• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you start with the less expensive chibi's, you'll be less tempted to go for more expensive full sized ones, because they won't match your chibi set.

Some of them don't skimp on the extras either, like this Persona 4 one:

fi35423.jpg

so i heard talk of new taxes or something and it will increase the prices of most scaled figures by 10 dollars. Looking at Asuna (GSC), the AoT figma, orchid seed newest figures and alter....it looks like it might be true.

gokieks

Meiya figure arrived (took longer than usual... think I'm just going to suck it up and pay for EMS on everything from now on), and I promptly broke the sword while trying to insert it into her left hand. Thankfully it was an easy fix to glue back together.

Still not a huge fan of her face makeup (I dislike heavy eye shadow), but I love MLA and the character, and this is by far the best figure of her available since the GSC one is from their bad old days.

Side note: "gel control" superglue is fantastic and a massive improvement over the kind I used in the past (which admittedly was quite some time ago).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anyone have any experience with Chara-ani as a manufacturer? I'm thinking about picking up the Senran Kagura figures now that I've started playing the game.

My Dark Elf from Amiami is ready!

Oh, man. I'll be on the lookout for mine.
EDIT: Just got mine too!

So what's the consensus on Play-Arts figures? I just rewatched Man of Steel and now I really want dat Faora... But Play Arts... a man hears things, you know?

Bombless

So what's the consensus on Play-Arts figures? I just rewatched Man of Steel and now I really want dat Faora... But Play Arts... a man hears things, you know?

Dissapointed in my WW. I did get Spike because Spike and also POd Harlock and Kei (before I received WW). That'll be all Play Arts gets from me.

Now for the unboxing news : Finally took Black Gold Saw figma out of her plastic prison. Virtually no accessories (just 33215 pairs of hands and her sword) but I'll be damned if that isn't the best dissaproving face I've ever seen.

All in all I'm pretty happy about her, even though I paid way too much (55£). Now I need to get BRS and Dead Master (preferably before Strenght comes out, but the end of the year is going to be tight).

I personally stay well away from them. I was a bit disappointed (but inside relieved) that most Metal Gear figures these days are play arts.

Visible, stiff joints. Quality control is questionable often times. Way too expensive for what you get.

WolfStark

I think there isn't really a consensus, since Play Arts did such ambivalent jobs on their figures. Some are just horrible, others pretty decent. I have four Play Arts Kai: Meryl Silverburgh, FemShep, Harley Quinn, Lara Croft and Lupo and I can see both sides on them. Play Arts has a huge quality control problem. None of my figures is bad but some are just not the same quality as others. By the time PA paint jobs got better, I don't think I would call any bad painted but the joints on some like Lupo aren't that good, while Meryl or Harley stand by itself without question. Sometimes the figure feature pretty annoying features in the abdomen section. As much as I love Play Arts FemShep, her "hole" thanks to the diaper pants looking can be very annoying.

I can recommend Play Arts Kai in all conscience but if there is any consensus it's: Look up reviews, don't buy blind or you could regret it.

@Baka Zeitgeist
Deckard is looking pretty good, nice job.

I personally stay well away from them. I was a bit disappointed (but inside relieved) that most Metal Gear figures these days are play arts.

Visible, stiff joints. Quality control is questionable often times. Way too expensive for what you get.

Pretty much this unless you can find some for cheap etc, like I found Street Fighter Ryu and Chun Li, together for £40 and Cowboy Bebop's Spike was cheap at plamoya, not anymore now though =/

Edit: Speak of the devil (Play-Arts Metal Gear figures for ground zero :lol) [Metallic Snake]
Konami has two Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes bundles. The premium package sold at Amazon Japan includes a copy of the game, a novelized version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker written by Project Itoh who also wrote the Metal Gear Solid IV novel, and a Revoltech Snake figure. The figure also has accessories like an assault rifle, handgun, knife, scope, iDroid, and different hands. This bundle will cost 8,480 yen ($85).

Konami also has a 13,270 yen ($134) Konamistyle limited edition with a Playarts Kai Metallic Snake version. This figure has a rifle and scope accessories too.
mgsvgz15.jpg
mgsvgz17.jpg
mgsvgz16.jpg

And another Revoltech one:
mgsvgz12.jpg

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Has Two Limited Editions, Two Snake Figures

RocBase

I think there isn't really a consensus, since Play Arts did such ambivalent jobs on their figures. Some are just horrible, others pretty decent. I have four Play Arts Kai: Meryl Silverburgh, FemShep, Harley Quinn, Lara Croft and Lupo and I can see both sides on them. Play Arts has a huge quality control problem. None of my figures is bad but some are just not the same quality as others. By the time PA paint jobs got better, I don't think I would call any bad painted but the joints on some like Lupo aren't that good, while Meryl or Harley stand by itself without question. Sometimes the figure feature pretty annoying features in the abdomen section. As much as I love Play Arts FemShep, her "hole" thanks to the diaper pants looking can be very annoying.

I can recommend Play Arts Kai in all conscience but if there is any consensus it's: Look up reviews, don't buy blind or you could regret it.
Pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. I can't stress the "don't impulse buy; look them up first" point enough.

The QC problem with Play Arts has gotten progressively worse during the years, which is rubbish since their prices have been inflating to nonsensical proportions all the while. They also need to get rid of that shiny coat that makes them all look greasy.

Pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. I can't stress the "don't impulse buy; look them up first" point enough.

The QC problem with Play Arts has gotten progressively worse during the years, which is rubbish since their prices have been inflating to nonsensical proportions all the while. They also need to get rid of that shiny coat that makes them all look greasy.

I can't help but feel this is an apt metaphor for Square-Enix :lol

RMI

Banned

Yup. The sculpts don't look bad but the glossy finish makes the figures look like cheap crap.

Bombless

Oh boy looking forward to that -__-;
Also A/B Momohime at AmiAmi as well (10,980 JPY):
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-1726

Holy shit. Both available? If there's a pair of figures EVERYONE(.gif) should have, it's Momohime and Kongiku. The chance of a lifetime gentlemen! (ladies too)

Will get the package on Monday. Will post the photo of the box asap. My poor wallet. Really wishing for Bayo to be delayed now. Or at least fall after the paycheck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haha, I love how amiami also wraps stuff in tissue paper, inside the main box.
Obviously this doesn't really protect it from anything (maybe minor scratches), but it looks nice. Feels like I'm unwrapping some candy or something.
I came back to this thread to post the same thing. My Isabelle from New Leaf nendo arrived this week in a similar fashion. Even my parents remarked on how well packaged it was.

RMI

Banned
after what gradually became the coldest most miserable bike ride of the year, I have rectified my Tharja problem.

I don't know why it took so long. I had seen the figure before and it is obviously nice, but it wasn't until I saw it again on the front page at amiami that i started thinking maybe I was doing it wrong by not preordering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom