• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

Dlent

Somehow this escaped me. I honestly can't blame him. VSav Anak is booty in VSav unless you are Mar (or whatever godlike predecessors there were before him in the US). Japan is an entirely different story. There is always some monster in that country for every character.

IIRC, he outright said during the GGPO tourney at Halloween that Anak was the most interesting character and that he just enjoyed winning with him :p. I could be misremembering slightly though; a lot of people like Hunter just for Pyron/Huitzil/Donovan too.

For some reason this reminds me of the Lucky Chloe thread blowup.

LOL the GG tutorial actually teaches you how to option select throws :p

Yeah, didn't think they would go that far since tutorials generally leave that sort of terminology to the community to explain.

I also like how they have multiple character specific exercises to go through if you want to learn how to play against a particular character.

Still waiting on that netplay patch. :/

FSLink

Banned
I can't stop looking at it

Why is it so cute

I really want to grab the plushie from the Pokemon Center MegaTokyo store myself (the one on the left below):

oxjYnyw.png

Still haven't found a character that clicks with me in Guilty Gear quite yet. Faust, May, and Ky are the ones I've been messing around with. I also like Elphelt and Bedman's playstyles.

I really want to grab the plushie from the Pokemon Center MegaTokyo store myself (the one on the left below):

oxjYnyw.png

Still haven't found a character that clicks with me in Guilty Gear quite yet. Faust, May, and Ky are the ones I've been messing around with. I also like Elphelt and Bedman's playstyles.
I like how much Elphelt's boobs bounce, and her reload mechanic is pretty fricken cool. Most of the characters have cool playstyles. Bedman's echo mechanic is really interesting. I don't plan on leaving Zato, though. He is like Dormammu with Firebrand unblockables. :D

I actually won a match with him yesterday. Today I never left training mode. I spent hours there learning his neutral and getting negative edging down.

FSLink

Banned
I like how much Elphelt's boobs bounce, and her reload mechanic is pretty fricken cool. Most of the characters have cool playstyles. Bedman's echo mechanic is really interesting. I don't plan on leaving Zato, though. He is like Dormammu with Firebrand unblockables. :D
Was not expecting Elphelt to be so fun considering how super *ANIME* her design is. The reload mechanic is fantastic.
Yeah Zato is really cool, I figured he'd be your type of character.

^you know it.

Was not expecting Elphelt to be so fun considering how super *ANIME* her design is. The reload mechanic is fantastic.
Yeah Zato is really cool, I figured he'd be your type of character.
I just pick whoever looks the most harass. Like Bowser and Dormammu, Zato is pure metal. Blanka...is metal after years of drug addiction.

I love Elphelt's waifu theme. I just wish we got translations during taunts. She says a lot of stuff, and I don't feel like swapping languages around just to know. :p

Sub Potemkin is going to be Main Potemkin at this rate for me.
Er, so you just master Zato for kicks?! :O

Rhapsody

Banned
Er, so you just master Zato for kicks?! :O

I'd say Ky and Zato are my best two right now maybe? I've been mostly using Slayer, Potemkin, I-No, Venom, and Elphelt against local friends and some online friends. They're either new or just never played GG that much compared to other games.

Potemkin's so bad, but I love the guy. I just wish he was as good and fun as he was in AC for me.

Potemkin's YRC shenanigans are pretty fun though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Will there be any BC or WNF this Christmas Eve? I would think a lot of players would be with their families.

Rainy

Banned
Will there be any BC or WNF this Christmas Eve? I would think a lot of players would be with their families.

No WNF because they're moving locations. (And there won't be any for at least 2-3 more weeks after this I believe)

BC not sure.

Horseress

My stick is giving up ;_;

And since it's so fucking hard to get a stick around here, thinking about switching back to pad. Does anyone here have a Hori's Fighing Commander 4? Is it good?

Prototype

So Eventhubs finally gets around to posting some GG Xrd stuff and basically comes out and says, this game isn't popular enough for us to cover but here, we'll throw you freaks a bone.

Which is funny to me because part of a game building up hype, up to, and beyond release, is the very coverage they are denying the game. How can the game build buzz if they don't even mention the fact that it was released?

Additionally, for a site that regularly posts stories about fighting games skilled players, and their dedication and talent, it's pretty much a slap in the face to not have any coverage of the Xrd players that are coming out for the tournament, like Ogawa, ect al. They aren't worthy of being talked about, the talentless freaks.

