• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

Shouta

With all this talk about VF, have we heard who is coming to play in the Sega Cup?

I'm heading down Friday afternoon. Hopefully in time for the team tournament.

It's funny. Even from the outside, when I saw El Blaze introduced into VF I suspected he'd be low tier. A character that energetic, fun and hype is destined to be underused in any fighting game :(

Low-tier doesn't mean suck in VF. They tend to mean very little overall because the game's systems allow you to mitigate a lot of stuff that would make the tiers much more rigid like in other fighting games.

alstein

I am really upset I couldn't make Sega Cup.

With Sequestration and job losses, folks have quit here so I can't get the time off, and even if I could, job loss means I shouldn't spend the money. I hope I can hit TFC (Evo looks unlikely for same reason)

soakrates

I'll be at Sega Cup. NorCal is bringing about 15 people. Apparently there's also a team tourney going on the night before that I didn't hear about until a few days ago.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Low-tier doesn't mean suck in VF.

Very true. I think most VFers would agree that it is a game of common denominators (LA Akira's words, I think) - match-up knowledge is important for sure, but not nearly as important as it is in Street Fighter or UMvC3. It's more about reads, because very few situations result in guaranteed damage.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
I don't think I can make it to NCR. My ride fell through and I have to work on my stupid campus magazine. I wanted nothing more than to play in that DiveKick tourny :(

Shouta

I'll be at Sega Cup. NorCal is bringing about 15 people. Apparently there's also a team tourney going on the night before that I didn't hear about until a few days ago.

I think the team tourney has been in talks for a few weeks now. I know Plague was talking about it for sure. It should be interesting though. I think they're running it using teams of 3 like how SBO and other VF events do it?

PNW is bringing at least 10ish, I think. If not more.

Low-tier doesn't mean suck in VF. They tend to mean very little overall because the game's systems allow you to mitigate a lot of stuff that would make the tiers much more rigid like in other fighting games.

Is it a system like SF3's parries which theoretically (but not realistically) does some of the mitigating?

Shouta

Is it a system like SF3's parries which theoretically (but not realistically) does some of the mitigating?

Nah, it's much more complicated than that. It's a combination of pretty solid RPS-style interaction combined with good defensive options and smart creation of frames. The game only has a few situations where you can get big, guaranteed damage otherwise, it's about playing back and forth along with reading your opponents habits and knowing the options.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

It's nothing as cut-and-dry as a parry or baroque mechanic, the game's system itself is designed such that every situation has several good answers to it. VF is not so much about the character you pick as it is about how you play them.

Sounds wonky, I know, you might have to just sit down with it to see what I mean.

/edit/ I wonder if we could call cd fuzzy VF's "parry"?

soakrates

Bring glory to norcal! I'd monster it up but it looks like I'm going to picnic day.
Hah, we'll do our best. We have some strong players but I'd reckon there's a killer in every region, plus there are some characters most of us are unfamiliar with. I'm just hoping I don't run into any Jackys.

DRE Fei

Hah, we'll do our best. We have some strong players but I'd reckon there's a killer in every region, plus there are some characters most of us are unfamiliar with. I'm just hoping I don't run into any Jackys.

It's like Jacky central here in socal dude. Everyone uses him. Maybe you can just play a ton of casuals to get that exp while you're here.

I'll be at Super Arcade on Wednesday for some VF and Injustice and of course on Saturday for Sega Cup. I'm not sure about Friday team tournament though.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
lol Honzo so free to DSP

lHfs2Ry.jpg

Nabs

Yeah, David went full troll for a minute there. I still don't get what Chris G was talking about with that last one.

@protomcannon is a pretty good twitter name.

hahaha now chrisg is mad at ultradavid

For reference:

Christopher Gonzalez ‏@NYChrisG 4m

@ultradavid damn you want attention..... Pretty sad for a grown man.

Yo Chris I like your play and all but seriously stay off Twitter for a few days man. You're falling from my ranks of favorite players quickly at this point.

Speaking of Twitter,

Justin Wong on Twitter said:
What did John Cena do to get ppl to hate him? I stopped watching Wrestling for a bit. Just wondering.. He was always a good guy right?

Ca..can you really not understand why people hate Cena, Justin?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
JWong is a rasslin supermark. He likes the good guys and hates the bad guys no matter what.

Anyway, it dawned on me the other day that Twitter is just a slow-ass chat room.

Beckx

In my mind, I'm imagining the hilarity of them fighting for reals next time they see each other.

(I bet ChrisG uses the windmill.)

Top Bottom