• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Kumubou

SC2 is the only ranking system I truly respect in games.
Haven't a lot of other games (from LoL to KI) basically ripped this system off? Or a lighter variation of it, where you can only get demoted from within your league but not straight out of it (until you high the e-sports tier ranks, anyway).

I actually like how KI makes ranked matches 2/3 games once you hit the highest tier. It's a good twist and it probably helps address the longer queue times.

The worst one was how VF5 vanilla handled it. At a certain point, you had to get to a rank and then win five games in a row against people exactly one rank below you. One loss in those games demoted you (and you had to rank back up to get another shot), and nothing else counted. Made trying to get to higher ranks stupidly hard and random.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The worst one was how VF5 vanilla handled it. At a certain point, you had to get to a rank and then win five games in a row against people exactly one rank below you. One loss in those games demoted you (and you had to rank back up to get another shot), and nothing else counted. Made trying to get to higher ranks stupidly hard and random.

Are you talking about vanilla VF5? FS doesn't work like that

mbpm1

I really don't know why people are going in so hard on Smug. How often does anyone from America do well when playing in Japan? It's not even about the skill gap; it's just hard even if it was an otherwise even match.

It says VF5 vanilla right there. :p

It's not like it's just Americans either, as others have pointed out. 0-7 Infiltration would beg to differ.

Horseress

I want more SF5 news D:

Charlie trailer seems like such a long time ago, even though it really wasnt.

~5 months since the game's reveal and only three characters announced (and one teased). No idea how they'll announce the rest of the cast. One at a time is not likely, unless they start revealing characters every week at some point

Devid905

If you guys want more SFV news, you need to purchase the May issue of EDGE magazine, featuring an interview with Ono: https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/details/Edge?id=CAowu5-hAQ&hl=en_GB

BU5Cqaat6g83moJ2rpxOqXdw0egQrkYzgtgvtU9RaHtnwrm9X70_R0_IqeB0LCHluWV-eHtKekY=h900

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Capcom Cup.

Hopefully the game will make a splash at E3.

I'm pretty sure that they are going to have Street Fighter announcement at E3 in Sony Conference and EVO.

However I would love to have one this month then we would have a break between this month to June.

fader

I can't wait to learn how to read it's gonna be awesome

it's really an amazing skill

~5 months since the game's reveal and only three characters announced (and one teased). No idea how they'll announce the rest of the cast. One at a time is not likely, unless they start revealing characters every week at some point

I think they are going to do a somewhat psudo-KI reveal, they seemed to be really enamored with how KI did their game.

Sayad

It seems the Q&A section of the presentation is borked but there was one dumbfuck who was arguing that the way Arc did their artstyle wouldn't work at all into an open world RPG, and Motomura replied "yeah... good thing we knew we were making a fighting game!"
I thought it was obvious their style wouldn't work in any game with a free camera.

ShinMaruku

I really don't know why people are going in so hard on Smug. How often does anyone from America do well when playing in Japan? It's not even about the skill gap; it's just hard even if it was an otherwise even match.

To be fair I think they'll be hard on anybody who its blowing up in the US getting humbled in the US. Also I think it's frustration when a hometown darling getting blown up in Japan proving that the US in general is not up the snuff in other regions.

I think Smug will improve from it.

I love what art said about the NY scene and what Hamad said about hiding tech it's exactly how I feel.

Kumubou

I think they are going to do a somewhat psudo-KI reveal, they seemed to be really enamored with how KI did their game.
If Capcom rips off all of the random little (and not so little) things the new KI gets right, it would be one of the smartest things they've done in a while. I hope that actually happens (or Sony at least slaps enough sense into them to do it).

alstein

I wonder if anything can be concluded from that Steamspy data in regards to Skullgirls, and the fact you can now see game correlations.

While I suspect the Skullgirls data itself might be noise due to the free weekend, I did look it from the perspective of two other games: KOF98 and 100% Orange Juice (I used 98 as an example of a game that would be largely hardcore FG fans, and 100% as a game known for being pretty casual) A good bit of the Skullgirls top correlations were other free weekend/FTP games, so that kinda enforces my belief I'm right on free weekends heavily skewing data, especially for non-AAA games.

KOF98 had 23% correlation, 100% had 33%. 100% is a much higher selling game to boot.

If Capcom rips off all of the random little (and not so little) things the new KI gets right, it would be one of the smartest things they've done in a while. I hope that actually happens (or Sony at least slaps enough sense into them to do it).

Agreed here as well. I've been really impressed with the way KI has been handled all-around, even if it's not my type of game.

I guess I'm a little late to the party but I just watched Smug's match vs Daigo an hour ago. I missed it because of work. I also rewatched Smug's match against Bonchan. Those matches were brutal for him, and he had to deal with both on the same day. Both Bonchan and Daigo were ready everytime he would use ducking to try and get in. Daigo practically danced around him while Bonchan would switch back and forth from being a wall to bullying Smug.

Unfortunately for Smug I see him getting blown up one more time, and that's against Sako. But from then I think he'll do good/decent against the rest of the comp. I think he'll beat Xiaohai and Poongko. Momochi, Xian, and Luffy are going to be tough for him. But I think even if he loses those matches he puts up a good fight. Regardless of what happens I hope he tries to have a good time in Japan and not let the results(if they're not good) ruin this chance of a lifetime for him.

Unfortunately for Smug I see him getting blown up one more time, and that's against Sako. But from then I think he'll do good/decent against the rest of the comp. I think he'll beat Xiaohai and Poongko. Momochi, Xian, and Luffy are going to be tough for him. But I think even if he loses those matches he puts up a good fight. Regardless of what happens I hope he tries to have a good time in Japan and not let the results(if they're not good) ruin this chance of a lifetime for him.

I think Xian has it in the bag.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
NWM Marvel looks to be pretty stacked; FChamp, ChrisG, and JWong all confirmed to come, and I believe PR Rog is coming too.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I still watch Cardcaptor today though

nah I'm just starting

Oh man, its the one anime where it digresses from the original manga but did it so damn well. You'll get the feeling of when "oh wow, was this the ending?! I wanted more!" then actually get more episodes to watch! I might rewatch the series when I can watch it in blu-ray format. if you want another show that kind of along the same vein, watch Full Moon O Sagashite, give the first 5 eps a try.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So Topanga is offering prize money for top 8. I thought that was not legal in Japan? Really good payout overall.

I wonder why Twitch Japan did not approach these guys to host the PPV. To be honest though I'm guessing 100% you can still get around twitch paywall simply by viewing by mobile app STILL. lol.

Xian vs Smug last time they played: First game was close. 2nd game was not. Will be good to see how this plays out in FT5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WoRhlWElM

Wtf just noticed PR Rog was in Xian corner coaching him. Smh lol.

Edit:

Sanford just lost to Coach Steve haha the salt is real. ROFL.

Exr

Stop with the Cardcaptors
I just googled it and now im probably on a list
Stop forever
Beef who do you play in Smash. Smash 4 I assume?

Top Bottom