• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

Isn't the scientific limit of human reaction speeds somewhere in the several hundreds of milliseconds? I think when people talk about fast reactions it's more due to the mind's familiarity with the circumstances of the situation and experience to arrive immediately at the correct conclusion, because just judging by the numbers it would be impossible to break even the most lenient of throw windows just based on pure reactions.

Busaiku

Round robins would kill viewership..
After the halfway point, it gets really anticlimactic, it's usually clear who's gonna win.

An elimination tournament keeps peoples' attention, since anyone can still take it.

fader

After the halfway point, it gets really anticlimactic, it's usually clear who's gonna win.

An elimination tournament keeps peoples' attention, since anyone can still take it.

yea. unless you do them where you split the rounds per day then round robins are a viewer killer. And the winner is usually determined out of the blue.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The idea sounds really awesome for the viewers but exhausting for the players since they would have to go ahead and play (number of people) to advance forward. I'm assuming if one person loses twice, they are out of the round robin or is it the person with the most losses?

The idea sounds really awesome for the viewers but exhausting for the players since they would have to go ahead and play (number of people) to advance forward. I'm assuming if one person loses twice, they are out of the round robin or is it the person with the most losses?

You keep playing even if there's no way for you to win/advance. Overall winner determined by total number of points, which is composed of various measures of wins/draws/losses

kirblar

There are a ton of issues with later matches not mattering or collusion incentives being present as well. (Where one player's out but can keep the other out.) Not a good idea for Capcom Cup.

Beesuit

Round robin is based on points. For example wins = 2 points, draws = 1 points, losses = 0 points. Whoever has the highest points after everyone plays everybody is the winner. The shit thing about this is that you run into throwaway matches, where one dude is just mathematically out of the running. As a result you have an irrelevant competitor whose results can still skew the outcome of the tournament. Then you deal with claims of collusion and all that nonsense.

Of course you can have hybrid systems too, where you can round robin to determine the top 8 and play double elim from there as an example. (Think World Cup, groups stages is round robin, then next stages are single elim brackets)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You keep playing even if there's no way for you to win/advance. Overall winner determined by total number of points, which is composed of various measures of wins/draws/losses

Wow, I think that would take too long. I hope Capcom sticks with 3 out of 5 next year instead of 2 out of 3 since SFIV is the only game being played unless another Capcom game is brought into the mix then they would have to work their schedule from scratch.

There are a ton of issues with later matches not mattering or collusion incentives being present as well. (Where one player's out but can keep the other out.) Not a good idea for Capcom Cup.

This sounds like it would do more harm than good, even with the notion that no collusion is involved.

Round robin is based on points. For example wins = 2 points, draws = 1 points, losses = 0 points. Whoever has the highest points after everyone plays everybody is the winner.

Of course you can have hybrid systems too, where you can round robin to determine the top 8 and play double elim from there as an example.

I was going to mention a hybrid of the two but that still would not fix the problem with round robins, only lessen the blow, if I'm understanding correctly.

Kimosabae

Banned
Isn't the scientific limit of human reaction speeds somewhere in the several hundreds of milliseconds? I think when people talk about fast reactions it's more due to the mind's familiarity with the circumstances of the situation and experience to arrive immediately at the correct conclusion, because just judging by the numbers it would be impossible to break even the most lenient of throw windows just based on pure reactions.

Pretty much. It's just another way for people to trick themselves into thinking they can't do something, and absolve themselves from a habitat of failure.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think there are maybe two Round Robins I have ever enjoyed watching. It's an extremely exhausting format, especially with large teams.

There's nothing wrong with round robin featuring 16 players for a 2 day event. You can make 4 groups of 4. The group stages could be round robin. Players won't be exhausted for playing 3 matches the first day. That kind of solves collusion as the fate of players aren't done by their 3rd match. The next day could be a top 8 double elimination. Maybe even let the 3rd place in a group advance to a top 12, but starting in losers as opposed to the top 2 in a group being in winners.

Viewership usually dies when you have long breaks. It happens every year at Evo and it happened at Capcom Cup whenever the music breaks started.

The only people that would be exhausted are commentators and there should be 3 commentators rotating so they can get breaks.

Or just three commentators in the booth, that would be cool.

Doesn't work as there is more chance of them talking over each other. Plus, it will just mean they get no rest and exhaustion becomes an issue again. Ultradavid and Chen talked about them needing breaks at this year's capcom cup.

MrDaravon

Finally sent that friends request Karsticles. Played for another ~3 hours tonight with a friend in Teams, got like 13 kills the whole time. Feel like I'm actually getting worse. Thinking that online Teams is maybe not the best way to learn the game. Trying to stick with Mario mostly right now, I have some success with Bowser but he's awfully slow and his recovery isn't great, and I like Peach but feel like I have zero idea what to do with her.

Grakl

Two is always perfect. I think there should be two duos, so they can switch off. For every commentator there is another one that complements them perfectly.

mbpm1

Two is always perfect. I think there should be two duos, so they can switch off. For every commentator there is another one that complements them perfectly.

That's an interesting idea.

Combofiend + Mike Ross and UltraChen?

ShinMaruku

Do you think DOA will do well on PC if it's a competent port? Would the DOA comm double-dip?
I can tell you it won't be a good port since it's lacking online play, they hamstring themselves and in that market if it's weeks late it's dead. But people will most certainyl double dip.

I think the delusion would be thinking that anyone can just come in and complete or have success early without putting the time and work in. Anybody can get tourney ready if that's their goal and they put the work in. Most are just lacking something that keeps them from doing so, make unrealistic goals for themselves, quit when they hit a wall, or don't even try.
I would think the lacking something that keeps them from cracking is the key to that delusion. If one would want an environment like that some HUGE changes would be needed. And I doubt anybody would want to undertake such a task.

mbpm1

So, what musical acts do you think will be premiering at next year's CapCup?

I predict 500K goes towards hiring Imagine Dragons

kirblar

Ultrachen need to be split and paired with Ross/Combo/Seth- the latter are much better on the mic hype-wise. Also lets you alternate easily without a quality/knowledge dip.

DunpealD

There was a thread on GAF with people testing reaction times:
What's your reaction time? (quick test)

Reaction time is about 200ms and at 60fps it's about 12 frames.

And there's also the Millia mixup tester if you're interested in testing based on a game.

I think it does have to do with the familiarity of the situation and the narrowing down of options as well as reading patterns. Best examples for narrowing down options are probably Xiao Hai's way of punishing a projectile with an Ultra and Dreamhack Gamer Bee vs. Fuudo.

Xiao Hai talked with Air that meter gain/loss is the fastest indicator in the game. So in his case he keeps at a distance where nothing can hit him except a projectile. This narrows his prediction down to only 1 possibility and let's him focus on the meter for quick reaction.

In Gamer Bee vs. Fuudo case you could always see Gamer Bee crouching at about half screen or more when he had 1 meter. The crouching could mean he's either crouch blocking or buffering the DP shortcut. In that case he narrowed Fuudo's effective range to a jump attack to which he can fully focus on with the crouch DP buffering. Hence he only needed to react to the jump in, otherwise Fuudo wouldn't be able to touch him within one movement.

Being in a situation that reduces the options helps you focus on specific things with higher amount of attention and thus also lower reaction time.

In terms of prediction it would interest me to hear in detail from Fuudo. How he actually nailed down Bonchan in the corner and how his button presses came to be. Same with Daigo's EX hadouken FADC into U2 reactions.

Mr. X

Capcom Cup 2015 is going to have a SFV exhibition. I can guarantee that since it is "rumored" to be out at FY end 14. I dont think itll be 3/5 2 day or all day event. They will want it to be at a decent time for the world to see imo.

Edit meant fy end 15

Capcom Cup 2015 is going to have a SFV exhibition. I can guarantee that since it is "rumored" to be out at FY end 14. I dont think itll be 3/5 2 day or all day event. They will want it to be at a decent time for the world to see imo.
Holy crap end of FY 14? That is nuts. Has it even been in the oven for a year?

Grakl

Oh, for Capcom Cup did Ryan Hart really react to all those hadokens with his U1? That was fuckin amazing each time.

vampire hunter aka darkstalkers 2 stream from mikado

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mikado-00

not sure anyone gives a shit but i love this game.
Mightymar really loved playing Vampire Hunter. He'd always request matches. Luckily he found people here and there on GGPO. I felt kinda bad because I could never get into it. VSav is just so silky smooth and dynamic that it feels like a step backwards to my anime playstyle/sensibilities.

Still a good game, though.

petghost

Banned
Mightymar really loved playing Vampire Hunter. He'd always request matches. Luckily he found people here and there on GGPO. I felt kinda bad because I could never get into it. VSav is just so silky smooth and dynamic that it feels like a step backwards to my anime playstyle/sensibilities.

Still a good game, though.

its def a very different kinda game...i love both though for different reasons. mightymar prolly likes it cuz anakiris isnt super whack in hunter.

its def a very different kinda game...i love both though for different reasons. mightymar prolly likes it cuz anakiris isnt super whack in hunter.
Somehow this escaped me. I honestly can't blame him. VSav Anak is booty in VSav unless you are Mar (or whatever godlike predecessors there were before him in the US). Japan is an entirely different story. There is always some monster in that country for every character.

Prototype

This is the exact reason I don't like round Robin for livestream.

Top Bottom