• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 11-17 | RIP Hitokage

petran79

Banned
Weren't talking to me, but I feel the need to address some of this.

There are always top-tiers, but there aren't always 3S Chun Li's. Next to ST Akuma, she's probably the most broken character in all of mainline Street Fighter. There definitely isn't an SF4 equivalent, not even AE Yun.

Thomasorus points out that interest in 2D fighters was diminished during the time of Street Fighter III. But it was diminished all the way until Street Fighter IV was announced and released. IV was the game that changed that, which it deserves credit for.

also the latest revision of 3S had removed unblockable moves from Urien and Q, invalidating part of their game. So players chose the previous revisions instead.
Or else things would be even worse regarding character representation.

Compare this to SF4 complaints about the latest character nerfs and buffs.

SF4's secret to success is by being the sequel to SF2 that we've never really had.

Also, 3S got plenty of hate in its day for being the "entry-level fighting game" of the time period, just like the hate SF4 gets today. People hated MvC2 for the same reasons they hate UMvC3

Kimosabae

Banned
SF4's secret to success is by being the sequel to SF2 that we've never really had.

Also, 3S got plenty of hate in its day for being the "entry-level fighting game" of the time period, just like the hate SF4 gets today. People hated MvC2 for the same reasons they hate UMvC3

Boggles my mind that till this day, people aren't conscious of the fact that increasing accessibility is a focus for just about every sequel since the beginning of time, regardless of medium or genre.

Falling in love with creative works is a death sentence for reason.

CPS2

I always wanted 3s to have more links and always wanted sf4 to have more juggles. If only there was a game like that, with say a tag system, some tekken characters, weird storyline about a box...

Mr. X

Strike 1: 3S had 4 Street Fighter characters. Everyone else was new to the SF franchise. To the public view, this was not a Street Fighter game. Imagine if they stuck with the plan and didn't include Ryu and Ken in SF3. Why play this for your Street Fighter fix over Alpha 3 or Super Turbo which has everyone you know?

Strike 2: Arcades were dying and 3S home console port was on the now dying Dreamcast

Strike 3: 3D fighters were at their peak, 2D fighters had oversaturated the market and 2D art in general was "cheap" looking to the public.

Balance has little to do with which games are being played, that's some new era complaining that developers will pretend to fix in patches. No one has the foresight, tiers get shuffled and the game is refreshed.

SF4 getting played for so long is weird. This is the only SF game where people completely ignore the name. No one says SF2 is played forever, they say ST. No one says SF3 is played for 15 years, they say 3S. No one says Versus series, they say MvC2 or Marvel 2. And these were the same game unchanged since release. Waiting for the they had no choice it was this or nothing as if Namco, Sega, ASW and SNK wasn't making titles. SF Country no care or am I going to see a "if they were any good, they would've been played".

SF4 has not been played for 5 years. The longest a SF4 title was at EVO was 2 years (AE2012), people were getting bored even though that might've been the best looking play of any SF4 at EVO.

US 3S was terrible, I blame no one thinking 3S was boring or unbalanced if all they know is 3S EVO and the stuff non-3S players would say.

Whatever fighting game you enjoy is great, even the ones not out yet but sadly, the scene will be small which has nothing to do with how good the game is, it's just not a Street Fighter.

Play it, stop caring about the competitive scene size or eSports potential because waiting for it to get big before jumping into it is just means you're not having fun with a good game or you end up playing something you don't like.

For someone who doesn't like Ultras, you sure use it a lot, especially on wake up.

wee-bey.gif

US 3S was terrible, I blame no one thinking 3S was boring or unbalanced if all they know is 3S EVO and the stuff non-3S players would say.

This is big. I was long under the impression that 3S was an unplayably imbalanced mess and was a horrible game where parry ruined everything (Thanks Sirlin).

After I began actually exploring new games late last year after realizing I'd been a big fool I noriced the game actually had a really fun-looking footsie game going on that didn't miss fireballs that bad, the blowups were the best stuff ever and even on a laggy emulator the game just felt better to control than SF4 ever did. Listening to other people can be pretty bad like that. Keeps you playing a game you don't like because "everything's even worse" (turns out I like basically everything else more).

Whatever fighting game you enjoy is great, even the ones not out yet but sadly, the scene will be small which has nothing to do with how good the game is, it's just not a Street Fighter.

Play it, stop caring about the competitive scene size or eSports potential because waiting for it to get big before jumping into it is just means you're not having fun with a good game or you end up playing something you don't like.

This, thisthisthisthisthisthis. Also, if everyone waits until a scene is big before jumping on, turns out the scene will never get big because everyone looks at it and sees no one playing. Just play what you like. Our genre is blessed in that you don't need a large metagame of many people to make competition a sane affair like card games in the vein of MTG or Netrunner do. Two dedicated people is a scene. And it's a scene that can only grow. Go to your locals if you have some, take over a setup and play the game.

LordJim

There are always top-tiers, but there aren't always 3S Chun Li's. Next to ST Akuma, she's probably the most broken character in all of mainline Street Fighter. There definitely isn't an SF4 equivalent, not even AE Yun.
It's somewhat funny cause the 2nd Impact top tiers were all better

Mr. X

The two groups co-exist and support each other. It's better than being unwelcoming or feeling unwelcome because you enjoy the same thing differently.

Nyoro SF

I can't wait for the next fighting game released by Capcom. The cycle is etched into stone now.

1) release game with accessible inputs and moves
2) everyone bitches and moans that "scrubs can now pick up the game and beat pros"
3) pros who actually put time into the game still beat new players consistently
4) people keep whining that "back in their day" they had to do "hard work" to learn a game

go back to step 2, rinse and repeat

I hope Capcom learned something with SF4, and likewise design SF5's mechanics to only assume that you've played the original SF2 and nothing since, instead of building on top of the previous game. "The last game, but with more mechanics" shouldn't be the pitch going forward, because that's how it all went to shit last time.

alstein

I hope Capcom learned something with SF4, and likewise design SF5's mechanics to only assume that you've played the original SF2 and nothing since, instead of building on top of the previous game. "The last game, but with more mechanics" shouldn't be the pitch going forward, because that's how it all went to shit last time.

I think they'll probably overflavor the game and it will suffer due to this. Kinda like what they did with the Alphas. They'll do exactly what you say they shouldn't, though I expect focus will be removed.

I would probably go SF4+ more blockstun+ ultras+ EXs+ more target combos+ fewer 1f links+ alpha counters + Mike Z approved control scheme - focus - delayed wakeup.

Alpha Counters that require 1 bar for zero damage or 2 bars for 5% damage+no kill would be sufficient to solve vortex problems, especially if you made getting hit right after wakeup give increased meter gain.

Sayad

I just hope they build it from the ground up with online in mind, I don't care if they add a three frames buffer for normal attacks long as the net code work.

chriskun

I think they'll probably overflavor the game and it will suffer due to this. Kinda like what they did with the Alphas. They'll do exactly what you say they shouldn't, though I expect focus will be removed.

I would probably go SF4+ more blockstun+ ultras+ EXs+ more target combos+ fewer 1f links+ alpha counters + Mike Z approved control scheme - focus - delayed wakeup.

Alpha Counters that require 1 bar for zero damage or 2 bars for 5% damage+no kill would be sufficient to solve vortex problems, especially if you made getting hit right after wakeup give increased meter gain.

I agree with most of this, but two bars for 5% damage?

Top Bottom