• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Kimosabae

Banned
No thanks. This is one of those things where it's cool for a minute before you figure out every time you do a cr. HK you pre-emptively cringe as you await the announcer saying GOING FOR THE SWEEP!

It's not corny, annoying, unnecessary, or disengaging from the fight, it's all of the above. Sounds like World of World of Warcraft too.

yeah, your vision of this is completely different from mine. I'm thinking less NBA Jam and more NBA Live. Reference our current streams - no one commentates like that.

fader

No thanks. This is one of those things where it's cool for a minute before you figure out every time you do a cr. HK you pre-emptively cringe as you await the announcer saying GOING FOR THE SWEEP!

It's not corny, annoying, unnecessary, or disengaging from the fight, it's all of the above. Sounds like World of World of Warcraft too.

it doesn't have to be preemptive commentary it can be reactive sort of like CVS2 but a little more defined

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
yeah, your vision of this is completely different from mine. I'm thinking less NBA Jam and more NBA Live. Reference our current streams - no one commentates like that.
My issue is you're not watching a commercialized sporting event in the context of the game or replicating reality like a sports game. You're watching fights on streets. If anyone is commentating, best case scenario it should be this person:

0.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
My issue is you're not watching a commercialized sporting event in the context of the game or replicating reality like a sports game. You're watching fights on streets. If anyone is commentating, best case scenario it should be this person:

0.jpg

That's true - so you adjust the presentation accordingly. Despite SF being "Fights on streets" they are organized sporting events in the context the story. You present them as televised events. The current HUD works, all you'd have to add is a network logo, authentic or fabricated.

Grokbu

Playing 98UM right now, and you can do some really cool stuff with dash step! I also didn't know you could choose ultimate to mix and match the advanced and extra modes. Cool!

shaowebb

Yatagarasu's commentary got kinda repetitive too.

As someone who used to play wrestling games I knew that this gimmick would get annoying in Yatagarasu fast. Nothing like JR and The King saying the exact same shit over and over to make you hate a bad game even more. After those experiences I knew it wouldn't fly in any genre. No matter how much you record the banter always gets old.

Case in point too many dialogue parts in Persona 4 and in some Marvel characters when they do combos.
God the memories of Nova/Spencer teams.

"Eat eat eat You like You like You like that Human rocket Eat like that you like eat like human lets bring it Powah of da Nova force!"

Stick to just combat sounds please. No more catch phrase combos. ;_;

DRE Fei

Obviously the announcer hasn't been added yet.

It'd be cool to get some real play by play commentary from a Fighting Game just to do something different. I don't think a Japanese developer could pull that off, though.

But imagine if we had casters in the community talented enough to play by play for a SF game similar to how Marv Albert and co. do play by play for the Live/2K series etc. I think it could not only be hype as hell, but provide much needed insight for newcomers.

VF5 vanilla had play by play announcers in the replays. It was ok but got repetitive after a while. I didn't think it really added much to the matches tbh. Sounds like a good idea, but the extra development time required to make it really dynamic probably isn't worth it in the long run.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's true - so you adjust the presentation accordingly. Despite SF being "Fights on streets" they are organized sporting events in the context the story. You present them as televised events. The current HUD works, all you'd have to add is a network logo, authentic or fabricated.
Only in SF1-3. I have little doubt they won't continue the direction in IV with random fights with plot interspersed/infodumped at the end. Then again who knows with them pushing eSports and stuff (and the very digital presentation of the UI).

As someone who used to play wrestling games I knew that this gimmick would get annoying in Yatagarasu fast. Nothing like JR and The King saying the exact same shit over and over to make you hate a bad game even more. After those experiences I knew it wouldn't fly in any genre. No matter how much you record the banter always gets old.

Case in point too many dialogue parts in Persona 4 and in some Marvel characters when they do combos.
God the memories of Nova/Spencer teams.

"Eat eat eat You like You like You like that Human rocket Eat like that you like eat like human lets bring it Powah of da Nova force!"

Stick to just combat sounds please. No more catch phrase combos. ;_;

Foot-footdive?

Kimosabae

Banned
Yatagarasu I don't have a clue about. The Marvel example... isn't reflective of anything. I'm speaking to something more dynamic and I doubt the Vanilla SF4 play by play was anything like I'm thinking of - I don't even remember that. Anyone got a link?

In game commentary would probably get in the way of real commentary, unless there was an option to turn it off.

Yeah, that would be a given.

It would just be a waste of money, most people would turn it off for sure.

I think that would purely be determined by how well it's done. It can't be an afterthought, that's for sure. Has to be part of the design from inception.

CPS2

Are we really wondering if ken will be in the game or is this some kind of commentary on the lame drip feed of info marketing that every fighter has been doing for ages now?

Kagecchi singles tournament: 9 pm pacific 12 am eastern

Registered notable players so far:
Nemo
Matsuri
Sasa
Okkun
Santarou
Nashi
Misse
Electribe
Kyoku
Gonzales
aiai

The 2v2 tournament that is tomorrow looks way more stacked than the singles tournament.

Kalamari

Ken will probably be DLC if he doesn't make the vanilla release. No way will Capcom give up an opportunity for a Ryu headswap to make some easy paper.

CPS2

Having a rumour that Ken isn't in SF5 makes me almost convinced they're going to reveal him next week. And then I can watch people be amazed that Ken is in SF5... Probably the most popular character in SF4... So that will be exciting.

Having a rumour that Ken isn't in SF5 makes me almost convinced they're going to reveal him next week. And then I can watch people be amazed that Ken is in SF5... Probably the most popular character in SF4... So that will be exciting.

Is it possible to upgrade Ken's appearance from SF4 though?

GeoNeo

I disagree.

Yup, Unreal Engine 4 Ken is gonna have online warriors busting their nut hard.

No more mop head derp Ken.

0ku1CSv.jpg

Top Bottom