• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kierwynn

My fiance discovered this Raiden figure and bought him right away. lol Unfortunately, now I can't get my Honoka figure I wanted (which I noticed was in stock now lol) cause Raiden was a bit of an impulse buy, but he doesn't have very many figures and has been wanting a nice scale figure himself for awhile now, so I didn't want him to miss out. At least Raiden looks cool and lights up or something. lol

Luigi87

My fiance discovered this Raiden figure and bought him right away. lol Unfortunately, now I can't get my Honoka figure I wanted (which I noticed was in stock now lol) cause Raiden was a bit of an impulse buy, but he doesn't have very many figures and has been wanting a nice scale figure himself for awhile now, so I didn't want him to miss out. At least Raiden looks cool and lights up or something. lol

Those are just the rules of nature. It has to be this way.

Please tell me this isn't a GK. TENRYUUUUU <3

No GK. They're both from Ques Q.

tumblr_njixophl7l1qzdctco1_500.jpg
tumblr_njixoa72rF1qzdctco1_500.jpg

If I ever buy boatgirls it will be these two. Their potential to lean scares me though.

Have they appeared in the show yet?

Yeah, the leaning potential would definitely make me leery if I was a purchaser of non-Abyssals.

They haven't show up in the show yet as far as I know.

omlet

Okay, guys, looking for some ideas.

With more scales and nendos on the way, within a couple months my DETOLF are gonna be overflowing again if I keep the nendos in there, so I am thinking about taking them out and letting them have their own space. Problem is, I'm not sure what that's gonna be.

1) Getting another single DETOLF is an option, but not a desirable one because I can't comfortably fit another one on these raiser shelves I built. I could fit one more on the far right side where the PlayStations are but then it would narrow the viewing angle of the TV and you wouldn't be able to see the bottom shelf while sitting at the desk.

2a) Build a 3' raiser (so half the size of the two I have now) to hold two more DETOLF and put it where my figures used to be and set it up similar to my current setup.

2b) Get some other kind of non-glass shelf (billy, etc. since IMO nendos don't benefit as much from the extra viewing angles as scales do) and put it in the same place. Downside to either option here is that the setup would be behind me when I'm in the room using the TV or PC.

3a) Another idea I had was to either build or buy some kind of thin shelf and run it along the wall above my TV and/or desk. Downside here would be they'd collect dust, but on the plus side, it would line up almost perfectly with the DETOLF in the corner and the top of the TV. Something like this:

3b) Going off the above, rather than just a lightweight open-air shelf, I could try to design something a little heavier to maybe use plexi/glass to keep dust out, but that may be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Thoughts on these ideas, or any other suggestions?

WWFGD?

3b) Going off the above, rather than just a lightweight open-air shelf, I could try to design something a little heavier to maybe use plexi/glass to keep dust out, but that may be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

WWFGD?

I never put things above my TV simply because I'm terrified of the result of the shelf giving at some point. I'll put a framed something-something on the wall behind the TV, but not something that would hang away from the wall over it... I'd say buy yourself some nice art prints to put over the TV.

With more scales and nendos on the way, within a couple months my DETOLF are gonna be overflowing again if I keep the nendos in there, so I am thinking about taking them out and letting them have their own space. Problem is, I'm not sure what that's gonna be.

1) Getting another single DETOLF is an option, but not a desirable one because I can't comfortably fit another one on these raiser shelves I built. I could fit one more on the far right side where the PlayStations are but then it would narrow the viewing angle of the TV and you wouldn't be able to see the bottom shelf while sitting at the desk.

2a) Build a 3' raiser (so half the size of the two I have now) to hold two more DETOLF and put it where my figures used to be and set it up similar to my current setup.

2b) Get some other kind of non-glass shelf (billy, etc. since IMO nendos don't benefit as much from the extra viewing angles as scales do) and put it in the same place. Downside to either option here is that the setup would be behind me when I'm in the room using the TV or PC.

3a) Another idea I had was to either build or buy some kind of thin shelf and run it along the wall above my TV and/or desk. Downside here would be they'd collect dust, but on the plus side, it would line up almost perfectly with the DETOLF in the corner and the top of the TV. Something like this:

WWFGD?

Are you wanting the Nendo's in a case, or out in the open? How about the ribba photo shelves from Ikea?

They are what I currently have my son's amiibos displayed on in his room.

amiibo-collection_zpswzurj6kd.jpg

WWFGD?

I have a wooden shelf above my TV for figs. They're just for nendos and figmas. I was paranoid of it falling at first.

omlet

Thanks for the input, guys.
I never put things above my TV simply because I'm terrified of the result of the shelf giving at some point. I'll put a framed something-something on the wall behind the TV, but not something that would hang away from the wall over it... I'd say buy yourself some nice art prints to put over the TV.

That's a good point for heavy stuff, and one reason I'd probably not do anything heavyweight... For just an open, light-weight shelf with nendos on it I wouldn't be worried about that falling. Even if it did it wouldn't hurt the TV.

Are you wanting the Nendo's in a case, or out in the open? How about the ribba photo shelves from Ikea?

As for case vs out in the open, that's less an issue to me as visible vs invisible (being behind me). If being visible means they're out in the open air, that's OK. I'll check if IKEA has anything like what you're using there in a size/color that will work. Problem is IKEA is a 4 hour drive away for me. I'd probably rather spend the 9 hours building it myself instead of making a round trip to IKEA. This isn't like a DETOLF where it's something I really couldn't build myself.

Edit: The LACK http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50282182/ is almost perfect and is a good price. However, being pre-built, I'd need to buy raisers for the nendos which would be additional cost.

3a is great imo. I am pondering something like this in the new apartment. Just make sure it's very well supported.

Yeah, with that much length I'd be going over 3 or 4 wall studs so plenty of support should be no problem.

I have a wooden shelf above my TV for figs. They're just for nendos and figmas. I was paranoid of it falling at first.

Hm, yeah, I was thinking something that was only one shelf, to keep it lightweight. I'd probably either build in a step or get some small acrylic raisers so that I could put two rows of nendos on it

srst

WWFGD?

You can try getting a custom acrylic display case from here.
http://www.casesforcollectibles.com
I have a few from them. They build pretty good thick, sturdy, swirl free boxes.

As for case vs out in the open, that's less an issue to me as visible vs invisible (being behind me). If being visible means they're out in the open air, that's OK. I'll check if IKEA has anything like what you're using there in a size/color that will work. Problem is IKEA is a 4 hour drive away for me. I'd probably rather spend the 9 hours building it myself instead of making a round trip to IKEA. This isn't like a DETOLF where it's something I really couldn't build myself.

Yeah they'd certainly be easy enough to build and you'd be able to customize the length. You'd also avoid the lip at the front that the Ribba have.

ribba-picture-ledge-black__0084925_PE212073_S4.JPG

They only come in 2 colours, white and black and only in 2 sizes, 21 3/4" and 45 1/4".

Edit: The LACK http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50282182/ is almost perfect and is a good price. However, being pre-built, I'd need to buy raisers for the nendos which would be additional cost.

I've installed about a half dozen of those now. Pretty straight forward. I think they are rated to hold up to 35lbs. The only thing I notice with them is that some don't sit exactly square off of the wall. There's more depth to those then the ribba so you could implement some risers with them to add more nendos. Maybe mount one or two above your TV lining up with the the shelves of the detolfs.

omlet

I've installed about a half dozen of those now. Pretty straight forward. I think they are rated to hold up to 35lbs. The only thing I notice with them is that some don't sit exactly square off of the wall. There's more depth to those then the ribba so you could implement some risers with them to add more nendos. Maybe mount one or two above your TV lining up with the the shelves of the detolfs.

How do these install with 16" stud spacing? I looked at the assembly PDF on ikea site and these look like they're not designed to only be screwed in on the studs.

I'm not ruling them out yet but I could go get another piece of 72"x16" project pine from the hardware store, slice it in two, and have two shelves for $15 (plus a few bucks for mounting hardware, paint, etc.) that would perfectly match my floor shelves.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
I see your Arshes Nei is fully clothed.

I like her this way. :p

She's Tenryuu. She does look bad-ass, but she goes dere-mode when Tatsuta's around.

If I was buying shipgirls these two would be in my collection, much better design then most shipgirls...

WWFGD?

If you put a shelf above your TV you gonna want to put it higher, as you have to get back there from time to time, and the figures on that shelf will gather more dust because of the TV, I've got a shelf above my TV and it's a pain to keep those figures dust free.

How do these install with 16" stud spacing? I looked at the assembly PDF on ikea site and these look like they're not designed to only be screwed in on the studs.

I'm not ruling them out yet but I could go get another piece of 72"x16" project pine from the hardware store, slice it in two, and have two shelves for $15 (plus a few bucks for mounting hardware, paint, etc.) that would perfectly match my floor shelves.

That PDF off of the site needs to be updated. The metal bracket that installs to the wall has holes all the way through about every inch. So hitting studs every 16" isn't a problem. There are no post coming out from the bracket anymore either. There's a lip that slides into the shelf that you screw into from underneath the shelf. Looking at the bracket from the side it looks like an L. I think it jets out about 3 inches or so if memory serves me. I think design wise, that's were it kinda falters. The lip doesn't extend as far as those posts likely did. So keeping the shelf squre to the wall is harder since the support doesn't reach the edge of the shelf.

I actually just through out the instruction manual I had for those. Would have scanned them for you otherwise.

Finished dusting all my waifus. Phew. Now I can take my time and figure out what I want to swap out. I need to make room for Freddy-chan and Jason-chan, as well as Kotobukiya Sinon. Probably Samurai recolor, too, since she's on her way.

I'm curious on those who want the Pit/Pitoo Figma, I'm guessing you didn't bother preordering at first release (IIRC there wasn't much fuss about it when it was revealed) or did you all come to collecting late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom