• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Ku Ku Ku...

Yeah that Koto Kobato was the first figure of her I ever got, I got her last year at Anime Boston along with Koto's Daisy and Koto's Kurama (Oh Kurama we need more figures of you :'( ) Those were my first 3 figures that weren't part of a video game CE

There's also a limited red version of that figure
I like the face on the red one better so I went for that one. It's cute.

Chance

I wanna' talk about Nendos - but first, as lewdness and inclusiveness seems to be today's topic, I'll bite. The lewdest thing I own is Megahouse's Sorceress from Dragon's Crown. I wanted to complete the set, I completed the set, and after running a Sorceress (named after Roger Rabbit's beloved wife) up to level 107, I can tell you she's totally frickin' awesome.

186013.jpg

She weirds out my friends, but my GF loves her. Actually pushed me to get her, to complete the set after it became clear the Elf and Amazon (my fav char) were definitely going to happen. And that's what's important - that I'm free to feel good about this strange thing that I love, and feel supported.

Now, obviously, for folks who've never seen the Sorceress - or are unfamiliar with the depths of depravity to which figures can descend - she's plenty lewd. To those people I would say you have no idea what is out there and how far it goes. You don't want to know, and if you were to look upon its horror you would, thereafter, see the kestrels. By comparison, the Sorceress is as tame as Saturday morning Flintstones.

batman%2Bconversation%2Bover.gif

And I'll also say that... our generation has no unifying experience of popular culture. We have no Elvis or Beetles - no shared experience and love that binds us all. We are a generation of innumerable strange little splinter groups, who can feel quite strange until we wander onto some secret corner of the Internet and discover we aren't alone in our affection for this, that and the other. There are forums for people who can't shut up about kitchen knives. I'll bet I could Google a support group for carrot-related problems... there we go.

And that's nice. It's beautiful that our generation is permitted so much freedom of expression, and has such a unique opportunity to explore and learn about the strange things that we, individually, adore. It's never just you, we find. There are people like us, who love what we love, and can help us love it better.

And the thought that someone could discover FigureGAF - discover a place that celebrates and adores the same thing that they adore - and feel... less than welcomed and comfortable is... distressing.

I love that I found this place. I've learned so much, here. I've come to accept and celebrate part of myself that I'd ignored - that I'd suppressed - thanks to this place, and inspired others to do the same. And I want anyone who stumbles through those cyber-doors to feel equally empowered and welcome and free to celebrate their divine geekery.

So that's my two cents. I'd like to talk about Nendos now.

I had confined myself (rather strictly, I should note) to Vanillaware-related scales until I happened upon FigureGAF and discovered Nendoroids. I gazed at them from a distance for months, until the GF and I were at a comic-con and I shot away from her to retrieve a box off a shelf.

"What is that?" she was perplexed.

"That... is the Ryuko Matoi Nendoroid," I said.

El_Zephon1424048328.jpeg

She doesn't watch anime, and doesn't really care who the character is. She just likes beautiful/cute/badass figures, and when she held her iPad up to me a few months before Christmas to show me the Yoko Littner Nendo, my course was clear. She bought me Link, and I secretly bought her Yoko. She was beside herself, and I didn't say anything at the time - but I hoped. I hoped I'd planted a seed, with that adorable little redhead with the terrible stand.

It remained dormant through the first few months of the new year, but it recently began to sprout - two months after my Solid Snake Nendo arrived. We went into a local hobby shop a few weeks ago and she bought the Rozen Maiden Suigintou - a gothic lolita with black wings - on impulse. And it was clear.

She had the Nendo fever. She began to explore the 'net, and browse. I sent her links to AmiAmi and Mandarake.

What follows occurred over the course of two days.

hIE1390445489.jpeg

She decided she needed Yoshino, so I slapped down a preorder as soon as the re-release went up on AmiAmi - but she knew that was her birthday present, so she kept looking for one to buy herself. She landed on Kotori Itsuka.

Agon1425343700r1425352639.jpeg

Ordered. For my part, I asked myself... were there any figs I really wanted? Not really. I mean, Alter's Selvaria is my Grail (now that I have Momohime and the Amazon), but I doubt I'll ever build up the floating bank to afford her.

But if I couldn't have Selvaria... y'know who else had an awesome design in a Valkyria Chronicles game? Imuka from VC3. And she got a Nendo.

Shiddo1303960520.jpeg

$40 on Amazon, and bootlegs apparently don't exist. Ordered.

The next day, I convinced a co-worker with no knowledge of figures whatsoever to order the Darth Vader Nendo, and it occurred to me... the Darth Vader Nendo is awesome... and I'll feel like an idiot after it comes out and I'm staring at $200 prices on Amazon...

hIE1425524630.jpeg

Ordered.

But the GF was still in the grips of wanton Nendo-lust, so we went to a J-pop store nearby. They had like, literally every shipgirl Nendo. I picked up Shimakaze and probably turned the box over fifteen times. So popular on FigureGAF... but I don't know the show. I don't care about shipgirls (sorry), and I didn't want to have a figure in my case I didn't have a story for. I put her back.

She was being sold for like a hundred bucks before tax, anyway. Eff that. I remarked to the GF that, if this overpriced J-pop store had the Satsuki Nendo in, I'd pay their inflated prices. 'Cause then - like my Dragon's Crown ladies - I could complete the set.

A half-hour later, I turned on my phone, and went to Amazon.

Found her.

Ordered.

Agon1404787779.jpeg

And it was like, shit. That snowballed quickly.

iSWXJaQmJLLWd.gif

souhait

Neo Member
Hey, how is that MegaHouse Utena? I've been debating her for a while, but I haven't seen any sign of their Anthy since they revealed the sculpt. And yes, I've seen all of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

I ended up being really happy with her, her paint is really sharp, and she has some nice little details, like the crest on her ring. Her pose is a little awkward, but I thought it looked better in-person. I've seen people on MFC call Sega's prize figure "show Utena" and Megahouse's "Newtype spread Utena," which is a good comparison.

I'm currently living in fear that Anthy will be cancelled.

Well here's mine again ._.
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/cajunator

Kobato is so adorable but I like Rikka even more.

My friends favorite character is Rikka, for you Rikka fans
even people who have never seen this anime should watch that clip, one of the greatest moments in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j41tEa8K20
Warning there is inappropriate language in there though lol

I like the face on the red one better so I went for that one. It's cute.
I haven't unboxed the red one yet but I know it's a really nice version and I love the way the red looks.

SerTapTap

I wanna' talk about Nendos - but first, as lewdness and inclusiveness seems to be today's topic, I'll bite. The lewdest thing I own is Megahouse's Sorceress from Dragon's Crown. I wanted to complete the set, I completed the set, and after runnings a Sorceress (named after Roger Rabbit's beloved wife) up to level 107, I can tell you she's totally frickin' awesome.

Who's the green rabbit girl? She's cute so I kinda want her but it feels weird buying figures I know nothing about

Femto.

She's great. Also big. Requires a lot of horizontal shelf-space.
As great as she looks I don't get that "need" feeling to buy her, I'm content at gawking at pictures of her. I feel the same way about Miku the way I do about Sonico.

Except their isn't a Sonico figure that I want or like lol

cajunator

Banned
My friends favorite character is Rikka, for you Rikka fans
even people who have never seen this anime should watch that clip, one of the greatest moments in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j41tEa8K20
Warning there is inappropriate language in there though lol

I haven't unboxed the red one yet but I know it's a really nice version and I love the way the red looks.

I dont think there is a Rikka figure and thats sad.

I think I added everyone, if I forgot you I'm sorry. Here's my MFC. I tried to update it, but most of my figures are in storage and I'm forgetting exactly what I have... (aside from all the SM stuff. My weakness.)

Ah, I got my Tamashii effects gray+red explosion and the SH Figuarts Batman in tonight. Nevermind the packages that shipped two weeks before these. lolol

cajunator

Banned
I like the designs but from "harem" I assume I wouldn't like the show. Maybe I'll get the nendo anyway if I'm already getting something else on ami when it releases

The premise is crazy. A bunch of powerful spirits threaten to destroy Tokyo when they appear and the MC is tasked with literally dating these girls to keep their powers under control. This seems to calm them down somehow. Like I said, its ridiculous.

I have this Yoshino.

I hate you X_X lol I'm still sour that I didn't start this hobby until nearly all the original Haganai/Kobato merchandise was all sold out. Now I stalk amiami and other sites to make sure I never miss anything again :p

I also love Kyouhei Kannazuki he's funny, I'm holding out on watching season 2 because maybe it's just me but I don't like watching anime unless I own the dvd/blu-ray of it, watching it online just feels hollow. Maybe I'm just weird lol So I need to wait until Funimation gets off their butts and releases the disks :3

The premise is crazy. A bunch of powerful spirits threaten to destroy Tokyo when they appear and the MC is tasked with literally dating these girls to keep their powers under control. This seems to calm them down somehow. Like I said, its ridiculous.

That sounds really similar to The World God Only Knows.

Green Hoodie Rabbit Ear Girl is obcenely adorable.

Better pre-order the re-release of Nendo Yoshino while you can... her price went pretty high last time she sold out.

souhait

Neo Member
I get that impression, too. She wasn't at WonderFest. :O

I was really hoping she'd be at Wonfes because she wasn't at Megahobby Expo. :( I don't know if I'll be able to forgive Megahouse for showing Anthy with both long and short hair options and then never delivering.

I was really hoping she'd be at Wonfes because she wasn't at Megahobby Expo. :( I don't know if I'll be able to forgive Megahouse for showing Anthy with both long and short hair options and then never delivering.

I don't think Utena sold all that well. She hit the bargain bin at HLJ for like, 5k. And MegaHouse seems to be moving to 1/10 scale for the things that aren't guaranteed big sellers.

Who do those bing-bongs belong to?

LiK

FUCKING AMAZON RESELLER. Ordered March 7. Estimated shipping is March 16-20. It's March 20 in Japan and still Preparing Shipment. How long does it fucking take to ship a damn iPhone case? I need them to ship it to BiJ! Man, if they weren't the only sellers for this case I would've just chosen Amazon directly.

Is it easy to cancel my Forwarding ticket order with BiJ? If this doesn't get shipped after deadline, I'm just gonna cancel the Amazon order.

cajunator

Banned
I don't think Utena sold all that well. She hit the bargain bin at HLJ for like, 5k. And MegaHouse seems to be moving to 1/10 scale for the things that aren't guaranteed big sellers.

Who do those bing-bongs belong to?

does that mean the Utena figures are still easy to acquire? I really want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom