• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Yoshino re-release? Will buy. She's definitely MSRP-cute, but not 10k-or-more-cute.

I have a couple of quick questions if anyone is able to answer them. I'm in the process of redoing my entire bedroom (Can't wait to share when it's finished) and am thinking about finally raising my detolf's and getting lights. I found this at ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340/#/00105323 and it matches perfectly to the color of the detolf and the size is perfect too, the only problem is that the weight is 149 pounds and 3 detolfs weight about 245 pounds in total not including figures. I found a picture of someone using it for 3 detolfs and the middle sags a bit as you can see in this picture:

If I reinforce it and add more support in the middle of the shelf so it can absorb the weight should it be fine?

Secondly for the lighting I'm looking into http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/ Ive read that ikea changed the lighting from a bright white to a yellowish white is this true?

Thanks!

3 DETOLF is closer to 300 pounds for a round number (90lb packed, more when full of figures). I have seen either that same picture or one like it of a sagging LACK. I would avoid that unless you are willing to do some carpentry to put some braces in it in the middle AND put an extra support on the bottom since the LACK has feet.

This is the IKEA MOSJÖ (not my setup but you can see how it looks) so you could consider getting 2 of these so you'll have room for a 4th DETOLF (because of course you will need one eventually, right?!). They have no brace in the center but since they are only wide enough for 2 DETOLF I don't think you'll see the sagging problem like a LACK can have. Then again, the KALLAX is probably your best bet if you're shooting for 3 DETOLF with no plans to expand.

As for DIODER, I can't say for sure if they changed them or not since I didn't get any until recently. I am using them in my DETOLF so you can get an idea (kind of) of how they look in those pictures of my setup that you saw. They are definitely more on the warm side of the spectrum but I do not dislike them. Giolon recently wired up his DETOLF with some DIODER, too, so maybe he will chime in with an opinion.

To give you a better idea, here are some pictures I took up close of figures in my DETOLF lit by DIODER and no other special lighting. Do note that my walls behind my DETOLF are a sort of cream color so this actually exacerbates the issue and makes the lighting look even more yellowish than it really is on its own because all the reflected light goes right back into the DETOLF. (Click on them inside the quote block to expand to full size)
rkV0drJ.jpg

tx7vDbW.jpg

EqG58s0.jpg

7FWBMac.jpg

fXc6UpQ.jpg
Also, rather than repost all the pictures here, see my Favorite Figures for 2014 post in previous OT for more decently high res up close shots of several figures of varying coloration photographed under DIODER light. Unfortunately I don't really have side-by-side pictures of different light sources for any of these figures, but between having the figure yourself and looking at some other pictures you should be able to get an idea.

Would I prefer a less yellow DIODER? Yeah. Do they make for ideal photo-shoot lighting? Not really. However, I would still probably get more of them if I were going to light up some more DETOLF. If I was going to light a different kind of shelf I might look at other options where the form factor was less of a selling point (room for something longer).

If you have specific picture requests I can take some when I get home from work today, assuming it's something I can do. Hope this helps!

Zerojul

Was she GSC exclusive on her first run, and/or will she be for the rerelease?

I don't think so, no. I just think she'll be popular, she seems like one of the most sought after Nendos atm. Her MFC page says 580 guys are looking to get her, which is quite a high number I think ?

Kazzy

I haven't been keeping tabs on recent(ish) nendoroid releases, and so I was a little surprised for multiple reasons today. One, the fact that so many had passed me by, and secondly, the resale value on a couple of them. Generally, I find the prices tend to remain reasonable on recent models for a good chunk of time in Akihabara. The only real exception to this is when a specific release is limited, or otherwise obtainable entirely through unconventional means, such as lottery, etc. A lot of Miku models run into this problem, such as last years Snow Miku being listed for 10,000 + yen by sellers, before it had even been released (most advertised it simply by having the slip or insert box present).

IMBTaBk.jpg

The lowest I saw for this was probably around 7,000, though luckily, I can find it much more reasonable price on Amazon.jp.

Totally got Batman nendoroid though. It's so good!

LiK

I have a couple of quick questions if anyone is able to answer them. I'm in the process of redoing my entire bedroom (Can't wait to share when it's finished) and am thinking about finally raising my detolf's and getting lights. I found this at ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340/#/00105323 and it matches perfectly to the color of the detolf and the size is perfect too, the only problem is that the weight is 149 pounds and 3 detolfs weight about 245 pounds in total not including figures. I found a picture of someone using it for 3 detolfs and the middle sags a bit as you can see in this picture:

HhvceqV.jpg

If I reinforce it and add more support in the middle of the shelf so it can absorb the weight should it be fine?

Secondly for the lighting I'm looking into http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/ Ive read that ikea changed the lighting from a bright white to a yellowish white is this true?

Thanks!

yea, i think just putting support in both the middle and bottom parts in the middle can protect it from sagging. or maybe just build one with stronger materials cuz I wouldn't trust Ikea materials to hold up all that weight.

That picture is scary as fuck. I reaaaallly wouldn't use that piece to put my detolfs on. At the very least it needs serious support in the middle on both levels. And yes, the Dioder have a warm white light, turning slightly towards yellow.

3 DETOLF is closer to 300 pounds for a round number (90lb packed, more when full of figures). I have seen either that same picture or one like it of a sagging LACK. I would avoid that unless you are willing to do some carpentry to put some braces in it in the middle AND put an extra support on the bottom since the LACK has feet.not my setup but you can see how it looks) so you could consider getting 2 of these so you'll have room for a 4th DETOLF (because of course you will need one eventually, right?!). They have no brace in the center but since they are only wide enough for 2 DETOLF I don't think you'll see the sagging problem like a LACK can have. Then again, the KALLAX is probably your best bet if you're shooting for 3 DETOLF with no plans to expand.

yea, i think just putting support in both the middle and bottom parts in the middle can protect it from sagging. or maybe just build one with stronger materials cuz I wouldn't trust Ikea materials to hold up all that weight.

Thanks for the replys, and yeah I wouldn't be leaving it as is i'd be supporting it like this (Sorry for the bad MS paint job lol

9QCLFyH.jpg

I'd have the left and right detolf supported by the sides and ill put a wedge of wood where the ends of those detolfs would be and for the middle detolf i'll add a wedge to supoort it in the middle that way it looks like the shelf has 4 compartments inside. Lastly i'll place a wedge of wood in the middle underneath the shelf so its not just the legs on either side. Think something like that should suffice? The way I have my room any bigger then that shelf is too big so a bigger shelf/more detolfs wont work.

As for the lights thank for those pictures! They don't look so bad

Yaari

Wow, glad I checked here because I was seriously considering that Yoshino for 14k. I thought it was my lucky day to see her on there.

Alot of site overprice that Nendo. Let's see if they are all going to quickly lower it. I hate the overpriced nonsense. Very happy that GSC does a re-release instead.

It's the best Nendo out there IMO.

BadWolf

I also have to say that the Revoltech Lupin and Jigen are AMAAAAAAZING. The amount of props and ways you can pose them are truly impressive. They look better than they do in the pictures, too, as they're pretty tiny. When you see the close ups the joints become really noticeable but they look great in person.

Yeah, love these. They were my second purchase and are still one of my faves. As you mentioned, they pose so damn well.

(I got Lupin with the lack pants and green jacket and yellow tie)

omlet

I'Lastly i'll place a wedge of wood in the middle underneath the shelf so its not just the legs on either side. Think something like that should suffice? The way I have my room any bigger then that shelf is too big so a bigger shelf/more detolfs wont work.
I think the way you drew it would work.

souhait

Neo Member
Finally unboxed Homucifer! I wanted to take pictures of more of her poses but I only had time for one before work. :\

I didn't realize her left arm wasn't fully connected until I was looking at the pictures on my computer. Agh. I'll have to try again later. I had some trouble getting the stand peg to stay in her back, but other than that she's pretty easy to set up. Her wings are so much better than Godoka's.

omlet

So it's March now that means we can spend money again, right? I more or less completely avoided looking at anything preowned for the last week of February :lol...

Finally unboxed Homucifer! I wanted to take pictures of more of her poses but I only had time for one before work. :\
Nice. Mine made it to the US finally so it should be here maybe by the end of this week (for a 5 week SAL trip)
It might even be overkill. I'd think the middle support should be enough.
Yeah, probably.

cajunator

Banned
Don't know who Yoshino is and I'll keep it that way.

Its probably best you dont because mother of god she is adorable. I have this figure from Plum.

I haven't been keeping tabs on recent(ish) nendoroid releases, and so I was a little surprised for multiple reasons today. One, the fact that so many had passed me by, and secondly, the resale value on a couple of them. Generally, I find the prices tend to remain reasonable on recent models for a good chunk of time in Akihabara. The only real exception to this is when a specific release is limited, or otherwise obtainable entirely through unconventional means, such as lottery, etc. A lot of Miku models run into this problem, such as last years Snow Miku being listed for 10,000 + yen by sellers, before it had even been released (most advertised it simply by having the slip or insert box present).

Totally got Batman nendoroid though. It's so good!

Kurumi nendo is shipped on her way to my house right now!

I still need to find why Saber is so popular.
But I do not have patience to watch a thousand Fate animes.

Maybe it's the whole servant thing. I do like Saber but have no figures yet. I like her classic blue or the red extra. The bride look is just too much and this one is a little boring.

I like Saber because 1: she's blonde, and 2: she uses a two handed sword. Something about women using large swords is cool to me.

My Momohime that I got for a pretty good price on ebay just shipped! Can't wait, I've been wanting this beauty for awhile and she was always so expensive.

she's got a sword breh.

I'd rather have a girl from Claymore than her.

Maybe it's the whole servant thing. I do like Saber but have no figures yet. I like her classic blue or the red extra. The bride look is just too much and this one is a little boring.

I like Saber because 1: she's blonde, and 2: she uses a two handed sword. Something about women using large swords is cool to me.

The servant thing might be true, too, I gotta ask some of my other friends why they like her.

Vito

Banned
This is Saber of Red, not exactly the same Saber from the main series.

There's just Fate/Stay Night UBW by ufotable and the prequel Fate/Zero.

omlet

Lucky for you there are only two. Zero and UBW. No more excuses. Go watch Zero.

It's actually just a longsword that can be used as a one-handed weapon but she wields it with two hands. Not that that distinction is really all that important because swordgirls are the best.

Well, at least it isn't a lot.

There are actuality 3. The first FSN, Fate Zero and now FSN Unlimited Blade Works. UBW hasn't finished airing but is really good so far. The original FSN is kinda meh. I haven't watched Zero yet but it's on my to watch list and most people say it's amazing.

omlet

The servant thing might be true, too, I gotta ask some of my other friends why they like her.
That may have something to do with it for some people, but many characters in the Fate stories are "servants" in context of the battle, and that doesn't always mean that they're subservient in the least.

Part of her big popularity in Japan is, like darkblade mentioned last time this just came up, is her character embodies the "yamato nadeshiko" while also having the allure of a foreign mystique (blond hair with blue eyes) and while also being kick-ass with a sword.

Saber is a tragic hero in the Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night stories and that also helps give some people an emotional connection
especially Gilgamesh

She hits a lot of moe points. That's basically the answer.

I like Saber but I'm good with just the couple figures of her that I have.

Time for some impulse spending!

Meyneth

Ha
Just got someone else's amiami order lumped with my stuff today.

I gave it back to the postman and pointed out the address to him

SoldnerKei

There are actuality 3. The first FSN, Fate Zero and now FSN Unlimited Blade Works. UBW hasn't finished airing but is really good so far. The original FSN is kinda meh. I haven't watched Zero yet but it's on my to watch list and most people say it's amazing.

Zero is pretty good, but I feel it actually gets going until chapter 12, before that it's good, but the series gets into the better stuff from that chapter and beyond imo

I like Saber(because she is a swordie <3), but not much than other characters like Zero's Rider & Lancer, specially Rider

Finally got my curio cabinet moved into my fiancee's place, then cleaned it out and got the figures I had in it set up. I had already put a lot of my figures into storage, so it's 4 scales, 4 nendos, 1 figma and my amiibo figures.

Kinda frustrated with the nendos...they are all K-ON nendos that use the older, crappier stands. Yui's actually broke, so I've been just to stand her up without it. Not an easy task :/.

Anyway, I still have more space left so I'm going to put a couple more scales in and save room for ship girl figures.

That may have something to do with it for some people, but many characters in the Fate stories are "servants" in context of the battle, and that doesn't always mean that they're subservient in the least.

Part of her big popularity in Japan is, like darkblade mentioned last time this just came up, is her character embodies the "yamato nadeshiko" while also having the allure of a foreign mystique (blond hair with blue eyes) and while also being kick-ass with a sword.

Saber is a tragic hero in the Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night stories and that also helps give some people an emotional connection
especially Gilgamesh

She hits a lot of moe points. That's basically the answer.

I like Saber but I'm good with just the couple figures of her that I have.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom