• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

Platy

Anyone that knows about both World Cup and EVO knows when will the world cup finals happen in the evo schedule timezone ?

Shadow780

On the one hand, I'm sad that KOF didn't get any pool streams and will end on the same day. On the other hand, plenty of time to get drunk and play KOF in hotel rooms!

Coopa isn't going apparently. He has school, I believe?

That's unfortunate, this always seems to happen to him. :<

I hope someone steps up to the plate then.
I would like to see Q's matches at the very least.
THAT JUST MEANS YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT OUT OF YOUR POOLS Q

This kinda blows UltraChen's come out & support your game at EVO & you will get respect theory.

Seriously though, might be the worst finals day in EVO History.

1.) If there are no Americans in Top 8 for Ultra (Which is very likely) the hype for finals will be low.

2.) Ultimate has a large chance of being another case of the usual suspects & if it is it wont be that hype.

3.) Melee has the same problem as Marvel. Plus the game drags cause it takes FOREVER.

4.) Killer Instinct...need I say more.

5.) BlazBlue is in the same boat as Ultra but to a lesser extent. It could be a Japan dominated Top 8 but the American anime community has a way better chance against Japan than US Street Fighter.

FunkQueue

Neo Member
This kinda blows UltraChen's come out & support your game at EVO & you will get respect theory.

1.) If there are no Americans in Top 8 for Ultra (Which is very likely) the hype for finals will be low.

2.) Ultimate has a large chance of being another case of the usual suspects & if it is it wont be that hype.

3.) Melee has the same problem as Marvel. Plus the game drags cause it takes FOREVER.

5.) BlazBlue is in the same boat as Ultra but to a lesser extent. It could be a Japan dominated Top 8 but the American anime community has a way better chance against Japan than US Street Fighter.

Unbanned and straight back into being a mizer. Good shit.

Dahbomb

Someone should just photoshop ChrisG, Justin, Flocker, PRRog and FChamp on these guys.

usual-suspects-line-up.jpg

I do agree that there's a chance that the finals at EVO this year could be a blow up but there's also a chance that they could be insane (like say someone from USA doing well in Ultra/BBCP, someone outside of top 5 doing work in UMVC3 etc).

You never know until you play it out.

Kalamari

Remember all build-up to the Ultra secret character announcement, and then the massive wave of disappointment that followed immediately afterwards? Never forget.

Capcom should just stop making announcements altogether, they would be better off.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
ANNOUNCEMENTS AFTER MARVEL?!?!?! GUYS ITS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!! AHHHHHHH I NEED A NEW PAIR OF PANTSSSSS!!!!! WE'RE FINALLY GETTING HYPER STREET FIGHT X TEKKEN 2!!!!

Yeah, I'm not expecting it, but expecting MvC3 to be touched is craziness. If you want hope, hope for MvC4 and yell at Marvel about it.
I don't want MvC4. I don't ever want another Marvel IP-based fighter. I want Capcom to have full control so there's no more BS.

I can understand most of this, but I don't get the relationship between Americans in Ultra and hype. I just want to see good matches. If the Japanese bring the best, then that's fine with me.

ANNOUNCEMENTS AFTER MARVEL?!?!?! GUYS ITS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!! AHHHHHHH I NEED A NEW PAIR OF PANTSSSSS!!!!!
I knew I could count on you!

WE'RE FINALLY GETTING HYPER STREET FIGHT X TEKKEN 2!!!!
Er, what?

Village

Question, lets say ultra sf4 gets some dlc besides costumes, if possible would you like them to rip the color customization mode for sfxt and put in sf4?

Speaking of sfxt, despite how dead the game is

another addition to the " cool as concept art this needs to exist " pile
cody " orange prison jumpsuit" kazuya

If TX SF exists, i hope thats in it

Silky

Banned
ANNOUNCEMENTS AFTER MARVEL?!?!?! GUYS ITS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!! AHHHHHHH I NEED A NEW PAIR OF PANTSSSSS!!!!! WE'RE FINALLY GETTING HYPER STREET FIGHT X TEKKEN 2!!!!

tumblr_inline_n7spex8lDg1rwsg7s.png

--

I think Color Edit should be essential for any fighting game, and it's a shame that we're still in that state where people charge for additional DLC colors. It shouldn't be that hard editing a palette for your character.

Dahbomb

I can understand most of this, but I don't get the relationship between Americans in Ultra and hype. I just want to see good matches. If the Japanese bring the best, then that's fine with me.
People don't like grand finals being played out by two out of country players. Most players have no emotional investment in the players involved (unless they are Daigo fanboys/fangirls I guess).

It's no different from Justin vs ChrisG grand finals in a East coast or Texas tournament. The people there want their home town favorites to at least contest these two but a grand finals without a native player makes them not involved emotionally.

Not everyone is watching a match to see a super high level match especially at EVO which supports the highest view count.

Ultra can be hype without americans in the top 8. That's some top level play there. Of course if there is one, all the better.

Unless its a Daigo/Mago GF.

Wait, there are TWO announcement slots, at half an hour each?

kttcolidemonic
YEESSSSS!

People don't like grand finals being played out by two out of country players. Most players have no emotional investment in the players involved (unless they are Daigo fanboys/fangirls I guess).

It's no different from Justin vs ChrisG grand finals in a East coast or Texas tournament. The people there want their home town favorites to at least contest these two but a grand finals without a native player makes them not involved emotionally.

Not everyone is watching a match to see a super high level match especially at EVO which supports the highest view count.
What American players are even focusing on Ultra that have a chance at top 8, though?

CurlyW

Whatever happened to that ST tournament at EVO? Are those pools being streamed?

No pools since it's an invitational. They may be streamed, but I'm not sure (no clue what they did last year). The finals are scheduled to be on the main EVO stream at ~5pm, after KoF top 8.

EDIT: What jbug said.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wait, there are TWO announcement slots, at half an hour each?

kttcolidemonic

So because the marvel patch is being announced, the antichrist is coming (upside down cross tattoo on his head). Guys, I think a marvel patch wasn't supposed to happen...

Dahbomb

What American players are even focusing on Ultra that have a chance at top 8, though?
PR Balrog for one. He has definitely been grinding out Ultra.

PRRog has made top 8 at two previous EVOs for SF4. This time he is coming in with a top 5 character in his back pocket. Not a player to sleep on for sure.

I still say Ricky and Justin have a solid chance at top 8 for USF4 (as they have made top 8 before so they are no strangers to it). It really comes down to match ups and who plays who.

PRRog has made top 8 at two previous EVOs for SF4. This time he is coming in with a top 5 character in his back pocket. Not a player to sleep on for sure.

I still say Ricky and Justin have a solid chance at top 8 for USF4 (as they have made top 8 before so they are no strangers to it). It really comes down to match ups and who plays who.

Ricky hasn't done well at Evo since 2010

Conceited

mechaniphiliac

I actually think rogs chances are pretty low this year, his E. Ryu simply isn't good enough and his Balrog is a little rusty now, he will almost certainly make top 16 or at the very least top 32, but I think Ricky is more likely to make top 8 in all honesty.

Ibuki with a Yoshimitsu costume, full mask and all would be cool in TxSF. That or a Kunimitsu alt.

Also does anyone know of any SFA3 mods? Has anyone ever tried to fix V ism. I was thinking of trying to get rid of infinites and make guard crushes a bit more forgiving.

Top Bottom