• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
For the sake of your wallet stay away.

you're here forever

your ava reminded me that I want to buy this one..
51pNhUH6DiL.jpg

Acid08

Banned
To be serious for a second, as a collector you gotta be careful getting so much stuff at once. There's a certain high that comes with online ordering and getting a bunch of stuff in the mail, and believe me I love it to death. It feels like Christmas. It's part of the reason I got so hooked on collecting five years ago. But it's also really, really easy to get overwhelmed and burnt out if you go too fast. There's such a thing as too much, and while the concept of too much is different for everyone, everyone's got that limit and it's very easy to look at everything and go "okay, now what?". It's often at that point that a lot of collectors break down and then maybe sell everything or pack it away without enjoying it, which isn't much of a hobby to be honest.

You guys gotta savor the acquisitions. Buy the shit that you really want, not just stuff you kinda maybe want. And when they come in, admire them. Love them. Because if you don't love the thing you bought, what's the point?

Not judging anyone or making assumptions or calling anyone out, just making a general statement here. I've been to that point a few times where stuff just came so fast that I didn't know what to do with it. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I still have that's packed away and I've completely forgotten about. And I think anyone who's been at this hobby for at least a few years has been down this road once or twice. This cycle of buying, waiting, opening, and admiring is pretty fucking amazing. Just try not to get in over your head, or you'll lose that high and wonder what you're doing with your life.

I definitely had to do some reflection about a month into collecting. I feel good about where I'm at now, all of the pre-orders I've been making have been good ones from series I love. I'm really trying to get away from the random buys.

meijiko

God isn't that the truth? I know I got a little carried away when I first started collecting. Once I picked up a couple of Bishoujos, it was all down hill from there. So many figures I wanted and so many I wanted to preorder. It was a little overwhelming at first. Luckily I started coming to my senses after buying a couple of figures I didn't really want. It wasn't so much the money spent that bothered me, rather the limited amount of space I have to store them. Unwanted figures taking up space in an already small apartment sucks, and it's not like I can run them down to GameStop to sell them. But yeah, this entire post is sound advice for newcomers.

How have you been, meijiko? Don't see you around these parts anymore.

Oh yeah, space is a major issue for me, though I try not to make it a huge factor when making purchasing decisions, because I know I won't be in this apartment forever. But it's probably the number one problem that collectors of anything face. A shelf is never big enough.

And I've been alright, thanks for asking! I kinda go through these periods where I step away from forums/social media for a bit and try to focus on other things, because otherwise I kinda get burnt out. Part of it was also the constant Kancolle stuff (I don't have anything against the franchise, but it was pretty overwhelming here for a bit for someone who doesn't take much interest) but it was mostly the other thing. I'd still come in occasionally and look at the butts, tho. There really is nothing quite like a well-sculpted ass.

Good advice.

Another thing is of course space. Not just for the figures, but all the boxes you'll start to accumulate.

Never mind, places to display my figures, I'm figuring out where should all these boxes go.

I could almost build myself a house with all the boxes I've got.

Acid08

Banned
That seems like a lot for a MegaHouse RAHDX from that long ago. The quality on those was certainly not where it is now.

You should pre-order Balzac instead. Balzac for everyone.

She is the most expensive one of that older line. Not the rarest even, Allenby pops up less, but definitely the most expensive. Haman is one of my favorite characters ever though, so I will eventually pay up. Just not right now.

kierwynn

I've been out of town visiting the fiance's family for the past 5 days- just got home today and my sweet swimming prince was waiting for me!

(bad pic is bad but I have like zero space right now since I'm rearranging things lol)

All my figures are boxed up right now while I do some cleaning/rearranging, so I'm trying to resist the urge to open him right away. Need to get Haru sometime now, but my fiance is already fretting about the preorders we have now, so I'll probably have to wait a few months. lol

I've been out of town visiting the fiance's family for the past 5 days- just got home today and my sweet swimming prince was waiting for me!

(bad pic is bad but I have like zero space right now since I'm rearranging things lol)

All my figures are boxed up right now while I do some cleaning/rearranging, so I'm trying to resist the urge to open him right away. Need to get Haru sometime now, but my fiance is already fretting about the preorders we have now, so I'll probably have to wait a few months. lol

jelly of Makoto.

Not so jelly, I'm willing to pay the after market prices for him though.

meijiko

He's a great figure, and Haru was too, but man I just didn't feel Free as much as I thought I would. It isn't often that I sell figures, but after seeing the secondary market prices for them I felt that I would be happier with the money.

10k when she was an exclusive that was initially 15k.

That is a good price. I'd be tempted, but I'm not a Persona superfan like some of you guys, but I would still be obliged to start buying Persona figs. And that's something I would NOT want to get into.

Making an exception for Sega's Marie, though. So cheap, so cute.

Acid08

Banned
I think I'm only going to end up with 6 Persona figures.

P4:
Megahouse Yukiko
Megahouse Chie
Wave Rise

P3:
Ques Q Liz
Koto Mitsuru
Vertex Yukari

Also maybe an Aigis in there somewhere. Don't know which one. So not that many!

kierwynn

jelly of Makoto.

Not so jelly, I'm willing to pay the after market prices for him though.

I admit he was a little more than I would have liked, but it wasn't as much as it I've seen out there. (Plus I didn't even actually pay for it- my mom wanted me to do some baking for a wedding shower she is helping with and paid for my cooperation with a figure :p)

He's a great figure, and Haru was too, but man I just didn't feel Free as much as I thought I would. It isn't often that I sell figures, but after seeing the secondary market prices for them I felt that I would be happier with the money.

I don't blame you. lol Yeah, the pics of Haru I've seen look good- it'll be nice when I can finally get him!

I think I'm only going to end up with 6 Persona figures.

P4:
Megahouse Yukiko
Megahose Chie
Wave Rise

P3:
Ques Q Liz
Koto Mitsuru
Vertex Yukari

Also maybe an Aigis in there somewhere. Don't know which one. So not that many!

I'll probably follow this list, plus a crapton of Aigis.

EDIT: Plus that list that Johnsmith did, IIRC.

Bombless

To be serious for a second, as a collector you gotta be careful getting so much stuff at once. There's a certain high that comes with online ordering and getting a bunch of stuff in the mail, and believe me I love it to death. It feels like Christmas. It's part of the reason I got so hooked on collecting five years ago. But it's also really, really easy to get overwhelmed and burnt out if you go too fast. There's such a thing as too much, and while the concept of too much is different for everyone, everyone's got that limit and it's very easy to look at everything and go "okay, now what?". It's often at that point that a lot of collectors break down and then maybe sell everything or pack it away without enjoying it, which isn't much of a hobby to be honest.

You guys gotta savor the acquisitions. Buy the shit that you really want, not just stuff you kinda maybe want. And when they come in, admire them. Love them. Because if you don't love the thing you bought, what's the point?

Not judging anyone or making assumptions or calling anyone out, just making a general statement here. I've been to that point a few times where stuff just came so fast that I didn't know what to do with it. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I still have that's packed away and I've completely forgotten about. And I think anyone who's been at this hobby for at least a few years has been down this road once or twice. This cycle of buying, waiting, opening, and admiring is pretty fucking amazing. Just try not to get in over your head, or you'll lose that high and wonder what you're doing with your life.

Quoting for truth. That monthly shipment unboxing is like a drug.

I remember someone a while back who started up and crashed and burned fairly quickly. Went as far as buying a Bounty Hunter Yoko only to sell her right away.

I've also been there one time, towards the end of my first year of collecting. I think I've gotten myself under control now, though there's always the odd impulse buy here and there (moderation in all things, especially moderation!).

The enabling, orders comparisons etc we do here aren't a race (though we do try to hard sometimes haha). What matters is you having fun in the hobby (and having fun with us!) and making sure it doesn't take over you life.

That being said, Kierwynn, your beau is probably just jealous of your husbandos. Order away I say!

Edit : God damn Meijiko, I'm not sure if I should applaud you or back away slowly then burst into sprint haha.
This is why I love FigureGAF so much.

george_us

Oddly enough I've never been super tempted to grab any Persona figs despite being a huge fan of the games. Vertex Mitsuru was on my radar for a bit but lost interest when she released.

We need more Jack Frost and Pyro Jack figs tho.

Acid08

Banned
Oddly enough I've never been super tempted to grab any Persona figs despite being a huge fan of the games. Vertex Mitsuru was on my radar for a bit but lost interested when she released.

Fuck those guys. Give me Black Frost figures.

Oddly enough I've never been super tempted to grab any Persona figs despite being a huge fan of the games. Vertex Mitsuru was on my radar for a bit but lost interested when she released.

Also a black frost if there isn't one. used him for the longest on my first play through of P4G.

LiK

i bought Persona figures before i even played the games. i just like their designs. now i want more figures after playin P4G. dammit!

Here's the item in question for anyone who might be interested. Not that interested in the Arena plotline to buy this considering it's forced EMS due to box size. 10k still isn't a bad price for her though. Awesome pose and base as well. Might be the best Megahouse Persona figure in terms of looks.

141615.jpg

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1017605198&ref=list

What a shame, would love to get it but forced EMS + me trying to save some money = ehh, nope.

Persona is one of the main reasons I started buying figs. I'd like to eventually have 1 of each of the main cast and some personas. I know I'll probably never get a Junpai, Ken or 1/8 Kanji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom