• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guide looks fantastic. I read over it quickly, and I'm pretty excited to go home and give it a better look and start taking a few pics.

I only have a crummy phone at the moment, but is there a specific camera you would reccomend to a complete newbie? Preferably one under $500? I was actually looking at that a7 you had mentioned. I saw it being discussed after reading through the tail end of the equipment thread, and I think I know why you gave up on it... At least I know why I gave up on it.

$1,699.99
The majority of the photos you saw in that guide were taken with the Somy a6000, and an old vintage Canon F1.8/50mm. A few were taken with other lenses, but mostly the Canon. Before tax getting both of those would be right at $500. Alternatively, if you want to skimp on features, and cripple your flash capabilities, the a5100 isn't a bad camera -- it'll take very similar pictures, but will only ever have the not too great pop up flash. The lack of anything but that pop up is what drove me to trade it in towards the a6000, but ultimately the a6000 is just a much, much nicer platform. Much faster, more dials, more grip, etc.

The a6000 does come as a kit, with an 18-55mm lens, MSRP at $600. The kit lens isn't anything special (pretty much any standalone lens will probably beat it in IQ), but it is a cheap way to have the auto crutches until you get the hang of camera operation, as well as autofocus for times where you dont have time to focus yourself.

EDIT: The a7 isn't something I would recommend to a beginner. Honestly, even if I had the money, its not a camera I should get personally. Would my pictures be better? Yeah. Would I do them any justice? Nah.
The biggest upgrade with the a7 is that it has a Full Frame sensor. Basically, twice the size, and more or less twice as nice. It also has a bunch of other little goodies (gyroscope based on screen levelling guides!) but that's the biggest one.

Welp I did it. I finally made my first Amiami preorder. Someone mentioned this beauty being back up and I couldn't say no. Those colors just look too good.

pNpKjlt.jpg

Congratulations.

Giolon

Since we're all here talkin' bout photography, I took some photos of Yuki Mori recently. Here's one along w/ Melda:
A friend picked her up for me in Akihabara like 2 days before her re-release got announced. She's a nice figure, but another one that seems not particularly photogenic.

Since we're all here talkin' bout photography, I took some photos of Yuki Mori recently. Here's one along w/ Melda:

A friend picked her up for me in Akihabara like 2 days before her re-release got announced. She's a nice figure, but another one that seems not particularly photogenic.

Nice photos, sometimes I wish I had started my Yamato collection, but there are too many.

Thanks and ouch...=/
Will have to see if I can find a deal somewhere or something. I have yet to break the century mark on a figure and I will remain stubborn.

Acid08

Banned
The original was a generic school outfit in the colors you would expect. Using this particular variant from the game was a risk. But she's fabulous and she knows it.

This decision would be much easier if GSC would just say whether Sepang Miku and Chiaki are delayed.

I've almost bought the MegaHouse one on several occasions, but I can't justify the 10k she goes for when there really isn't enough detail.

Yeah. That one is really too much for what it is. I really wish they would put her in her Banshee uniform too.

Also wow I really like this 7th Dragon Miku.
HCpOBCi.jpg

Theonik

Nah, Rico is really cute in the show and I like her nendo and all her little artillery cannons a lot.

But she's not Eclair.

Starting with Millhi and Leon nendos makes sense, but Rico seems like kind of a strange pick for a third. If they were gonna stop at 3 DD nendos, why was Eclair not the third?

But now we're getting Eclair so all is fine. The other silver lining in her being so LTTP is she's post-300 meaning she'll have the nice new box style (which is just great)!
WIth S3 we will get Cou-sama. I can feel it.

They are partners with MFC so they should be legit *crosses finger*. The only problem I have is that it took them almost 2 weeks to get everything ready before shipping my item >.<
Yeah I'll pass.

*The conversation will be about something you know about any time now.*
*Any time.
In the meantime, I wish I had more time for animes.
You know, you could learn

I have them, and I used them, they still don't cut so cleanly that you don't need to file down the excess plastic. They were also thicker spruce bits then a gundam kit would typically have. I'll clean it up on a rainy day, but for now my eyes are shot just building it...
With the right cutters and cutting close enough you shouldn't need to clean up. This needs to need painting though and cleaning before is a good thing to do.

And gone. DAMMIT.

She is, but she's a bit on the steep side. She came out before Phat was doing the really killer sculpts.

XD

Does this lovely lady have a name?
I will call her Einbroch.

