• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Ghost Rider changes IMO:
- Double Jump(Captain style)
- more Hitstun on Jump.H.
- Bike Hyper o frame startup (ie. Stars&Stripes,Princess,Rage Trigger..etc)

Hobobloke

I didn't get it, but JB hifi have it for $69 with $77 for the blackest night edition.

Thought I saw it in JB for for the same price as EB but probably just saw the blackest night edition and didn't realise. The EB Games I got it from had just opened up so everything was discounted and it worked out to be $65 anyway.

I hope I'm not the only one who watched Art's Injustice stream and thought the story mode was just...overly long and really, really dumb.
Compared to P4A's story mode, which people like to put on a pedestal of fighting game storytelling for some reason, it's like Oscar-worthy writing. Also the pop offs in story mode were amazing.

I've finished the unlock sharing from last night so I'll be doing a final round of iOS costume unlock sharing (detailed in this post) later on in the day to celebrate the release. It'll probably be sometime late afternoon EST. Have your WBID email and password (feel free to temporarily change it if you'd like) ready to PM me with when I'll be accepting submissions.

Venfayth

Compared to P4A's story mode, which people like to put on a pedestal of fighting game storytelling for some reason, it's like Oscar-worthy writing. Also the pop offs in story mode were amazing.

What? People like P4A's story mode?

I'll tell you that SMT fans certainly don't like it.

Beckx

"like it was Oscar-worthy" is one of those sneering gamer slams that we can do without.

P4A was "more Persona" (and more P3 in particular) which was more than enough for me. I'm not expecting much from Injustice based on the spoiler about the set-up I saw yesterday (seems like someone decided to half-ass a Mark Waid plot) but open minded. We shall see.

Yes, probably make another shitty game. No offense, but Skullgirls is really boring, in my opinion. I wouldn't want anyone making a new DS game except the original Dirty Beret team and that's never happening. The next best would be arcsys since some of the Dirty Beret guys are still there.
Arcsys would make a shitty DS game too. Especially when getting advice to these JP companies can be so hard a process. At least with Mike we'd get the straight yes and no and our opinions. This is coming from someone who basically gets 1-2 questions answered directly by the man weekly during the Salty Cupakes streams.
The patch sped up the gameplay slightly, though not to VS level (VS is a little too fast for my liking) There's still a little too much stupidly long comboing for my tastes, but anime game dudes like stupidly long combos as much as they love body pillows. ^_^

I agree on the restands being something I don't like either- If Skullgirls ever got a sequel, I'd hope to see it move away from the MVC2 homage into something more Darkstalkers-ish.
Unfortunately this is a versus inspired game. That probably won't change for the foreseeable future. If Mike wanted to make something more 1v1 and SFish he said things would be MUCH more tame.

What? People like P4A's story mode?

I'll tell you that SMT fans certainly don't like it.
It was one of the bullet points players were pushing around the time the game released. Something about it being the most in depth story mode in any fighting game ever or whatever.

Anyways one of my friends is a big comic book fan and I think I'm going to attempt to get him to get Injustice based on what I saw in the story mode. Too bad the demo doesn't have the first chapter or so of story.

Dahbomb

How can we make ghost rider as good as magneto?
Well it's hard to balance a character so that they are as good as Magneto... technically not even some of the best characters are as good as Magneto because of how versatile he is.

But making Ghost Rider so that he is a tournament staple character is not that hard once you identify what his main weaknesses are.

*No way to hit someone air to air or at super jump height. This is a hole in his design which allows him to get zoned out by super jumper.

Fix: Give him the ability to use moves like Chain of Rebuttal in the air (a forward mid air whip attack that causes wall bounce and some chip damage). FChamp's fix was that they just give him a new normal which is mapped to f+H in the air which is essentially the same thing only IMO giving him Chain of Rebuttal is an easier fix.

*No real way to pressure blocking opponents aside from making them block assists. This makes his "zoning" non threatening and gives you plenty of time to cheese him out or open him up.

Fix: You can make some of his normals do chip damage. I don't want all normals to do chip damage but he needs some threat on his whip even if you block them.

*No way to legitimately open up the opponent.

Fix: This is optional IMO because if you give him chip on normal he probably doesn't need this. If you don't give him chip on normals like FChamp, then you need to give him Skrull like mid screen command grabs. You can charge some of his grab specials so that they become a true command grab. This would be balanced because the start up would be high.

*Generally bad hypers

Fix: The bike hyper should be very invincible and the whirling chain hyper should be very safe on block. While many characters still can't punish it, it's still negative on block when it's a hyper meant to create space and make clutch breathing room for him.

