• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need some nendo advice.

I'm moving pretty soon, I have a lot of nendos that are going to need some shelving space, and it occurs to me that just going DETOLF like many fig-gaf posters before me isn't going to cut it for what I want to do; basically I want each shelf to be a set piece of some sort using nendos.

By set piece, I mean stuff like this that you see on MFC all the time:
pinkcheeks1423442044.png

So I need something that doesn't waste headroom wrt displaying nendoroid sets, has some clear doors so I don't have to worry about dust, and isn't too difficult to install lighting in.

Anyone gone down this route before? Suggestions or pictures you could possibly share with me?

EDIT: a friend showed me something like this, IKEA's Besta with added doors and lighting, so far this is in the ballpark if I could cut the headroom down further:

Well you're obviously better at controlling your spending than the rest of us.
depends on what im buying...

Ive actually decided I'm willing to spend a bit more on figures, which is why I bought holo, sol, and triumphant excalibur saber in the same month.

Graphics cards are my crutch though...I spent $1,047 on my last GPU upgrade

Bombless

I know the feeling, I went to the post office to pick a package that I missed (I don't use this post office much but its the one where my packages are loaded to be delivered) and gave my address and they knew me by name and said "So your the one who gets all the packages" it gets worse though, my second trip about a month later to pick up another missed package and the clerk only had to look at me to know it was "Package girl" I didn't even need to show my id lol Who knows what the workers who load my packages are saying if the whole post office knows who i am :O

My delivery guy probably knows me as "the asshole that's never there and whe he does he doesn't have cash to pay the customs fee on the spot so I have to haul his big ass boxes to the Post Office anyway". The clerks at the office itself don't seem to recognise me. I only show up once a month anyway and it's a big post office, that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Holy shit. Got my Elin Mystic in today.

Wow. I'm speechless. She is absolutely flawless. She's HUGE and heavy. I was shocked how large she was. Her paint is immaculate. Her sculpt is awesome. I'm floored. She's by far the nicest scale I own.

I'm super excited for the Slayer.

Thunder thighs man, thunder thighs.

In other news, EUR to JPY is SUFFERING.

I hope it'll climb again before April and the 50k bill ;_;

In other other news, I finally managed to find the time to pick the KanColle Box Of Doom from the post office today.
The completely random customs fees struck again : 30€ for Wo and 36€for the others. I'm not really complaining but what the eff.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You should do what Theonik is clearly doing and convert all your Euros into nendos before the value plummets completely.

kewlmyc

I was originally going to limit myself to Persona, X-Men bishoujos, and Vanillaware. That didn't last long.

Haha, I was just going to get Elizabeth (P3) figures, then it moved on to only Persona figures, then only Persona and Madoka figures, then it kinda fell apart after that.

In other news, EUR to JPY is SUFFERING.

I hope it'll climb again before April and the 50k bill ;_;

USD STRONGEST THERE IS.

Haha, I was just going to get Elizabeth (P3) figures, then it moved on to only Persona figures, then only Persona and Madoka figures, then it kinda fell apart after that.

Pretty much me. Was just going to get Persona stuff, Senran Kagura and Bishoujo for Xmen. The I saw Cammy, so I decided on street fighter, then Samurai recolor. At that point I stopped giving a fuck.

*phew* gone for a month and there's already 80 pages. my January order finally came in last week, SAL took a lot longer than usual. Raiden looks incredible, will be posting pics soon.

kewlmyc

I got him too, didn't know he lights up!

Yeah, when you take of his head, there's a tab that you can remove that activates his eye light. There's also a button on the neck part of his removed head that turns the light on and off.

LiK

Yeah, when you take of his head, there's a tab that you can remove that activates his eye light. There's also a button on the neck part of his removed head that turns the light on and off.

wait, I have to remove the head to toggle the light? :(

kewlmyc

wait, I have to remove the head to toggle the light? :(

Yeah, the head is removable. Check the instructions in the box for pictures on how to remove it, if I recall correctly. It's the same as every other figure with a removable head.

Also, did you also have troubles getting his sword holder to stay attached to his back? My only gripe with the figure.

Bombless

EDIT: a friend showed me something like this, IKEA's Besta with added doors and lighting, so far this is in the ballpark if I could cut the headroom down further:

Whoa, that looks real good! Where are the doors though? I can't tell. Also, whichs lights are those?

I'm still torn on the shelves I want for the new apartment and that setup would be perfect for the versatile configuration I want.

LiK

Yeah, the head is removable. Check the instructions in the box for pictures on how to remove it, if I recall correctly. It's the same as every other figure with a removable head.

Also, did you also have troubles getting his sword holder to stay attached to his back? My only gripe with the figure.

I haven't opened it yet which is why I was inquiring. kinda bummed I can't just switch it on from the back of the base or something.

Ryuuroden

I was one of those who said "I don't need figures, they're just expensive decoration" - got a figure as a gift and began to buy scales... then I was "figmas' joints ruin them" - got Link & Samus figmas again as a gift loved them and ordered Lucina myself... then I was "well, at least I am not into nendos" - got Toon Link as xmas present, Fire Emblem nendos get announced at Wonfest meaning insta buy

regarding Figures everything will be a distant memory once you step in lol

Haha, that was totally me for like 5 years. I teased my friends for "wasting" money on figures. When I finally got my first figure it was all over, I needed more. I am at 39 scales in 3 years now. I have managed to control my purchasing pretty well but I also tend to go for the more expensive figures. scales are a big enough dent on the wallet that I am avoiding falling into the nendo pit. Actually all the Lego models I have on display and have to dust are a big deterrent. I did a deep clean of my apartment a few weeks ago and it took me 16 hours over 2 days and most of that time was dusting and vacuuming.

omlet

I don't like this business of having to check your usernames when you guys post....hope they fix the avatars soon :p
I leave avatars off anyway, business as usual for me!
Whoa, that looks real good! Where are the doors though? I can't tell. Also, whichs lights are those?

I'm still torn on the shelves I want for the new apartment and that setup would be perfect for the versatile configuration I want.
The doors are there but they don't have thick boarders. Those are IKEA BESTA with IKEA doors (not sure of the name of the doors; can ask him later). Edit: It might be these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90278036/ but they don't look exactly like in his picture (pictures on IKEA site show a much thicker border).

Lights are INREDA as mentioned (one per shelf is gonna be $$$ but they do look nice... note that owner of that shelf talked to me about the way the lights are angled means that anything bigger than nendo size near the rear of the shelf is not well lit, so like a scale figure near the rear will have its torso/face not well lit--you can see in the picture what I mean).

I may be doing something like this with a BESTA or BILLY soon for my growing nendo army.

However, I won't be leaving my snow miku in the cold like he did.

Ryuuroden

Oh btw, if we count Lego minifigures as figures I most likely have you all beat. Just passed 4,000 a few weeks back >.>. No, they are not all on display.

Ryuuroden

Have they announced the next mini figure series yet? I hope its not simpsons again.

Not sure of the orders, but there is a 2nd wave of Simpson's coming out at some point. Current series is a regular series with characters like guy in hotdog suit. In the fall a monster theme series is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom