, a much more smooth experience and I've only experienced lag in 3 or 4 games of 50 + I've played.

Elfish

PC version is kinda cheap if you use a cdkey site ;)
But most of my friends play it on PS3 though.
Kinda stupid to buy it a second time.
It would be great if you could transfer your PS3 FIFA UT team to the PC version, but that is never going to happen.
My PC is decent enough though.

ASROCK 880 GXH motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

I have a question regarding the PS3 version of the game. I just started playing it and the first time I start it asks me to connect to EA online and create an Origin account. The thing is, I already have an Origin account which I use on my PC (and my GT is linked to it as well). Is there no way to use that same account here as well? For some reason, it asks me for my email, password and password confirmation and I couldn't see any option to login with an existing account. How can I make this happen?

Blablurn

PC version is kinda cheap if you use a cdkey site ;)
But most of my friends play it on PS3 though.
Kinda stupid to buy it a second time.
It would be great if you could transfer your PS3 FIFA UT team to the PC version, but that is never going to happen.
My PC is decent enough though.

ASROCK 880 GXH motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Those websites are banned from gaf :) dont talk about them too much.

SumGamer

I have strange idea and wanting to know if it's good or bad. I played 4-1-2-1-2 with (mostly) Liga BBVA side. Now either Isco or Kaka take the CAM spot. My idea is to modify Essien to play in CAM. Quick check seeing that he's strong and a great passer and decent long shot. The downside would be his speed and finishing. Do you think I should try it out or not?

BTW, how does chemistry work?
1. Does the red mean anything if chemistry is maxed out? Lines, formation, position?
2. What if I switch a player during the match? Will it has any effect?

http://www.ea.com/soccer/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#eBVrcXk6nBi:360

my new team. Got Falcao for 42k. Wrong formation but fuck it it's all the coins I had lol

It's almost as bad as fighting games now. Still, ultimate team is the new hotness so fuck seasons

How do you like Falcao? Here's my team with him http://www.ea.com/uk/football/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#eArhE0McnHMju:ps3. I used to pair him up with Higuain with Kaka behind them. It hasn't worked out very well for me. Season 2 defense is really hard to break apart. Falcao has very little chance to get a shot on goal for me. Higuain can't really creating a chance for him. I'm still trying to adapt play style to see if I can make the most out of him. He has gone and back to my trade pile couple of times now. I just got Muriel to see if adding speedster would create more chance for him or not.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I have strange idea and wanting to know if it's good or bad. I played 4-1-2-1-2 with (mostly) Liga BBVA side. Now either Isco or Kaka take the CAM spot. My idea is to modify Essien to play in CAM. Quick check seeing that he's strong and a great passer and decent long shot. The downside would be his speed and finishing. Do you think I should try it out or not?

BTW, how does chemistry work?
1. Does the red mean anything if chemistry is maxed out? Lines, formation, position?
2. What if I switch a player during the match? Will it has any effect?

How do you like Falcao? Here's my team with him http://www.ea.com/uk/football/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#eArhE0McnHMju:ps3. I used to pair him up with Higuain with Kaka behind them. It hasn't worked out very well for me. Season 2 defense is really hard to break apart. Falcao has very little chance to get a shot on goal for me. Higuain can't really creating a chance for him. I'm still trying to adapt play style to see if I can make the most out of him. He has gone and back to my trade pile couple of times now. I just got Muriel to see if adding speedster would create more chance for him or not.

He's great but I think they nerfed his pace a bit. He is much faster than 78 or whatever he is in the game. He needs to play in the middle in a 4-3-3. I recently bought Cristian Tello (can be had for about 1,000 coins only) and I play him on the left wing since his pace is 90. Falcao is a 90 on headers iirc so that works out pretty good. How is Muriel? I'm thinking about picking him up

datteam.jpg

SumGamer

He's great but I think they nerfed his pace a bit. He is much faster than 78 or whatever he is in the game. He needs to play in the middle in a 4-3-3. I recently bought Cristian Tello (can be had for about 1,000 coins only) and I play him on the left wing since his pace is 90. Falcao is a 90 on headers iirc so that works out pretty good. How is Muriel? I'm thinking about picking him up

Amazing pace and strike very well. He's a bit weak if rubbing shoulder with the defenders and his pass is average. He definitely can created a gap in well formed defense though. Now I have more chance at goal when counter attack. Not sure if fit your 4-3-3 as he isn't a great header or crosser.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Amazing pace and strike very well. He's a bit weak if rubbing shoulder with the defenders and his pass is average. He definitely can created a gap in well formed defense though. Now I have more chance at goal when counter attack. Not sure if fit your 4-3-3 as he isn't a great header or crosser.

Thanks I'll pick him up once I get some more players to sell. I have pretty much the whole Colombian squad lol

---Bam just picked him up. Only 1,500 coins. 91 pace lol

SumGamer

Thanks I'll pick him up once I get some more players to sell. I have pretty much the whole Colombian squad lol

---Bam just picked him up. Only 1,500 coins. 91 pace lol

Are you on PC? He costs me 8400 on PS3 :(
But he just chipped one for Falcao to volley a winning goal, so it's ok :)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Are you on PC? He costs me 8400 on PS3 :(
But he just chipped one for Falcao to volley a winning goal, so it's ok :)

lol no, 360. The seria a and la liga players are pretty cheap. It's probably that the us and uk players only buy/know epl players lol

My squad has only la liga players and mainly serie a since they are my favorite leagues to watch in real life.

I like epl too tho

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Too bad Messi is still 1 million space coins. I ended up getting Falcao for pretty cheap so I'm pleased. All the colombian players are cheap as fuck too.

Sucks because unless you get an exceptional player in a gold pack it's hard to rack up coinage

JLG-

Got balo. Dude is a tank!

hnqKB.jpg

I'm doing pretty good online, one problem though, my midfield is slow as shit.
Looking for a Mid with some nice pace. Any recommendations? I'm currently looking at Ramires.

Shane86

Don't think I've ever played a game that I love and hate as much as this. I'm very close to throwing the disc out the window at this point, don't know why I'm still playing it.

There seem to some games where the defenders have super hero reflexes and block every shot, and the goalkeeper pulls off 4 or 5 wonder saves, fed up really. Most annoying thing they've added though, is how defenders can tug on your shirt for a second and force you to knock the ball ahead of you, and they don't get punished for it.

Here's some more bullshit I've had to put up with:

• I've had 4 games where the ball was invisible, all happened in the french league playing away while it's raining.

• Barcelona sell my pro to Bayern for £28m, a month later they buy him back for £20m in the same fucking transfer window!

• The real madrid career manager has Cavani and Hernandez on the bench, he decides to play Nuri Sahin as lone striker for the lols, the game then black screens and I'm forced to turn the console off.

• If you try to edit your pro in the Spanish league you get the error "Team has too many players you are now a free agent" You're stuck in the edit menu and again, are forced to turn the game off.

• Finally, as I'm sure you've all noticed, if a team is losing at 80 minutes they instantly start throwing every man forward, closing you down and intercepting your passes all of a sudden, EVERY TEAM DOES THIS AT EXACTLY 80 MINUTES.

Can someone explain to me why in Ultimate Team Single Player season the difficulty keeps changing from game to game? One game its Semi-Pro, next its World Class.

Is this supposed to be happening?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Hmm I see you have a epl squad but I picked up De Marcos (Atletic Bilbao) earlier today. He is a CM with 88 pace. He's spanish at least so he will gel with Arteta

CartridgeBlower said:
Can someone explain to me why in Ultimate Team Single Player season the difficulty keeps changing from game to game? One game its Semi-Pro, next its World Class. Is this supposed to be happening?

Not sure but if you play the single player tournies each tournament has different difficulties. I think they just like fucking with you tho

hnqKB.jpg

Looking for a Mid with some nice pace. Any recommendations? I'm currently looking at Ramires.

Ramires and Abou Diaby are supposed to be a lethal combination and having used Diaby he is much better than a 76. Yaya Toure and Anderson should also be pretty good

Can someone explain to me why in Ultimate Team Single Player season the difficulty keeps changing from game to game? One game its Semi-Pro, next its World Class.

Is this supposed to be happening?

It's supposed to happen, if you look at the fixtures list for the season it will tell you who you all your opponents and what difficulty the matches will be

It's supposed to happen, if you look at the fixtures list for the season it will tell you who you all your opponents and what difficulty the matches will be

Ah, got it now. Thanks!

Ultimate Team is addicting, but man, I'm not using real money to buy packs, and it's definitely a slow build.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
LOL I have been playing online since the xbox 1 came out. I'm glad on 360 you can eliminate voice communication for anyone not on your friends list

Fry

Looks like the servers are down. For me at least.

I got disconnected from their servers DURING my last two matches.

I'm playing one right now, let's see what'll happen. There will be maintenance though:

FIFA 13 online service (except FUT) will be interrupted for 1 hour tonight for maintenance from 10pm-11pm PT (Oct 19 6am-7am UK)
Update on tonight's maintenance from 10-11PT: FUT may experience minor interruptions during this time but it will only be for the first 30 minutes and not affect everyone.

Keio

For a Finer World
Has anyone else noticed that the "difficulty" of online games (your opposing humans, I mean) even in Division 1 of UT really change by the time of day. Again, maybe this is just my paranoia.

- Around 1900-2200 CET you seem to have a lot more "regular players", but if you play after midnight, it's mainly very hardcore players

- Friday night you get opponents who seem to be quite drunk :D

Some anecdotal evidence: Wed night my wife went to a gig with her friend so I played from 20-01. I started with a great winning streak to pick up the Gold Cup, but then lost 4 and drew 1 game on the trot in Division 1. Frustrated bed time.

Yesterday I started Div 1 at around 1930, and with 5 games to go and 1 point managed to claw my way up to 13 points & safety (4 wins, one loss).

Either my concentration really lapsed Wed evening or my theory of less HC players being active again Thursday and helping me stay in the division was true.

Anyway, no game manages to elate and frustrate me as much as FIFA online. It's just amazing.

pappe

Bought my copy yesterday. My first copy of Fifa in 10 years or so. Really enjoyed playing it last night even though got my ass handed to me many times. Got the 360 version.

Everyone is raving on about FUT seems interesting will look into it tonight but i dont know shit about it.

Robso

hnqKB.jpg

Ramires would be an awesome choice. Perhaps somebody like Santi Cazorla?, probably have to change the formation to the attacking 4-3-3. If you don't want to do that then definitely Ramires, and as mentioned Yaya Toure would be an awesome edition.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Bought Podolski last night to alternate as CF with Lampard behind Dzeko. Spent 24k on him - hope he's worth it!

Edit: Ok, earned 1749 coins for the TOTW challenge on Ultimate, with him scoring. Paying back his fee already!

Fuck. This. Game. And. It's. Online. Players.

Haha, I was playing a Custom H2H match, and I think it was against someone who spoke spanish, but he kept saying some rather racist things about his players on the mic, and would get mad while I dominated him as Aston Villa (against Manchester City). At some point I pop on the mic and ask how old he is, thinking he is 14 and celebrating his new discovery of derogative terms and he turns out to be 28!

Bought my copy yesterday. My first copy of Fifa in 10 years or so. Really enjoyed playing it last night even though got my ass handed to me many times. Got the 360 version.

Everyone is raving on about FUT seems interesting will look into it tonight but i dont know shit about it.

If you're looking for some relaxing GAF games, let me know!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Haha, I was playing a Custom H2H match, and I think it was against someone who spoke spanish, but he kept saying some rather racist things about his players on the mic, and would get mad while I dominated him as Aston Villa (against Manchester City). At some point I pop on the mic and ask how old he is, thinking he is 14 and celebrating his new discovery of derogative terms and he turns out to be 28!

That game was bullshit mang

New Fifa Wii U preview:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/48032/fifa-13-wii-u-preview

Best looking version, real time management, lots of new passing/shooting gameplay features and multiplayer modes, though lacking some other 13 improvements vs the 12 build Wii U is based on.

Yes but does it have voice chat?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Bought Podolski last night to alternate as CF with Lampard behind Dzeko. Spent 24k on him - hope he's worth it!

Edit: Ok, earned 1749 coins for the TOTW challenge on Ultimate, with him scoring. Paying back his fee already!

wtf this pisses me off, I'd overlooked these as I did it once and got nothing! that was back in the days when 1000 coins would've felt like loads too!

Top Bottom