*Terrible aerial hit confirms

Fix: Normally Ghost Rider has a hard time doing basic MMHS or confirming a combo off a raw launcher. This is because of his j.H. If you make it special cancellable into an aerial Chain of Rebuttal you can probably fix this issue. Or you can give him a ground bounce follow up to st.S like Vergil has one but you can only do it once.

*Some special moves are still not good at all

Fix: His Yoga fires should be chargeable and be releasable as full screen fireballs like Firebrand's fireballs. The one that he points to the ground should create a flame carpet. Options changes but it would make him a more complete zoning character IMO.

FChamp also gave him a double jump which IMO is fine because it doesn't really change much on his design. Not enough characters in the game have double jump as it is.

Beckx

Theory: "more & bigger (read: MovieGame) single player story stuff" is the last thing fighters need. Put all the budget you'd put behind that into figuring out how to make better AI fights & better tutorials.

Injustice's biggest strides may be in providing what the games really need: things like the ability to overlay movelists on screen while you're playing.

Theory: "more & bigger (read: MovieGame) single player story stuff" is the last thing fighters need. Put all the budget you'd put behind that into figuring out how to make better AI fights & better tutorials.

Injustice's biggest strides may be in providing what the games really need: things like the ability to overlay movelists on screen while you're playing.
Frame data in training mode is really nice, too.

Really though, the #1 thing money should go toward in a fighting game, past the actual gameplay, is netcode.

I wouldn't bother with improving AI fights in any serious tutorial capacity. No matter what, it won't prepare people for real humans.

But helping make online practice mode a standard, more robust options for practice mode, in-game frame data and movelist overlay are good starts. If they added a better tutorial that taught people the fundamentals then that would've been great (Skullgirls is the only recent fighter that has made a step towards that, but all devs seriously need to go way beyond). And I agree Karsticles, better netcode helps keep people motivated to play even if they don't have a scene.

Beckx

I wouldn't bother with improving AI fights in any serious tutorial capacity. No matter what, it won't prepare people for real humans.

Sorry, didn't mean to link those thoughts - better AI opponents make for more enjoyable single player content. Who enjoys playing against move-readers and cheap AI? The final boss fights of SFIV and Skullgirls are a huge drag. (Real shame for Skullgirls, because I think it does single player well: there's an engrossing world setup, but not much exposition, leaving it to the imagination of the players to flesh out details.)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54122592]VF4 says hi[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I've never been so engrossed in single player content as I was with VF3's Kumite and VF4's quest modes.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54122592]VF4 says hi[/QUOTE]

I actually heard good things about VF4:Evo when it came out but never got it. How is Goh as a character? Playstyle? If I ever get into VF I'd want to play him or one of the wrestlers.

Sorry, didn't mean to link those thoughts - better AI opponents make for more enjoyable single player content. Who enjoys playing against move-readers and cheap AI? The final boss fights of SFIV and Skullgirls are a huge drag. (Real shame for Skullgirls, because I think it does single player well: there's an engrossing world setup, but not much exposition, leaving it to the imagination of the players to flesh out details.)
They nerfed Marie iirc. I haven't tried it to see how much. Hmm... I'm gonna try that today. Hopefully the PS3 holds for a single high difficulty playthrough.

Edit:
The mysterious final boss has received the following adjustments:

*All attacks now give the opponent meter on hit or block
*Added a glow to small skulls to make them easier to see
*She can now be hit-stunned if she receives damage quickly enough, and more easily by Blockbuster attacks
I can't believe we couldn't build meter before outside of outright hitting her. No wonder Peacock was the only one who could handle her LOL.

Sheroking

Combo practice in an environment that isn't training mode?

For the record, there actually is a lot you can do in some games with the AI. Like the very hard mode in UMVC3 will block cross-ups that few humans actually will, so it helps you train for when they do block it.

Combo practice in an environment that isn't training mode?

For the record, there actually is a lot you can do in some games with the AI. Like the very hard mode in UMVC3 will block cross-ups that few humans actually will, so it helps you train for when they do block it.

While all that sounds good and probably works great for a chaotic game like Marvel to practice reactions with I think it's just plain better to get out there and fight real people. Fight newbies, regulars, high-level players whatever. Just build up your experience against real people because at the end of the day that's who you want to fight anyway.

I actually heard good things about VF4:Evo when it came out but never got it. How is Goh as a character? Playstyle? If I ever get into VF I'd want to play him or one of the wrestlers.

The wrestlers are super popular in VF because the animations are really cool, but I only play Jacky(maybe a little Brad or Akira on the side, nothing serious). I like vanilla VF4 better than EVO, though.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54124755]The wrestlers are super popular in VF because the animations are really cool, but I only play Jacky(maybe a little Brad or Akira on the side, nothing serious). I like vanilla VF4 better than EVO, though.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I was still in the Philippines when VF4 came out and it was all about Tekken so I didn't really give VF a shot unfortunately.

alstein

Goh is to me, the grappler version of Akira- harder execution, but you get rewarded for it by having a char who is derpier strategically. I mean, even that fraud Haunts played Goh.

As for the wrestlers- Taka's the best of the bunch, but he's weird because of how fat he is, the game plays differently with him. Wolf's good, he can bully folks, Blaze is good for swag , but has real issues with reach and is high-risk (and is the 2nd-lightest character in the game, some juggles hurt him more if your opponent knows them)

Goh is pretty awesome and he has some brutal looking throws especially off a half-wall.

Goh is to me, the grappler version of Akira- harder execution, but you get rewarded for it by having a char who is derpier strategically. I mean, even that fraud Haunts played Goh.

As for the wrestlers- Taka's the best of the bunch, but he's weird because of how fat he is, the game plays differently with him. Wolf's good, he can bully folks, Blaze is good for swag , but has real issues with reach and is high-risk (and is the 2nd-lightest character in the game, some juggles hurt him more if your opponent knows them)

Yeah Goh seems awesome to me. And that's great that Wolf is good. I like to try to main a character that has been there from the start/iconic within the series so that they have a good chance of being there in every installment.

TheChits

The best team
tumblr_m8ync9cebV1qeiz7po1_500.png

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

VF4:Evo is very good, so is Goh. But Quest isn't a good enough reason to play it instead of VF5FS, imo. Just pick up the newest game - it's great.

VF4:Evo is very good, so is Goh. But Quest isn't a good enough reason to play it instead of VF5FS, imo. Just pick up the newest game - it's great.

Oh yeah I knew the community would be on the latest game, just saying that everything I've heard of VF4:Evo was positive. And I bought VF5FS just out of support cause I respect what I've seen of the series from the outside.

oneida

VF4:Evo is like $0.01 these days - pick it up, play the amazing tutorial, check out Quest mode, then put it away and come play VF5FS with the us :) And watch the SEGA Cup this Saturday!

Also check out this A+++ tutorial if you want to start playing VF srsly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boM7T3BWewY

soakrates

I don't know a whole lot about Goh (or the other grapplers for that matter), but he is kind of a strange character from what I can tell. Sort of a striker/grappler hybrid with really good whiff punishes who can force some mean guessing games.

Wolf is very good, but requires taking some big risks. His throws are damaging so people have to respect them, which opens up other aspects of his game. Also, he's one of the heaviest characters and generally won't take a ton of damage if he gets launched.

El Blaze is good even though he's low tier. He has some neat oki and backturned setups, and mix-ups from his run. Tons of fun to use in my admittedly limited play time with him. To me he's the least grapper-like of the grapplers though.

I don't know a whole lot about Goh (or the other grapplers for that matter), but he is kind of a strange character from what I can tell. Sort of a striker/grappler hybrid with really good whiff punishes who can force some mean guessing games.

Wolf is very good, but requires taking some big risks. His throws are damaging so people have to respect them, which opens up other aspects of his game. Also, he's one of the heaviest characters and generally won't take a ton of damage if he gets launched.

El Blaze is good even though he's low tier. He has some neat oki and backturned setups, and mix-ups from his run. Tons of fun to use in my admittedly limited play time with him. To me he's the least grapper-like of the grapplers though.

It's funny. Even from the outside, when I saw El Blaze introduced into VF I suspected he'd be low tier. A character that energetic, fun and hype is destined to be underused in any fighting game :(

oneida

With all this talk about VF, have we heard who is coming to play in the Sega Cup?

I'll be there! :) Flying in from EC.

I think after the Cup I wanna pick up Wolf. He's a cool guy.

It's funny. Even from the outside, when I saw El Blaze introduced into VF I suspected he'd be low tier. A character that energetic, fun and hype is destined to be underused in any fighting game :(

Pfff he's not a bad character. He made it to EVO GF last year.

Beckx

So Sega Cup is getting streamed by LevelUpLive? What are the times?

I've got VF5 from PS+ but still haven't put any time into it. So many fond memories of 2 and 3, but never played 4.

Top Bottom