• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

mbpm1

I remember doing house rebuilding mission work in Jamaica back in 2006... this was in an old village on the inside of the country far away from the resort areas so it was mostly extremely poor area.

Well anyway as I'm walking along the dirt path back to one of our renovation jobs I hear loads of shouting and extremely loud game noises, so I took a glace at the house I was passing and there are around 15+ kids inside crowded around a tiny CRT with an N64 + Mortal Kombat 4.

Keep in mind there was very little dedicated power available in the area so I was kind of shocked but I thought it was still pretty funny to see these kids get hype and salty over N64 Mortal Kombat heh.

why didn't you let them behold the glory of mahvel

kirblar

Are you really saying that you can't improve reaction speeds???
You can improve them. (See: Daigo's training regimen for SF2) I don't believe you can improve them to the degree where you have top-level skills if you're not genetically inclined, much like you can't just suddenly develop fast-twitch muscle fiber.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If one didn't post frequently and was looking for a reason to post more, your post certainly isn't going to encourage them to.

My post came off as being disappointed, that was the least of my intentions capser, since I haven't been posting as long as everybody else here, I don't know who has been in the OP in the past, my response to Tok's post sums up it up. My bad if I've discouraged people from posting.

What I've gathered from this thread so far is that Yams is mad that no one finds him interesting enough to be featured in the OP that no one reads. Does that about sum it up?

I find it interesting read to find out what are others favorite games and how they started playing fighting games. I found it really odd that people like Shouta, Silky, Horseress, etc. haven't had an interview, however, I started posting around a year back so I didn't see everyone who has been in the OP, which is why I mentioned it was people who rarely post are the ones that get voted on so my bad if my post came out as me whining, that was the least of my intentions tok.

What the FUCK is this about?

I'll have you know DR loves old school Killer Instinct. U rite though. Part of me wanted to go on about mangu and salchichon.

My man SolarPowered, you know whats up.

You can improve them. I don't believe you can improve them to the degree where you have top-level skills if you're not genetically inclined, much like you can't just suddenly develop fast-twitch muscle fiber.

There's no such thing as being genetically inclined when you're talking about acquiring skills.

My post came off as being disappointed, that was the least of my intentions capser, since I haven't been posting as long as everybody else here, I don't know who has been in the OP in the past, my response to Tok's post sums up it up. My bad if I've discouraged people from posting.

I find it interesting read to find out what are others favorite games and how they started playing fighting games. I found it really odd that people like Shouta, Silky, Horseress, etc. haven't had an interview, however, I started posting around a year back so I didn't see everyone who has been in the OP, which is why I mentioned it was people who rarely post are the ones that get voted on so my bad if my post came out as me whining, that was the least of my intentions tok.

My man SolarPowered, you know whats up.

I'm pretty sure those three have done one. It has been a year since it's started

Kumubou

Do you think DOA will do well on PC if it's a competent port? Would the DOA comm double-dip?
The mods, man... the mods. If it's a good port there will be many dips. D:

The netcode on PC will probably be about as bad as the console versions, though. Womp womp.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm pretty sure those three have done one. It has been a year since it's started

I've read it almost every week, I really liked Enzo's one, he has a way with words that makes reading so easy. I don't recall Shouta doing one, I looked back and Horseress did do one but I can easily replace him for Smedwicks. I honestly don't remember when I started posting it but it was certainly after the introduction of interviewing regulars in the OP, however, I retract my statement since there seems to be a misunderstanding on my intentions of discussing this.

kirblar

There's no such thing as being genetically inclined when you're talking about acquiring skills.
It's a physical skill. Reaction times deteriorate measurably as we age, and when you test people on them, you get a wide range of responses. I don't believe that you can simply "train up" someone in the bottom 20% percentile to have the top-level baseline skills necessary to compete at a top level. That doesn't mean that person can't play/have fun.

I've read it almost every week, I really liked Enzo's one, he has a way with words that makes reading so easy. I don't recall Shouta doing one, I looked back and Horseress did do one but I can easily replace him for Smedwicks. I honestly don't remember when I started posting it but it was certainly after the introduction of interviewing regulars in the OP, however, I retract my statement since there seems to be a misunderstanding on my intentions of discussing this.

You know people don't read the OP when they miss the link that lists everybody who has done interviews in past threads.

didn't even realize there was a link like that lol. I just looked back in my subscriptions when I chose my next one haha

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You know people don't read the OP when they miss the link that lists everybody who has done interviews in past threads.

lol, i just noticed it! i skip those few lines and just go for the player spotlight, never really noticed it. time to get some reading done.

Malice215

The mods, man... the mods. If it's a good port there will be many dips. D:

The netcode on PC will probably be about as bad as the console versions, though. Womp womp.

I'm sure the people who get it on PC will be too busy with themselves and modding the game to care about playing online, especially when the game won't have online play until a couple of months after the release.

It's a physical skill. Reaction times deteriorate measurably as we age, and when you test people on them, you get a wide range of responses. I don't believe that you can simply "train up" someone in the bottom 20% percentile to have the top-level baseline skills necessary to compete at a top level. That doesn't mean that person can't play/have fun.

but how you gonna grow the community if you don't sell that fake-ass dream about how EVERYONE CAN DO IT IF THEY TRY AND BELIEVE *shitty shonen power-up music*

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
fall back nerds I'm gonna beat Daigo next year at EVO

4jQ1M.png

Kimosabae

Banned
You can improve them. (See: Daigo's training regimen for SF2) I don't believe you can improve them to the degree where you have top-level skills if you're not genetically inclined, much like you can't just suddenly develop fast-twitch muscle fiber.

Uhh, except everyone HAS fast-twitch muscle fibers, contrary to popular belief, it's just most people don't engage in activities that activate and strengthen them (plyometrics).

You can "believe" whatever. Being good at FGs is more than reaction times, and reaction times are more than biological determinism. Half of good reaction is anticipation and that half can be developed with experience. Yeah, some will be more genetically gifted in the area than others, but people overestimate the degree at which it manifests itself appreciably. People that "believe" the way you do, I "believe" are only limiting themselves. Just like someone saying they'll never be in phenomenal shape because they're not black or they're not willing to take steroids.

but how you gonna grow the community if you don't sell that fake-ass dream about how EVERYONE CAN DO IT IF THEY TRY AND BELIEVE *shitty shonen power-up music*
Doesn't matter if you have natural talent for it or not you still have to put a lot of time and effort into the game. Which is the more likely thing that will keep them from getting anywhere than whatever genetic predisposition is required to "git gud" at a video game.

mbpm1

All part of my plan

Sandbag so nobody knows who I am and then boom Daigo gonna get shinakuma'd

It's sandbagging if you say it is even when you're legitimately losing that bad right

Also, people really gonna bring genetics into videogames

Unless you've got Parkinsons I think anyone can git gud if they can put in the time and travel

If anything your scene limits you more than genetic "twitch muscle" stuff I think

Snake-Eyez and Sanford said it

tbf if everybody felt that way you wouldn't get new top talent

Top talents still have to put in a lot of time to get great.

Doesn't matter if you have natural talent for it or not you still have to put a lot of time and effort into the game. Which is the more likely thing that will keep them from getting anywhere than whatever genetic predisposition is required to "git gud" at a video game.

People will still lie about that shit and act like talent is a total non-factor though. Can't tell people that they might be putting in all that work for nothing because of something they have no control over in the end.

Lots of skills are physical, and they can all be improved upon by practice and training.

Reaction times don't deteriorate to the point that for people playing fighting games, someone in their 30s or 40s can't compete with someone in their 20s.

What you believe about how people learn doesn't matter. If it's a skill, it can be improved upon with the proper training and practice.

bitter much

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
All part of my plan

Sandbag so nobody knows who I am and then boom Daigo gonna get shinakuma'd

It's sandbagging if you say it is even when you're legitimately losing that bad right

Also, people really gonna bring genetics into videogames

Unless you've got Parkinsons I think anyone can git gud if they can put in the time and travel

If anything your scene limits you more than genetic "twitch muscle" stuff I think

Snake-Eyez and Sanford said it

Parkinsons isn't the only thing that could limit you. I would imagine hand tremors and carpal tunnel syndrome will limit your stamina by quite a bit compared to other players.

kirblar

tbf if everybody felt that way you wouldn't get new top talent

Top talents still have to put in a lot of time to get great.
One of the reasons TCGs/Poker attract so many to competitive events is that the inherent variance (there's a set # of games you auto-lose and auto-win in MTG, for instance, due to mulligans/bad draws on either side) involved, it lets bad players Dunning-Kruger themselves into thinking they're better than they are. MOBAs operate in a similar way (in soloqueue) where you can "blame" it on bad teammates even if you're an idiot shithead who's terrible.

In FGs, those things that cushion players' egos just straight up aren't there, and so the casual/lower-skill tier competitive scene is going to be much smaller in part because of it.

mbpm1

Parkinsons isn't the only thing that could limit you. I would imagine hand tremors and carpal tunnel syndrome will limit your stamina by quite a bit compared to other players.

Pretty much what I meant? lol. Forgot to add like before Parkinsons

Also, a good reminder for folks to stretch a bit before doing stuff. Carpal is no bueno

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Pretty much what I meant? lol. Forgot to add like before Parkinsons

Also, a good reminder for folks to stretch a bit before doing stuff. Carpal is no bueno

I don't know if this applies for fight sticks but I remember back in my old arcade days that I would see people who would usually get the high score on a cabinest wearing these black fingerless gloves that looked pretty damn thick, probably good for their hands. Maybe that might help prolong a players career with additionally stretching because I know I wanna keep on playing fighting games and stop when it gets boring but not because of my hands failing on me.

In FGs, those things that cushion players' egos just straight up aren't there, and so the casual/lower-skill tier competitive scene is going to be much smaller in part because of it.
What? You mean the same games that have people whining about come back mechanics and random unpredictable characters that just keep you constantly guessing? What about all the whining about 2 out 3 in the capcom cup and Daigo getting randomed out of the tournament with red focus?

kirblar

What? You mean the same games that have people whining about come back mechanics and random unpredictable characters that just keep you constantly guessing? What about all the whining about 2 out 3 in the capcom cup and Daigo getting randomed out of the tournament with red focus?
Players will whine about anything. Especially change. They do not like change. Even if they actually end up liking it.

Players will whine about anything. Especially change. They do not like change. Even if they actually end up liking it.

No yeah sure human nature. I am just saying fighting game tournaments get pretty damn random with best of 1 in Japan and even with best 2 of 3 double elim. Then there is the whole netplay aspect that actively provides bad feedback. The difference is that fighting games have a ton of negative feedback built into them that might keep player's ego in check.

kirblar

No yeah sure human nature. I am just saying fighting game tournaments get pretty damn random with best of 1 in Japan and even with best 2 of 3 double elim. Then there is the whole netplay aspect that actively provides bad feedback. The difference is that fighting games have a ton of negative feedback built into them that might keep player's ego in check.
That "random" factor is what keeps you interested, though. If we knew the results before the matches started every time, there'd be no reason to watch or play.

It's also why Single-elim and other high-stakes formats can be fun in moderation.

remz

The idea of a nude mod for doa5 seems kind of bland compared to some of the costumes already in the game... Some of those outfits mang...

That "random" factor is what keeps you interested, though. If we knew the results before the matches started every time, there'd be no reason to watch or play.

It's also why Single-elim and other high-stakes formats can be fun in moderation.

Although it's not related to player frustration:

People, like myself, complaining about 2/3 were only complaining because of the amount of money involved. A lot of us still enjoy 2/3 and single elimination in moderation. I think it's good to have different tournament formats for different events.

Nemo on kaotv said that he enjoyes 2/3 the most because of that random factor compared to Topanga where a match gets to a point in the set where the result is predictable.

kirblar

Although it's not related to player frustration:

People, like myself, complaining about 2/3 were only complaining because of the amount of money involved. A lot of us still enjoy 2/3 and single elimination in moderation. I think it's good to have different tournament formats for different events.

Nemo on kaotv said that he enjoyes 2/3 the most because of that random factor compared to Topanga where a match gets to a point in the set where the result is predictable.
Yeah, I agree- 3/5 would have been preferable considering the stakes. And the breaks.

sikvod00

Banned
Would it be possible to make next year's CC a round robin if it were a 2-day event? I realize it means a bigger commitment for everyone else attending who is not a participant, lol.

kirblar

Would it be possible to make next year's CC a round robin if it were a 2-day event? I realize it means a bigger commitment for everyone else attending who is not a participant, lol.
16 people is way too many for that to work out. That's the size of Topanga League.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

What's a round robin again? I've seen it time and time again but never really understood what it is.

Top Bottom