Street Fighter is, and always will be my favorite series, but how many hour long videos do we need of people dissecting the tiny bit of footage we have of SF5? Apparently not enough if eventhubs is anything to go by. "A new GG came out? Is fun and looks amazing? Fuck it, lets report on something else"... This site claims to represent the F. G. C.

For some reason this really set me off. They won't post about it unless there is interest, but they need interest to post about it. :/

Fuck Eventhubs.

Edit.
Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Mike_Z said on December 22, 2014 at 10:58 p.m. 

Reply @KarbyP #31 

This is all off topic so if you are reading these for comments on the Xrd news, skip this one. :^)

---

KarbyP - I don't really think you saying "taking a bit of time to do something nice" is the correct way to look at it? In fact, that supports all the people saying EH doesn't care about other games, because you think of it as "doing something nice" instead of "doing part of your job". (I dunno if you're paid or what so "job" might be a loose term but the spirit applies.) Reporting on a variety of games should not be "doing something nice" for a place that is attempting to be a general fighting game news site, it should be normal.

EH staffers seem to only care about certain games, so the rest get very little coverage. It isn't even close to the case that other games don't have the same amount of news as those games. Deciding not to report on the new Jojo's makes sense because it turned out not to be a versus fighting game at all, but a long speculative dissection of minutes of gameplay on a pre-alpha build of SF5, a gallery of the new animal costumes, or some "roundtables" by random EH staffers with no qualifications outprioritize giant VF tournaments, VSav tournaments, etc? Bleh.

I understand it's hard to report on things you don't personally care about, but that doesn't make it correct. I even said this despite my personal opinion of Xrd, because it seems to be a problem endemic to EH.

Each time you report on smaller things, it gives those things a chance to get bigger by introducing a new audience to them. And maybe even YOU, the EH staffers, might broaden your horizons and find some new games YOU might like!

Has EventHubs EVER mentioned a RebelUp stream, or an Arc Divide? RebelUp was going for over a year every other Saturday from Super, on a regular schedule, with a giant collection of games played: GGAC+R and now Xrd, BB, P4A, SG, VSav, UNiB. No SF4, no Mahvel, so nope. (Should I mention Salty, also on a regular schedule for 2 years now? Probably not so let's skip it.)

EH is an American modern Capcom (SF4, MvC3) FGC news website that throws a bone to other communities and scenes on occasion.

You get a wider variety of coverage on SRK, but that website is functionally broken.

I really should just do news work for my JetUpper site and cover everything fairly.

CPS2

I think the way to get EH to cover Xrd is to basically tell them that you don't want them to cover it, and if you make Xrd videos, let them know that you don't want your videos on their site under any circumstances. Before you know it, the site will be full of Xrd videos and they'll be getting your name wrong at best and taking credit for your videos while banning you for posting corrections in the comments at worst. Let them keep covering SF5 imo.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So Eventhubs finally gets around to posting some GG Xrd stuff and basically comes out and says, this game isn't popular enough for us to cover but here, we'll throw you freaks a bone.

Which is funny to me because part of a game building up hype, up to, and beyond release, is the very coverage they are denying the game. How can the game build buzz if they don't even mention the fact that it was released?

Additionally, for a site that regularly posts stories about fighting games skilled players, and their dedication and talent, it's pretty much a slap in the face to not have any coverage of the Xrd players that are coming out for the tournament, like Ogawa, ect al. They aren't worthy of being talked about, the talentless freaks.

Street Fighter is, and always will be my favorite series, but how many hour long videos do we need of people dissecting the tiny bit of footage we have of SF5? Apparently not enough if eventhubs is anything to go by. "A new GG came out? Is fun and looks amazing? Fuck it, lets report on something else"... This site claims to represent the F. G. C.

For some reason this really set me off. They won't post about it unless there is interest, but they need interest to post about it. :/

Fuck Eventhubs.

Edit.
Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It became very apparent to me that something was off with GGXrd when I saw the first public playable state of the game outside of Japan at E3. Two demo units and few were playing, which really upset me as GG and GGX was easily a couple of my favorite games in the early 2000's.

Speaking with the reps, I was able to get an interview with Daisuke and get a variety of questions answered, however I was still fairly worried about the success of the game and not its quality. Sony had released almost zero information about the title's existence outside of those playable demos. And now after launch, I felt like it was 1998 all over again, with random games arriving on a system with no marketing outside of a magazine review. Made a few videos, really wanted people to know why the series is good, and haven't had a chance to do more as I'm waiting for the online to function properly.

The success of Xrd will solely lie in word of mouth sales, and the positive reviews from major websites(strictly talking about industry 'success', not how many people fill a bracket).

Anne

We've had run ins with EHubs and Persona content. I would just write them off at this point, bad site is bad. SRK does a little bit better, but sometimes I see meh to bad SF4 videos get up there while good content for smaller games gets passed up. Not saying they don't try at SRK, but they could be a bit better. Over on Dustloop we wanted to get our front page going but we're poverty and just focus on the forum. I was wanting to get stuff going, but I'm kinda done with the FGC at large for the moment, so my eyes haven't been on it.

Professor Beef reminds me why I don't even read these threads anymore. See you guys next week I guess.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
No, seriously, who in the FGC is even talking about Turd anyways? Like, actually important to the scene, and not famewhores like Jiyuna.

I personally love the game. Shows how the GG formula works extremely well for a fast paced 1v1. Streamed it as highlight game on six separate streams, each with an average of 4,000 viewers, and 4 of them was attempting to manage the horrendous online until I gave up. Refuse to make videos for Xrd until the netcode is better than an average 7-9 frame delay, while a ton of other fighting games now run amazing online. Waiting on the 2nd netcode update to make a proper review vid.

Bye, Anne.
So are you the only person important to the scene?

Actually, am I about to be hit with some sort of shitposting option select? I just realized I've never read any of Beef's posts before so I don't know if he's serious

Who said I was important to the scene? You should learn to read.

And I'm half-joking, half-serious. Who important is actually talking about Xrd? Because aside from this thread, I've only heard about the netcode problems.

EDIT: And this is including the hype train that most of you were on when it was announced. Now it's just the usual 2-3 people talking about it. What even happened?

mbpm1

Xrd seemed to just slip into the mist based on what coverage it's gotten lately.
Even FGW titles almost didn't mention it.

EDIT: And this is including the hype train that most of you were on when it was announced. Now it's just the usual 2-3 people talking about it. What even happened?
This might shock some but the better conversations about games happen in their OTs than in here. This shit is straight up community you all, should be renamed to Twitch Streaming/Viewing Weekly.

Now for some actual content to this post. So I am going through the GOTY thread looking for some game ideas since I am bored and I ran into this gem http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143663029&postcount=390

Sure hope he got those edits in.

Bye, Anne.

Who said I was important to the scene? You should learn to read.

And I'm half-joking, half-serious. Who important is actually talking about Xrd? Because aside from this thread, I've only heard about the netcode problems.

All the CPM fiends, all the anime players, a couple of marvel players, Justin 'n friends, all the "GG veterans", etc are all playing it and talking about it. Whether they'll stick with it is unknown but the game has plenty of interest. USF4 update, smash, and Xrd are the big 3 things right now as far as I can tell. Plus as someone else mentioned the Xrd OT is active as well.

I thought that kind of drive by shitposting wasn't allowed at GAF, so I was wondering if it's some sort of in-joke

MrDaravon

Who important is actually talking about Xrd? Because aside from this thread, I've only heard about the netcode problems.

I'm actually curious about this as well. The game came out at a weird time for me, I've never given any anime game (sans Marvel) a serious shot, and I wanted to with this. But I don't have a PS3/4 stick, and even though it probably runs fine on PS3 I'd want to play it on PS4 which I won't have for a couple of months. And since I'm just seeing absolutely no one talk about it except for scattered random posts in here I'd assume that in 2-3 months it would be absolutely dead so I probably wouldn't even bother at that point. Would honestly love to be proven wrong.

There was a thread on GAF with people testing reaction times:
What's your reaction time? (quick test)

Reaction time is about 200ms and at 60fps it's about 12 frames.

And there's also the Millia mixup tester if you're interested in testing based on a game.

*SNIP*

Being in a situation that reduces the options helps you focus on specific things with higher amount of attention and thus also lower reaction time.

Raw twitch reaction (=no processing, reaction to anything at all happening) is about 11-12 frames or so. If you have to actually process what's going on the process slows down dramatically and the reaction takes about 18-20 frames minimum.

I am 2/3 through Zato's. My rule is that if I get stuck on one and quit, next time I have to redo all of the previous tutorials before trying again.

This or similar is what I'll be aspiring towards as well. The character crisis is so annoying. Faust lacks damage and isn't as aggressive as I'd hope, Millia movement is swell but I like those "this space is MINE" buttons Faust has, Elph kills my ears. The only real out is to suck it up and put the work into Zato, even though I abhor the idea of being a cripple for ages before I grok Zato-Eddie interplay and get the muscle memory. But I guess working on something definite beats wracking my poor head over what to play ad nauseam.

Raw twitch reaction (=no processing, reaction to anything at all happening) is about 11-12 frames or so. If you have to actually process what's going on the process slows down dramatically and the reaction takes about 18-20 frames minimum.
Well that's the entire point of practice and knowing what to look for and habits. It can really help out with your reaction time and decision making process.

mbpm1

I think 13 - 15 frames is on the edge of human reaction. It's the time when overheads become difficult to impossible to reaction block even with practice.

For NY east coast members of FGC. There's this place that just opened up called the Crazy Gamer Dome. It's located on middle country road in Selden. I can't wait for him to start some fighting game tournaments. They have a facebook page aswell, I'd check it out if your in the area. Could be a good spot for some upcoming tournaments.

casperOne

No, seriously, who in the FGC is even talking about Turd anyways? Like, actually important to the scene, and not famewhores like Jiyuna.

You've already set up anyone who answers for dismissal; "important" is so subjective that you can easily dismiss any response out-of-hand.

kirblar

The announcement-Arcade-JP Release-America Release cycle from ASW is a huge problem. There's more competition for them now from other titles, and by the time we get a game, there's a new version coming out in Japan that we have to watch for months on end.

The netcode issues have put me off even trying the game casually- I'm essentially in "I'll pick it up if it comes to PC" mode right now.

Kimosabae

Banned
This might shock some but the better conversations about games happen in their OTs than in here. This shit is straight up community you all, should be renamed to Twitch Streaming/Viewing Weekly.

Weird post coming from you, considering half your posts about the game are either you complaining about its hardcore nature or the netcode problems and threatening not to stick with it.

But yeah, while I'm frustrated and annoyed by Xrd's lack of uptake, it's not unexpected, even though I'm still somewhat surprised by it. Mostly because I set my expectations to a bare minimum and assumed there was no way this game wouldn't be more popular than +R, at the very least. But it looks like if it's more popular than +R; it will be, barely.

Just like GGXX, when that released, I find it an absolute mindfuck that a fighting game can exist that looks this amazing, and plays this amazing, and lack popularity. But information is so much more accessible today, than it was back in 2001, so I refuse to believe it's just that the word never got out there.

Xrd is the fucking truth. It's already the FG of the gen for me. As much as I'd prefer to focus on SFIV, only because that makes more goddamned sense; Xrd is a fighting gamer's fighting game. It's fucking Guilty Gear. REAL frame traps, REAL pressure, REAL oki, REAL knowledge to digest beyond set-play encounters... the game just feels thoroughly rewarding and satisfying. Something few fighting games this gen managed to nail (absolutely none of them Capcom games).

In the passed day or so, I may have become obsessed with it. Didn't think that would ever happen with a fighting game again.

I still want to play SFIV, also, but right now, my goal in Xrd is to learn just as much as I can about every character. Gonna be in a vortex for awhile.

alstein

We've had run ins with EHubs and Persona content. I would just write them off at this point, bad site is bad. SRK does a little bit better, but sometimes I see meh to bad SF4 videos get up there while good content for smaller games gets passed up. Not saying they don't try at SRK, but they could be a bit better. Over on Dustloop we wanted to get our front page going but we're poverty and just focus on the forum. I was wanting to get stuff going, but I'm kinda done with the FGC at large for the moment, so my eyes haven't been on it.

Professor Beef reminds me why I don't even read these threads anymore. See you guys next week I guess.

SRK is supposed to be a Capcom site, I don't really blame it for being SF-centric.

They've been a better job recently giving non-Capcom games back in the old days they actively and intentionally disrespected them.

As for Xrd, the reason it isn't popular is because I don't think FGs that appear on the surface to be overly complex will ever be popular. Takes too much work to get to the fun stuff, and you can get the fun stuff without the complexity if the design is done well enough. Also, I think Arc's business model hurts them, they've gouged the American consumer a bit too much with Blazblue. At least Capcom had the sense to make their post-Super annual updates affordable.

I have my own reasons for disliking GG completely, but I try not to say too much unless someone tries to shove GG down my throat, which has happened in the past.

FSLink

Banned
The announcement-Arcade-JP Release-America Release cycle from ASW is a huge problem. There's more competition for them now from other titles, and by the time we get a game, there's a new version coming out in Japan that we have to watch for months on end.

The netcode issues have put me off even trying the game casually- I'm essentially in "I'll pick it up if it comes to PC" mode right now.

Kind of annoyed in how ASW treats PC ports too. The gap between BlazBlue CT and CS console version to PC versions is pretty sad. And there's no Chrono Phantasma in sight.

Top Bottom