Wanderer5

Yeah. That one is really too much for what it is. I really wish they would put her in her Banshee uniform too.

Also wow I really like this 7th Dragon Miku.
HCpOBCi.jpg

Probably one of the best looking miku figures to me, least scale wise. I also like the deep sea one a lot that I remember seeing at anime ax.

Man, Mandarake just got a +1 with me. I sent them an e-mail earlier this week asking about my figure, saying that I would like to ask for them to request an inquiry with my PO, I can't do that myself because they need the seller's information. I thought it was a lost cause, but today they answered me, saying that they requested an inquiry The e-mail was full of "sorry", "we'll get back to you as soon as they reply", etc etc.. I know that words won't solve the problem, but I liked the courtesy.

It was a complete different story when I tried to reach my PO (before I sent Mandarake the e-mail). The woman on the phone just said "Ehhh, you'll have to wait". I asked "Can't I do anything?", and she replied "Nah, just wait".

EDIT: I'm doing all this because one of my figures went missing, and I want to know if she's gone or just delayed. My money is on gone, though.

Zerojul

Took about an hour and a half to build, and 5 seconds to put the stickers on poorly

I'm getting to old for tiny print, build by numbers kit, next time I'll just pay for a scale version instead.
Thanks a lot for the pics ! Looks really good, a little panel lining seems doable easily... And the scale is 24k for the size so...
If my monthly Amiami order doesn't grow too much, I might cave in :)

Theonik

Man, Mandarake just got a +1 with me. I sent them an e-mail earlier this week asking about my figure, saying that I would like to ask for them to request an inquiry with my PO, I can't do that myself because they need the seller's information. I thought it was a lost cause, but today they answered me, saying that they requested an inquiry The e-mail was full of "sorry", "we'll get back to you as soon as they reply", etc etc.. I know that words won't solve the problem, but I liked the courtesy.

It was a complete different story when I tried to reach my PO (before I sent Mandarake the e-mail). The woman on the phone just said "Ehhh, you'll have to wait". I asked "Can't I do anything?", and she replied "Nah, just wait".

EDIT: I'm doing all this because one of my figures went missing, and I want to know if she's gone or just delayed. My money is on gone, though.
The Japanese apologise about everything.

Zerojul

So, a lot of preowned Super Robot Chogokins on Amiami today, all of them already sold out. Curse you, GMT+1 !!!! :/

so the Ahri nendo i ordered came in today, she's lovely! i have her at my desk at work next to nendo kongo, sorry for the hastily taken cell phone pic:
So, so cute.

raven777

Yea just made payment confirmation for Samurai recolor. Super excited for this figure.

Yea wondering why Samurai's shipping fee is expensive? Is her box big?

90c9f92f-noscale.jpg

'Revised charges to be paid'

Well, of course... BUT I WANT HER NOW

Any other UK people finding the customs charging/processing pace really hasn't picked up again since Christmas? Usually by now stuff from Japan via EMS is turned over within 4-5 days for me, but a week or more seems depressingly more common. I can understand it over the Christmas period, but we're in the middle of February now... bunch of slackers.

Theonik

90c9f92f-noscale.jpg

'Revised charges to be paid'

Well, of course... BUT I WANT HER NOW

Any other UK people finding the customs charging/processing pace really hasn't picked up again since Christmas? Usually by now stuff from Japan via EMS is turned over within 4-5 days for me, but a week or more seems depressingly more common. I can understand it over the Christmas period, but we're in the middle of February now... bunch of slackers.
You underestimate the Xmas buildup

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been sticking with SAL so I've felt no difference. Three weeks and they're here.

I've been sticking with SAL so I've felt no difference. Three weeks and they're here.

Having tried SAL I've since realised it just isn't for me. Yes, I admit to being massively impatient. Seeing packages sat in order tracking limbo for weeks on end drives me up the wall... can't do it. Want stuff. Gotta go fast.

Theonik

Having tried SAL I've since realised it just isn't for me. Yes, I admit to being massively impatient. Seeing packages sat in order tracking limbo for weeks on end drives me up the wall... can't do it. Want stuff. Gotta go fast.
Depends on where you are. BGBW is close to Royal Mail's hub.

So I was browsing Kan Colle pics trying to find new avatar material, because Freeza's new avatar is distractingly adorable, when I ran across this:

Hair clip, hair style, moe fang(s), about the same size, ...Coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom