• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

Just found out Batgirl is getting a rerelease again. Why, she's still super freaking easy to find. Rerelease Supergirl already!!! She goes for over $150 on websites everywhere.

Hopefully she releases this month since Sorey comes out next month. If we don't hear anything next week, things won't look good at all.

Yeah that last thing I want is another item adding on to Aprils order -shiver- I wont have sorey until june though, I ordered him on Anime-Island because at the time it saved me about $10 but since the yen is even weaker now I don't really save anything but oh well lol

On a side note some tales of clear files that I found for a steal on ebay and some tales of xillia 2 posters I bought from a mfc split came in today.

Got my first Nendos. Took a few pictures that didn't really turn out great and will probably do some more pictures of these and my other stuff if I ever get a better setup:

16620039929_dfa44bc388_n_d.jpg

16620039239_6d6e8cdbc9_n_d.jpg

16598877797_2e11b725da_n_d.jpg

16805070472_cd9ee91071_n_d.jpg

16618795920_0f9410a4c8_n_d.jpg

Overall pretty happy with how they turned out, except Miyuki's hair has a point that was incredibly sharp and cut me :/...

16186245683_7f6c503736_n_d.jpg

That stupid face looking up at me while I was wrapping a band-aid on the cut kept making me crack up, though lol.

Einbroch

Banned
Got my first Nendos. Took a few pictures that didn't really turn out great and will probably do some more pictures of these and my other stuff if I ever get a better setup:

That stupid face looking up at me while I was wrapping a band-aid on the cut kept making me crack up, though lol.

So cute.

Overall pretty happy with how they turned out, except Miyuki's hair has a point that was incredibly sharp and cut me :/...

I love the Konata one

chrono01

I don't care for the source material, but this is one good-looking figure:

Using a black background for the picture probably wasn't a smart idea [given that her dress is black], but she still looks great. I love the silver design of her dress and the lines along the edges, it's really intricate. Mine should ship from AmiAmi shortly, as soon as I get the news that Houzouin Inshun has been delayed again [I'm sure she will be].

At least it makes it a relatively cheap month.

omlet

Amazon only had one option for shipping anyway.

Currency conversion? 3% fee is almost nothing, certainly wasn't going to get a new credit card for one transaction. Are there any that are worth getting? It would certainly need to not have an annual fee
http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver/ ( ´Д`)y━・~~

If you get serious about this hobby you might be surprised how fast 3% conversion fees will add up. Look into getting this card.

I'm getting both (◕‿‿◕。)

I really need to take some pics of the original again now that I have a tripod and some better lighting options.

Currency conversion? 3% fee is almost nothing, certainly wasn't going to get a new credit card for one transaction. Are there any that are worth getting? It would certainly need to not have an annual fee
You should get a credit card that doesn't card for foreign transactions. Those fees add up. Capital One, like omlet mentioned, is a great start. I put mine on my Marriot Visa so I can say that my figures help me travel lol.

Giolon

3% is terrible! That's one of the highest. See the advice about CapitalOne cards. They have no fee and will give you basically the market rate at the time of the transaction.

omlet

Okay, just finished (for today) what I have been working on a little bit at a time this week: more DETOLF renovation.

Going back to needing to angle the lights in-wards for the figures in the back to have their faces lit, I was thinking about trying some concave molding or some kind of weather stripping or something. I also wanted to do something to hide the actual light bulbs from the front because they're kind of distracting. I wasn't sure what exactly, but I went to the hardware store and looked around and found that 8 feet of molding was only $3.50 and it looked like it might work out just how I wanted.

For that price, it seemed worth a try. I got 2 of the 8 foot strips thinking 4x4 lights, 1 foot strip per light, 16 feet, but DETOLF are actually 13 3/4" between the metal railing, so I cut them to that length and didn't have enough for all the shelves but I went ahead and took some pictures now so you can see the progress and what kind of difference this makes. Sorry that some of these are kind of dark... I was working on this in my garage in the evenings after it got dark so I just used my phone because I didn't want to go in and get the real camera.

Measuring, cutting, sanding
f3kKAF1.jpg

uPlfnLE.jpg

Primer
2tLMle5.jpg

Paint
JJDsRQv.jpg

Installation
V9X61LI.jpg

JezlvcH.jpg

Eiwz7nL.jpg

mjGDOQY.jpg

How it looks right now (figures kind of disorganized due to the work)
I8b0OnD.jpg

(room lights off)
PIWQiKn.jpg

Compare to previous way where the lights were visible and more distracting from the front
Lc7JpQ9.jpg

Wanderer5

Zinogre I choose you- oh wait.

Eh looking at it again paint wise, it looks a bit too dirty like in places, but it not that big of a deal to me compare to the annoying leg joints. I wasn't expecting to be able to do all those crazy movement he does, but sheesh even barely moving those joints from what it like in the box to this had some annoyances.

i just got shipping estimates from USPS.

about 10-12 if you are in California. You get both insurance ($50) and tracking

about 15-17 for outside california. No insurance, but you have tracking.

PMd people involved as well.

Still have kosmos swimsuit for sale. Forgot what I priced it at but it was cheaper than aftermarket mandarake

Ultimadrago

Using a black background for the picture probably wasn't a smart idea [given that her dress is black], but she still looks great. I love the silver design of her dress and the lines along the edges, it's really intricate. Mine should ship from AmiAmi shortly, as soon as I get the news that Houzouin Inshun has been delayed again [I'm sure she will be].

At least it makes it a relatively cheap month.

chrono pulled the trigger~

I'm getting both (◕‿‿◕。)

You
magnificent
fool!

chrono01

Okay, just finished (for today) what I have been working on a little bit at a time this week: more DETOLF renovation.

Going back to needing to angle the lights in-wards for the figures in the back to have their faces lit, I was thinking about trying some concave molding or some kind of weather stripping or something. I also wanted to do something to hide the actual light bulbs from the front because they're kind of distracting. I wasn't sure what exactly, but I went to the hardware store and looked around and found that 8 feet of molding was only $3.50 and it looked like it might work out just how I wanted.

For that price, it seemed worth a try. I got 2 of the 8 foot strips thinking 4x4 lights, 1 foot strip per light, 16 feet, but DETOLF are actually 13 3/4" between the metal railing, so I cut them to that length and didn't have enough for all the shelves but I went ahead and took some pictures now so you can see the progress and what kind of difference this makes. Sorry that some of these are kind of dark... I was working on this in my garage in the evenings after it got dark so I just used my phone because I didn't want to go in and get the real camera.
Nicely done, it all looks great!

chrono pulled the trigger~
I'm afraid that trigger was pulled long ago.

But yes, I did. >_<

Zinogre I choose you- oh wait.

Eh looking at it again paint wise, it looks a bit too dirty like in places, but it not that big of a deal to me compare to the annoying leg joints. I wasn't expecting to be able to do all those crazy movement he does, but sheesh even barely moving those joints from what it like in the box to this had some annoyances.

Wow he is a lot smaller than I imagined. Still really cool though. Zinogre is one of my favorites monsters.

i just got shipping estimates from USPS.

about 10-12 if you are in California. You get both insurance ($50) and tracking

Yay California. Looking forward to it.

omlet

gasp! is that a Mad Cat?

I just started replaying Mech Commander. Not super into Battletech but Mad Cat's my favorite mech.

Yeah that's a K'Nex and LEGO
Timber Wolf

Mech Commander as in the old PC game? That is one fantastic game. I've played it through like 3 or 4 times. I used to play MW3 and 4 online a lot, great games. I have some BattleTech (table top) stuff, too.

Funny. Been thinking about this since the first time I saw your post about how you angled them to begin with. I thought of maybe taking some square doweling and then just ripping them at a 45 degree angle. Then I came to the realization, that would be easily down without risking some fingers. Why not just grab a slab of that project pine, as wide as needed, and then just rip off lengths a the desired angle?

That does look good by the way. Just thinking the curved side of that molding likely made it difficult to center and would be harder to mount the LED's flush.

omlet

Funny. Been thinking about this since the first time I saw your post about how you angled them to begin with. I thought of maybe taking some square doweling and then just ripping them at a 45 degree angle. Then I came to the realization, that would be easily down without risking some fingers. Why not just grab a slab of that project pine, as wide as needed, and then just rip off lengths a the desired angle?

That seems like a lot of trouble when you could just use something like precut molding strips. Unless you have the tools to do what you're describing with ease, I guess (which I don't).

Edit for edit:
That does look good by the way. Just thinking the curved side of that molding likely made it difficult to center and would be harder to mount the LED's flush.
You mean difficult to center the lights? It was easy to get the lights on there and make sure they were pretty close to centered and straight (to my eye). I mean, the point is to hide the light so who cares if it's a quarter of an inch off-center?

Never thought to check how you did that. When I set my son's up, I got some thick straws, made one slit along the full length of it, then slipped them over top of the wires and frame. Completely hid the wires using only 8 straws. The only thick straws I could find were a bag of mixed ones from Walmart, but I used the blue ones in the bag which matched the decor in his room. If you could find white ones, or grey for that matter, you could always use those. Heck, I guess you could just spray paint them whatever colour you wanted. (I never thought of that until just now).

That seems like a lot of trouble when you could just use something like precut molding strips. Unless you have the tools to do what you're describing with ease, I guess (which I don't).

I'd just use a table saw and rip them that way.

Edit for edit:

You mean difficult to center the lights? It was easy to get the lights on there and make sure they were pretty close to centered and straight (to my eye). I mean, the point is to hide the light so who cares if it's a quarter of an inch off-center?

It does look great. I'm just overly OCD when it comes to having things centered, level, plumb, square. Sooooo OCD. lol. I could see myself fussing for hours.

omlet

My trip to Ikea is postponed until next week (so you must wait longer for my bedroom pictures) but Ive heard that the white in the multiculor diodor, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ is neutral rather then yellowish white like the plain white version. Does anyone know if the cord for the 4 lights can reach all the shelfs of a detolf? can't seem to find the exact length of them.

It says right on the product page "Light color; warm white (2700 Kelvin)." This is the same as the plain DIODER. RIP 5000K old style DIODER. :\

As for the question about the cord length, uh... you saw my setup and I'm using them so yes they can indeed! :p The four wires from the light to the little piece that all 4 plug into are about 6 feet long or so? Then the wire from there to the power cord is about another 6 feet long or so. They're pretty long. Kind of a mess to deal with them all.

It says right on the product page "Light color; warm white (2700 Kelvin)." This is the same as the plain DIODER. RIP 5000K old style DIODER. :\

As for the question about the cord length, uh... you saw my setup and I'm using them so yes they can indeed! :p The four wires from the light to the little piece that all 4 plug into are about 6 feet long or so? Then the wire from there to the power cord is about another 6 feet long or so. They're pretty long. Kind of a mess to deal with them all.

Yeah that I unfortunately read however I saw a few posts on MFC where people have said that the multicolor diodor even though they have the same 2700 are able to get a more neutral white compared the the plain white diodor thats why I asked. I saw your pictures great set up! Do you have the multicolored diodor though? It looks like you have the regular white one and from comparing the white vs multi on ikea the multi's cord seems thicker and shorter then the white version.

They ARE long and I agree, a mess to deal with. Kinda wish there was less length. But I guess then there'd be someone wishing there was more. I ended up bluilding a little box (for lack of a better word) the width of my son's detolf then stuffed all the wires and the box the four lights plug into, under it. Painted it out black and it looks like it was always there. Took a bit of space from the bottom shelf but it also acts as a built in riser. The only cord coming out of the detolf is the actual power chord.

Mokoi

Banned
*dank pics*

16186245683_7f6c503736_n_d.jpg

ahahahaha you got cut from the nendo; therefore, it is the best nendo of the bunch.

omlet

Yeah that I unfortunately read however I saw a few posts on MFC where people have said that the multicolor diodor even though they have the same 2700 are able to get a more neutral white compared the the plain white diodor thats why I asked. I saw your pictures great set up! Do you have the multicolored diodor though? It looks like you have the regular white one and from comparing the white vs multi on ikea the multi's cord seems thicker and shorter then the white version.

Ah, I only have plain ones, no multi-color, so I can't compare. However, from looking at the picture the multi-color ones look like the same kind of wiring that my plain ones had when I unpacked them.

If you can compare the white color on the DIODER at the store, please do report your findings! If they really are 2700K as described then I doubt that even if they're slightly cooler in reality that they're that much different but who knows.

Ah, I only have plain ones, no multi-color, so I can't compare. However, from looking at the picture the multi-color ones look like the same kind of wiring that my plain ones had when I unpacked them.

If you can compare the white color on the DIODER at the store, please do report your findings! If they really are 2700K as described then I doubt that even if they're slightly cooler in reality that they're that much different but who knows.

Yeah, I've just read from a few users that they are a bit more cool white then the pure white. If I get them i'll be sure to let you know how they work and post some pictures. I found a site with some cool white light strips, they are a bit more expensive but they are 5800K - 6800K http://www.barlighting.com/4-Strip-Cool-White-Kit-p/4sk-cw.htm I've read they have a slight blue tint though

Yeah that's a K'Nex and LEGO
Timber Wolf

Mech Commander as in the old PC game? That is one fantastic game. I've played it through like 3 or 4 times. I used to play MW3 and 4 online a lot, great games. I have some BattleTech (table top) stuff, too.

yea the pc game. It was released as freeware. I miss the days of live action actors in cut scenes.

I wish my PC was good enough to support MechWarrior online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom