• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 |OT| JOIN THE CLUB

misterF

Neo Member
What the hell happened to me. I was either winning division 1 or getting close to the points needed and now I'm going on like 5 game losing streaks and barely holding onto division 2. Every team is just too fast and it's all through balls.

Last 2 games I've played, opponent had applied the +15 pace card to his already pacy attackers, just had to make through balls and he would have a chance. Ridiculous...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Lol so annoying. I have done really well in seasons. With 5 matches left I had 11 points and I need 12 to succeed. I now have 1 match left and is still at 11 points... Ouch.

you can buy draws or wins or extra games in the easc catalogue. dunno how it works exactly but I would do it before you play that last game!

What the hell happened to me. I was either winning division 1 or getting close to the points needed and now I'm going on like 5 game losing streaks and barely holding onto division 2. Every team is just too fast and it's all through balls.

I'm convinced the game sometimes sticks you in a loop where you keep getting disadvantaged over and over although blaming your connection/ISP might be a more sane explanation.

I've lost 16 times and about 12 of those were in the same session where the game seemed hell bent on making me lose. If I was more sensible I should have quit after a few knowing that if I came back later I might come out of the loop.

The session I had after that bad one I won like 15 in a row - including an undefeated season in div 1 and a cup win. It's kind of annoying because I dont know if my success was down to my connection screwing other guys over or the game giving me some weird advantage or what.

Last 2 games I've played, opponent had applied the +15 pace card to his already pacy attackers, just had to make through balls and he would have a chance. Ridiculous...

those pace cards go for so much money!

http://www.ea.com/de/fussball/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#kJWXQ8fqnHTgF:pc

Gone for Pander now... Only marginally weaker than Alaba, but about 10 times cheaper ;)

I think I have a pretty decent team by now!

http://www.futhead.com/fifa/squads/77876/#.UIvkZLQTsy4

That is my team. The one thing you will notice is two low rated FBs. Why? Because they are both beasts and deceptively good. Pander takes all my corners and most of my freekicks, and if you get him to make a run, he has a hard shot. Great player. Trasch is one of the only gold FBs in the game that has a high defensive workrate, and it has payed off quite a bit. This game doesn't need to be all about pace. Just find the right players with the right statistics that fit what you need in your squad.

do you play 5 defenders set to ultra defensive or something? If you did that and just squeezed the life out of the game and hit them on the break with long balls and pacey counter attacks I can see why people would send you hate mail. This tactic will be considered defensive and does mean your opponent will struggle to break you down and get shots off.

Do you generally have more possession?

I rarely see this on UT though so it's not been a concern for me, if anything my games are too stupidly high scoring.

I play with 4-1-2-1-2 and tend to have slightly more possesion, with most of the game being played in thier half. I do play on defensive to stop people hitting me on the counter attack. I mix my game up and will hit people on the counter but generally tend to play through them and dont spam long balls. I wouldn't say my tactics are at all defensive.

Even when I do come across people who play such a tactic your on about I don't think its ever appropriate to send hate mail. If they want to play such a tactic I'll live with it and change my style to create chances despite their 5 defenders.

I never wanna see Giovinco, Palacio, and Di Natale on the same team. It's fucking disgusting and they all have high dribble so the ball is glued to their foot.

kaizoku

Man 2nd season in div 1 was a a lot harder and epic than my first (where my last 4 games involved me going behind, getting a red card and coming back to win).

This time I lost 2 games then drew my 3rd meaning I had to win all 7 remaining games in a row to win the league, I didn't play great football or smash any teams, if anything I was the one being smashed. Every game felt like a struggle but somehow I managed to do it. Had to take a break afterwards to calm down as I was getting so wound up and tense lol. This game is so not good for my blood pressure.

I kinda regret choosing such an attacking formation (3-4-1-2), the game is so open and nothing I do really makes me feel safe. I am literally scrambling for safety all the time whether I'm on ultra defensive trying to keep the ball or when I'm attacking the break is always so dangerous.

My keepers have been heroic, often making 10 saves a game. The only thing keeping me winning is my solid finishing. Hamsik is my top scorer now, he is so important, no CF can take his place, his ability to win headers is vital. Might try Di Natale at some stage just to see what he's like.

Your gonna love my crappy teams I made lol
Gatt has some pace but I have no RW position so he throws my chemistry all off.

The MLS/American mix All-Stars lol

http://www.ea.com/soccer/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#jzJ2B14NnHS5K:ps3

I prob need some work, like I said this is my first go at FUT. I dont expect them to do to well also lol, I prob would have done better with a Euro/South American team but I'm the dumbass who plays online/single player with 3 star teams.

JLG-

I can't for the life of me find a goddamn sliver manager in 3412.. There's plenty 3421 but no 3412! I've been scrolling for what seems like an hour..

Anyone on ps3 have a 3412 manager laying around that you are willing to trade? Or is it possible to apply formation cards to managers?

Edit: Scratch that. Found a 3412 manager formation modifier.

Hmm sometimes I think this game cheats. Every pass, every deflection, every loose ball from a tackle, each and every one goes to his team. It's not every game it does this, and sometimes it does it for me, but good lord is it ever annoying once it's started. Is it some sort of added AI to simulate momentum?

Mascot

I'm convinced the game sometimes sticks you in a loop where you keep getting disadvantaged over and over although blaming your connection/ISP might be a more sane explanation.

I've lost 16 times and about 12 of those were in the same session where the game seemed hell bent on making me lose. If I was more sensible I should have quit after a few knowing that if I came back later I might come out of the loop.

The session I had after that bad one I won like 15 in a row - including an undefeated season in div 1 and a cup win. It's kind of annoying because I dont know if my success was down to my connection screwing other guys over or the game giving me some weird advantage or what.

Welcome to my world. After experiencing exactly these symptoms since FIFA '06 I'm 100% convinced that it's 100% to do with the game attempting to balance the peer-to-peer online connection and using some fucked-up lag compensation algorithms that don't function properly.

Maybe Fifa 14 will finally have dedicated servers, and not just a background monitor of the p2p connection...

Edit:

Hmm sometimes I think this game cheats. Every pass, every deflection, every loose ball from a tackle, each and every one goes to his team. It's not every game it does this, and sometimes it does it for me, but good lord is it ever annoying once it's started. Is it some sort of added AI to simulate momentum?

See above.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Yeah momentum is def real.

Anyway I was cruising in UT seasons and I ran into 2 consecutive (yes TWO!!!) guys who had Messi and Ronaldo.

That shit should be illegal imo

kaizoku

Welcome to my world. After experiencing exactly these symptoms since FIFA '06 I'm 100% convinced that it's 100% to do with the game attempting to balance the peer-to-peer online connection and using some fucked-up lag compensation algorithms that don't function properly.

Maybe Fifa 14 will finally have dedicated servers, and not just a background monitor of the p2p connection...

Edit:

See above.

I would blame the netcode (as I do for most games where I get owned online) but this shit happens offline too. I once lost 6-0 to QPR as Man City, literally couldn't do a thing about it.

I play the game too much and I think I can recognise when a game is laggy vs when momentum is on. I can win a game when its laggy, I just have to do everything a second before it happens on screen so it's almost like playing chess on paper.

But momentum is where you can't do anything. It's as if the game gives you glitched custom tactics or sets your players speed sliders lower than the other teams speed sliders. Lag doesnt account for your strikers hitting the post 5 times in a game or the GK making the best saves ever or your players inexplicable decision to part like the red sea letting them through on goal.

Only other explanation is we sometimes err as human beings, lose our patience, forget how to defend, charge around trying to win the ball and against good players this will get you destroyed.

Mascot

I would blame the netcode (as I do for most games where I get owned online) but this shit happens offline too. I once lost 6-0 to QPR as Man City, literally couldn't do a thing about it.

I play the game too much and I think I can recognise when a game is laggy vs when momentum is on. I can win a game when its laggy, I just have to do everything a second before it happens on screen so it's almost like playing chess on paper.

But momentum is where you can't do anything. It's as if the game gives you glitched custom tactics or sets your players speed sliders lower than the other teams speed sliders. Lag doesnt account for your strikers hitting the post 5 times in a game or the GK making the best saves ever or your players inexplicable decision to part like the red sea letting them through on goal.

Only other explanation is we sometimes err as human beings, lose our patience, forget how to defend, charge around trying to win the ball and against good players this will get you destroyed.

I don't really play offline against the cpu so have always assumed it's an online issue.
Maybe it's not a deliberate 'momentum' issue (which EA have always denied the existence of), maybe it's faulty 'tiredness' values, ie your team starts the match with mental and physical stats already fully depleted as if it's the last minute of a long match?

kaizoku

I don't really play offline against the cpu so have always assumed it's an online issue.
Maybe it's not a deliberate 'momentum' issue (which EA have always denied the existence of), maybe it's faulty 'tiredness' values, ie your team starts the match with mental and physical stats already fully depleted as if it's the last minute of a long match?

Playing against the CPU is AI boring because the game seems to just decide "ok it's time for me to play well" or "ok time to play shit" and it feels the same whether you're playing against Barcelona or Stoke.

The momentum stuff rears its head in offline multiplayer and it's exactly the same as playing online. You'll run around feeling like you have no control and your mate will have the easiest game.

I suppose it keeps the online interesting, never know what's gonna happen.

SumGamer

Yeah momentum is def real.

Anyway I was cruising in UT seasons and I ran into 2 consecutive (yes TWO!!!) guys who had Messi and Ronaldo.

That shit should be illegal imo

I faced Messi about three times now. One of them also have Ronaldo. Another one has Real Madrid/Barca hybrid. The latest one has Falcao and Soldado with Messi behind them I think.

Beat them all, probably the handicap or whatever kicked in. They were playing awful.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I faced Messi about three times now. One of them also have Ronaldo. Another one has Real Madrid/Barca hybrid. The latest one has Falcao and Soldado with Messi behind them I think.

Beat them all, probably the handicap or whatever kicked in. They were playing awful.

Yeah I don't know what to think when I see an incredible team. AA was right some of these kids just have their mom's credit card or some thing.

The 2 guys I played with messi and ronaldo were pretty good. Bout to get to division 1 I think.

I have:

Muriel - Falcao - Cuadrado

Montolivo - Marchisio - Guarin

Pretty good imo. Muriel is ridiculously fast but he also is strong so he can maintain the ball. Falcao should honestly be faster though

Well, I wheeled and dealed trying to make a MLS Pace team...this is what i came up with

I cant afford the CB's yet (Ike Opara and Marvell Wynn) both go for 20k...
Would make for a great speedy/chemistry back line. All from American, all same league.

Luckily its not to pricey to play around with American players or MLS guys lol

I was wondering too, if you guys could help answer a question for me...what do I do with all my coach/manager/staff cards? I heard you just keep them all in your club and they all work for the team?
I use Di Matteo as manager for my squads usually just cause he is 4-1-2-1-2..but I have 2 or 3 pages of managers/trainers/etc.. what do you do with them and how to play them?
If someone could explain the staff cards to me if would be a big help.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Gamestop preorder pack is up btw.

got a shitty pack though. I swear I get better packs when I use fifa points as opposed to coins

smh

brentech

Gamestop preorder pack is up btw.

got a shitty pack though. I swear I get better packs when I use fifa points as opposed to coins

smh
The pre order packs are just basic gold packs, not the ones with 3 rares. I've only used coins outside of my pre orders. Have had decent lot to date,but early on it was all kind of meh.

brentech

Well, I wheeled and dealed trying to make a MLS Pace team...this is what i came up with

I cant afford the CB's yet (Ike Opara and Marvell Wynn) both go for 20k...
Would make for a great speedy/chemistry back line. All from American, all same league.

Luckily its not to pricey to play around with American players or MLS guys lol

I was wondering too, if you guys could help answer a question for me...what do I do with all my coach/manager/staff cards? I heard you just keep them all in your club and they all work for the team?
I use Di Matteo as manager for my squads usually just cause he is 4-1-2-1-2..but I have 2 or 3 pages of managers/trainers/etc.. what do you do with them and how to play them?
If someone could explain the staff cards to me if would be a big help.
Staff cards only have an effect when you use a corresponding consumable card on a player/coach. They increase the value of the stats added or injury games taken off. That said, they essentially go unused for me.

And I really like your idea with the MLS team. I gotta put something together like that.

-Stranger-

I've been playing FIFA 12 for the last couple of weeks, I'm enjoying it.
I was thinking about upgrading to FIFA 13, is the gameplay improved considerably?
I imagine the online community would be more active in 13...

JLG-

I am doing a similar team to that MLS team. Except mine is a silver Mexican league team + the Dos Santos brothers. Gio was super expensive, i paid like 25k for him. I see a bunch auctions of him up for 100K.. O_O

EUq3u.png

I'm saving up for Arellano (92 pace ST) and Rosinei (CM). They'll be replacing Luis Garcia and Crosas. They're both going for like 8000 coins.

I've been using this Bronze MLS Team for a while now, http://www.ea.com/uk/football/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#gAPbmAhcnHUSH:ps3

Balchan is a fantastic CDM, a bronze Ramires, also Songo'o has 4 star skills so is awesome for a bronze and I don't know what it is but Paolo Junior always scores goals for me. Jose Villareal is also a fantastic player, he is really reliable and shows not everyone needs high pace to be good.

I adapted it into this All-American team for the current tournament http://www.ea.com/uk/football/fifa-ultimate-team/show-off#f1PwOhBvnHUSF:ps3

Tony Cacsio is a hidden gem, 5 star weak foot, 82 pace and only 400.

kaizoku

I fucking hate this game. It's just so fake. Just had one of those games where my players were hitting their headers wide from 6 yards out over and over again and shots couldn't get off cos my players kept trying to take gigantic swings at the ball and inevitably got closed down.

Where the AI seems to read my every move and pushes forward to intercept passes whilst my own AI stands back and let's the other team have every loose ball.

At one point the AI actually took control of the player I was controlling, I was running in a straight line chasing a winger and it made my defender do a big clockwise circle, like a plane doing a loop the loop. I was just holding straight the whole time. Ridiculous.

I've only had about 5 games from 90 where I felt like the other guy was giving me a good contest and I wouldn't have minded losing.

6 Wins and 3 Draws so far with this pace team. Also won Division 1 and opened the pack got Dede and a 4-1-2-1-2 Shurrle...not bad at all considering my luck.

I fucking hate this game. It's just so fake. Just had one of those games where my players were hitting their headers wide from 6 yards out over and over again and shots couldn't get off cos my players kept trying to take gigantic swings at the ball and inevitably got closed down.

Where the AI seems to read my every move and pushes forward to intercept passes whilst my own AI stands back and let's the other team have every loose ball.

At one point the AI actually took control of the player I was controlling, I was running in a straight line chasing a winger and it made my defender do a big clockwise circle, like a plane doing a loop the loop. I was just holding straight the whole time. Ridiculous.

I've only had about 5 games from 90 where I felt like the other guy was giving me a good contest and I wouldn't have minded losing.

Exactly how I feel. Honestly wouldn't mind if next year there are no new features just fix what's there.

Any tips on managing room for cards?

I seem to get overloaded with consumables but dont wanna part with anything :/

Anything that I should just quick sell? I'm actually "storing" stuff in my trade pile just cause I reached the 75 card limit. Is leavign things in "unassigned" a bad idea? Will they vanish?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Any tips on managing room for cards?

I seem to get overloaded with consumables but dont wanna part with anything :/

Anything that I should just quick sell? I'm actually "storing" stuff in my trade pile just cause I reached the 75 card limit. Is leavign things in "unassigned" a bad idea? Will they vanish?

Sell contracts after your team has 30+ of them. Also apply fitness cards to players with less than 70 fitness.

My team that has been workin' peeps:

untitled.png

Seriously if you run a 4-3-3 with heavy attacking my back line is godly with Armero - Silvestre - Gamberini - Caceres is god tier.

Abbiati as keeper is great too.

I don't get burned on the counter at all anymore. Won 9/11 or something and only lost to the mess/ronaldo douchebags.

I have pace and size. No more giving up corner or cross goals

T-0800

Have any of you played FIFA 14 with the Move? I tried it today for the first time and was shocked how well it worked. I was surprised to begin to with as I expected to use a controller to control the player along with the Move but it's all 100% Move controlled. Scoring goals is very satisfying as you can actually just point and shoot.

I'm convinced this something in FUT games that makes fouls get over looked. My guys can get trucked sometimes and the ref doesnt do a thing. Slides from behind, thrown 10-15 feet etc..

Ah well, played 2 games tonight with my MLS/US guys...lost to a EPL mix team by a goal then on my second game vs. a City/United squad I was up by 1 goal at 86'....then the mega storm knocked out my power for 15 minutes...

Got a DNF...

Keio

For a Finer World
Yesterday night was definitely the good, bad and the ugly of FIFA for me.

Won the Silver Cup in UT with very solid play, keeping the pace teams at bay with going "Defensive" and switching to Possession tactic for every game (that seems to make a huge difference).

In the final was playing a guy with a bronze team with every player +10'd. No skill at all, just crazy LB+Y spam. Ended up 2-2 and then winning on penalties. Get "LOL you suck" message and then after a friendly "You lost. Live with it." reply a few more with more and more expletives and various derogatory comments about my skill level.

Sigh.

Then Division 1: straight 3 game losing streak including a game where I hit the woodwork 5 times. Went to the break 2-0 down with 11 shots from me vs 2 shots & goals from my opponent. Sometimes this game seems like Liverpool's season in real life ;) After heavy losses I went to make a smoothie, relaxed, went back and got a 5-0 win.

I think the momentum thing is really tricky. On some level I'm 100% sure it exists. But I also notice myself ending in a mental cramp, holding RB+A while defending instead of thinking. Stupid mistakes in passing, opening from a goalkeeper straight to the opponent etc.

sun-drop

any one else finding the online UT turnys fairly empty compared to previous years?

from the coin payoff stakes yr far better off playing UT seasons ...but every now and then i need to give my gold squad a break :/

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Have any of you played FIFA 14 with the Move? I tried it today for the first time and was shocked how well it worked. I was surprised to begin to with as I expected to use a controller to control the player along with the Move but it's all 100% Move controlled. Scoring goals is very satisfying as you can actually just point and shoot.

:O

I only play ultimate team though. My back line is super fast and they are huge and strong. Of course if the other team has ronaldo or messi I may get scored on but Abbiati is god tier in fifa like in real life.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else have problems where the game seems to forget there's a controller connected to the console? (360)

Almost daily I have to restart the game because it just stops working. If I turn the controller off it shows the screen where you pick a team again but I can't do anything.

It's definitely the game because I can press the guide button and use that.

kaizoku

My team that has been workin' peeps:

untitled.png

Seriously if you run a 4-3-3 with heavy attacking my back line is godly with Armero - Silvestre - Gamberini - Caceres is god tier.

Abbiati as keeper is great too.

I don't get burned on the counter at all anymore. Won 9/11 or something and only lost to the mess/ronaldo douchebags.

I have pace and size. No more giving up corner or cross goals

I thought I had size with Diakite, Ogbonna and Chiellini, these guys are monstrous in the air, especially Diakite who is 192cm or 6'3" and has 93 strength, 88 jump and 85 head. But it feels like these mean nothing if the game has decided you're gonna lose. I've had him lose headers to pint size strikers like Hernandez and Muriel, and that's from a position where he is infront and looks like the favourite.

Not intending to moan more but wanted to ask you to keep us updated about whether your boys keep it up or if they eventually start looking slower and weaker for no obvious reason.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I thought I had size with Diakite, Ogbonna and Chiellini, these guys are monstrous in the air, especially Diakite who is 192cm or 6'3" and has 93 strength, 88 jump and 85 head. But it feels like these mean nothing if the game has decided you're gonna lose. I've had him lose headers to pint size strikers like Hernandez and Muriel, and that's from a position where he is infront and looks like the favourite.

Not intending to moan more but wanted to ask you to keep us updated about whether your boys keep it up or if they eventually start looking slower and weaker for no obvious reason.

Sure. Caceres is a beast in the air and he has good pace so he can help with the attack.

tbf Muriel has ridiculous jumping ability, pace, and strength.

JLG-

FUT matchmaking is still a joke! I wanted to play a match with my all silver squad and i get matched up with a gold madrid/barca squad. fuck this.

Top Bottom