• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the advice of the payment plan for sideshow stuff and this year I decided on:

300372-valkyrie-of-the-dead-009.jpg

It came down to her and the batgirl, and after me and my wife discussed it we figured "excluding how perfect the statue is, we can get batgirl stuff everywhere, This one is really gorgeous and unique" so we went with the valkyrie

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Skull kid and his bonus accessory's arrived:

As did the Queen of the Dead:
lAuNrg5.jpg

NJs6S5Z.jpg

0cJb1oL.jpg

Only major flaw I can find is a slight crack in her big toe:
84WuP6B.jpg

Eye placement seems good, maybe a tad off, but not crossed eyed:
SXhxZOi.jpg

More Queen pics to follow!!!

EDIT:
I took the advice of the payment plan for sideshow stuff and this year I decided on:

It came down to her and the batgirl, and after me and my wife discussed it we figured "excluding how perfect the statue is, we can get batgirl stuff everywhere, This one is really gorgeous and unique" so we went with the valkyrie

Great taste confirmed!!!

I ordered Kier today as well. I like most of the COTD statues, but when I saw this one I didn't have to think twice.

Edit: Just took a look at Batgirl. I can see why you like that one as well. The sculpt on her outfit material is pretty amazing and it's based on Stanley Lau's artwork. Great all round.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder when Nintendo UK will send out the Skull Kids to the Ambassadors. Maybe I'll have to wait for the deadline to apply has passed.

I wonder when Nintendo UK will send out the Skull Kids to the Ambassadors. Maybe I'll have to wait for the deadline to apply has passed.

They didn't send me a charger with my MM 3DS XL. Raised a customer service ticket but according to GAF I wasn't the only one so I'm guessing they'll be fairly swamped right now.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes

They didn't send me a charger with my MM 3DS XL. Raised a customer service ticket but according to GAF I wasn't the only one so I'm guessing they'll be fairly swamped right now.

I got my charger sent out over the weekend, then this package today, so they do things weird...

--------------

Queen round 3, minions:

Ok, Sideshow said they are removable, and could be put where ever you want. They lied. If you don't plug these guy's in there are nasty little holes in the base where they are supposed to go into it. Also they have pegs, not magnets, and fit so snug and tight they don't want to come out of them.

See this guy, don't plug him in first like I did, you should plug the dark one first this guy goes in last.
VYobPX9.jpg

PMNM7QB.jpg

16tYB3I.jpg

hJVX6aE.jpg

So if you don't like them, you can leave them off, and use the cloth she comes with to hide the holes (or even her feet if need be) but if you plug them in to take pictures, expect to take 20 minutes trying to get them back out without damaging anything.

Arkadios

Hello there, and welcome to H3XAntiStyle's basic guide to basic photography! Featuring lots of pictures (I mean seriously it's a photography guide there should be lots of pictures. Your ISP can go suck it for all I care)!
In this tutorial, you'll get some basic advice, basic instruction, and some basic trains of thought, but not learn how to program in the Basic coding language! Ask someone else for that!

Here's what we'll cover:
Equipment!
Thought processes!
Framing!
More framing! It's the gud stuff!
Controlling light!
Aperture
Exposure
ISO
And some Flash! (I hate my life)

But first and most importantly, a disclaimer!
I am not a professional photographer, and do not consider myself to be of any particular skill. I do, however, know a lot of the knowledge, and learning the basics is the most daunting part of photography! The more people that learn how to make that jump from a festering spud covered potato to a photo they are proud to have as their computer/phone wallpaper, the better!

And here we go! I'd put it in nice little fold out chapters, but that's not how this forum works. Too bad.

First off, Composition/Framing
Now you're probably thinking to yourself, "But Hex! All I have is a potato! I can't take good pictures!" and while on some level I agree with you, there's one other very important part of photography that doesn't give a rat's ass what camera you have: Composition. Essentially, where the things in your photo are.
Things you want to consider with your framing and composition are numerous, but the biggest one is, how does this make my subject look? A full body, profile framing that goes from just below the feet to above the head is very good for showing something off, but isn't particularly exciting. In fact, most of the times it's kind of boring. It isn't particularly dynamic.
How do you make a photo more dynamic? Easy! Move things around. Move your subject from dead center. Have them standing at an angle. Do not capture the feet in the photo. How many portraits have you ever seen where the feet were visible? None? There's a reason for that. Zoom in some. People want to see the face, the chest, the hands (if they are doing something), but usually the feet are boring, and having the framing cover the feet takes focus away from everything else.
The go to guideline for better framing is the rule of thirds. Essentially, your phone or camera should have a setting on it where you can have gridlines show up on your screen/viewfinder, cutting the screen into 9 rectangles. You typically want the focus of your camera to be on one of the corners of the rectangles.
Let's see some examples.

Sweet, got that taken care of. Now you have some ideas on ways to frame your shots, you've immediately improved your picture taking capabilities! Whoo! But wait, what's that? You hate your potato? It's taking root into your desk and you can't remove it? Well now you have a tripod for it!
No good? Okay, let's talk about the next thing: Equipment.

Now, if all of this is new to you, you might want to go sit in a corner and let it all sink in for a bit. But if you already know some composition, and you already have your gear, and you're ready to learn more about taking control of your photos, we can start delving into
The Hard Shit. ™

Photography is the art of taking all those billions of photons called light and trapping them forever into a tiny little pixel cage where we can mock and jeer at them for all eternity. Or something like that. Because of this nature, light and how to use it is the single most important part of photography. It's essential. It's what lets you do the big boy stuff after you've mastered it (I'm still learning myself, really). Unfortunately, it's also really complicated, but thankfully any time that you're able to take your time, once you know the basics of it, you can easily adjust everything, taking practice shot after practice shot, till everything's perfect. You really don't need to just "know" the perfect settings, the first time. So let's dive in!

First things first: Always shoot in RAW format. I don't care. Just do it. You'll thank me later. Buy a bigger SD card if you have to, those are the cheapest component you'll have.

THE HOLY TRINITY OF LIGHT
Aperture, Exposure, and ISO. These three things are the primary features of your shiny new camera that you need to learn. How well your photo is lit, or how dark it is, is entirely dependent on the balance of these three factors. But, as I'm sure you've figured out, all three have different side effects as you adjust them. First, we'll talk about Aperture.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:
Photography is an immense hobby! It's one you can do anywhere! With anything! You can literally take a really good photo of a piece of trash if you know what you're doing. The important thing is to always experiment, always practice.
If there's one piece of advice that I would say supersedes all of this, it's this: Take 100 photos, and only show off 10 of them." You'll rarely get the *perfect* shot on your first snap -- take as many as you can stand, and then pick only the very best of them to show off. Composition is the most important -- you can post process to clean anything else up or work around it, but composition is what will ultimately determine your "best" from your "good". Only show the best.

AND THAT'S ALL FOR NOW! I may edit this with a new flash tutorial, but for now,
use this old guide I wrote, focusing on using the pop up flash. Most of the techniques in there at least apply to larger flashes.

edit: lrn2closetags

I approve and encourage anyone with photography knowledge to post more tuts about the matter. Your efforts would be immensely helpful and appreciated.

Contributing, This blog has tutorials about lightning for figures(NSFW, as you can tell by the name): http://www.tentaclearmada.com/2013/...art-1-getting-started-with-creative-lighting/

I also approve more plushies getting posted here, there are some good ones out there but they never got much love in discussions.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 2wei! Prisma Illya 1/8 The Beast ver. by Broccoli up for pre-order
Broccoli opens pre-orders today for their 1/8 scale figure of Prisma Illya from “Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 2wei!” in her The Beast version. Illya has been sculpted in a cat outfit and comes with Magical Ruby, posed on a cat-paw shaped base which is 1 cm thick and 11.5 cm cm long.

Sculpted by Konen, Prisma Illya The Beast ver. by Broccoli stands 19 cm tall and is scheduled for release in October 2015, with a list price of ¥9800.
FIGURE-010194.jpg

8,630 JPY; Release Date: early Oct-2015
===================================
Event: Wonder Festival Winter 2015 - Bishojo Booths
t.jpg

Maybe a more appropriate and fashionable title for this post would be There Cannot Possibly Be This Many Bishojo Figures Under One Roof At The Same Time but OMG There Sure Are, or BishOMG for short. Scroll down to see what we mean!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Event: Wonder Festival Winter 2015 - Alter, Kotobukiya and Bandai Booths
t.jpg

What did Alter, Kotobukiya and Bandai have in store for us on their Wonder Festival booth floors? We're glad you asked!
===================================
Nendoroid Tomoyo Kanzaki
Hello everyone, Kahotan here! (@gsc_kahotan)

If I could have any super power, I would pick teleportation! I would never have to ride the crowded train to work again! (if only…)

Anyway, today I’m going to be taking a look at…

Nendoroid Tomoyo Kanzaki ☆
o0515040613214294942.jpg

From the anime series ‘Inou Battle Within Everyday Life’ comes a Nendoroid of Tomoyo Kanzaki, the closet otaku who wields the ‘Closed Clock’ power – the power to control time! Tomoyo comes with three expressions including a smiling expression, a cute winking expression as well as a face that shows just how carried away she can get with her power!

She also comes with a huge selection of optional parts allowing you to recreate a number of scenes from the series! She also comes with a ‘Special Power Name Plate’! Fill your own life with supernatural battles!
Hyaahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! (*´Д`)=з

One of the few people who can keep up with Jurai’s wild discussions with her abundance of otaku knowledge – Nendoroid Tomoyo Kanzaki!! ♥︎

She has been sculpting wearing her Senkou High School uniform which looks adorable in Nendoroid size! Her star shaped hairpins as well as a waistline that really shows off her lovely curves have all been faithfully shrunk down!

This is how she looks from the back!
o0515047613214294642.jpg

Her half tied-up hair also looks lovely! ☆

The dark to light gradient from the tips of her hair up has also been preserved on the Nendoroid! Along with the winking expression above, she also comes with…

A more composed, smiling expression! ♡
o0515041713214294941.jpg

Tomoyo is always taking care of things on the Literature Club, and this expression shows she definitely has a good nature to her…

However! There is another side that had to be included!

It wouldn’t be Tomoyo without including this expression!! (`・д´・ ;)
o0515040113214294643.jpg

Ooooooooooooohhhh!! (/ω\)

I have not changed the pose at all from the previous photo… and yet suddenly she looks so very different! ♥︎

Plus another special part that woks perfectly with this expression…

“Be trapped in a pocket of time, wandering for all eternity!! “
o0515039613214294641.jpg

A Power Name Plate!

When the powers were first introduced in the first episode they were shown with a name plate! I combined that with the pose from episode five to create a rather interesting situation!

The plate itself is a transparent sheet of plastic that can be attached to the Nendoroid stand using a special attachment piece that is included! (。・ω・)ノ゙

Tomoyo’s power if ‘Closed Clock’! The power to control time! ♡

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well they did say it would be after sending out MM3D so I didn't expect it with my game. In fact one way of getting it is by registering a copy of the game with Club Nintendo so they have to wait for the game to come out before dealing with those customers. That's why I mentioned a deadline.

omlet

Hello there, and welcome to H3XAntiStyle's basic guide to basic photography!
Good write-up, thanks.

Still working on experimenting with my new camera. Those recent photos I did of Tart were my first time to actually try a proper figure shoot with my light tent I made like two years ago to do some jewelry photography. Gotta agree with the tentaclearmada guy; not a great tool for the job for anything bigger than a nendo. Just not much room to work with. His lighting guide is great and gave me some ideas to try.

I feel like lighting is my current challenge and that's just gonna take some experimenting. For the Tart photos as an example, I like how most of them turned out, but I didn't like how warm the lighting was in a few shots (not that they look bad, IMO, just that there is some inconsistency between shots. If you feel like giving any critique/comments regarding things done well or poorly in that shoot, I'm all ears.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Those court of the dead statues are amazing. So much attention to detail, so much creativity in the designs. It's art. I can't afford them but it's nice to see those pics, keep'em coming.

Stop teasing me with your Metal Slug, Baka :p
It was another point of reference for scale, not everyone got a Samus Amiibo, Skull Kids the new Hotness, and the New 3DS box works for scael as well... I'm gonna get one of the Nendo's down here for one last shot of the Metal Slug.

Knowing how short Skull Kid is, I can easily deduce that tank must be tiny. Hope it wasn't expensive :\
It was 3.7K, compared to the scale version that's the same size, that was 29k retail/ 25k Amiami discount price it's very affordable...

Stop posting that adorable Metal Slug tank :mad:

I can't add anything more to my order.

I was just gonna take one more, with a nendo, it'll make you pass on it easily...

-----------------------------

Last of the Queen shots for now:

Added her cloth for finishing her off:

Bonus bad shot of her new home, she looks sorta like she's leaning a bit more then she should though, not sure...

Oh wow, the Tomoyo Nendo is looking better and better. I love the Closed Clock card behind her, haha.
If they continue on with Inou Battle Nendos it'd be awesome if they all had their power descriptions behind them.

Zerojul

It was another point of reference for scale, not everyone got a Samus Amiibo, Skull Kids the new Hotness, and the New 3DS box works for scael as well... I'm gonna get one of the Nendo's down here for one last shot of the Metal Slug.

Just kidding, I'd like to see what you do with your tank when/if you find time to paint it :)
And I agree that your Queen seems to be leaning a wee bit on that last shot, but that could be my eyes.

FrostyCollects

Neo Member
Just nabbed the Iona Nendo when she turned up on my AmiAmi's Watch List by surprise (as new stock) this morning. Could have bought her earlier when she was readily available but I wasn't sure if GSC would give us other Arpeggio of Blue Steel characters. I prefer having groups, not singles, with a few exceptions. Now we'll be getting Takao (preordered) and Kirishima (announced). Hope they'll also do Haruna and Kongō before moving on.

They'll make an excellent "extension" to my growing KanColle fleet. :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Between this and the lightsaber Kirito one looking like an awkward combat/dance hybrid, SAO isn't faring especially well in the latest crop of figures.

Kirito has a surprising lack of good figurines for a popular character. The Nendo and Figma and that's it.

Alter, MF or GSC should make her. It could be my first Saber figure if they do.
Man I'd love to post plenty of Akibaphotography photos etc if they allowed hotlinking, too lazy to rehost their images XD.

Also could be your first Saber? So many Saber figures, what stood out for this one?

Good write-up, thanks.

Still working on experimenting with my new camera. Those recent photos I did of Tart were my first time to actually try a proper figure shoot with my light tent I made like two years ago to do some jewelry photography. Gotta agree with the tentaclearmada guy; not a great tool for the job for anything bigger than a nendo. Just not much room to work with. His lighting guide is great and gave me some ideas to try.

I feel like lighting is my current challenge and that's just gonna take some experimenting. For the Tart photos as an example, I like how most of them turned out, but I didn't like how warm the lighting was in a few shots (not that they look bad, IMO, just that there is some inconsistency between shots. If you feel like giving any critique/comments regarding things done well or poorly in that shoot, I'm all ears.
Hrm. Looking at it, it looks like your white balance is adjusting between the pictures, and that's what's giving it the inconsistency. If you shoot in RAW, you can use a program like LightRoom to adjust the white balance after the fact, which will let you get that consistency that you're missing here.
If you're ever doing a bunch of shots that you want to be consistent, you need to make sure that you manually set the white balance yourself. As with anything, test shots are your friend.

Also I'm REEEEAAALLLY glad people liked the guide. I might make some future addendums talking about Lightroom or Flash later, but that took about two hours to write as it was haha. I might even split it off as its own topic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So Walt, I thought the new 3ds wasn't coming with a charger. Did Nintendo pull an Xbone with this?

Nintendo UK offered a free charger if you bought it from their store.

Basically they offer everything at RRP but to compete with other stores that will undercut them in price they just offer extra things for free.

Theonik

Nintendo UK offered a free charger if you bought it from their store.

Basically they offer everything at RRP but to compete with other stores that will undercut them in price they just offer extra things for free.
RRP is illegal anyway so it's more a secret Nintendo price thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom