• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm so fucking hype for SFV looks like they are addressing all the complaints people had with SF4.

Can't fucking wait for the beta announcement at E3. Kreygasm

ElTopo

Banned
Got my Hori FC4. Trying to decide if I like thumb or fingers better for the buttons, since it's designed to work either way.

Does the D-pad slide out of place? I heard that was an issue with the FC4. I thought of the solution to use a tiny bit of super glue on outer edge of the D-pad to prevent it from sliding. Honestly, who uses that slide feature?

I'm so fucking hype for SFV looks like they are addressing all the complaints people had with SF4.

It does seem like Capcom did multiple focus groups with casuals and diehard players and actually listened.

"SF4 is too slow." They speed it the fuck up.

"We hate retarded come back mechanics that do equally retarded damage." Comeback mechanics now just give you a new trait.

"It's too turtle-y, they can just block." Adds chip damage on normals and character-specific guard breaks.

"I hate fireball keepaway." Every character has at least one move that helps them counter fireballs.

"I hate charge-input supers and supers with weird inputs." Brings back 3rd Strikes QCFx2 input for all supers (thus far).

"How do I get them off of me but I think SRK into FADC on block is too cheap." Adds Alpha Counters.

You know how hard it is to wait a couple of days for the character reveals?
nt5j5sS.png

There's a lot reasons why JP players play at the arcades. Cost of system + proper monitor + net is one thing but arcades are one of the few places where they can gather and play. Not many places you can use to bring setups and sit down on play on consoles like in the US.

rip japan

we'll have real japan vs usa competition again when street fighter VII is released on mobile

Does the D-pad slide out of place? I heard that was an issue with the FC4. I thought of the solution to use a tiny bit of super glue on outer edge of the D-pad to prevent it from sliding. Honestly, who uses that slide feature?

I've heard that can happen over time. For now the dpad is staying put just fine.

rip japan

we'll have real japan vs usa competition again when street fighter VII is released on mobile

I already got that excuse ready when Daigo loses to an American in SFV

"That doesn't count. That's like Tien bragging he was better than Goku when Goku had weighted clothes on."

ElTopo

Banned
I've heard that can happen over time. For now the dpad is staying put just fine.

It was an issue I had with the FC3. Eventually the D-pad just stopped working. The only reason why I ordered an FC4 is that Hori was promoting the fact that they're using a better rubber membrane on the PCB that doesn't wear out in a year or two.

It still looks pretty slow, but the gameplay videos are definitely faster than they were.

I'm going to assume you have horrible internet that keeps buffering video or you just have some other issue. I don't get how anyone can say that looks slow.

Mr. X

Oh yeah, I ordered a HRAP4 recently.

I'm coming for the title of "FGW's Strongest" in multiple titles which should be easy since no one plays anything but VF and SG in here.

AAK

There's a lot reasons why JP players play at the arcades. Cost of system + proper monitor + net is one thing but arcades are one of the few places where they can gather and play. Not many places you can use to bring setups and sit down on play on consoles like in the US.

Why not set up consoles at the arcade center?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It still looks pretty slow, but the gameplay videos are definitely faster than they were.

Def looks better speed wise.

Reading Combofiends interview and him saying they want the speed to match ST that is a good sign. Wonder what Turbo setting they were aiming for I'm sure we will see more tweaks to speed before release.

AND THANK FUCK they are taking the netcode seriously. MKX netcode on a next gen system is simply put piss poor.

I'm looking forward to match footage from E3 where we will see the tournaments go down.

I'd love to see Birdie return I know he is not super requested but I loved this character since A2. :D Love to see how they can evolve him.

shaowebb

I'm currently paying attention to SFV because of Nash and Bison's gameplay looking pretty fast and stylish. Very KoF reminescent on some of that...especially Charlie's Rugal vibe. The V system holds my interest as it has character specific abilities that show promise so far. Especially Bison and Nash with the parries and teleport mixups.

Not certain if Street Fighter will appeal to me though. It lost me hard at the 4 series. So much there that didn't suit me. However, its making strides toward becoming something faster and more interesting in terms of meter and mechanics so I'll keep watching to see if it becomes something this time around that I could get behind.

Lets see where this leads.

Mr. X

I'm currently paying attention to SFV because of Nash and Bison's gameplay looking pretty fast and stylish. Very KoF reminescent on some of that...especially Charlie's Rugal vibe. The V system holds my interest as it has character specific abilities that show promise so far. Especially Bison and Nash with the parries and teleport mixups.

Not certain if Street Fighter will appeal to me though. It lost me hard at the 4 series. So much there that didn't suit me. However, its making strides toward becoming something faster and more interesting in terms of meter and mechanics so I'll keep watching to see if it becomes something this time around that I could get behind.

Lets see where this leads.

Every # SF is incredibly different (except Alpha 2 to 3 which was pretty drastic). It's easy to not enjoy 1 iteration and enjoy another. Other than combo heavy (for a SF title), I don't see much similarities yet between 4 and V.

i'll assume fei isn't in the game since he has a poster. Its an easy cop out, "fei is busy filming a movie"

I felt they done this before with cameos.

smurfx

get some go again
i'll assume fei isn't in the game since he has a poster. Its an easy cop out, "fei is busy filming a movie"

I felt they done this before with cameos.
if that's the case then maybe it means none of the good guys in FF will be in it. :( haggar better make it in. it's about time the mayor cracked bison's skull with a pipe.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just noticed that blocking has an animation. Ryu totally moved when he blocked chun's super and lightning legs.

alstein

If Ken comes back, I want him to be really different. I want him to work around a command grab (knee bash), roll, and funky kicks, not FB/DP.

ST Ken was the only version of Ken I liked.

LMAO @ the Japanese saying they won't play SFV if its not on arcades.

Let the Japanese complain for once. They'll get over it.

Crocodile

Huh? Where?

See Below. Am I misreading something?

No bets here, but the Squeenix thing is still throwing me off.

Logically I still think it's for a character released in a game from 2013, but I feel like it would have leaked alongside some of the other details. If you want to really tinfoil hat, maybe that ice girl is a minor character from a Squeenix game in 2013 that's being included in SFV because she's also in one of the many games Squeenix is announcing at E3. Maybe that game is the FFVII spin off. Maybe it's not even a girl..

68px-Sephiroth-ffvii-field.png

what id really love to see/hear is an explanation as to why the hell square enix is involved with the game. dont tell me alternate dimensions will be a thing in the game cause then ono trolled us all saying he knew he messed up with SF4 story wise.

we're gonna get multiple character reveals for E3 (all of them new) and for EVO we'll get the oro and alex reveal. any avatar bets?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's this I'm hearing of Square Enix being involved with SFV? How so?
Ono showed the game off at the Tapei Game Show last year and at the bottom of a slide it said Square Enix copyright 2013.

Someone asked Ono about it and he teased that he can't say much yet or something. Someone will post the picture again.

Sayah

It does seem like Capcom did multiple focus groups with casuals and diehard players and actually listened.

"SF4 is too slow." They speed it the fuck up.

"We hate retarded come back mechanics that do equally retarded damage." Comeback mechanics now just give you a new trait.

"It's too turtle-y, they can just block." Adds chip damage on normals and character-specific guard breaks.

"I hate fireball keepaway." Every character has at least one move that helps them counter fireballs.

"I hate charge-input supers and supers with weird inputs." Brings back 3rd Strikes QCFx2 input for all supers (thus far).

"How do I get them off of me but I think SRK into FADC on block is too cheap." Adds Alpha Counters.

The only thing missing is an announcer. I don't need somebody to commentate during the entire match but there should at least be someone saying out the rounds. Only an extremely minor thing, though. Otherwise, this game is looking so boss. I need it.

Crocodile

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification everyone. I guess its old news but that's the first I've heard of that association. I do wonder what it will mean if it is even anything significant.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
For the Capcom X Square Enix mystery:

SFv%20cloud.jpg

Now that I notice that the date its copyrighted is 2013, in which the street fighter figurine collector stated that that would be around the time where they started actual production for SFV after talking about future plans. I think there are a few things under the wraps that we have no idea about.

Edit:

Analysis of the image further reveals three segments of land, to the left is a castle (obviously Disney tie in with Kingdom Hearts edit: scratch that, probably darkstalkers, who knows at this point). The middle is a graveyard of sorts, don't know too well what this could be. Last one to the right is some sort of magical plant, possibly a sprouting beanstalk? There's a bunch of possibilities and honestly do not think that it will just be costumes. It would be a nice addition though if it were costumes, just hope its nothing too ridiculous and its well thought out.

Something among those lines. I need SF4's Bison Japanese voice thats a little more raspy. That would sound amazing to me and would fit the glorious detailing they have of Bison right now in SFV.

lol

Zissou

The only thing missing is an announcer. I don't need somebody to commentate during the entire match but there should at least be someone saying out the rounds. Only an extremely minor thing, though. Otherwise, this game is looking so boss. I need it.

Gotta be on it's way right? Game still has a ways to go. I'm very impressed how much better it looks now than the first reveal- mindblowing stuff.

Mr. X

Are figures really something people don't expect for SFV? Even without SE trademark, I would expect figures happening.

Sayah

Gotta be on it's way right? Game still has a ways to go. I'm very impressed how much better it looks now than the first reveal- mindblowing stuff.

Yeah, I imagine they'll eventually add that in (hopefully).

I thought the game looked great when it was first revealed but this recent update has really blown me away.

Top Bottom